IGNORED

Explain Your Hairstyle

JesusFightClub

My husband doesn't really care...I could look like Cousin It or Sinead O'Connor. Whatever makes me happy he says.

I have red hair that is extremely thick and stick straight. Growing it long is not an option unless I want a sore neck and head. Right now my hair is done faux hawk style so short on the sides and then a longer strip on top going towards the back. It takes about 5 minutes to do.

I've got tons of compliments on my hair since I started wearing it this way about a year ago...especially from women of color. In turn I've always loved how many women of color have meticulously styled hair...I realize it's a lot of work and it's a sensitive subject, but I personally think it's beautiful. My favorite is the short kinky twist look

twists.jpg

I agree, and that is a beautiful hair style. :) I think hair is such a personal thing. I don't want someone telling me what to do with it. I don't think anyone should govern it... whatever. (And mohawks are aweome!)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hair is long (around mid-back) and wavy. I think it's a little weird when I get the "long hair questions" because it's not that long - "Have/do you ever cut it?" is a pretty silly question when I think it's pretty clear that I do cut it, otherwise it would be a lot longer. Once in a while I get the urge to mix it up and cut bangs - I always love them for about a week, then pin them back until they grow out because my hair has just a little bit too much curl for them to look right and don't want to risk the J'chelle straight bangs/curly hair look.

My husband doesn't really care...I could look like Cousin It or Sinead O'Connor. Whatever makes me happy he says.

I have red hair that is extremely thick and stick straight. Growing it long is not an option unless I want a sore neck and head. Right now my hair is done faux hawk style so short on the sides and then a longer strip on top going towards the back. It takes about 5 minutes to do.

I've got tons of compliments on my hair since I started wearing it this way about a year ago...especially from women of color. In turn I've always loved how many women of color have meticulously styled hair...I realize it's a lot of work and it's a sensitive subject, but I personally think it's beautiful. My favorite is the short kinky twist look

twists.jpg

I agree. More beautiful black women's hair:

carols-daughter-lisa-price-cassie-solange-selita-ebanks.jpg

Also, Michelle O's hair looked gorgeous on 2008 election night.

Now I know why I am divorced. I never considered how my many different cuts and colors over the years affected my husband's sense of manliness and leadership in our home. If only I'd consulted him about my hair everything would have been fine. :lol:

Boy, I wish an unmarried virgin guy in his sixties, seventies, eighties?, had been around to tell me just how to fix my marriage.

"Have/do you ever cut it?" is a pretty silly question when I think it's pretty clear that I do cut it, otherwise it would be a lot longer.

It's only silly if they know how long your natural length is.

I didn't cut my hair (except for the odd trim of split ends every year or so) for 23 years, and it never went below mid-back.

Read out a few of these posts to my now very puzzled husband. :lol:

He has told me many times that if I start submitting he will leave. He married me to be his wife not his servant. He is now trying to work out how hairstyles fit into that.

I have very fine, curly hair, and I have a TON of it. It's also much more coarse than the average white person's to the point that I have to go to "black salons" (for lack of a better term... the ladies call it a do shop but that didn't seem right either...). My hair has been everywhere from a super short, less than an inch long cut the stylist called a moosh to dreadlocks (natural, no wax or anything!) to curly all the way down my back in a range of colors from whitish blonde (my natural hair color until I was about 20) to blue to black. Right now, it's my horrible, natural blonde-in-the-winter color and in the middle of being grown out because I promised my fiance I would let him see me with long hair as a wedding present. Haven't cut it in about two years, but it grows super slowly, so it's only just reaching my lips in front and the very tops of my shoulders in the back.

