IGNORED

Brandy starts over, all over again.

oscar

Seriously, that shows how little she knows about what university entails. Nothing wrong with going to a trade school if you want to work in one of those fields, but college also gives you skills for life. They might not be as obvious as say, carpentry, but critical thinking skills etc aren't exactly 'useless fluff'.

At my local uni, you cannot get an entry level secretarial job without a 4 year degree of some type. Even if you are not employed in your degreed field, employers see that you can make a long term commitment, work cooperatively with diverse groups of people, keep short term and long term goals, learn to research papers (not web shit linking to wiki) etc.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that critical thinking is one of the best reasons to go to university. And it's one of the things Brandy most severely lacks, which I think adds to the instability in her life. If you critically examine alternatives before you come to a conclusion, you usually have good reasons for making your choice that are then more difficult to up-end on a whim. You are also better at filtering out crap ideas when you hear them, instead of having your head turned at every single idea that comes by.

I agree that critical thinking is one of the best reasons to go to university. And it's one of the things Brandy most severely lacks, which I think adds to the instability in her life. If you critically examine alternatives before you come to a conclusion, you usually have good reasons for making your choice that are then more difficult to up-end on a whim. You are also better at filtering out crap ideas when you hear them, instead of having your head turned at every single idea that comes by.

Absolutely. My degree has done nothing for my career/earning abilities. I would not, however, change it for anything in the world. I learned so much more than academics and/or professional skills. My favorite classes were the ones where we spent the entire time debating/discussing topics. I learned how to think above all else and that is priceless and everyone on the planet benefits from that.

It's the worst thing that's ever happened to mine...

Fundamentalism is a sad system. It basically slaps Jesus' sacrifice in the face and says it wasn't good enough (my husband said that to me recently and it was a :idea: moment). I understand living to a certain moral code and doing that you think is "Christian", but when you lose your individuality and blend into a crowd of thoughtless robots who just spew out exactly what the person before them just said without rational thought as to WHY (which is the EVILLLLL question among fundies) then you've lost sight of it all. When I started asking WHY I felt the way I did instead of just basically copying and pasting others' thought and interpretations of things, (ESPECIALLY Biblically) my whole life changed, my whole faith changed.

I still get guilted in sometimes, but have a great group of friends and a wonderful man who grab me by my jean pockets and pull me back out. THEY know what is best for me because they honestly KNOW me. Sure, internet friends can be "real" friends but a majority of them are a pic and a few words on a profile.

I know you can find happiness and I wish you the best. Freedom is a good thing, and no matter what your so called fundie friends say, a true friend is happy for you no matter what and hangs with you, they don't ditch you because of petty things like a blog entry.

It's the worst thing to happen to mine, too. Honestly, I don't know how we got past it - and sometimes, I'm still not sure we did or ever will. "God guilt" runs deep. Especially when there is always someone ready to rub it in your face.

Edit: Welcome! And I lead a GS troop with my daughter. It's awesome!

Absolutely. My degree has done nothing for my career/earning abilities. I would not, however, change it for anything in the world. I learned so much more than academics and/or professional skills. My favorite classes were the ones where we spent the entire time debating/discussing topics. I learned how to think above all else and that is priceless and everyone on the planet benefits from that.

I guess this is one of those things that can't be quantified to those who are not inclined to understand it. I agree that this sort of education is priceless. It's not for everyone, but I hate when people shit on it because they can't understand it.

I guess this is one of those things that can't be quantified to those who are not inclined to understand it. I agree that this sort of education is priceless. It's not for everyone, but I hate when people shit on it because they can't understand it.

Allll of this. It's also why I will defend humanities degrees to the death, because Lord knows we get a lot of crap for doing 'pointless' degrees.

Allll of this. It's also why I will defend humanities degrees to the death, because Lord knows we get a lot of crap for doing 'pointless' degrees.

I get why fundies look down on college and humanities & liberal arts & college. It challenges what you think; what you've been taught; what you've been told. That's the POINT. But, for fundies, who see everything as black & white, it's a threat. If someone questions what they're taught, they'll act on it. They will learn other opinions and ways and ideas. That is the ever looming threat to extreme fundies. Thought. Ideas. Concepts. Discussion.

I'm tired of hearing this crap about the truck. If your family needs a vehicle then get off your computer and get a job, you and your husband can work opposing shifts, lots of folks do it so that they can provide for their family's needs. And a dependable vehicle, is a need for a family with children. If you worked minimum wage for all the hours you waste blogging or making stupid notebooks, your insurance would have been paid for by now.

riffle

I agree. Makes it hard to believe she bought a lifetime supply of tea and flour when she had no means with which to transport her children and no furniture to sit on. :shock:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that not a whole lot gets done around her house...particularly with homeschooling.

