IGNORED

Remember Emily and Dna?

Nancy Drew

She had 3 kids when she closed the blog down and has had a 4th since then. I think someone did some investigating and found out the landlord didn't know she had the 2 oldest boys, but thought Thomas (#3) was her first child. Does anyone else remember this or am I hallucinating?

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She had 3 kids when she closed the blog down and has had a 4th since then. I think someone did some investigating and found out the landlord didn't know she had the 2 oldest boys, but thought Thomas (#3) was her first child. Does anyone else remember this or am I hallucinating?

I thought it was something like that. Wasn't there also concern that the children were living in a laundry room with no second fire exit?

Re: the photos for those new to Emily and Dna, yes the one with the boy sleeping was when he was sick and ended up hospitalized. And the photo with the crib with a mattress under it - one of the boys liked sleeping on the mattress while it was under the crib and Emily let him keep doing that. I think that was the case, if not someone please correct!

Re: the photos for those new to Emily and Dna, yes the one with the boy sleeping was when he was sick and ended up hospitalized. And the photo with the crib with a mattress under it - one of the boys liked sleeping on the mattress while it was under the crib and Emily let him keep doing that. I think that was the case, if not someone please correct!

IIRC, the sleeping under it was to save space, because he "liked" it. He also peed all over it, but she didn't use a waterproof cover or put him in training pants for night or naps either.

I thought it was something like that. Wasn't there also concern that the children were living in a laundry room with no second fire exit?

Yeah, wasn't the room something like 5x8 feet?

Yeah, wasn't the room something like 5x8 feet?

Yeah, someone noticed hookups for a washer in one of the walls in a picture (for those new here, they washed clothes in some portable washing machine thing in the bathroom) so it was a laundry room and a compact one at that. I'm iffy on whether there was a window or not.

There was a window in the boys' bedroom. I remember her saying the window faced into the hallway so they had to keep a blanket over it. I'll never forget how she said she really liked their room and that it was "brimming with color and fun." What the fuck? Brimming with filth and accidents waiting to happen is more like it.

That is horrifying. That apartment would maybe be suitable for one or two ADULTS. Full of crap and dirty? Who cares! You are two adults in a space and trying new (albeit dumb) ways to maximize that space- but you can't-- ARGH.

I'm just really shaking my head because I know that blog was mentioned a lot on the LJ community poor_skills but it just never interested me. (I prefered skimming hillbilly housewife)

I'm just astounded.

And a desk lamp duct taped or somehow rigged up to the wall, dangerously close to the bath tub. Before she had the Wonderwash she was washing cloth diapers in the bathtub by hand and let the kids help because they thought it was fun. Don't get me wrong, I love using cloth diapers (I haven't been lately because my boy has a stubborn rash :() but there are some things you just don't wash by hand... I have a high-power diaper sprayer that gets all the poop off and I still would not wash them by hand! YUCK!!!

Is the shelf above the crib made of wood and old rags to hold it together? It looks like stripes from an old sheet that she has twisted into strings.

Oh Jesus, the wonderwash. Someone linked to a page of reviews and apparently it just didn't work at all, even on regular clothes. She was "washing" cloth diapers in that thing, and then putting the rest of their clothes in. :shock: No wonder the kids got sick.

Also, thanks for the pictures. I've been seriously needing to unfuck my habitat, and that is a big inspiration to start throwing out and scrubbing down. :lol:

ETA: And wasn't there something really dangerous -- a hanging hazard -- just above the crib? I don't think I saw it in those pictures, but I remember a lot of concern about that.

I think it was the shelving, how it was over the crib and could easily be pulled down on the child. Then of course there was the crib itself which she had 'painted'. I did wonder myself how old the crib was and if the paint was safe as she didn't seem to strip it first. Then there was the child in the bare, pee stained mattress underneath of course.

Oh Jesus, the wonderwash. Someone linked to a page of reviews and apparently it just didn't work at all, even on regular clothes. She was "washing" cloth diapers in that thing, and then putting the rest of their clothes in. :shock: No wonder the kids got sick.

