IGNORED

Glitter Bombed...

Deleted07

Just googling around, and found this article about Santorum getting glitter-bombed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/2 ... 21447.html

As Santorum closed his speech focusing on building strong family values, a gay rights activist said: "Except when you're gay" and threw a handful of glitter in the air.

Members of the Occupy Charleston group joined in with chants of "Rick, Rick, Rick, bigot, bigot, bigot" and singing "Santorum, Santorum, you're a bigot."

BuzzFeed reports that at least one member of the Duggar family, the reality-TV stars who've endorsed the socially conservative candidate, were hit with glitter.

We were talking about glitter bombing on another thread a few days back weren't we? Fess up, was it a Free Jingerite!? :mrgreen:

would glitter even stick to him? or would it jsut slide off his greasy hide? well with his frozen balls it may just bounce off his icy ass.

And.... not a word about the incident on the prolific Mr. Duggar's Twitter. Was he there? Or does he even understand the significance of glitter bombing?

Ooooo, I wonder which Duggar got hit....

:pray: pleaseletitbesmuggar pleaseletitbesmuggar pleaseletitbesmuggar :pray:

I read that from another source and a huge smile broke out across my wizened face. That was an awesome act. :clap:

I realize that they could have been throwing something more dangerous than just glitter, but the way both of the protesters (the brunette woman and the man at the end of the clip) are shoved around makes me extremely uncomfortable. The thought of Santorum with any political power makes even more uncomfortable, though.

I can imagine if smugs got glitterfied, he would high-tail it back to his skeezy Motel for a shower, in case 'the gay is catching'. :roll:

Men in the audience tried to contain the group of about 10 protesters — including an elder son of the reality-TV Duggar family — getting hit with glitter themselves in the process. Police removed the protesters from the event as they yelled “Bigot! Bigot!†and “Occupy is everywhere!†An attendee of the speech hit one of them in the face on their way out the door.

http://www.occupyboston.org/2012/01/22/ ... down-12212

I realize that they could have been throwing something more dangerous than just glitter, but the way both of the protesters (the brunette woman and the man at the end of the clip) are shoved around makes me extremely uncomfortable. The thought of Santorum with any political power makes even more uncomfortable, though.

I feel the same way, I can understand the body guards running in quickly just in case it wasn't glitter to protect Frothy, but the shoving from the crowd is too much.

Interesting contrast when Santorum got glitter bombed in Iowa no one was shoving the bomber and the Santorathugs weren't even present.

riffles

Someone must tweet the Smugger and tell him that he's got glitter in his hair. :laughing-rolling:

I asked if he got hit... Does that count?

I think the glitter bomb was a real jerk move, all I kept thinking was neither party was going to have to clean up the mess and some poor, over worked, underpaid person who didn't even want those people there was going to get stuck cleaning up the mess. That and what if it had gotten into someone's eye? Would they have a scratched eye? Juliette Gordon Low's deafness in one which was caused on her wedding day when some rice was thrown into her ear.

It may be funny but I doubt it made an impact at all.

eta riffles. and again as I shouldn't spell words like I say them. :doh: Time to get back into speach therapy for myself. :oops:

I'm a lover of glitter bombs/confetti bombs. I just did some research on the danger of using them. From what I learned current protesters are using large glitter and not the fine stuff.

I'd like to suggest that activists switch to Fruit Loops, they come in colors of the rainbow. Fruit Loops won't have that long time staying power that traditional glitter has but it will be far less dangerous to those right wing nuts who want to imprison GBLT individuals and deny them civil rights.

It wasn't me! I still think it's counterproductive.

I do hope it was JB though, who will be forced to say something about gays into a camera, which will live on for all time on the web.

I'd throw something resembling a frothy mix at them.

I'm a lover of glitter bombs/confetti bombs. I just did some research on the danger of using them. From what I learned current protesters are using large glitter and not the fine stuff.

I'd like to suggest that activists switch to Fruit Loops, they come in colors of the rainbow. Fruit Loops won't have that long time staying power that traditional glitter has but it will be far less dangerous to those right wing nuts who want to imprison GBLT individuals and deny them civil rights.

And using the Duggars' "buy used and save the difference" mentality (har dee har har), maybe they can run around collecting the cereal for the next morning's breakfast. Or Josh can grab it for his mid-mid-afternoon snack.

You know, when criticizing the glitter bombers (or, to go back in time a little, the pretzel tossers around GWB) it's important to remember the level of violence on the side of the racist and anti-choice folks Santorum talks nice about, who have used real bombs and bullets more than once.

I mean, we talk about "why doesn't anyone do anything about Hepzibah house?"

What if someone followed around the political supporters of Hepzibah House throwing something symbolic (I don't know, shredded Bibles?) at them, and it got press even 10% of the time. Would it erode their support? The glitterbombing is used on antigay politicians who support "therapy" and "education" that drives people to suicide.

You know, when criticizing the glitter bombers (or, to go back in time a little, the pretzel tossers around GWB) it's important to remember the level of violence on the side of the racist and anti-choice folks Santorum talks nice about, who have used real bombs and bullets more than once.

I mean, we talk about "why doesn't anyone do anything about Hepzibah house?"

What if someone followed around the political supporters of Hepzibah House throwing something symbolic (I don't know, shredded Bibles?) at them, and it got press even 10% of the time. Would it erode their support? The glitterbombing is used on antigay politicians who support "therapy" and "education" that drives people to suicide.

Often time I measure the acts of some by the conscience of my departed friend Harry Hay. I ask myself what would Harry do? A simple flounce wearing his trademark pearls and danglesh or an overt guerilla piece of street theater designed by his old lover Will? I'm guessing that Harry would go for the glitter and be damned for the consequences.

I'm not a big fan of the glitter bombing, personally, not because I think it's violent or that people are going to suffer any physical or emotional scars. As a previous poster said, I do think it's counterproductive. On the one hand, there's something inherently combative about throwing stuff at the opposition, regardless of whether it's glitter or grenades. On the other, glitter is silly and fun, and when we're talking about attaining rights for a significant portion of the population, throwing glitter adds this kind of levity that doesn't really communicate the sad state of GLBT rights in this country. Glitter bombing can be funny to the people who are already on "our" side, but I don't think it does anything to advance the cause.

I see glitterbombing as pretty benign.

It's kind of an intriguing practice and I don't know how much practical use it has (except for the lulz?) but seriously, it might scratch someone? That has to be a chance in a million.

Archived