IGNORED

Weird FLDS Ad Campaign

There was an ad in my local paper from the FLDS. Apparently they ran an ad in a bunch of papers. Friday it was in the Washington Post, NY Times, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Salt Lake Tribune, Idaho Statesman, among others. Basically it's telling people to repent and go to their website flds.org where you can order various proclamations and such. If you go to the website, that's all it is - an order form.

So...are they trying to convert the rest of us? Or just get money out of us?

Get money for their property taxes and legal fund for the ones that have been thrown out.

Well that's very interesting. I guess Uncle Warren has been draining their coffers even from jail. There appears to be no end to how outrageously FLDS leaders will behave.

Conversion is always about money!

I've wondered if it doesn't have something to do with Romney, though I think it will hurt his campaign. I don't know that I want a president who think he's a spirit brother of Jesus and Satan who was originally born on a satellite planet orbiting the star Kolob, reborn here with the hope of one day being his own God on his own planet with his many wives and zillion kids. Oh, yeah, and God will one day rule from Missouri.

I've wondered if it doesn't have something to do with Romney, though I think it will hurt his campaign. I don't know that I want a president who think he's a spirit brother of Jesus and Satan who was originally born on a satellite planet orbiting the star Kolob, reborn here with the hope of one day being his own God on his own planet with his many wives and zillion kids. Oh, yeah, and God will one day rule from Missouri.

This morning NPR had a story about Mitts FLDS kin down in Mexico. They talked about supporting him, but not being very out about it because of negative public opinion related to polygamy.

Is it possible to link all this to LDS materials such as Book of Mormon or Pearl of Great Price? I don't doubt it; I'd just like to go back to the sources.

Lmao. Funny because it's true. Adam and Eve living in Missouri...*Shakes head*

Yes, it is running in the Las Vegas Review Journal too. Weird, but since we are so close to FDLS central (Hilldale, Utah), I wasn't totally surprised. Jeffs was caught in Nevada, so I guess we are on his list of those who must repent. ;)

See, stuff like this bugs me a bit. I don't think it's any better than the people who would be horrified at the idea of a Muslim or atheist president. This stuff is no weirder than any other religion. Every single president we've ever had has at least claimed to be religious, and I don't really think Romney should be different. There are many better reasons to oppose Romney, like his actual policies.

Lmao. Funny because it's true. Adam and Eve living in Missouri...*Shakes head*

It's also funny because an off-shoot of an off-shoot owns Temple Lot, the exact place that Mormons and all their ilk believe that Jesus will magically reappear. The Mormons have been trying to buy it forever. Driving around Independence, MO (where all this crap is) is quite the education.

See, stuff like this bugs me a bit. I don't think it's any better than the people who would be horrified at the idea of a Muslim or atheist president. This stuff is no weirder than any other religion. Every single president we've ever had has at least claimed to be religious, and I don't really think Romney should be different. There are many better reasons to oppose Romney, like his actual policies.

You make a good point, Rachel. I'll admit the idea of a Mormon President makes me rather nervous, because I have Mormon family members and I know what the church's agenda is. But it is discrimination to single him out because he's Mormon. He'll be just as bad as any other candidate with a religious agenda. ;)

Well, I think Mormonism is a little different because it tries to rewrite the history of America which is relatively modern and much more verifiable than say Biblical times or Biblical history. I mean it is a little silly. I know not all Mormons believe in the history of the Book of Mormon...but for those that do, they're just as mockable as other fundies.

It's just, if you're going to criticize Mormonism, why go for the weird factor? Believing in Kolob or that the Garden of Eden is in Missouri doesn't really make a huge difference in their everyday life. That stuff just doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me about Mormonism are issues like the lower status of women in the church, their racist past, and their terrible treatment of gay people. I guess those issues just aren't as exciting, though. A lot of the anti-Mormon rhetoric comes from Evangelical Christians, and they aren't really going to focus as much on the issues I mentioned because they have the same problems. (I actually think Santorum's or the Duggars' form of Christianity is worse for women than Mormonism.)

I don't find this any more wacky that mainstream Christianity or really any other religion.

Is it possible to link all this to LDS materials such as Book of Mormon or Pearl of Great Price? I don't doubt it; I'd just like to go back to the sources.

Why yes, yes it is possible

One of the basic beliefs in mormonism is that we are all spirit children of God and spirit brother and sisters of Jesus and Satan. Ask any mormon and they'll tell you that. The place that I've found best explains it is this Ensign article. http://lds.org/ensign/1986/06/i-have-a- ... n?lang=eng

It is the section "How can Jesus and Lucifer be spirit brothers when their characters and purposes are so utterly opposed?"

You can find out about Kolob in the mormon's book Abraham. It can be found here. http://lds.org/scriptures/pgp/abr/3?lang=eng

God will rule from Missouri can be found here in the 10th Article of Faith. http://lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1?lang=eng It doesn't exactly say Missouri, but that is the common held belief...'cause there's where the Garden of Eden was, you know.

The New and Everlasting Covenant can be found in Doctrine and Covenants 132, this is polygamy and eternal marriage. (58-66 tell us about polygamy specifically.)

http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132?lang=eng

Also found in D&C 132 is where the exalted shall be gods of their own planets. It can be found in verse 20.

Hope that helps.

And to add, I don't think it's weirder than any other religion, hence me leaving all religions when I left mormonism.

Archived