IGNORED

Another "Guy's Point of View"

formergothardite

Guest Anonymous
Sorry guys, I didn't mean too. I'll try to be careful in the future.

Pretty sure none of the posters who had a problem with what you said are guys. So there's that, too. At this point I don't know if you're hopelessly clueless or if you're being a jerk on purpose.

OK, I am sorry to be the Pollyanna of the group, but I feel the need to stick up for finleeport.

I've been reading his stuff here for a while and it seems that he is, in fact, very supportive of women's rights. Yes, his posts and logic at times are hard to follow but we don't know much of anything about him, and there may be some good reasons as to why he has difficulty communicating in this medium.

I believe he told the rather disturbing (and yes, inappropriate) joke about the dead woman in a tree to illustrate why his aunt has no use for men -- i.e. her point being (I think) that men have been misogynists going back to Ancient Greece when was the joke allegedly originated. Yes, the thought process here is a bit convoluted, but that was the gist I got from it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Finleeport has some other motives. But my sense from reading his posts for a while now is that he wants to be supportive of the women here. I think he has communication difficulties that mean he will put his foot in his mouth at times, but overall he means well. Exhibit A: his quick willingness to apologize and take responsibility for the inappropriate joke. (Also, "guys" as used colloquially in the U.S. is a gender neutral term.)

Here's a woman in a long dress for him!

Jennifer+Lopez+Grammy+Dress+Makes+Comeback.jpg

Wait a sec, am I being sarcastic? How could that be, I'm an emotional woman! :lol:

ETA: Him = Miss Raquel's interviewee

The whole 'Men are logical and Women are emotional' is so 19th century, very Victorian. This guy is so stuck in the past.

As a man, I find this ignorant guy a disgrace for even thinking with a 19th century mind.

No I think it shows that he does not know woman and only thinks he does. I bet he is lucky he can even talk to a woman without having cold sweats.

OK, I am sorry to be the Pollyanna of the group, but I feel the need to stick up for finleeport.

I've been reading his stuff here for a while and it seems that he is, in fact, very supportive of women's rights. Yes, his posts and logic at times are hard to follow but we don't know much of anything about him, and there may be some good reasons as to why he has difficulty communicating in this medium.

I believe he told the rather disturbing (and yes, inappropriate) joke about the dead woman in a tree to illustrate why his aunt has no use for men -- i.e. her point being (I think) that men have been misogynists going back to Ancient Greece when was the joke allegedly originated. Yes, the thought process here is a bit convoluted, but that was the gist I got from it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Finleeport has some other motives. But my sense from reading his posts for a while now is that he wants to be supportive of the women here. I think he has communication difficulties that mean he will put his foot in his mouth at times, but overall he means well. Exhibit A: his quick willingness to apologize and take responsibility for the inappropriate joke. (Also, "guys" as used colloquially in the U.S. is a gender neutral term.)

Thanks a bunch DH :)

I just have a hard time communicating with people on the internet, public speaking is much easier for me but I really like this site. I came to this forum originally because I wanted to write stories about the Quiverfull/Vision Forum people.

When it comes to fundies - the women are admonished by their headships, their fathers , their ministers and their God to believe that they are weak, indecisive, not leadership material, illogical, over emotional and generally the "weaker sex". For a woman to fit into that society she has to toe the line. So little wonder that this boy (I know he is 28 but he sounds like a boy) thinks women are emotional and illogical.

If he would come out of his bubble and see women in the "real" world he might find many who defy his narrow little view.

Guest Anonymous
(Also, "guys" as used colloquially in the U.S. is a gender neutral term.)

I disagree. It's sexist because once again it considers the default/normal to be men, and women to be the other. Sexism doesn't happen in a vacuum, all of these little bits add up.

I disagree. It's sexist because once again it considers the default/normal to be men, and women to be the other. Sexism doesn't happen in a vacuum, all of these little bits add up.

Sorry, Lissar, that I used the term 'guys'. It was what I called my friends when I was in school, both boys and girls.

