IGNORED

BYU student busted for "immodest" clothing

ADoyle90815

If I look at her outfit with "fundie eyes", it looks like her dress is cut low enough that, although she doesn't actually show any cleavage, you might THINK of cleavage, so that's defrauding; also, while she is wearing tights, her dress is cut above the knee so you can still see thighs and it makes you THINK of bare thighs which makes you THINK of vagina. All this to say, again, that these people are absolutely obsessed with sex. I doubt your average mainstream hetero guy would be aroused to distraction just by seeing something that suggests something that suggests nudity.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*It's stuff like this that makes me hate strict modesty rules. Whatever you wear there is probably some guy who finds it defrauding. What do you do if the guy has a burqa/niqab/prairie-wear fetish?*

I think you have to invoke rule 34....

I wouldn't wear them and lie that I was. They sound uncomfortable as hell.

You would until you experienced your first Mormon garment check... I mean, uhm, *hug* from your local, friendly ward gossiper.

For those wondering how temple garments look like, here you go:

mormonunderwear.jpg

How sexy would it be to see your spouse in that when trying to get it on. Such a turn on.

I've done papers regarding mormonism for some of my college papers--right up there with Scientology. It's definitely cult like. One of my friend attended BYU for a semester before transferring out. She could not handle all their rules nor could she handle the pressure of getting married young since a bulk of the students there either engaged or married.

I *HATED* these.

And I mean hate with a passion. Ugly, annoying, etc.

These things always make me so angry! Why is it the woman's responsibility to prevent a man from being turned on, Men learn some self control, it's not that hard.

I can never find anyone who watches Survivor anymore, but I still love it, and there was an interesting situation last season. A born-again male contestant was clearly lusting after a female teammate, and he became obsessed with how she was tempting him and trying to seduce the men. She was doing absolutely nothing except existing. (Okay, granted, she was existing in a bikini, but they all do.) It was really perverse how he went after her. He got her voted out.

You would until you experienced your first Mormon garment check... I mean, uhm, *hug* from your local, friendly ward gossiper.

:shock: What do they do if they catch you without them? Do you get some kind of warning? What happens if you refuse to put them on?

I just Googled the BYU website. There was a picture of a young woman wearing only a gymnastics leotard..no knee length skirt. Go figure.

Yep BYU has had a DI gymnastics team for over 20 years...

I can never find anyone who watches Survivor anymore, but I still love it, and there was an interesting situation last season. A born-again male contestant was clearly lusting after a female teammate, and he became obsessed with how she was tempting him and trying to seduce the men. She was doing absolutely nothing except existing. (Okay, granted, she was existing in a bikini, but they all do.) It was really perverse how he went after her. He got her voted out.

Yes! I still watch Survivor and the whole time there was that Brandon and Mikayla thing I was soooo creeped out. Overall, that was just a weird season of Survivor.

And yep, then when you're married there's the pressure to have kids immediayely. Even if you're in school (C's cousin graduated with 2 kids under 2). If you wait, you don't have enough faith. Don't believe me? Neil L Anderson October 2011 General Conference. There ya go.

I've seen pictures of married students (mostly guys) at their BYU graduations with a baby or toddler dressed in a little matching cap & gown. It's a school where roughly 1/4 of undergrads are married and upwards of 50% of each graduating class is married. The LDS leadership has always said that couples shouldn't postpone starting a family in order to complete their education (by which I suspect they mean the husband's education since The Family: A Proclamation to the World indicates that a woman's God-given role is in the home while her husband provides financially).

The way it often seems to go is that boy returns from mission at 21, at 22 he marries himself a nice 19 or 20 year old early childhood ed major, they move into married student housing, she winds up pregnant. She keeps going to classes but trying to arrange schedules so that one of them is always there to take care of the baby is too hard, so eventually she drops out. He graduates at 24 or so and she's pregnant again by that time - they say she'll eventually finish her degree but it doesn't often happen.

The other pattern I've seen starts off the same, but they more-sensibly waited to try for a baby until the start of their last semester or shortly after graduation - she might work until the baby arrives, then she becomes a SAHM while he goes to dental, medical, law, or business school.

Does BYU have many women majoring in engineering and the hard sciences? Any women in ROTC? Are there many female LDS doctors, laywers, etc?

My best friend from childhood is a Mormon. She is the oldest of seven children. There are six girls, and two have attended college. The most gifted of them went to BYU, where she majored in home economics for two years, and then dropped out to marry a young man the instant he returned from his mission. She had her first child before 20.

My best friend waited to have her first child until her mid 20s, but only because she had weight & self-esteem issues that kept her from finding a mate right away. Three of the other six girls were married with children before 20.