{Where does this post come from? I joined the den of the "haters" ... I stood up for myself on their ground ... and I'm proud of myself. Even told one of 'em "I don't give a shit what you think". Because I honestly don't. Regardless of the thought of some, I don't seek approval from anyone anywhere online. I only want to please my God .... and that's how it's always been. Some of them are actually nice .... but some of them are really full of hate, no matter what you say. Now I think I can be completely done with them and be happy with myself.}

Flip Flop

And there's still probably no way on Earth that I'd vote for a Democrat.

In march they didn't vote. Now they're voting?

some of them are really full of hate, no matter what you say

Was she reading the same thread as the rest of us? Because I saw no hate. Honesty, but not hate. Those of us telling Brandy to get help were doing it out of concern for her, not because we hate her.

Of course, I guess she might feel that being told that homosexuality isn't a choice is hateful, but whatever.

ETA I didn't read her new post before commenting.

I still maintain that homosexuality is a sin and those people were not created that way .... but I can absolutely still respect them as a person and love them.

'Those people'? Nice.

Wow, what I said about her seeking approval upset her enough that she wrote a blog post about it. I guess I struck a nerve - and she's proud she told me, someone who was completely courteous and completely in earnest in what I said, that she didn't give a shit what I thought.

themanydailyblessings.blogspot.com/2012/04/finding-balance-in-it-all.html

Where does this post come from? I joined the den of the "haters" ... I stood up for myself on their ground ... and I'm proud of myself. Even told one of 'em "I don't give a shit what you think". Because I honestly don't. Regardless of the thought of some, I don't seek approval from anyone anywhere online.

Someone is overly defensive. Because someone knows that I'm right.

Brandy - I know you're reading, and I know you care, so I'm saying it one more time: get some help. You need it, and your kids need you.

Once again, for everyone else - notice how, when there was the slightest disapproval, she did a complete about-face. She can't get what she needs here, unconditional instant approval, so she leaves to find it somewhere else. Many of the people who come here who claim they want to learn can survive through mild shows of disapproval. But not Brandy.

I'm in my own world.

The best part of all of this is Candy. She is having a huge tantrum about imaginary situations but anyone who has ever followed her or Brandy can see through it like cellophane. Candy is having a conniption fit over some pretend scenarios when the reality is that Brandy didn't fall in line irrevocably - again - and Candy is fuming freaking pissed!

Guest Anonymous

Was she reading the same thread as the rest of us? Because I saw no hate. Honesty, but not hate. Those of us telling Brandy to get help were doing it out of concern for her, not because we hate her.

Of course, I guess she might feel that being told that homosexuality isn't a choice is hateful, but whatever.

ETA I didn't read her new post before commenting.

'Those people'? Nice.

Yeah, she was far too cowardly to outright say that all of us non-straighties are Sinning McSinnersons where people could actually respond to her. She saves that for her blog where she can moderate and delete.

And we're a "den of haters" now, that's no surprise at all. Pro-tip for you Brandykins: Someone was being hateful up in here but it wasn't the Free Jingers.

Darn, I missed the Friday night fundies!

I just read through this thread after drinking 1/2 a bottle of prosecco... and maybe it's the wine talking but Brandi's life seems a perfect cautionary tale out of Guy DeBord's Society of the Spectacle:

"All that was once directly lived has become mere representation."

Please can some of you who are more knowledgeable about the Situationists (and this is FJ so I know you're out there) put on your turtlenecks, light your pipes, and have an intellectual discussion while I quietly pass out in the corner?[attachment=0]index.jpg[/attachment]

I joined the den of the "haters" ... I stood up for myself on their ground ... and I'm proud of myself.

Here Brandy, let me fix that for you:

I joined the den of the haters and all I got was this lousy t-shirt blouse. :roll:

you can run across such a variety of people that it can be very easy to be influenced to change who you are

Umm yeah, no not really. I run across all kinds of people on the internet (some of them really interesting people) and I've never tried to change who I was.

for those wondering, yes we still prefer skirts ... but I have yoga pants on right now

JUST last week she said pants were for men and was seriously considering getting rid of all of her t-shirts in favor of blouses. :shock: Is she serious?

our girls will continue with their home education -- and that it is the best education we can provide our children, while being completely ok with them going to college if they so choose to

So, like I said ... a class here or there, probably no problem. Most likely through an at-home site {such as College Plus, maybe}. Full-time college? Something that'd take some serious fasting and prayer to see if it is definitely of God.

I still maintain that homosexuality is a sin and those people were not created that way

Well that's a relief. She's flip flopped on everything else but she's hanging on tight to her bigotry! No one's going to shake her on that. :angry-cussingblack:

there's still probably no way on Earth that I'd vote for a Democrat. Just sayin'.

