IGNORED

Explain Your Hairstyle

JesusFightClub

I have thick wirey hair. Hve tried every style under the sun, but it is just very hard to manage. It needs to either be just below my shoulder blades so they the weight keeps the frizz in check or super short. I reached middle age, got fat and moved south. In the interest of exercising regularly, I cut it super short. I do have to get it cut every 4-6 weeks and highlighted every other cut. It is otherwise pretty much "wash and wear" this way. And the shorter hair actually makes my face look less tired.

I am currently without a partner, but have never really asked for permission to change my hairstyle of anyone. I do, of course care what the people close to me think of how I look in general. I think the hair thing is just another very weird aspect of the fundy-craze.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently got about six inches cut off my hair because it was getting all ratty at the ends and I was getting tired of it being everywhere, all the time. Now it's still long, but it doesn't take forever and a day to wash and blow dry, and I don't have to practically go through a gymnastics routine to get into my coat and backpack every morning. I'm thinking about dying it, which I haven't done in years, but I'm not sure what color.

I actually do think of my hair as a representation of my general attitude about life. Cutting some of it off represents the fact that I'm starting to let go and move on. Thinking about dying it means I'm open to new things again. Somehow, I doubt those would be the answers the fundies are looking for.

I would looove to have long hair but for me, it just isn't in the cards. I have baby fine, ultra thin hair, and once it reaches my shoulders it just looks awful - stringy and flat. So I keep it cut in a short bob with some layers, which, with some mousse and hairspray, at least gives it a bit of bounce. Usually sits between the bottom of my earlobes and my chin. Honestly, it's the best I can do... I wouldn't fit in well with the Duggars and their crowning glory :roll:

One plus - I can blow dry it on the cool setting in two minutes flat, lol.

I would looove to have long hair but for me, it just isn't in the cards. I have baby fine, ultra thin hair, and once it reaches my shoulders it just looks awful - stringy and flat. So I keep it cut in a short bob with some layers, which, with some mousse and hairspray, at least gives it a bit of bounce. Usually sits between the bottom of my earlobes and my chin. Honestly, it's the best I can do... I wouldn't fit in well with the Duggars and their crowning glory :roll:

One plus - I can blow dry it on the cool setting in two minutes flat, lol.

Me too, but throw in just enough wave and curl to enhance the stringy look.

What this says about me? Hmmm, it says that I have a metabolic problem that affects my hair growth, and that I care enough about my appearance to maintain minimum standards of grooming. I suppose the fact that I keep some length, as much as possible, suggests that I prefer a feminine look. I would trade my hair for Jessa Duggar's in a hot second, and even then I would still be an unsubmissive, educated feminist who works outside the home.

I actually do get frequently (maybe once a month) asked to 'explain' my hairstyle by strangers. I have knee-length hair, and 'is your hair long for religious reasons?' is definitely on the top ten list of questions I get, less frequent than 'have you ever cut your hair?' or 'how long did it take you to grow your hair?' but thankfully more common than 'have you ever thought about donating your hair?'. (Seriously, you see a woman with four feet of hair, and the first thing you can think of is asking her why she's too selfish to chop it off and give it to someone else? Makes me want to stab people and I'm a pacifist.)

I think this query is where fundies would proudly say something about their husband's glory or somesuch, but I just tell people, 'nothing to do with religion, I have it long because I like it that way and I'm lazy'. I have straight, medium-weight, boring hair, and I can't be bothered to spend money to cut it or time to fuss with it. Growing it out long is the easy way to have unusual hair.

My husband likes my hair long, but he'd love it buzzed too, he doesn't really care, my hair, my choice. I like long hair myself (and don't consider hair long until its waist length at a minimum) but that's my elf-loving romantic aesthetic, not a conservative religious one.

Clearly, your headship has issues with his rightful role in your lives. You're probably an evil working feminist who has emasculated him and usurped his authority, thereby making him a girly boy instead of a manly man. You should repent, beg his forgiveness and pray for him.

I tried. He was too busy rolling out pie crusts to listen to me grovel.

I have short hair, get it cut at the barbershop. It's very short in the back and on the sides (#2 clippers) and a bit longer on top (I have bangs).

Why? It's easy to manage, and I like it sporty. I dunk my head in the sink in the morning, comb out the top, and I'm ready to go. The top is a good length for making a fist in and pulling when I'm thinking on some complicated problem.

Have I asked someone to explain their hairstyle? Yes, I have. Namely a cousin, who showed up with what appeared to be a standard buzz cut except on the side of his head some pieces were weirdly slightly longer and sticking out like a bad tuft of grass or weed in the lawn. I had to ask him what was up with that.

