IGNORED

Explain Your Hairstyle

JesusFightClub

Part of the 7 Basic Needs of a Husband (according to Gothard/Duggars) is, apparently, that a wife should "explain her hairstyle on the basis of her submission to her authority". WTF?

I want to know who in the world ever demands people explain their hairstyle in day to day life. And if they don't, how you would approach the conversation. "You may be wondering about my hairstyle." "Um no, not really..." "It's a sign of my submission to my authority..." "Wow, fascinating. Is that the time? Got to go."

Is it just the case fundies have no idea how normal folk operate? Oh, stupid question.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is because i want to grow my hair out. Well i let a friend of mine trim my hair and it went super short. Right now its im that weird stage where its not super short anymore but its not long enough to do anything with... I have been taking a curling iron to it cause otherwise i think i HAVE to do something with it. However the back is still too short to curl.

Last year, I got my hair cut to my chin. My husband expressed a slight dislike of the style. However, i was sick of long hair and wanted something more modern. Now I am thinking of a super short cut. So my answer would be, "My hair doesn't relate to my husband at all. It is styled to make me feel either comfortable or good about my appearance. Feeling good about myself helps me be a nicer person which probably makes me a nicer wife. However, my intent is merely to be satisfied with myself."

My husband's ego didn't dissolve because I chose a hair cut that he wasn't wild about.

My husband once told me that he would prefer if my hair was long, but that he didn't have a say since it was my hair. :mrgreen:

I keep my hair shoulder length - I have natural curly hair and it's a pain in the butt if I have it much longer.

My hair is kept no longer than shoulder length since I have a lot of it, and the texture is really fine, plus it's naturally wavy. It just looks better even with layers if I keep it shoulder length at the longest. My future headship loves my hair the way it is, and would still love me even if I decided to cut my hair very short. My abusive ex-husband wanted me with long hair even though it didn't look really good, so naturally one thing I did when the divorce was final was to cut it to shoulder length.

Lol, I had a boyfriend who liked it long, but he also knew that while he could encourage, he had no ultimate say. Luckily, I like it long too- it grows until I get tired of it, or it looks ratty, then I have it cut to shoulder length, then let it grow out again. It's thick and an auburn brown, and if I cut it too short, it basically sticks out because it has a lot of body. I'm trying to decide what to do with it as I get older.

My hair is long enough to reach just below my waist. It is not this long because (1) I prefer this (2) my husband prefers this (3) God prefers this. Really, it is due to laziness and indecision and frugality. Firstly it is soooo easy just to pull my hair back into a braid. This takes less than one minute and requires so gadgets/products fancier than a comb (and really that is not even necessary). Secondly I don't know what style to get. Thirdly, we are putting a nice new kitchen and master bath. Buying a fancy shower head seemed like a more important way to spend my cash compared to a hair cut.

This being said, I believe (and if you believe it to be true it is not a lie) my hair this way demonstrates my patience and keeping-sweetness and overall godliness in a way that can brook no argument (except of course the cogent, verbal kind of argument). :D

I explained my recent going curly girl to my husband [he was confused] other than that he doesn't care although he's asked me never to go shorter than my ears...I've asked him never to go Willie Nelson long or shave his head so I guess it's only fair.

The year before I went of to college, I fell in love for the first time. When I went off to college, we decided to have an open relationship but still stay in touch, and I saw him every time I was home on a school break. I had very, very long hair because I grew it out to donate it. So when I was about 19 or 20, I finally got it chopped off to go someone in need. It wasn't short, but it came down a few inches past my ears. The next day I went to see my boyfriend, before I had a chance to tell him. He opened the door and said I looked amazing. I knew he also loved my really long hair. That's when I knew I loved him, because he would love anything I ever did with my hair or body. He would never tell me what to do or complain about anything. The world could use more men like him.

I'm trying to grow my hair out, from having it about shoulder length in layers. I miss looking like a hippie :(

(my hair, btw, is much like ADoyle's: fine and wavy)

And explaining it to my boyfriend? Pfff, he doesn't care what I do with my hair.

Except for a few unfortunate bobs, I have had the same haircut since I was five: straight brown hair down to about my shoulder blades (if it's much longer, it gets unmanagable), with some thick bangs. My hair is very very thick and frizzes easily, and keeping my hair long is actually easier (as said up thread), since if I don't feel like styling it, I just pull it back in a bun, or, more recently, a Katniss-style side braid. I also have a very round face, and anything shorter than shoulder-length hair tends to look horrendous on me. I just have a few layers around the bottom and framing my face to keep it interesting. I donated my hair once, and while I'm glad I did it, I'm never doing it again, since I cried SO MUCH after I cut my hair. I'm quite attatched to it.

My hair speaks to my independence, actually, since when I was a wee thing, I had a kind of... shaggy Beatles bowl cut, since it was easy for my mom to deal with (and it was the early nineties...eeeagh). But when I begged my mom to let me grow out my hair, she said I could, as soon as I was capable of combing and shampooing it on my own, though she still pulled it back in the mornings until I was about twelve (and she claims she misses doing that now...hahaha). Having hair long enough to put into pigtails for the first day of kindergarten was a BFD. Kind of the opposite message than submission, yeah? "I'm learning to take care of myself- looooong hair!!!!"

Until 24 hours ago, my hair was long enough to touch my butt. It was also really ratty at the ends since I hadn't cut it in two years. So yesterday I had it cut and layered to mid-back. I'd been wanting a cute pixie cut, but my husband wasn't enthusiastic about the idea, so I took that into consideration. The stylist said that my hair is too thick and wavy to look good in a short cut anyway, so medium-long it is as opposed to crazy-long.