Not that anyone gives a shit. Just sayin'. :roll:

That is why our children haven't really been effected to the great degree many may thing by these changes

I've been quite honest on my blog about confusing the crap out of our oldest daughter, for a time there.

I get scared, sometimes, that we're ruining ALL of our lives

The flip-flopping actually irritates me to no end. I hate it. And it's way past time for it to stop. Heck, the flip-flopping is frustrating to us!!
:D

I'm commenting using my phone so hopefully it turns out okay.

I am so confused by this woman. People welcome her here, try to give advice and encouragement, and all she focuses on are the critical questions that we all have. Brandy, we all have them because you put them out there. You made lots of strong statements on your many blogs and people just want to know WHY, you know, the question you were asking just yesterday when it came to fundamentalism? This thread for the most pasrt has been overwhelmingly welcoming condiering all of the things you've pulled, so writing such a strange and cowardly response just shows how backwards you are. I maintain all of the things I said to you yesterday, genuinely hope you find yourself and find peace before you waste your life and continue to mess up the ones of your daughters. Children need stability, girls need a confident Mother, get on it.

I'm feeling a Tyra-esque " WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU..." Speech coming on. With all this newly documented persecution, I'm sure she has every reason to return back to fundie life, now that she has seen how "evil" everyone else is.

And fyi Brandy, someone questioning you about higher education or not extending open arms to you right away isn't evil. Saying what you did about LGBT people IS.

I shouldn't really be surprised at this latest flip flop from Brandy, should I? :roll:

Brandy, I sincerely hope that you manage to find some real direction in your life.

I'm also someone who finds what you said about homosexuality extremely offensive. I am straight. I was born straight. I didn't choose to be straight. My half brother is gay. He was born gay. He didn't 'choose' to be gay.

I'm in my own world.

The best part of all of this is Candy. She is having a huge tantrum about imaginary situations but anyone who has ever followed her or Brandy can see through it like cellophane. Candy is having a conniption fit over some pretend scenarios when the reality is that Brandy didn't fall in line irrevocably - again - and Candy is fuming freaking pissed!

Forgive me, but who's Candy?

This thread was started on 2/25 and initially we were all taking bets as to how long it would take BC to flip flop again. I guess our questions have been answered :lol:

Forgive me, but who's Candy?

Candy is Brandy's long-term off-again, on-again, off-again-again, on-again-again, oh-no-wait-it's-OFF-again-again-again, online friend.

joyfulchristianhomemaking.com

This thread was started on 2/25 and initially we were all taking bets as to how long it would take BC to flip flop again. I guess our questions have been answered :lol:

Dang, so unhealthy. :(

Candy is Brandy's long-term off-again, on-again, off-again-again, on-again-again, oh-no-wait-it's-OFF-again-again-again, online friend.

joyfulchristianhomemaking.com

I wonder if Brandy is sad about not being included in Candy's sidebar of favourite house tours and favourite home management binders. I assume that is why she would waste time on those tragically boring posts, or is that just a Thing that fundie housewives of a certain variety must do to get their modest fundie housewife badge?

Fuck, I spent way too much time on this site, I could have lived my whole life not knowing what a home management binder is. Now I just had a fleeting thought that maybe we needed one. Perhaps all the mommy bloggers and I could just admit that the SAHM thing is mind-numbingly repetitive work that is usually relentlessly boring and dismally endless. The whole start-a-blog-with-lists-of-superior-mommy-things is so high-school-cliquish that I am now getting flashbacks to feeling acne-prone and insecure.

I wonder if Brandy is sad about not being included in Candy's sidebar of favourite house tours and favourite home management binders. I assume that is why she would waste time on those tragically boring posts, or is that just a Thing that fundie housewives of a certain variety must do to get their modest fundie housewife badge?

Fuck, I spent way too much time on this site, I could have lived my whole life not knowing what a home management binder is. Now I just had a fleeting thought that maybe we needed one. Perhaps all the mommy bloggers and I could just admit that the SAHM thing is mind-numbingly repetitive work that is usually relentlessly boring and dismally endless. The whole start-a-blog-with-lists-of-superior-mommy-things is so high-school-cliquish that I am now getting flashbacks to feeling acne-prone and insecure.

It's kind of like an no-name version of FlyLady, who recommends her followers use a "control journal" to keep to-do lists for their housework. I don't think it's a bad idea, personally, since I have an awful memory and am not the greatest at just seeing what needs to be done, housework-wise.

But I do feel like having a blog about how you clean your house is a bit much - maybe it's the only thing that keeps it interesting for them, the idea that they can make it look like they live a perfect life in their perfect homes with their perfect families and are perfectly happy. One of the few rewards to be earned for doing a bunch of housework as your job, I guess.

Archived