I guess I do actually ask my fiance about my hair more than the average woman might, but I only do it because I know he really does have preferences about my hair (he's asked for years if I would grow my hair out, but he obviously didn't leave me or stop me from cutting it short or dreading it, etc.). He actually understands the problems behind hair because his is usually shoulder blade length and is mega thick and curly, so he has to use product and stuff. I think because he "gets it" I'm less likely to shrug off his requests, especially because I always know I can say "Yeah, this isn't working out. I'm getting it cut off ASAP." :P

Also, Miggy, my soon-to-be husband has told me the same thing about submission. "Damn it, you'd better stop listening to me or I'm going to have to assert my dominance take your fundies away!" :lol:

I have naturally curly hair and I have tons of it. I like to wear it long because the only way I can have it not look like a puffball is to wear it super-short or wear it long. I tried super-short and it looked good, but I dreamed at night of growing it long again.

I cut it to shoulder length to imitate a style I saw on Sarah Jessica Parker. I liked it when I first cut it, but once it started growing, I'm not liking the style. However, I saw Andie MacDowell rocking a long, curly style recently, and I want to do that with my hair next, but I have to let my hair grow a bit more before I can copy that cut, so right now I'm dealing with a style-less puffball.

My explanation is pretty simple.

I was traumatized by having a Dorothy Hamel haircut as a kid, and grew my hair long as a teen (once I was out of the unfortunately mullet phase).

When I turned 25, my mother treated me to a grown-up haircut and color. When I came home, hubby said, "Wow...that sort of looks like my mother's hair".

Now, my MIL is relatively young and is a beautiful woman who gets her hair done every week in a stylish bob - but no one wants to hear their husband compare them to his mother!

I started growing it back. Periodically, I have a fit of insanity and chop it off, and then spend the next year growing it out. I did that last year, and have not cut my hair since April. I have very thin, straight hair and I've decided to embrace it. It's long, it's straight, and it either gets a straight blow dry or I slick it back into a ponytail. The end. I also color it at home, because I'm half gray.

I have short hair, get it cut at the barbershop. It's very short in the back and on the sides (#2 clippers) and a bit longer on top (I have bangs).

Why? It's easy to manage, and I like it sporty. I dunk my head in the sink in the morning, comb out the top, and I'm ready to go. The top is a good length for making a fist in and pulling when I'm thinking on some complicated problem.

Have I asked someone to explain their hairstyle? Yes, I have. Namely a cousin, who showed up with what appeared to be a standard buzz cut except on the side of his head some pieces were weirdly slightly longer and sticking out like a bad tuft of grass or weed in the lawn. I had to ask him what was up with that.

Turns out, he'd shaved his entire head except for leaving a tiger paw of "very short buzz" on the side like a sort of tattoo, and then his hair grew, and he was just too lazy to even it out . Curiosity... satisfied. :D

Your hair sounds a lot like mine. I love long hair but mine is just too fine and thin to keep long. My husband says he loves my hair short because it gives him easy access to nibbling on my neck.

But I don't think the fundies do neck nibbling either.

The thing that makes me so mad is when somebody says "I wish I were brave enough to have short hair like you" Really? Brave is fighting cancer, fighting in Afghanistan, escaping abuse.... Cutting my hair short? Nah.

My hair is too thick and wavy to manage a short cut without major styling and product, which isn't happening, so it's long. It's long, also, because it grows, and because I don't give a shit what it looks like plus I'm too lazy to get it cut regularly.

The only noise I've heard out of my headship about my hair is some mention of dyeing it again (I've been all colours at some time or another). But that's way more commitment than I'm willing to give my hair at this time. Now OTOH, he demands that I give a thorough and well thought out opinion on HIS hair (real answer, I don't care - shave it, dye it, wear it long, whatever make you happy dude). I did get really tired of his constant waffling about growing it out and gave him an ultimatum - grow it or stop talking about it. He grew it, and he seems very pleased with it. It's very curly, it does look nice. Turns out, long hair on a man in 2012 is still a litmus test for asshats. Many many people feel the need to tell me (not him) what they think of his hair.

Turns out, long hair on a man in 2012 is still a litmus test for asshats. Many many people feel the need to tell me (not him) what they think of his hair.