Turns out, he'd shaved his entire head except for leaving a tiger paw of "very short buzz" on the side like a sort of tattoo, and then his hair grew, and he was just too lazy to even it out . Curiosity... satisfied. :D

When I met my husband I was in my Sinead O'Conner phase and my head was shaved except for small bit on the top I dyed black and wore back in a ponytail so you could see the rest of shaved. Obviously he loved it and it was one of the first things he said to me when we met. He actually prefers short hair as do I. He loved my pixie cut and really doesn't care what I do. My hair is curly and doesn't grow past shoulder blades. I usually have some kind of chin length bob, varies with or without bangs. I dyed my hair black a few months ago and I want to get it cut out, so I am thinking of this haircut.jpg

Right now my hair is a little bellow my shoulders. I am extremely lazy with my hair and really don't do anything with it other then wash, brush and pull into a pony tail. A little before my due date I'm going to get it cut to around chin length since I found out with my son that when you have a baby around short hair is easier. My husband prefers my hair long but he goes with whatever I want to do and is used to me growing it out then cutting it. I normally wait until I have enough to donate but I don't want to wait until after the baby is born to get it cut.

How do you explain a classic bob with bangs to your headship? My hairstyle is one of the most basic hairstyles out there. It's long enough to look "feminine" yet it's also very easy to take care of. If my hair gets too long it becomes raggedy and takes forever to dry.

I seriously don't think any of my headships were drawn to my hair because of its length; they were drawn to my hair because of its color. There are quite a few men out there who find redheads quite fetching.

My hair is thick and curly. I can straighten it but only with a really good straightener. I usually only wear it up in a pony tail or a bun if I'm really lazy.

My boyfriend has said he likes my hair down but doesn't really push the issue. I ask his opinion on hair styles but honestly it's my choice at the end. :D

It's been butt-length, it's been shaved, but right now it's waist-length. It hasn't been this long for quite awhile, and it's starting to irritate me. So, on Wednesday I'm getting it cut to chin-length layers. I'll be donating the hair that is cut. It's good quality, if I do say so myself, :D as I never blow-dry or curl it and only wash it 3 times a week. So I'd hate for it to be thrown away! Though a few strands of grey have started sneaking in recently. :?

In any event, my feline headship loves my hair no matter how I do it! No justification required. ;)

Except for a few unfortunate bobs, I have had the same haircut since I was five: straight brown hair down to about my shoulder blades (if it's much longer, it gets unmanagable), with some thick bangs. My hair is very very thick and frizzes easily, and keeping my hair long is actually easier (as said up thread), since if I don't feel like styling it, I just pull it back in a bun, or, more recently, a Katniss-style side braid. I also have a very round face, and anything shorter than shoulder-length hair tends to look horrendous on me. I just have a few layers around the bottom and framing my face to keep it interesting. I donated my hair once, and while I'm glad I did it, I'm never doing it again, since I cried SO MUCH after I cut my hair. I'm quite attatched to it.

My hair speaks to my independence, actually, since when I was a wee thing, I had a kind of... shaggy Beatles bowl cut, since it was easy for my mom to deal with (and it was the early nineties...eeeagh). But when I begged my mom to let me grow out my hair, she said I could, as soon as I was capable of combing and shampooing it on my own, though she still pulled it back in the mornings until I was about twelve (and she claims she misses doing that now...hahaha). Having hair long enough to put into pigtails for the first day of kindergarten was a BFD. Kind of the opposite message than submission, yeah? "I'm learning to take care of myself- looooong hair!!!!"

Haha my hair and face shape is the same as yours but I prefer to have my hair at chin-length - I'm also 5'1 and long hair tends to overwhelm me.

My headship likes my hair long.

After a few miserable attempts to grow it out, I have told my headship that if he likes long hair so damn much, he can grow his own out.

I've had either a pixie cut (what I prefer) or a bob (what he prefers) for the last 20 years. I am freshly committed to the pixie after spending a year struggling to make my hair not look like ASS - it's wavy and cowlicky and has to be either scrunched and coaxed to curl, or blow-dried and flatironed to be straight. It's normal state is flat as a pancake on one side, and wavy on the other. Not a good look. Hate my hair. HAAAATE my hair.

My pixie cut is cute, feminine (no, really!), low-maintenance (except for trims, which are easy enough at the local Haircuttery), and I love it. My headship doesn't have to take care of it, so why does he get to decide how long it is?

