IGNORED

No wonder Jana is so miserable

Daenerys

I think she was happy in the first series as the fact that Josh was engaged meant that she would be next to 'escape' and get her own life/family. Here we are though, four years later, and Jana isn't even permitted to court. She's a year older than Josh was having Kynzie! I reckon she managed to 'keep sweet' somewhat thinking she would soon get out of there, but with every passing year it looks less likely. No wonder she's so depressed!

The really sad thing is that she is probably better off where she is. These young women are going to have a brutally rude awakening when they get married and have to their ideals without TLC and JB footing the bill. It is going to SUCK.

Unless she leaves the compound on her own, hopefully with the assistance of friends or perhaps family members who don't agree with the cult, I see no good options for Jana.

Being at home must suck. I can't imagine what it is like being 22 years old sharing a bedroom - or maybe even a bed - with so many little children. And then there are all of the domestic responsibilities.

The only other acceptable alternative, however, could be just as bad, if not worse. If her marriage is to be essentially arranged by Jim Bob, she may only have the power to say "no". And if she goes along with the Duggar family courtship rules and ends up marrying some guy she barely knows just to escape her current situation, she could end up with someone she doesn't even like or who turns out to be an abusive arsehole or maybe a lazy slob like her dear older brother.

I think she understands she’s between a rock and a hard place right now. The only thing that could shake things up would be the show ending. Jim Bob might then be willing to loosen up the rules a bit to get her off his hands without letting the world know about it. As the younger kids get older, he’s not going to need all of the J'slaves (Joy's already cooking and Hannie will be old enough for laundry duty soon) and at some point they’ll end up just being extra mouths for him to feed.

Let's be honest...I'm not sure if any of these girls will ever get married. If they do get married, it is probably going to happen in their late 20s (which we all know is ancient in the fundie world). I think the Bates girls will probably get married before the Duggar girls.

I agree I do notice that Jana is not that happy. I wonder what these girls really feel about their lives. Honestly, I can see Jessa as being a kick ass business woman and Joy not wanting to be that stereotypical fundie wife/mother. JB and Michelle will make sure that they have their little helpers for life. JB himself has commented on how he would not how to handle the responsibility w/ the girls. Such a shame!

I have a feeling that Jana is the designated daugther that will always be at home, in case something happens to either Michelle or JimBoob. It is sad however, majority of large families have one of these.

I have a feeling that Jana is the designated daugther that will always be at home, in case something happens to either Michelle or JimBoob. It is sad however, majority of large families have one of these.

I've always pegged Jill as that daughter. She seems happy enough with her situation at home. I don't think the "nursing" thing will get very far without any hands-on instruction at an accredited facility, and so far, there is no indication that is going to be allowed.

Jana has a bit more of a "down" personality (I don't mean that negatively at all; she's just not naturally upbeat like Jill or feisty like Jessa can be) and my guess is that her parents have had "concerns" about her lack of "sweetness".

I don't understand why everyone is so eager for the Duggars to start courting and get married. To me it would be the final nail in the coffin that they could never escape the cult life. Getting married would not be freedom for those young women because they'd still have to submit to a man. The only plus side is that for a few years they would have fewer children to care for, but that would be outweighed on a few more years when they have more kids but the oldest aren't old enough to take over the childcare responsibilities. They would also have less financial security unless they married into other fundie royalty. My hope is that none of them ever court, but that instead they will date in their own time and make their own choices of when and who to marry if that's what they want.

But I suspect that Smuggar was pressured into courtship and marriage just as a PR stunt to make them look like they are following through with their plan. It's a complete act though because he's still very much a child and is as supported by JimBob as all the other kids still living at home. I guess they picked him mostly because he was oldest, but also because he probably didn't contribute much to the household. The daughters won't get married for a long time, if ever, because there's a weird emotional incest undertone in the entire Patriarchy/Gothard/purity mindset and JimBob won't give up his harem of adoring, attractive young women. No, I'm not accusing him of doing anything physical, but the entire thing is set up around daughters worshiping their fathers as the literal mouthpiece of God himself. They have to obey him and admire him, and why would he want to give that all up? Getting married is for the poorer fundie girls whose fathers would love to keep them around but simply can't afford to support so many adults indefinitely. That's why you nearly always see fundie royalty boys "marrying down", while their sisters just don't get married at all.

I don't understand why everyone is so eager for the Duggars to start courting and get married. To me it would be the final nail in the coffin that they could never escape the cult life. Getting married would not be freedom for those young women because they'd still have to submit to a man. The only plus side is that for a few years they would have fewer children to care for, but that would be outweighed on a few more years when they have more kids but the oldest aren't old enough to take over the childcare responsibilities. They would also have less financial security unless they married into other fundie royalty. My hope is that none of them ever court, but that instead they will date in their own time and make their own choices of when and who to marry if that's what they want.

