IGNORED

Glitter Bombed...

Deleted07

Okay, the way I see it, either Smuggar, JD or Joseph was hit....

GIVE ME A PLEASE

GIVE ME A LET

GIVE ME A BE

GIVE ME A SMUGGAR

WHAT DOES IT SPELL?

IT SPELLS " Those prterstor should have thrown a pig at Smuggars face!!!"

Yes a pig. why? cause pigs are cool like that.

Okay, the way I see it, either Smuggar, JD or Joseph was hit....

GIVE ME A PLEASE

GIVE ME A LET

GIVE ME A BE

GIVE ME A SMUGGAR

WHAT DOES IT SPELL?

IT SPELLS " Those prterstor should have thrown a pig at Smuggars face!!!"

Yes a pig. why? cause pigs are cool like that.

I lost it laughing at this. A live pig ;)

Srsly it is like Black Bloc stuff. There comes a time where a polite letter to the authorities gets you fuck all. That time is usually after you posted it. Unusual or more confrontational tactics have the dual benefit of being amusing and being startling.

I heard A member of your family may have been 'glitter bombed' on saturday at a Santorum rally in SC. Sorry for the lack of class that a few of my fellow state members possess.

This was posted on Amy Dyggar's facebook wall. She hasn't responded with which Duggar was glittered yet.

I disagree that it's counterproductive. Among other things, because of Facebook friends posting glitterbomb stories, they've come out as allies to many of their older relatives who are having to at least pretend to defend their ridiculous homophobia (and we're coming up on a vote on changing our constitution to oppress gay people this year, so it's important that all the folks who fled to the city engage with their rural aunts, uncles & grandparents about it.)

And I guarantee that in that crowd there was a teenager who's afraid to come out, who is at risk of being sent to a pray away the gay "counselor" (the original target of the glitterbombers, remember) or worse, and now they know that even if their parents have the power to do that to them, they do not have universal support in that - someone out there thinks it's wrong, and those people are brave, fun, and fabulous.

Glitter bombing is a harmless, non-violent method of protesting. However, when I was discussing this incident with a friend, she said it makes her nervous that protesters were able to get that close to any presidential candidate. Security fail.

Why is Santorum (or Santorum's people) allowing the Duggars to follow him on the campaign trail? Does he have any control over that? It seems like the Duggars are almost acting like Santorum's self-appointed celebrity spokespeople. I know some celebrities will openly support a candidate, and even do some fundraising for that candidate, but they're generally higher level celebrities,like musicians or actors. The Duggars are reality stars--in other words, bottom of the barrel celebs. I realize that Santorum probably can't do any better than the Duggars in terms of celeb endorsement, but if it were me, I'd go with no celeb endorsement.

Why is Santorum (or Santorum's people) allowing the Duggars to follow him on the campaign trail? Does he have any control over that? It seems like the Duggars are almost acting like Santorum's self-appointed celebrity spokespeople. I know some celebrities will openly support a candidate, and even do some fundraising for that candidate, but they're generally higher level celebrities,like musicians or actors. The Duggars are reality stars--in other words, bottom of the barrel celebs. I realize that Santorum probably can't do any better than the Duggars in terms of celeb endorsement, but if it were me, I'd go with no celeb endorsement.

The do represent his base, they are known fundy celebs, they can deliver crowds and they're donating money.

I disagree that it's counterproductive. Among other things, because of Facebook friends posting glitterbomb stories, they've come out as allies to many of their older relatives who are having to at least pretend to defend their ridiculous homophobia (and we're coming up on a vote on changing our constitution to oppress gay people this year, so it's important that all the folks who fled to the city engage with their rural aunts, uncles & grandparents about it.)

And I guarantee that in that crowd there was a teenager who's afraid to come out, who is at risk of being sent to a pray away the gay "counselor" (the original target of the glitterbombers, remember) or worse, and now they know that even if their parents have the power to do that to them, they do not have universal support in that - someone out there thinks it's wrong, and those people are brave, fun, and fabulous.

Re: your first point, I guess I feel like there are a million and one compelling stories that could be shared on Facebook about GLBT people in this country, to educate older and/or more conservative relatives that the GLBT community is not the boogeyman that the religious right makes it out to be. Like I said, stories about glitterbombing just make the whole thing seem silly and flippant when really, it's an extremely serious issue for millions of people. My point being, I guess there are so many different approaches that are just as, if not much more, effective in beginning a dialogue on the topic of GLBT rights. Conversely, I feel like many people would be turned off by and/or more likely to dismiss stories about glitterbombing. Again, I have no hard and fast data on this, it's just a feeling that it's really not an effective way of reaching the "middle of the road" crowd.

My issue with the second point is that we talk day in and day out about how sheltered fundie youth are. Presumably, that holds true for the closeted kids as well. Being mainstream, we have some social context for the whole idea behind glitter and fabulousness, but I'm not sure a fundie kid would have that social awareness. Would the gay kid that's standing in the audience make the connection between glitter being tossed on some scummy fundie politician and the "ungodly urgings" he's having for the cute boy at church? Again, I have no idea, because I'm not the closeted fundie kid, but as much as I hope so, somehow I doubt it.

Again, I have no hard and fast data on this, it's just a feeling that it's really not an effective way of reaching the "middle of the road" crowd.

But are they trying to reach the middle-of-the-road crowd, or are they just protesting hatred in a non-violent way?

I see it as a thread in the tapestry, a little thing moving us infinitesimally closer to where we need to be. With glitter. :D

I would think that Josiah would be delighted to be glitter-bombed.

:D This made me giggle to myself Anderson style...oh dear. The picture with him all arms folded was great too.

Looks like Frothy dodged a bomb today.

http://www.postonpolitics.com/2012/01/s ... nt-page-1/

Several protesters were taken away by police after they threw a bomb at GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum — a glitter bomb, that is.

Protesters first tossed glitter at Santorum several days ago in South Carolina because of his stance against homosexuality.

Santorum appeared to have avoided the hit at a town hall in Lady Lake on Monday, not showing any sign of glitter on his face or head as he left the town hall. Several of his staffers were directly hit.

Again, for the record, I must state I had an alibi.

edited to add better photos

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_p ... eting.html

Archived