IGNORED

BYU student busted for "immodest" clothing

ADoyle90815

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Wow...there was nothing immodest about her outfit. I actually consider it conservative! This is another reason I am so grateful I attended public school & college.

I actually can't think of anything "immodest" about that outfit. Her neckline is pretty high, legs covered, what the hell is his problem? Guess my mind isn't twisted enough to think like a fundie guy.

I actually can't think of anything "immodest" about that outfit. Her neckline is pretty high, legs covered, what the hell is his problem? Guess my mind isn't twisted enough to think like a fundie guy.

She's attractive, what more does he need to call her immodest... :evil:

I think the twitterer who said that this was the dude's repressed way of saying "you're hot. Let's break honor code and make out." is about right here. Some of the fundie guys I know used to flip the fuck out if they even thought a girl was attractive because it was a SEXUAL THOUGHT. Of course they would sometimes say that they were attracted to the girl because she was dressed modestly and purely, but whatever. Same thing.

Wow...there was nothing immodest about her outfit. I actually consider it conservative! This is another reason I am so grateful I attended public school & college.

I was told in fundie-lite land that if you have a "hand's worth" of skin showing between your neck and your breasts it's 'too much'. I can't tell you how many women are putting their hand under their chin and measuring the neckline of their dresses/shirts in the dressing room. The way to do it is to put your left thumb and index finger at the base of your throat (it looks like you're choking yourself) and if your pinky is touching skin you're "being immodest". I just double checked and my pajamas are "immodest", btw. I hope I don't defraud the dog when I take him to his crate later.

That's really frightening. Anytime a guy goes out of his way to blame a woman for "negatively effecting" him by the way she dresses, then tries to shame her into dressing more to his standards - that raises huge red flags to me. :?

That's really frightening. Anytime a guy goes out of his way to blame a woman for "negatively effecting" him by the way she dresses, then tries to shame her into dressing more to his standards - that raises huge red flags to me. :?

I agree. How dare she exist/be attractive/be out in public/dress than less in a burka/study while female? :roll:

Can't we just ship all these guys to some deserted island somewhere? Then they don't have to worry about all the wanton temptresses, and we'll be rid of them. Win-win.

I agree. How dare she exist/be attractive/be out in public/dress than less in a burka/study while female? :roll:

Can't we just ship all these guys to some deserted island somewhere? Then they don't have to worry about all the wanton temptresses, and we'll be rid of them. Win-win.

To be fair, they shipped themselves off to the desert island that is BYU. Technically, by the strictest mormon standards, her outfit is not modest. The skirt is too short and it doesn't matter that she's wearing tights/leggings. Granted, I think these standards are dumb, but that's one (of many) reasons I didn't go to BYU.

I have a coworker who is a member of the black sheep branch of her family; she and and some of said branch of her family have either left (as in officially leaving, sending a letter and all) the Mormons or are seriously considering it. One of her granddaughters has gotten a heck of a scholarship offer from some Catholic school back East; she was worried a bit about the religious aspect of the school until I pointed out, "Well, they're not BYU." She doesn't have anything that I know of against Catholicism, but her basis of comparison was BYU. Yikes. I'm sure no Catholic school that would be courting a Mormon kid is going to be anything like BYU as far as religiosity goes.

Online I have seen BYU referred to as YBU. And from what I've heard about the place it's appropriate.

BYU does have a dress code. She looks perfectly modest to me, but I don't know whether something about her outfit violates said dress code somehow. Or maybe the guy's just weird.

YBU is very appropriate. Ugh.

Technically I guess that outfit DOES violate the HC because the top is just a little on the low side. But the Honor Code also says no shorts and I see girls walking around in short shorts (like running shorts with about 3" inseams) all the time when I go to pick up my husband... No one says anything about them.

Ugh, I think part of the worst thing about this note for me is that the dude probably told all of his Godly friends about the holy thing he did that day by correcting a wayward Jezebel.

Then I imagine the holy friends going into immodest detail about the girl's appearance so that they can all be properly um... horrified.

Guest Anonymous

I was told in fundie-lite land that if you have a "hand's worth" of skin showing between your neck and your breasts it's 'too much'. I can't tell you how many women are putting their hand under their chin and measuring the neckline of their dresses/shirts in the dressing room. The way to do it is to put your left thumb and index finger at the base of your throat (it looks like you're choking yourself) and if your pinky is touching skin you're "being immodest". I just double checked and my pajamas are "immodest", btw. I hope I don't defraud the dog when I take him to his crate later.

How in the hell is neck skin immodest. I could understand maybe if she were showing cleavage, but neck skin? In that case even the Duggar girls are immodest. Oh, and my cat is defrauded nearly every morning when I get dressed. He just sits there and watches. But he's neutered, so maybe it doesn't have "urges"....LOL!

Technically I guess that outfit DOES violate the HC because the top is just a little on the low side. But the Honor Code also says no shorts and I see girls walking around in short shorts (like running shorts with about 3" inseams) all the time when I go to pick up my husband... No one says anything about them.

ITA...My husband worked by BYU for 2 years and had friends that went there. I saw plenty of shorts. I also was shocked at the amount of plastic surgery these young women were having. Breat implants being the most popular. I certainly think a 19 year old women in a modbod/shade long "modest" white tee shirt with breast implants and designer jeans is going to turn alot more heads then a half inch of skin showing in the wrong spot.

I think it's cute. Duly posted as idiotic to my FB; most of my friends are now parents of high school or college-aged kids and WISH their daughters would dress like this.

The honor code also doesn't say that a neckline has to be above a certain spot. It just says clothing has to be modest.

Women

A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extremes in styles or colors. Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.

Holy snikies, I just checked my t-shirt, I can fit 2 hands (I have small hands) before I hit shirt! I really am going to hell. Oh well, at least I will look cute!

But really, the girl looks cute. Even my mom, who thinks that I take neck lines, etc too far, would love that outfit!

Okay, I'm looking at pics of the 7 Sisters, and I think I could get a hand AND a finger in before their necklines. Dun dun dun...

Maybe my hands are tiny or maybe they have excessively long necks (ahem, the latter)

or, maybe just.... :naughty:

Truly, this is the danger of modesty codes. Anyone can find anything alluring. Women are being held accountable for the idiosyncrasies of men. It can get very arbitrary. I am certain that is how the redical Muslims came up with the Burqa. Most reasonable Muslims feel they are modest and honoring their beliefs with a lovely headscarf. Taken to its logical conclusion, there is no modesty but complete covering.

How in the hell is neck skin immodest. I could understand maybe if she were showing cleavage, but neck skin? In that case even the Duggar girls are immodest. Oh, and my cat is defrauded nearly every morning when I get dressed. He just sits there and watches. But he's neutered, so maybe it doesn't have "urges"....LOL!

Not neck skin, the skin on your chest between the bottom of your neck and the top of your breasts.... I don't even know the name for that part of my body but I was told it was "very defrauding". I don't believe it anymore, but at the time I would only be able to wear crew neck t-shirts instead of v-neck. I had to be really careful about scoop neck shirts because they might be cut too low.

Modesty is all about goal post shifting at some point. You can't show your bum/vulva so you have to cover those, well you can't show your thighs because they're so close to that area, your knees are connected to your thighs so we can't be seeing those, oh, your calves are right there in the open reminding me of your knees better cover those up......HOLY SHIT GIRL YOU'RE SHOWING OFF YOUR ANKLES!!!! That's so immodest!

When you live in a world where all sin is a woman's fault, the women never can do anything right.

Archived