You should hear what asshats feel compelled to say when they see a woman with short hair together with a man with long hair. One actual quote from a Costco in South Carolina, "Diddy, ain't the girl supposeta have the long hair and the boy's supposeta have the short hair?" "Yeah, but they're queers so it don't matter". :o

My hair is very thin and fine. I can't really do anything with it except grow it long and chop it all back off. Right now my hair is just past my shoulders and I have been wearing it in a pony tail.

YES YES YES. I took a sort of "domestic violence awareness for teens" seminar when I was about fourteen (through my ebil public middle school *gasp* at the recommendation of my gifted and talented teacher *gasp*), and the woman giving the talk emphasized this a LOT, since it was a sort of concrete example and we were getting to that age where we were concerned about our looks. And I mean, look at the FLDS and how it regulates women's looks. A lot of it is about desexualizing them and sort of hiding their individuality and womanhood (big sacky dresses), but the women were also not allowed to have short or loose hair, and not even allowed to war certain colors- it was too risque! And ol' J'Boob and his obsession with curly hair on his daughters. Since I'm single, my headship is my dad, and he has only ever made one remark about how he likes to see my hair, that he thinks it's cute when I braid it because it reminds him of Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby, and he likes her because she was such a BAMF in that movie. Honestly, my dad wouldn't care or notice if I did anything short of bleaching my hair platinum blonde or shaving it all off. He'd notice...but not care. To him, hair is hair is hair, and the only thing that matters is that he hasn't got any.

OMG. I wish I'd had that seminar at that age. I totally had the boyfriend in high school who started by getting upset if I showed too much cleavage, and who wanted me to keep my hair long... and guess what? It progressed to even more controlling and abusive behavior. Which I put up with for waaaay too long because he wasn't literally *hitting* me so it must not be abuse... ugh.

It's only silly if they know how long your natural length is.

I didn't cut my hair (except for the odd trim of split ends every year or so) for 23 years, and it never went below mid-back.

Good point - I guess because when I didn't cut mine regularly it was down to my butt with wispy ends, I think of it as looking very different now. And a good number of the people who know me now didn't know me then, so they wouldn't know just how long it could get.

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. I've had the same style since I was in middle school. Since 8th grade my hair has been all one length except for occasional layers that I would immediately let grow out as soon as I got them. No bangs. I am now in graduate school and think it's time for a change. I'm planning on doing something drastic. I'm considering a cut that is above the shoulders and layered. The best I can describe it is a type of pixie cut except a little longer. The only thing I'm worried about is that my hair is very thick with lots of body and I think if it's too short it might just poof out.

It may sound stupid but I'm actually a little nervous about this hair cut. I'm so used to it being long. (At it's longest it was waist length) At the same time I think change is good and if I don't like it, it's just hair and will grow back.

One question I have is can chemically straightened hair be donated to Locks of Love? I believe I have enough to donate but I don't know what kind of treated hair they can accept.

One question I have is can chemically straightened hair be donated to Locks of Love? I believe I have enough to donate but I don't know what kind of treated hair they can accept.

I don't think so but it won't hurt to check. My son actually donated his hair. He has beautiful black, very wavy hair. Someone got a really nice wig.

I don't think so but it won't hurt to check. My son actually donated his hair. He has beautiful black, very wavy hair. Someone got a really nice wig.

Perhaps we can ask the Duggar and Bates girls to donate their hair to Locks of Love. If the Duggars did an episode on the girls getting their hair cut for such a cause, I'd tune in. :) From what I have read on the interwebz, they accept all types of hair (even chemically treated).

What would be even nicer if they would do that without showboating it on their show. It seems that would just be another publicity stunt to show how awesome they were. They never would because it would require that they cut off what they consider to be their "glory". They would no longer have long hair and we all know that "daddy" wouldn't like that. :puke-front:

That is AWESOME and I am 100% jealous.

Is that really your hair?! It's the second image that comes up when you Google "rainbow braid". How's that for Internet fame? :P

Archived