Also, thanks for the pictures. I've been seriously needing to unfuck my habitat, and that is a big inspiration to start throwing out and scrubbing down. :lol:

ETA: And wasn't there something really dangerous -- a hanging hazard -- just above the crib? I don't think I saw it in those pictures, but I remember a lot of concern about that.

She also washed the sheet in that small bucket. :?

Here are the shelves above the crib:

room1

Didn't she wash sheets and nappies in the shower stall at first? Before she got the wonder wash?

How on earth she managed to get them clean like that is beyond me. I remember her saying that when she did get the wonder wash she used it with cold water. The wonder wash is OK for small items which aren't that dirty, but you have to use it with hot water. The heat from the water creates pressure which is how the wonder wash works.

I'd forgot about that! Yeah, soap nuts and cold water, that's gonna get the shit out of the nappies!

Oh and anyone remember the lemon juice she used as deodorant? I wonder if she used the same lemon slice to then make Dna's soda drinks!

She was always going on about the greatness of soap nuts in her Wonder Washer. Remeber her tin can lettuce garden?

Oh yes! She wrote that she will get all her salads from her own window garden... turned out that her dinner "salads" consisted of two lettuce leaves. For five people.

I also remember the reading lamp/bed lamp she had in the bathroom because the regular lamp was broken. It was just a lamp with a cord plugged into a regular electrical socket. That's illegal to use in bathrooms here, because it is too dangerous. But her little boys got their baths in that death trap.

Oh and anyone remember the lemon juice she used as deodorant? I wonder if she used the same lemon slice to then make Dna's soda drinks!

She could have just purchased some alun and mixed with water. But I guess that was too extravagant for Emily.

Oh man, the skirt cheese. Making food...in a piece of old clothing...that had been washed in the same wonder washer as everything else.

I miss Emily's craziness, I really do.

Is there pepper in that cheese or is that lint? I make cheese (with actual cheese cloth or butter muslin), and that picture is all sorts of wrong.

Oh man, the skirt cheese. Making food...in a piece of old clothing...that had been washed in the same wonder washer as everything else.

I miss Emily's craziness, I really do.

The skirt cheese...but it's such a cute fabric! I can't imagine ruining such a cute fabric (I love me some polka dots).

Why is the apartment draped in fabric? Why is everything so freaking UGLY?!?! I'm poor. 99% of my stuff is used (couch and love seat is new, we bought it with last years tax return, after 5 years of a used, and dead couch and love seat), but it looks nice. TV stand was my MILs, she knew I loved it and gave it to me when she bought a flat screen; range, microwave, washing machine & 2 8.5 foot tall IKEA book cases all from craigslist, kitchen table from thrift store, kitchen chairs saved on trash day, etc etc etc, but my house doesn't look like crap! My kids have REAL shelves in their rooms, REAL beds, I don't get the whole "eh, whatever, my kids need nothing!" attitude.

Digging further into Google results for her "freeedomwriter" handle, I found this:

becomingeducated.com/4/about-me/

A snippet of text from the above post:

I was one of those high school students who took all of the AP classes available to me. The only AP class I skipped was AP Spanish, and that was because I was in Latin, not Spanish, and we did not have an AP Latin class in my high school. After high school, I went to one year of college, seizing that 4.0 GPA. After just one year, I got my M.R.S. and haven’t looked back since. I had my first child 9 months after my wedding and have had a child almost every year since then.

I have no desire for a degree. Getting a college degree just means that I will be welcome to pursue a certain career of some sort or another. I have no desire for a career. I guess you could say I currently have a career, and a darn successful one. I am an internet marketer. Someday, I may explain exactly what that means on this site, but many just think that means I am a scammer or a spammer. That’s fine with me; I like to think of myself as colorful. I am turning my internet marketing business into a full time passive income in order to pursue my real passion: education.

She also says in that post that she makes a full time income by only working two hours a day. Can one really make any significant amount of money by setting up spammy websites?

The Wonderwash! Then there was the stuffed animals in the bathroom, and no working light.

I forgot about the giant stuffed dog in the bathroom - wasn't its name Brad, or something?

I had forgotten how bad that apartment looked. I really don't think anyone will ever be able to match the crazy that was Emily and Dna.

Archived