But I suspect that Smuggar was pressured into courtship and marriage just as a PR stunt to make them look like they are following through with their plan. It's a complete act though because he's still very much a child and is as supported by JimBob as all the other kids still living at home. I guess they picked him mostly because he was oldest, but also because he probably didn't contribute much to the household. The daughters won't get married for a long time, if ever, because there's a weird emotional incest undertone in the entire Patriarchy/Gothard/purity mindset and JimBob won't give up his harem of adoring, attractive young women. No, I'm not accusing him of doing anything physical, but the entire thing is set up around daughters worshiping their fathers as the literal mouthpiece of God himself. They have to obey him and admire him, and why would he want to give that all up? Getting married is for the poorer fundie girls whose fathers would love to keep them around but simply can't afford to support so many adults indefinitely. That's why you nearly always see fundie royalty boys "marrying down", while their sisters just don't get married at all.

Well, it wasn't the final nail in the coffin for Rebekah Keller. It isn't the final nail for many more ATiers than it is, based on the low rate of second-generation families. But the parents, on the other hand, are never going to put down the Kool-Aid.

I don't understand why everyone is so eager for the Duggars to start courting and get married. To me it would be the final nail in the coffin that they could never escape the cult life.

This.

I hate all fundie weddings/new babies. To me, it just signals that 1) a new child is (or will soon be) born into a abusive fundie home life, and 2) it's less likely that the couple (especially the woman) is going to break free. It's harder to leave any lifestyle once you've dug yourself into a hole with no education, a spouse who was raised to believe the same crap, and a half-dozen kids in as many years.

I've long figured that Josh was allowed to court and get married for several reasons:

1. He is the oldest and it made sense once he reached adulthood and it was clear that JB wasn't going to allow him any "career" other than running Daddy's used car lot - so they had to find something for him to do;

2. It made for good ratings for the show - probably a huge reason in JB's (i.e., Michelle's) decision;

3. The vague rumors of sin in the camp floating around also made me wonder if the Duggar parents didn't figure that it would be best to marry Josh off and give him an outlet for his sexual urges - perhaps there was some hanky panky that worried them.

We all know that fundies do not believe women have sexual desires as men do. Therefore, they feel no urgency on the part of the older daughters to marry them off. They were counting on the Jubilee pregnancy to boost ratings. Now they are no doubt casting around for what other ideas they can go with to continue the show beyond this season. I bet they would like to get the next boy married off, but maybe someone is advising them that it would look really bad for John David to get married, while Jana is still spinstering away at home. This could be a real conundrum for them.

It's about control. If one of the girls marries, she could potentially move away to wherever her spouse lives (and thus be out of JB's control and no longer provide slave services). JimBob pretty much views any male as a threat to his manliness. More daughters-in-law would be fine by him, but I bet he's less than thrilled at sons-in-law coming into the picture and usurping his authority.

Guest LilaFowler
My hope is that none of them ever court, but that instead they will date in their own time and make their own choices of when and who to marry if that's what they want.

If that happens, they'll be shunned by their family.

Unless she leaves the compound on her own, hopefully with the assistance of friends or perhaps family members who don't agree with the cult, I see no good options for Jana.

Being at home must suck. I can't imagine what it is like being 22 years old sharing a bedroom - or maybe even a bed - with so many little children. And then there are all of the domestic responsibilities.

The only other acceptable alternative, however, could be just as bad, if not worse. If her marriage is to be essentially arranged by Jim Bob, she may only have the power to say "no". And if she goes along with the Duggar family courtship rules and ends up marrying some guy she barely knows just to escape her current situation, she could end up with someone she doesn't even like or who turns out to be an abusive arsehole or maybe a lazy slob like her dear older brother.

I think she understands she’s between a rock and a hard place right now. The only thing that could shake things up would be the show ending. Jim Bob might then be willing to loosen up the rules a bit to get her off his hands without letting the world know about it. As the younger kids get older, he’s not going to need all of the J'slaves (Joy's already cooking and Hannie will be old enough for laundry duty soon) and at some point they’ll end up just being extra mouths for him to feed.

I think maybe Jana has gotten to the point where she hates being a 20 something living at home completely controlled by her parents. I do think if the show ends after this season, Boob will have realize that some of the J'Slaves need to married off. Joy will probably take over for which J'Slaves gets married first.

This.

