IGNORED

Miss Raquel reviews The Help

formergothardite

I remember reading that black men and women, on average, have a higher bone density than white men and women, which leads to less injuries in high contact sports like football. (It's also a theory on why black people supposedly have a harder time learning how to swim.)

Where I live, black people often don't know how to swim, but it's sadly more about poverty than anything (poverty-stricken whites and latinos also have this problem here. The state I live in has high poverty rates in general and there aren't many places that offer free or low cost swimming lessons). I never heard the theory that they have harder time learning to swim.

Dear Everyone:

When black people were slaves, one of the justifications for it was that they were physically better suited for hard physical labor than white people. Claims that black people are better or worse suited for physical activity today are directly descended from those arguments. In fact, there is an argument that black people are better at sports because they were bred for slavery. I just, can we not? The lily-white high school football players didn't all quit playing when they broke their femurs. Yes, I did just combat generalizations with another generalization.

Also, black people are not significantly taller on average than non-Hispanic white people in the states.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf

http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm

On her FB page Miss Raquel is :squealing:: over all the page views she got yesterday. I wonder how many of those were snarkers. LOL

Well, apparently she reviews movies about the same way she picks Superbowl winners. One of her reasons for picking the Giants was because they have more black people on their team. And, duh, black people are always better at sports. :doh:

She. Did. Not. Please tell me she didn't say that black people are better at sports.

Somewhere deep into the review, when she talks about the Hilly character, she FINALLY reveals a tiny hint of understanding that the movie deals with racism.

Other than that - it's just pretty actresses with cute clothes.

She. Did. Not. Please tell me she didn't say that black people are better at sports.

Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth...

Three Reasons I Was Rooting For the Giants:

1. I have lotsa friends in New York.

2. There were more black people on the Giants' team...and black people are KNOWN for being good at sports. (seriously!!)

3. According to the people I was hanging out with, the Giants are...just...better.

;)

Somewhere deep into the review, when she talks about the Hilly character, she FINALLY reveals a tiny hint of understanding that the movie deals with racism.

Other than that - it's just pretty actresses with cute clothes.

AND good hair. I don't know how you missed that, it was about a third of the review. :naughty:

AND good hair. I don't know how you missed that, it was about a third of the review. :naughty:

As a film reviewer, I have made comments on wardrobe, hairstyles and such, especially for period pieces. However, I also know that films often comment on the history and the culture of the time like "The Help." Of course, Raquel is too vacuous to go into this.

And she has an Etsy boutique:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mytreasuredlife

Damn, her photos look like they should be on Successories posters.

Back to the movie review...it's Bryce Dallas Howard, not Bryce Davis Howard. If you're going to go to the trouble of not actually reviewing a movie, while pretending that you are indeed reviewing a movie, at least get the names right.

Back to the movie review...it's Bryce Dallas Howard, not Bryce Davis Howard. If you're going to go to the trouble of not actually reviewing a movie, while pretending that you are indeed reviewing a movie, at least get the names right.

But that's soooooo haaaaaaaard!!!!! ::sigh::

Dear Everyone:

When black people were slaves, one of the justifications for it was that they were physically better suited for hard physical labor than white people. Claims that black people are better or worse suited for physical activity today are directly descended from those arguments. In fact, there is an argument that black people are better at sports because they were bred for slavery. I just, can we not? The lily-white high school football players didn't all quit playing when they broke their femurs. Yes, I did just combat generalizations with another generalization.

Also, black people are not significantly taller on average than non-Hispanic white people in the states.

Actually, (if I am remembering this correctly, I could be mis-remembering what I read, I'll have to look it up again) I got the bone density thing from one of Dr. Bill Bass's books - he's studied bones all of his life and it's well known that there are differences in the bones of the three main classifications - Caucasoid, Negroid and Mongoloid. I can't say much for any of the other generalizations, but I don't think the density thing is necessarily descended from slavery justifications.

