IGNORED

Your Other Preferred Religion/Worldview

Soldier of the One

I don't really subscribe to one religion, though I was raised Catholic. It was a nasty habit, so I gave it up. I toyed with Reform Judaism, was subsequently annoyed by the Messianics who came to convert the real Jews, and then just hid from all organized religion. If I had to pick from here, I'd lean towards Rastafarianism with all it's Bob Marley One Love Glory, although I hear that it's not really that peaches-and-cream of a movement... I'd like to find out though. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The practice of Jainism is pretty hardcore. Lots and lots of fasting and intense food restrictions. It's like being an ultra-vegan - you're not allowed to eat anything that would have to die for you, including root vegetables.

Some Jains fast every other day for an entire year. They are very serious about this non-violence business :)

Interesting how many people mention either Judaism or Buddhism.

LOL! Good thread idea!

If I was religiously inclined I would be a Muslim.

I took the quiz and these were my results:

Your Top 3 Faith Match Profiles Are:

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)

2. Liberal Quakers (96%)

3. Unitarian Universalism (86%)

I'm an ELCA cradle Lutheran. If I left I think I'd be UU.

My results were nearly the same, with the percentages being slightly different. I did get 100% for mainline to liberal Christian Protestant, though. I was raised Episcopalian (except for when my mom went fundie). I answered the questions as if I believed in the existence of a God. I have really been questioning my faith over the past couple of years, and am unsure of whether or not I believe that there is a God, and whether or not I should believe in a religion (even if the version I believe is liberal) that follows the Bible, since it's full of a lot of negative aspects. I have been considering trying to approach it without paying attention to Paul's writings, but anyway...

If I did change religions, I would probably be UU. That is, if I decided to follow any religion, because I may wind up as an atheist. If that doesn't count, I would probably convert to Reform Judaism, mostly because I think that the cultural aspect of the religion is so beautiful. I grew up around a lot of Reform Jewish kids, and always loved the tradition (I'm big some of the trappings of tradition, which is most of the appeal of the Episcopal church, at least at the moment). I would choose Reform, because it's more liberal, and I think I'd be more likely to be accepted into the Reform community than the Conservative or Orthodox communities.

This is a difficult one for me. I'm an Anglican Christian, leaning towards the high-church/Anglo-Catholic end of the spectrum (the range of beliefs within Anglicanism is VERY diverse, which is part of what I love about it). I love a lot of Catholic aspects of worship, for instance use of incense during services, the rosary, some of the Catholic perspective on Mary (but oddly enough not other saints), Catholic mysticism and the general use of ritual and art. However, I am also a feminist and liberal on topics such as female clergy, LGBTQ people and have problems with key aspects of Catholicism (eg the perpetual virginity of Mary, the role of the Pope, the role of priests and their inability to marry) so I don't think it would really work.

I've been to Quaker meetings and I am 100% in agreement with them on issues of social justice, equality, spiritual development etc, but I missed singing and ritual and for me personally, having communion every week is extremely important to me.

My beliefnet results are

100% Orthodox Quaker

96% Mainline to Conservative Protestant (really not how I would describe myself lol)

92% Mainline to Liberal Protestant

Personally, I find my current belief system of high-church but liberal Anglicanism (and liberals are mostly in more Catholic-style churches) to be a perfect fit.

I honestly don't know because I have absolutely no belief in any god whatsoever. So it is difficult to to ascribe my non belief to any other religion.

If I did believe in a god, I suppose I would like to explore the Jewish side of my heritage. I also find Islam fascinating too.

Agnostic and I would love to join a UU (for the community, and sharing services appeals to me a lot), but they don't operate here :(( so, that's actually my first choice and I'm currently doing the second (ie, nothing :)), I guess.

I don't think meditation and spiritual expression should be a hallmark of any particular religion, anyway. For me, it's something I need and have to do, albeit not often, and I love to visit any churches and holy places that will have me, have taken part in (and enjoyed) christian mass, etc; but am personally strongly opposed to any kind of exclusive organized religion. So, I'll cherry pick everything and anything but probably won't ever commit to any pre-packaged belief set.

1) seventh Day Adventist

2) Conservative Christian/ Protestant

3) eastern orthodox

I'm am positive I didn't put I was a YEC! How did I get SDA?

I just took the what religion should i be quiz and got

Islam 100%

Orthodox Judaism 100%

Sikhism 89%

I don't know if I could ever go Orthodox. Maybe conservative, but orthodox has too many rules, and I wouldn't like not being able to touch my husband for 2 weeks a month.

I took two different quizzes and they both came out to Buddhism. I was baptised a Protestant but raised without religion. I would probably go with Judaism, not Buddhism, though.

I took the Beliefnet quiz too. I got:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)

2. Secular Humanism (95%)

3. Liberal Quakers (91%)

I quite like the ritual of traditional Anglican services as this is what I experienced at school. There's something special about the sense of community with the recitation of familiar words. I really love to sing, especially the old hymns, so don't mind going to services with good music so I can belt them out.