I hate all fundie weddings/new babies. To me, it just signals that 1) a new child is (or will soon be) born into a abusive fundie home life, and 2) it's less likely that the couple (especially the woman) is going to break free. It's harder to leave any lifestyle once you've dug yourself into a hole with no education, a spouse who was raised to believe the same crap, and a half-dozen kids in as many years.

Me too. The saddest one for me recently was Kendalyn and Robert though. I couldn't read her story of how she gave up her dreams of a medical career, that she'd been planning since high school, because her dad convinced her, without feeling angry.

I hope Jana doesn't marry someone Jimboob picks out for her. I'd rather see her flipping her stupid parents the bird as she's pulling out of the driveway, on to a new and better life. I also predict that once one flys the coop, a whole bunch more will follow. Who the hell in their right mind would look at Smuggar and think "Yeah, I wanna be THAT!"...

If that happens, they'll be shunned by their family.

These kids are abused. If she dares to think for herself, she'll likely be cut off and cast out without the first idea about how to go out and get her very first job in a down economy. The threat of losing the only means of support she is allowed to know about is a good way to keep her from "rebelling" or even thinking for herself. She's being manipulated.

I think Jana and the other J'Slaves might realize that they can't make outside their parents home or without support from their parents. They might realize that they don't have certain job skills or work experience.

I think Jana and the other J'Slaves might realize that they can't make outside their parents home or without support from their parents. They might realize that they don't have certain job skills or work experience.

Though I doubt they'd think of it themselves, I'd hope someone would tell them they probably have the option of taking their parents to court to get their TLC money (I don't know if the over 18 kids have separate contracts or not, but they should be getting some of the money for doing the show)

I could totally see the older girls wanting to wait to court and get married until at least the show is over - they get to take trips and have some money for fashionable clothes etc... and once they are married they will be pumping out the babies one after another. If they start baby making at 20 they can have potentially 20 children, and probably at least 10-12. If they start at 30 they will probably end up with 5 or 6 ... MUCH more manageable.

The more I read about the quiverfull SAHD the more I think it might be the daughters who are purposefully dragging their feet on the whole courtship marriage thing.

They are worked to death at home, and under their parent's thumb .. but even they must know that mom can't keep making new babies forever, and the workload is bound to lessen quite a bit once there aren't any tiny children to care for. Maybe they see their mid-late twenties as a chance to have a manageable workload at home, and a way to basically limit their family size without resorting to the evil birth control.

Maybe it will be a whole new series for TLC. In teen mom fashion of horribleness.. watch Jana struggle with working at McDonalds and trying to upgrade her highschool so she can get into college.

I don't think Jana's not allowed to court; I think she's not receiving many offers because most guys don't want to be part of the whole TLC trainwreck.

Though I doubt they'd think of it themselves, I'd hope someone would tell them they probably have the option of taking their parents to court to get their TLC money (I don't know if the over 18 kids have separate contracts or not, but they should be getting some of the money for doing the show)

Oooooh... makes me wonder what those contracts look like. You know the gals aren't seeing that money, but would TLC feel obligated to give it to them, and would JB have the balls to say to the network, "Pay me the girls' share"?

Oooooh... makes me wonder what those contracts look like. You know the gals aren't seeing that money, but would TLC feel obligated to give it to them, and would JB have the balls to say to the network, "Pay me the girls' share"?

I would think the JB has the funds paid to a shell subchapter S corp for the purposes of taxes and disbursements.

I've long figured that Josh was allowed to court and get married for several reasons:

1. He is the oldest and it made sense once he reached adulthood and it was clear that JB wasn't going to allow him any "career" other than running Daddy's used car lot - so they had to find something for him to do;

2. It made for good ratings for the show - probably a huge reason in JB's (i.e., Michelle's) decision;

- perhaps there was some hanky panky that worried them.

We all know that fundies do not believe women have sexual desires as men do. Therefore, they feel no urgency on the part of the older daughters to marry them off. They were counting on the Jubilee pregnancy to boost ratings. Now they are no doubt casting around for what other ideas they can go with to continue the show beyond this season. I bet they would like to get the next boy married off, but maybe someone is advising them that it would look really bad for John David to get married, while Jana is still spinstering away at home. This could be a real conundrum for them.

It's about control. If one of the girls marries, she could potentially move away to wherever her spouse lives (and thus be out of JB's control and no longer provide slave services). JimBob pretty much views any male as a threat to his manliness. More daughters-in-law would be fine by him, but I bet he's less than thrilled at sons-in-law coming into the picture and usurping his authority.

Could someone please fill me in? How did Josh 'sin in the camp?' I really hope this is good.

Archived