Yes, black people have a higher bone density than white people, on average. But what does that mean for swimming? Body fat and muscle composition play into an individual's buoyancy as well. And a higher average density between races still allows for significant overlap--there's a greater difference of densities within a race than between them. 44% of black men, and 77% of black women say they can't swim--but women have a lower bone density than men. (White women 45%, White men 17%) In fact, black women have a lower bone density on average than white men. The effect of bone density is noise right now compared to the social and economic situation. (No access to pools, no access to swimming lessons, stigma of getting hair wet, the belief that your bones will make you sink right to the bottom before you can learn how to swim...)

http://www.ishof.org/black_history/pdf/drowning.pdf

And my point stands above with regard to the fracture rate. Only 31% of the NFL is white--it's not like in high school it starts out 70% white and 30% black (the demographics of the U.S.), and reverses because of all the white kids getting fractures that made them leave the sport? There's a racial disparity in who is playing what sport from a very young age--white people play soccer, black people play football, white people run cross country, black people run track, white people swim, black people play basketball.

I don't know why a famous white forensics doctor is immune to racist claims that have been passed down for generations.

I would love to see what Miss Raquel The Authoress would score on the English AP exam.

*smirks*

I got a 5/5. *toots own horn*

*stops using stupid internet constructions that would totally get me points knocked off on the AP exam*

I always thought of soccer as a multi-ethnic sport as opposed to a "white" one.

Socio-economic barriers to swimming are a real problem, as people tend to underestimate the risk of drowning.

I was coming here to say this, but then I decided...well...it doesn't really matter! :P Because you know what I mean. By the way...did you hear that Brad Pott and Angelea Jolie are adopting again? I just love Angelea Jolie...she always wears such adorable clothes. And I used to wish Brad would be mi esposo! :D haha

Dear Everyone:

I based that off of my personal observations from where I live (higher black populace than other locations), my uni (historically black, more white now due to demographics of the area, but plenty of blacks) and such that they appear, on average, especially the men, to be taller. I did not ever think about slave labor or base it off such a thing. Though, I do recall reading something in a child development book about the average height being about a half inch taller or something, on the average, which isn't much. Blacks also learn to walk and talk, on average, earlier than white babies too. There are probably many reasons for that, but it can't be argued they are less intellligent and born to be slaves there.

I don't see being taller as a bad thing. I'm barely 4'11'' and would love to be taller so, you know, forgive me for not seeing it as some sort of negative thing to be taller, on average. :oops: There are short people and tall people of every race. Genetics are a factor always in any race, along with environmental stunts or helps along the way to determine height. Maybe in the samples of 2000 people, they aren't really taller, but what's the big deal if they are? Slave owners used anything to justify slavery. Doesn't make it right, even if they are taller. Enslaving another person is wrong no matter what. Always. There is never a justification for it despite what nonsense idiots make up to try.

(Towards Raquel here). Technically, couldn't I justify that black people are smarter because they can talk and walk earlier, on the average, than their white counterparts?

For the record, I think every child deserves a good education regardless of their parents, religion, race, culture, socioeconomic status, disability, etc. I also think that no race has an advantage over the other in terms of ability in any form.

I work in a school with low income students and I see that there is a lot more support in the community's culture for athletics than academics. Getting parents to show up for parent teacher conferences is like pulling teeth but plenty of parents will show up to support their kid's basketball game.

Anyway I feel infuriated when she called the racism depicted in the film as "irritating." Raquel what is wrong with you? Injustice should make a person's blood boil.

I am not a fan of Tom Brady's, but I don't really see why he's a bad person. Yeah, his break up with his old girlfriend seems a little sketchy, but in his defense, he didn't know she was pregnant when they broke up. He doesn't trash talk his teammates or other teams, so I'm not sure where she's coming from. Most importantly, it is impossible to say that Tom Brady is not attractive. Scientists have confirmed it.

My neighobrs really, really dislike Brady because they say that he is arrogant. They are conservative also. Because I've only just started getting into football this year, I can't say for certain what they are basing their claims on.

I was coming here to say this, but then I decided...well...it doesn't really matter! :P Because you know what I mean. By the way...did you hear that Brad Pott and Angelea Jolie are adopting again? I just love Angelea Jolie...she always wears such adorable clothes. And I used to wish Brad would be mi esposo! :D haha

Yes, Brad Pott and Angelea Jolie are pretty legit.*

* Seriously, has Miss Raquel ever looked up the definition of the word "legitimate" in the dictionary? Because I don't think it means what she seems to think it means.

Archived