IGNORED

"Absitnence" Assignment Win

chiccy

Why didn't I have one of these in my middle-school abstinence classes? :( That was when I used to draw stickfigure comics.

Lucky little shit.

I was a little Christian school girl, and even they didn't teach us "abstinence." They taught us how to spell and about birth control, and ZOMG, that's where I learned about the Big Bang theory. I watch too much tv. I wanted to capitalize "theory."

That is a fantastic paper, and it's a shame the teacher doesn't understand the satire. I'd be proud of that boy (the writing lacks circles and hearts over the i's) if he was my child.

Lots of talent there. I hope the guidance counselor wasn't an ass.

LMAO! Seriously! I was thinking...this should've been posted on imgur. Too funny!

I was a little Christian school girl, and even they didn't teach us "abstinence." They taught us how to spell and about birth control, and ZOMG, that's where I learned about the Big Bang theory. I watch too much tv. I wanted to capitalize "theory."

That is a fantastic paper, and it's a shame the teacher doesn't understand the satire. I'd be proud of that boy (the writing lacks circles and hearts over the i's) if he was my child.

All girls write hearts and circles over their i's, even when they are all upper case? News to me, I've been writing incorrectly all these years.

Wow, that "non-verbal no" (from the assignment, not the student's part) is really rape-cultury. How many times have you heard a rapist or rapist apologist say "her lips said no but her eyes/body/clothes said yes". I can't believe they're teaching something like that, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that these people are horrendous.

This doesn't strike me as "real." The teacher's language is especially formal. (generally they wouldn't write anything on something like this, but call in a parent and admin or counselor for a conference.)

Wow, that "non-verbal no" (from the assignment, not the student's part) is really rape-cultury. How many times have you heard a rapist or rapist apologist say "her lips said no but her eyes/body/clothes said yes". I can't believe they're teaching something like that, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that these people are horrendous.

I believe the idea behind the non-verbal "no" part is that she doesn't have to say "no" to mean "no". Not that she can mean "yes" when she says "no".

All girls write hearts and circles over their i's, even when they are all upper case? News to me, I've been writing incorrectly all these years.

I put little hearts and circles over all of my letters!!!! It just makes it more feminine that ways!!!!

(The for realz deal is that I have used circle or heart all of twice in my life!)

LOL.

Incidentally there's a similar thing to "hearts and circles over the i's" where you make circles for all the squares involved in Chinese characters and just generally make everything curvy, yeah, it was girly, it was "manga letters" and if we wrote like that in school it was zero points for you! but everyone did it out of school.

Whoever drew this thing is a far better artist than I am, anyway!

That's about how seriously I'd take an assignment titled "Absitnence Cartoon Dialog" :roll:

This doesn't really address your concern, but it is related to that concept. Something I read, really wished I'd bookmarked it when I saw it, now. They've done studies where they asked groups of men whether it was okay to, say, take someone's money, if you said "Can I take this?" and they said "I need it". Other crimes with non-explicit 'no's were understood to mean no - things like

"Do you want to come over to our dinner party on Saturday?" "Oh, I've got a lot of paperwork to do this weekend..."

"Can I borrow some of your towels?" "I don't have many."

"Do you eat shellfish?" "I'm vegetarian."

and every time, they were like "that means no, obviously"

But as soon as it was about a guy who pushed someone who said "I have to go home now", they were like "oh no, no, see, that can be misinterpreted, she should have been more clear". Uh-huh. Sure.

I think the non-verbal no might be more about encouraging students to use what communication they're comfortable with, and to pick up cues from others. I could see it as a way of giving non-assertive students another way of avoiding awkward situations - saying "and if you don't want to discuss it, you can just leave" or whatever. Hard to know, as I don't know what it means in the curriculum.

OG. This reminds me of when I was at one of those Evangelical "treatment centers" where they cast demons out of people. I was chosen to be the skeezy guy in the scenario, and had to hit on whichever girls who were supposed to be the chaste, biblical examples. (Good thing they didn't realize I had the gay.) How do they think these things can possible work?

Edit: I wouldn't have admitted that except that I have had a lot of wine.

I wrote my i's lower case just to use circles. I'm in my 30's and still can't break myself of that habit.... :oops:

Never done hearts and circles - I HATE it when people use circles for dots - but when I was younger I used to like using spirals for dots and os. When I sign my name in a birthday card I write it with spirals - it just looks more fun!

I wrote my i's lower case just to use circles. I'm in my 30's and still can't break myself of that habit.... :oops:

That's great. But just because you write that way it doesn't mean every single female on the planet does.

Archived