I actually do get frequently (maybe once a month) asked to 'explain' my hairstyle by strangers. I have knee-length hair, and 'is your hair long for religious reasons?' is definitely on the top ten list of questions I get, less frequent than 'have you ever cut your hair?' or 'how long did it take you to grow your hair?' but thankfully more common than 'have you ever thought about donating your hair?'. (Seriously, you see a woman with four feet of hair, and the first thing you can think of is asking her why she's too selfish to chop it off and give it to someone else? Makes me want to stab people and I'm a pacifist.)

I hate the question or its close cousin, the "When are you donating it?" Umm, never, jerk.

The longest it has ever been was down over my hips post-prenatal vitamins. Right now, it's flirting with being waist length (long layers, the longest layers hit my waist).

Guest Anonymous

My husband prefers my hair to be long too and it is but it's because I like it this way. When he met me, I had super long, naturally curly hair that was big (this was early 1990's where big hair was "in")..and I swear he wishes it was still that style :). I now flat iron it straight with long bangs I sweep to the side..I love Jennifer Anistons hair and that's the look I try to go for.

My hair is long right now. It's wavy and very thick so there's a lot of it. I've worn it long and mostly without layers for several years now and I think I want to try something else. Lately my hair has become excessively tangled after I wash it even though I use conditioner generously and comb out tangles with conditioner still in my hair. As soon as I rinse out the conditioner the tangles appear. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. If I can't find a solution I will definitely be cutting my hair instead of just thinking about it.

My husband would think I had lost my mind if I started to explain my hairstyle to him. My visits to the hairdresser are rarely noticed, I get the very occasional " have you done something different with your hair?" if I do something drastic.

I am deeply suspicious of any man who want to determine his wife's hairstyle. This is another example of submission and control and while we may scoff here at how ridiculous it is on anther level it is genuinely disturbing.

I would really like to know if there any areas where women are actually in charge at all in Fundie land?

Healthy thick silver hair, menopause granted me some waves. I've had it down to my ass and shaven in the past 5 years. Now its a bit layered and chin length to take advantage of the waves.

Part of the 7 Basic Needs of a Husband (according to Gothard/Duggars) is, apparently, that a wife should "explain her hairstyle on the basis of her submission to her authority". WTF?

I want to know who in the world ever demands people explain their hairstyle in day to day life. And if they don't, how you would approach the conversation. "You may be wondering about my hairstyle." "Um no, not really..." "It's a sign of my submission to my authority..." "Wow, fascinating. Is that the time? Got to go."

Is it just the case fundies have no idea how normal folk operate? Oh, stupid question.

Well, my mother sometimes insists that I explain my hairstyle. By which I mean, she thinks its prettier when it's down (and I agree), so she asks me what I always wear it up. The answer is because much of the time I'm either in class or doing work or exercising and it drives me crazy to have my hair down in any of those situations. In fact, I insist on keeping my hair long enough to put up for that reasons (because otherwise I like my hair on the short side because otherwise it gets really annoying to take care of really fast.)

But if anybody other than my mother was asking, I'd tell them it's none of their fucking business. It's not really her's either, but since I agree that my hair is prettier when it's down, I figure I owe her an explanation.

I've had fine and thick hair most of my life. I usually kept it short or in a bob, because fine hair, or mine at least doesn't lend itself well to a lot of length. My hair is thinning now since I've been sick, but it's also down my back, mainly due to just not wanting to go get it cut. I usually keep it in a bun, and funnily enough, it's usually partly covered. I've always loved kerchiefs. I'm thinking it's time to get it done again in a bob soon. I don't bother dyeing it anymore, but it used to be various shades of red or other random colors.

I also have never liked bangs with my hair.

I don't have a headship, but hair shouldn't be very important on the list of things someone and their partner should discuss. I think the fundie hair issue is bizarre, among other things, obviously. :P

My hair is long for me now. I've had it shoulder length or just above for years with minimal layers. I got bored with it so decided to grow it out (I originally started so I would have long enough to curl for the Taylor Swift concert I went to, lol). It's about two inches past shoulder length now. I think I'm going to keep it around mid-back for awhile. My hair also recently changed texture... it used to be super straight, and now it is sort-of-wavy but looks decent only if I put product in it. Otherwise it just looks frizzy and gross. I just put curl mousse in it, scrunch it and put it in a bun, and let it dry overnight and that works and doesn't take much time, so it's okay. Because of the waves my hairdresser put in more layers which I really like.

I don't have a headship so my hair is my jurisdiction at the moment ;)

Archived