IGNORED

Your Other Preferred Religion/Worldview

Soldier of the One

I'm a Reform Jew and if I changed, I'd probably be a Conservative Jew, haha - but in case that's not enough of a change for this purpose, I'd probably be either Pagan or Unitarian Universalist. No Christianity for me, I must say.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The practice of Jainism is pretty hardcore. Lots and lots of fasting and intense food restrictions. It's like being an ultra-vegan - you're not allowed to eat anything that would have to die for you, including root vegetables.

Some Jains fast every other day for an entire year. They are very serious about this non-violence business

Interesting how many people mention either Judaism or Buddhism.

I don't think I have quite what it takes to become a Jain. Maybe I'd be a sort of half-hearted Jain. I'm not fond of fasting or meditation, either. Hmmm, and that "seven levels of hell" thing (even if not permanent) strikes me immoral. Maybe I'll change my vote.

When I was little, I wanted to be half-Jewish so I could celebrate Hanukkah. I still think Jewish rituals and holidays are interesting, but I can't believe in monotheism. I hate the idea of Buddhism, so that one's definitely not for me.

I don't think I have quite what it takes to become a Jain. Maybe I'd be a sort of half-hearted Jain. I'm not fond of fasting or meditation, either. Hmmm, and that "seven levels of hell" thing (even if not permanent) strikes me immoral. Maybe I'll change my vote.

When I was little, I wanted to be half-Jewish so I could celebrate Hanukkah. I still think Jewish rituals and holidays are interesting, but I can't believe in monotheism. I hate the idea of Buddhism, so that one's definitely not for me.

If the Eastern traditions don't do it for you, you're not a monotheist but you love ritual... how about one of the Reconstructionist Paganisms for ya? :)

I took the BeliefNet one just now.

1. Reform Judaism (100%)

2. Orthodox Judaism (86%)

3. Sikhism (82%)

Oddly, I'm leaning towards Conservative Judaism.

lol those were my results too! & I'm a reform Jew!

Hm. If you had asked me when I was 12 I would have said Amish. I spent a LOT of time reading LIttle House on the Prairie as a child plus a ton of those Amish novels they sell at rest stops and I will admit I still have a romantic view of the farming life, even though I know I'm not really suited for it - can't even keep a backyard garden alive for a whole summer, and I hate early mornings and hot weather.

Nowadays I'd switch to UCC (and in fact would seriously think about it if the nearest one weren't so far away), or if I have to pick something not Christian (I was raised Presbyterian) then probably Reform Judaism. Which I'm sort of doing anyway, as I married a Reform Jew and we are raising our daughter Jewish.

I'm atheist (probably). I think I would become agnostic. Is that a cop out?

Edit: I read other posts and now I am regretting my hasty decision. I think I would go Unitarian. I am thinking of going to look at a Unitarian church but I'm kind of scared to do it.

I was scared at first too... because I was an atheist for years and all religion scared the crap out of me. But rest assured, there are even ATHEISTS in the Unitarian church! And once you go there, you'll realize it's the kind of church community you've been looking for your whole life... you get the community part.... and you can also learn about the wisdom in a ton of other faiths... AND you have people to vent with about fundies (in person).... And it's opening and welcoming of LGBTs. I love my UU church!

And in answer to this question, if I picked something else, I'd go United Church of Christ cuz that's probably the only Christian sect I could stomach.

:?

I'm an atheist, so picking out another religion/worldview is basically asking me which god I'd nominally believe in. Or asking me which set of beliefs I can stomach the best and which rituals I think are the prettiest.

I think I'd just go Quaker.

If the Eastern traditions don't do it for you, you're not a monotheist but you love ritual... how about one of the Reconstructionist Paganisms for ya?

Nah, it's a little hippie for me. ;)

I think the problem for me is that I don't really like rituals. I think they're interesting to observe, but I don't get any sense of peace or comfort from them. On the contrary, I usually get a little creeped out. So most of the religions around the world don't seem like they would work. I wouldn't mind celebrating Hanukkah or Holi, but I'd mostly be into those religions for the food or the fun traditions.

This thread got me thinking so I went off and did a 'which religion' quiz and turns out I'm 100% Unitarian Universalism.

Now I'm off to find out who they are. :D

I did a quiz too. I am very happy where I am at and it showed in the results, 100% liberal Protestant. But if I had to pick something else I'd choose the Ancient Egyptian polytheistic religion.

I'm certain I'd be a Scientologist, Sea Org, Office of Special Affairs...which is like the CIA for Scientology.

I'd want have access to all the parishoner's ethics folders so I could use the knowledge of their crimes and confessions for my personal gains and extortion efforts. And I'd also be privy to any executive files from HCO, granting me unlimited opportunities to tweak the command chains. Oh the atrocities I would commit in the name of social engineering!

Even the Pope can't have this kind of fun...

:?

I'm an atheist, so picking out another religion/worldview is basically asking me which god I'd nominally believe in. Or asking me which set of beliefs I can stomach the best and which rituals I think are the prettiest.

I think I'd just go Quaker.

I'd go Quaker too (although that's really a denomination change I suppose versus religion change), except that I don't think I could handle being quiet for that long!

Archived