I believe that the central tenet of every religion is to treat others with respect, care and love, as you would wish to be treated. All religions just have different ways of achieving that. I think I would pick UU then Buddhism. There's a UU congregation in my city - one day I'll get brave enough to go!

I can't go back to be monotheist now, I think Pagan Jews are very interesting though, but seems such a small community :P I don't know enough about hinduism... Strangely my (christian) roommate was saying that Hinduism was monotheist to some extent in a passive aggressive way to say that I must be super weird to be polytheist, because ya know even the biggest poly religion is actually mono. I haven't searched that but I'm pretty sure she must be projecting too much into hinduism...

I took the BeliefNet one just now.

1. Reform Judaism (100%)

2. Orthodox Judaism (86%)

3. Sikhism (82%)

Oddly, I'm leaning towards Conservative Judaism.

I'm a scandalously liberal Christian. If I someday renounce altogether I'll be a witch. I'm already too "witchy" in my beliefs and practices for a lot of Christians.

I have a similar "problem." :lol:

I took that quiz a few yrs back, and if I remember #1 was neo-Pagan, 2 was UU and 3 was Budhist.

Fits my beliefs about right.

I am an Evangelical Friends member (conservative Christian), I could go for Catholicism or Judaism. I like how charitable Catholics are which is similar to my current beliefs although they take communion every Mass. I'm not sure. I do like where I'm at now. My my mom is agnostic. She seems happy enough. But helping others outside the family isn't part of how she lives. I would have trouble with that. I would also like a faith that has quietness and letting God move in the heart.

eta: I took the belief net quiz and it gave me this assessment

Mormon 100%

Jehovah's Witness 91%

Conservative Christian 81%

I wouldn't come up with that list. lol

I took that BeliefNet quiz. I'm pretty sure I had taken it before, but I don't remember my results and I couldn't dig them up in any of my old emails. Today's results were:

1. Reform Judaism 100%

2. Sikhism 87%

3. Orthodox Judaism 86%

Which is interesting because I'm currently nothing and leaning towards Reform or Conservative Judaism.

I am a Quaker....but I'm not sure where I would go with another religion.

The only person I have ever met who talked religion in a way that felt personal and yet spiritual to me was an elderly Rabbi, I always said if he lived nearer to me I would have joined his congregation....so I guess I would be a Reform Jew.

Seems like Buddhism and Judaism are topping the charts!

Interesting how some of you who scored high on Judaism also scored high on Sikhism, like what I said in my original post. I should take that test again :)

Anything where I can't eat bacon is out. OUT. In fact, anything which tries to proscribe what I eat or wear is out.

Hmm, maybe a Quaker, it'd be cool to walk around calling everyone thee and thou, or do they still do that?

I'm Jewish (modern Orthodox), and my 2nd choice would easily be Baha'i. It doesn't have anything that is really offensive to my current belief system, there's no history of hating Jews, and I like the focus on peace and tolerance and equality and social justice, and the idea that they see all of the major world religions as containing some divine revelation.

Is it weird that hubby and I have actually had this conversation between ourselves?

I took it assuming I was suddenly theist and:

1. Reform Judaism (100%)

2. Liberal Quakers (91%)

3. Unitarian Universalism (90%)

Whereas regular me gets:

1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)

3. Liberal Quakers (80%)

I've always thought I'd be Jewish if I were theist. I'd be a Reform Jew based on social issues, not observance, I think I would enjoy and find meaning in observance. I feel illogically invested in the idea of the continued existence of Jews, for some reason. Maybe that's just lots of trips to Holocaust museums/memorials in school. Not to say I have anything against any race/faith but there's no logical reason for me to be more invested in one than another, and I am.

I think it'd be illogical to definitely say there's no god of any kind, since that's unknowable, but I've never experienced faith. I wish I had, I've tried, it's never worked. I feel like I'm missing out, so I'm definitely not a smug-type atheist. The factual correctness or incorrectness of religion doesn't bother me, I'm wrong all the time and I don't have a problem with admitting when I am. So if I die and it turns out it was the Mormons all along... well, so be it.

I just don't FEEL theist. I really oughta sit down with myself sometime and examine if something's changed and I won't acknowledge it because I have part of my identity wrapped up in atheism. I'm as prone to magical thinking as the next person.

Damn, I think I'm having an identity crisis now.

Hmmm. I would be a Catholic but only if they let me be a nun and wear a really cool habit. Or Quaker, because I'm interested in checking them out for reals. Maybe a witch but only if I can be just like Samantha off of Bewitched. (yes, I know some you of already told me I do some wiccan/pagan things unknowingly already but it isn't the same thing as Samantha.) So I guess I would have to stick with Church of Pugism. It's a very loveing church and everyone one is thrilled beyond belief to see you.

Archived