That leaves two other sisters. One is still in high school (almost 20 years younger than my friend, because the family is so large.) The second-youngest sister is actually attending a public university, and it looks like she's going to finish. (I wonder whether this is because she and the youngest were raised mostly after the patriarch of the family died unexpectedly.)

The son seems to be the worst prepared of all. He is a hot mess.

Salient points:

* These are not Utah Mormons. They're a less conservative breed, if you can believe it.

* The family didn't have much money, so all the girls stayed in one room; the boy had his own room.

* I want to put a bullet in my head, when I think about the lives they lived.

* Romney is the GOP front-runner with the more sane religious background.

Yay, America. :clap:

Yes! I still watch Survivor and the whole time there was that Brandon and Mikayla thing I was soooo creeped out. Overall, that was just a weird season of Survivor.

What really sucked is that so many people recognized that Brandon had major issues with women and was being a nut-case about Mikayla, and they STILL voted her out to please him. The way he acted, you'd have thought she was rubbing her bare breasts on his face every night after people went to sleep.

The other pattern I've seen starts off the same, but they more-sensibly waited to try for a baby until the start of their last semester or shortly after graduation - she might work until the baby arrives, then she becomes a SAHM while he goes to dental, medical, law, or business school.

Does BYU have many women majoring in engineering and the hard sciences? Any women in ROTC? Are there many female LDS doctors, laywers, etc?

First paragraph - Hit the nail on the head. I have a friend who did exactly that. And yep, medical school.

My husband is majoring in computer science. There are a total of 3 girls in any of his CS classes. We have a couple girl friends (not girlfriends ;)) there. One was majoring in psychology but she just switched majors and is also going to be going into CS. The other is doing math education and wants to be a teacher. They're both 20 and set on completing their education. No boyfriends or interest in gettiung married right away.

I have a Mormon acquaintance who got married pretty early in college. No kids yet though. She and her husband are still working on their degrees... he might have gotten his but she's on her sixth year I think. My guess is that her family stopped paying for college once she got married and that's why she can only take a few classes at a time. Her degree is in photography. She goes to BYU but they are thinking of moving if her husband gets a job somewhere else. She has actually gotten pretty defensive about people insinuating she is only majoring in photography so that she can have a "nice hobby when she is a SAHM" and I get the feeling she doesn't really like kids. She's said they are putting kids off, but my money is on either none or just a few. Her family seems pretty conservative... lots of kids, brother is on a mission, etc.

Yes. It's not official LDS doctine, but I know a lot of Young Women (class for lds girls ages 12-18, third hour of church) leaders will tell "their" girls to "Dress as if you're wearing garments even when you aren't, so when you start wearing them you won't need to buy a whole new wardrobe". If she wore that top with garments, they would be showing. The ends of the garment bottoms would show too, if she didn't have tights/leggings on. I think the outfit is perfectly fine, but according to the (Dis)honor code, it's just a tad low. :roll:

I lived in Layton, Utah when I was a child. Many of my Mormon friends wore undershirts and undershorts under their regular clothing. They were basically being trained to wear the garments. They would get punished if they did not wear the undershirts and undershorts. One of my friends was grounded for two weeks for not wearing them.

For those wondering how temple garments look like, here you go:

mormonunderwear.jpg

From online forums, I learned that Mormon women are supposed to wear their bra OVER the garment top. I imagine that this whole getup would be hell for anyone who's nursing or menstruating.

I just Googled the BYU website. There was a picture of a young woman wearing only a gymnastics leotard..no knee length skirt. Go figure.

I've seen gymnastics competitions on the BYU channel, and even in the older ones from back in 2000, I have yet to see any gymnast wear those garments under their leotards. I'm surprised those girls haven't been busted for defrauding the school.

As for the girl in question, there's nothing wrong with her outfit. Hell, I've seen girls wear next to nothing to school. Of course, I live in FL...and it was community college.

I just want to point out that she's not actually wearing A Dress.

It's a tunic, and as such isn't expected to come much further down than mid-thigh. That's why she's got trousers on as well.

(ok, they don't like trousers. But can't they concentrate on that instead of claiming that her "dress" is too short?)

I've seen gymnastics competitions on the BYU channel, and even in the older ones from back in 2000, I have yet to see any gymnast wear those garments under their leotards. I'm surprised those girls haven't been busted for defrauding the school.

The University of Utah team takes the opportunity at their annual dual meet with BYU to wear sleeveless leotards. :clap:

She's attractive, what more does he need to call her immodest... :evil:

And she's getting an education. What a harlot!

I think her outfit is adorable. She looks perfectly fine to me. I hardly think she's immodest. The guy who sent her a note sounds like an immature snot.

So we had to go to BYU's campus on saturday for a party for a club my husband is in...and I wore a short skirt and leggings underneath in honor of that student. ;) I looooved walking past a huge auditorium full of students wearing long skirts and suits, watching a "devotional". LOLOLOL.

Archived