IGNORED

So is god jewish or christian?

doggie

So if god wrote the old testament (a jewish bible) then he wrote the new testament (a christian book) did god change his religion or is he both or what?

but were jews not his chosen people then when he sent his son down to die then he wanted people to be christian? what did not the jews make him happy? sp he dumped them and went for the christian option?

So were adam and eve jewish?

The Apostles wrote the New Testament.

The Old Testament is a collection of Oral Histories passed down generation to generation. Imagine a huge game of telephone 4000 years old.

One could say the same about the Torah and the Quaran. Is he Muslim, is he Jewish?

I agree with what Tabitha said, religions themselves are all man made.

But at the same time, I fail to understand how if there is a God, why he wouldn't give us some clear signs, but by all means its therein that lies the debate on what people think are signs and 'the rules' etc.

I am kind of pointing my finger at fundies and their logic. not really reality. so do they think god was jewish and changed or what? they think the bible is the word of god then how can they justify god writing a jewish book and the new testament?

So if god wrote the old testament (a jewish bible) then he wrote the new testament (a christian book) did god change his religion or is he both or what?

You forgot the third part of trilogy. God's Muslim.

No, no. God's a Mormon, that's the third part. God's a Muslim is like a total reboot. It's like comparing the new Trek movie to the original series, whereas the Book of Mormon is, like, DS9.

Now, where does the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_Faith]Baha'i faith[/link] fit in? :think:

A bat shit crazy cult that had no problems with my ex-husband beating the ever living shit out of his pregnant wife and infant son. Infact they encouraged it. :evil:

I always thought God as with many faces and names. Religions are indeed man-made, but I believe God made different faiths (not just the Abrahamic faiths but also Pagan faiths) so life wouldn't be boring.

Imagine if we all had the same beliefs/languages, that would be just plain boring and dull, there would be nothing new.

A bat shit crazy cult that had no problems with my ex-husband beating the ever living shit out of his pregnant wife and infant son. Infact they encouraged it. :evil:

S&^%! Is that true? I thought they were all about the peace, something like buddhists? I was truly, honestly thinking of joining last year! I discoved they were a kind of muslim splinter group by accident and I didn't join. I don't want to be affialiated with the big groups so to speak.

You've raised an interesting sort of philosophical question though. As I understand it, Jews were required to follow the Laws of the OT and obviously believe in God but then if Jesus is supposed to be God in human forum there to create a peaceful, better universe and one that's free from the Law then that obviously throws everything pre Jesus into a clusterfuck. I think this line of reasoning is where the Jews for Jesus get their fuel because they feel that Jesus was the perfect fulfillment of prophecy and therefore everyone should be a Christian. But, this line of reasoning falls apart when one considers that Jews do not reject the idea of the Messiah that was prophesized. They merely don't think Jesus was the Messiah. Technically, they are still waiting for him to come. Also, Christianity came many centuries after Jesus. The Jesus Movement, the followers of Jesus in his own time, were not fully Christians but more or less a radical Jewish schism.

I always thought God as with many faces and names. Religions are indeed man-made, but I believe God made different faiths (not just the Abrahamic faiths but also Pagan faiths) so life wouldn't be boring.

Imagine if we all had the same beliefs/languages, that would be just plain boring and dull, there would be nothing new.

If there is a god this is what I think too. I mean if you think about it most holy books claim god as the author or the inspiration.

You've raised an interesting sort of philosophical question though. As I understand it, Jews were required to follow the Laws of the OT and obviously believe in God but then if Jesus is supposed to be God in human forum there to create a peaceful, better universe and one that's free from the Law then that obviously throws everything pre Jesus into a clusterfuck. I think this line of reasoning is where the Jews for Jesus get their fuel because they feel that Jesus was the perfect fulfillment of prophecy and therefore everyone should be a Christian. But, this line of reasoning falls apart when one considers that Jews do not reject the idea of the Messiah that was prophesized. They merely don't think Jesus was the Messiah. Technically, they are still waiting for him to come. Also, Christianity came many centuries after Jesus. The Jesus Movement, the followers of Jesus in his own time, were not fully Christians but more or less a radical Jewish schism.

Yes you have caught what I was after. but when you think about it having to know jesus to go to heaven fucked everyone over in the past anyway.

God cared do much that his people follow his laws that he punished them with invasions and captivity every single time the majority of them stopped following them.

Then, he decided to send the son that he didn't tell anyone existed. Mankind no longer had to follow those rules. It seems a bit insulting to all the Israelites that he let be murdered or enslaved during invasions.

As a Jew, I don't believe God is Jewish. The Jewish people are the descendants of a tribe that has a particular deal with God, but that does not mean that God is Jewish or that S/He cannot make other deals with other tribes or reveal another side of himself to another group of people. It's the classic Blind Men and the Elephant situation. We all perceive God from different angles and assume that our perception is the only right one.

I reject Christianity as a continuation of the Jewish faith, but I believe it can be valid on its own merit. I'll keep waiting for my Messianic age, and y'all can believe whatever your own experiences lead you to believe.

I just want to know why God changed his mind from okaying murder and rape in the OT to telling people to turn the other cheek in the NT. He's a lot nicer in the NT, other than telling people they should go to hell if they don't follow Jesus, but comes across as rather fickle.

IMO, God is how people explained the unexplained. Just my personal opinion.

Fascinating discussion! I understand what Emmie is saying, and that makes a lot of sense. OTOH, for Christians, God must be Christian because of that whole Trinity thing: God in three persons--God the father, God the son, and God the holy spirit. If Jesus the son is Christian (which I think Christians do believe even though they sometimes refer to him as a Jewish carpenter) the God the father must be Christian.

Wow! Never thought about this before.

Neither, there is no mention of any specific religion til G made the Jews his Chosen people but it doesnt say they are his only people. H allowed animal sacrifice which is typical of paganism. Arguments on religion can go on and on usaully ending in a tit for tat resolution!

Archived