Lissar,

I hear you, Lissar, and perhaps you are right on "guys." Certainly, I've always felt very strongly that using "men" or "he" to refer to a mixed group is incredibly sexist. "Guys" has always sounded innocuous to me, just because I've never heard it applied to mean only men, at least in the plural. But now that I think about it, we do talk in gendered terms of "a guy" to mean a male. But somehow I've just never heard "guys" to mean "male." Subjective, I know.

English is my second language and one of the biggest hurdles for me has been the gender-specific terms for groups. I tried to get an English person to explain it to me once, it was pretty much just "that's just the way it is." I try to avoid it now, because it doesn't sit right with me.

Lissar,

I hear you, Lissar, and perhaps you are right on "guys." Certainly, I've always felt very strongly that using "men" or "he" to refer to a mixed group is incredibly sexist. "Guys" has always sounded innocuous to me, just because I've never heard it applied to mean only men, at least in the plural. But now that I think about it, we do talk in gendered terms of "a guy" to mean a male. But somehow I've just never heard "guys" to mean "male." Subjective, I know.

No, I would agree with this. "Hey guys!" to me has always referred to a mixed group. I've even said it to entirely female groups.

Why does Miss R always ask the sarcasm question? I don't really get it.

Off topic for this thread, but damn it! I started this thread so I can ramble like Miss Raquel if I want to!

Anyway, Miss Raquel did an interview on another blog and basically it was blah, blah, blah, go read my blog because it is the best of all, blah, blah, blah some more, my only goal in life is to get married and have babies, but until I can snag a man, my job is to encourage people.

girlzofgodbook.blogspot.com/2012/02/girlz-like-you-interviews-miss-raquel-d.html

I think she asks the sarcasm question because she has a crush on every guy she meets and she is hoping the answer is "I am sarcastic around you because it is my way to show that I love you and will marry you the second I can."

I admit that I'm guilty of using "guys". I'll work on being more mindful about it in the future, because it does default to a male-centric worldview. I know I would never refer to a mixed group (or all male group) as "ladies", so I shouldn't do the opposite either.

I admit that I'm guilty of using "guys". I'll work on being more mindful about it in the future, because it does default to a male-centric worldview. I know I would never refer to a mixed group (or all male group) as "ladies", so I shouldn't do the opposite either.

Wouldn't that be a neat social experiment, though?

And on-topic: Agreed with whoever said this... I hesitate to say "man"... needs a blindfold. Aside from the whole "women are not responsible for your penis", it is far easier to, y'know, not look at what troubles one than to ask everyone else to change.

13. What is your dream job? And why?

I think I have too many passions to pinpoint just one career, so I'd like to have or create a job where I could integrate teaching, leisure, and spirituality all in one.

I, too, would love a job of leisure.

13. What is your dream job? And why?

I think I have too many passions to pinpoint just one career, so I'd like to have or create a job where I could integrate teaching, leisure, and spirituality all in one.

I, too, would love a job of leisure.

I will settle for nothing less than a career of leisure!

Personal compliments constitute flirting? Well, then I flirt with my own gender all damn day - the horror!

Wait, was that sarcastic? Me, a woman? But how could that ever be?

Eh why can't she be a role model all the time? Because you can only expect a woman to do right at times? She is faulty by her nature?

Seriously dude... I think you should wear a blindfold in order to protect your "purity". Stop promoting the burka.

She can't be the role model at all times because if she's in opposition to her man, she would have to submit and let him be the role model. She can be a leader and role model only when there's no men around to defer to.

This thread is reminding me of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where the kids take on the personalities of their costumes. Buffy's got on this 18th century dress, and in character, talks about her life's ambition to marry well, maybe even a baron!

Add "good Christian" to baron and you've got the career choices available to a SAHD. Well, I guess that and teaching other SAHD's how to court. ;)

She can't be the role model at all times because if she's in opposition to her man, she would have to submit and let him be the role model. She can be a leader and role model only when there's no men around to defer to.

Ah, I see. That's probably the reason. :(

Archived