Mine is now short. It was just past shoulder length for many years. I blow it out and use a flat iron to straighten it because it is naturally curly, and it's not a nice curly. It's frizzy and wild. I cut it and regret it, but will let it grow again. I still straighten it. The main reasons for it being longer were so I could put it up to get it out of my face and because the weight helped keep it straight and prevent the curls from bouncing up even after straightening. The reasons for it being short are...I don't know. Wanting something different after many years. I hate it and can't get it up or out of my face.

My ex liked it long but hated that I straightened it. He always wanted me to go natural, but my hair made it my choice, not his. He did what he wanted with his hair (once deciding he must have a pony tail, even though his hair line was really receding and his hair was as thin as a baby's - he looked like what he was, an old man trying to be something he was not and never would be). He did what he wanted regardless of my opinion and I did what I wanted regardless of his.

Hair is not a sign of anything and anyone who makes it something it's not has serious issues. My hair demonstrates pretty much nothing about me other than the fact that (if you know I'm naturally curly) I hate curls and fight them with everything I've got. It never has and never will demonstrate anything else and certainly has nothing to do with any relationships I have.

None of these answers are valid or accepted unless they were provided by your headship.

(Silly helpmeet! You should know better!!)

I'm growing my hair out for the LAST time.

Too many times in my life, when my hair was long, Twice in my life, my stylists (at the time) had cut very short layers into otherwise longer hair. I had requested them to add LONG layers. Those two times, they cut way more than I had wanted them to, to the point where some layers were only a few inches long and others were 14 inches long. (Not mentioning how every dang hair stylist always chopped my bangs too short.) The cuts weren't so much bad, as they weren't "me," weren't what I had asked for, and didn't work well with my naturally fine, thin, straight hair. I hated my hair so much, that eventually I had them just cut the rest off to make it more one length, and miserably waited for it to grow out. I just don't look good with a lot of layers or in-between, shoulder-length hair.

In college, my hair was bobbed (around the time when "Speed" came out in the movies, guys always compared my haircut to "the girl from the bus movie"). It was short when I met hubby, and he thought it was really cute, but now, I prefer it longer (and he likes it long!). Now that I am sicker, I LOOK sick, and I can at least make my hair look cute. l also wear glasses, so longer hair balances it out. Not to mention, I can curl it, braid it, straighten it sleek, or pull it back when I want.

I begged my hubby and my hairdresser to never let me chop it again. So now, it's about 17 1/2 inches at its longest, with a little bit of layering (only an inch or two difference), and long bangs in the front swept to the side (I have a big forehead, so I have to have some coverage up there!). It's medium brown with golden brown highlights.

I get trims twice a year, color my roots every 6-8 weeks, and get highlights once or twice a year. It's my one vice, as I like to say. It's also in the best condition it has ever been, thanks to gentle non-alcohol color, gentler shampoo/conditioner, and my styling product/tools use. I actually feel pretty, which isn't something I have ever thought of myself.

I have very long, curly hair. My girlfriend also has very long curly hair, though mine is longer. Yes, we are accidentally turning into lesbians who match.

Long hair past my hips. Usually worn up in a bun, but sometimes I like wearing it down with a big fundy poof up at the front.

My hair is long enough to reach just below my waist. It is not this long because (1) I prefer this (2) my husband prefers this (3) God prefers this. Really, it is due to laziness and indecision and frugality. Firstly it is soooo easy just to pull my hair back into a braid. This takes less than one minute and requires so gadgets/products fancier than a comb (and really that is not even necessary). Secondly I don't know what style to get. Thirdly, we are putting a nice new kitchen and master bath. Buying a fancy shower head seemed like a more important way to spend my cash compared to a hair cut.

You, too? Actually, mine is "short" for me right now, being at shoulder blade length. My hair grows like crazy and is very straight. If it's short, it needs to be blown dry and fussed with to keep it from being totally flat and limp. Long, it doesn't matter. I can wash it at night, let it air dry, finger comb it in the morning and pull it back. Super quick and low maintenance.

Seriously? My husband would rather hear me read the yellow pages out loud than explain my hairstyle.

Clearly, your headship has issues with his rightful role in your lives. You're probably an evil working feminist who has emasculated him and usurped his authority, thereby making him a girly boy instead of a manly man. You should repent, beg his forgiveness and pray for him.

My hair was long until last week when igot fed up with it and had it cut in short bob to my chin. Hubby prefers it longer but he isnt the who put up with the weight of it (my hair is THICK), sore scalp from tying it back, or all the faff when we went out to make it look decent. It will probably be long again, i hate going to the hairdressers and having it messed about with so it will probably be about 4 years before i go again.

A few inches past shoulder length. In a bun because I'm lazy. And I'm so lazy that it's not even a "real" but, just a pony tail pulled all the way through the last time.

My hair is growing long because I don't care and I hate going to the hairdresser. It's easier to tie back and I like the way I cut my own bangs just fine.

Picture me explaining this to my husband.

PAqxWa9Rbe0

Mine is just below my chin and layered when it's freshly cut. Now it's been growing since June and it's a little longer than shoulder length, and the headship likes it better like this. I'm getting it cut next paycheck, it's not very flattering, my white shows more and it's very hard for me to style it.

That's all. My testimony of how I stomp all over my headship's delicate feelings is about 20 seconds long. :twisted:

LOL Emmyfair, I love it :)

I am just utterly bewildered. Who ever accosts someone and demands they explain their hairstyle? I have a fairly unconventional style for a woman (I shave my head, I'm not bald but I haven't much in the way of hair) and the only question I get from other women is "Isn't that cold?" No one asks me to explain my hairstyle!

J'Chelle's hair looks oldfashioned but normal. Does she get asked on a regular basis to explain her choice of cut and style?

Archived