IGNORED

The Duggars and Modesty

Sister Mary Savage

About the whole popping out the baby on the crapper...I am amazed that the midwife had no clue that that "need" to use the potty is a classic sign someone is ready to give birth. If she had only given Anna a looksee she might have realized she was ready to pop!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For fundies like the Duggars, modesty - and while you're at it all morality - is tied to sex. If it's thought of as the least bit sexual, it's immodest. Humility or disgustingness aren't sexual, so they can talk about it.

We've been married for a year and have been getting the kid question a lot lately. My response is: "We've been trying, but we just figured out we've been using the wrong hole". Let me tell you, the subject gets changed pretty quickly after that.

Don't forget the scene in Scotland (Ireland?) where the girls were drinking cow's milk straight from the udder and it squirted all over their faces.

The Duggars are soooo righteously modest, and yet they are so vulgar. I have previously mentioned the "poopy diaper game" at Mackynzie's baby shower. I know it's a game that people play at baby showers (smearing different kinds of chocolate into diapers and making guests smell/taste them), but it doesn't seem like one you'd play if you were so concerned with "purity" and women as princesses/biblical ladies. There are some cultures (Orthodox Judaism comes to mind) where modesty or "tznius" is a state of mind; it's about genuinely dressing and behaving like a lady. Not calling attention to yourself, not making poop and pee jokes all the time, not putting the most intimate and/or gross details of your family life on national TV. I'm not saying I'm an advocate of ever controlling people's dress or behavior...but if you're gonna do it, at least do it consistently, and let covering the body accompany actual dignity.

Oh...and why can't the daughters just be virgins without us having to hear about it every episode? Why do we have to know what their hymens are like--is that modest? Really? You know, Jim Bob, every time I see a purity ring on one of your daughters, it makes me think of her vagina. And you know why? Because that is the public function of a purity ring: to telegraph to the world that no penises have been in that vagina, and that none will for awhile. Really, really modest.

Now I WONDER if Mullet wears any panties underneath. I won't be able to chase this out of my head for awhile.... :roll: :doh: *BARF*

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

A

bout the whole popping out the baby on the crapper.

That kid is going to have issues when he grows up--and I just mean from his birth on the toilet being filmed......

A.

That kid is going to have issues when he grows up--and I just mean from his birth on the toilet being filmed......

If he went to public school after this... WOW...

:D

About the whole popping out the baby on the crapper...I am amazed that the midwife had no clue that that "need" to use the potty is a classic sign someone is ready to give birth. If she had only given Anna a looksee she might have realized she was ready to pop!

She's not a midwife. But anyway, anna mentioned she'd been involved in the natural birth community for 18 years. 18 years and she didn't know that feeling you have to poop means it's time to push?!

Naturally, it's a good sign and I heard of it from many woman. Yet, they still could have cut out the poop conversation. Unnecessary. Did they mean to be educational? Really? This should have been an intimate homebirth with few ppl involved.

PS Josh's stunt over anna"s agony was so fake: yes you can do this! No I won"t take you to a hospital, that would cost me 20Grand so I lay me down to sleep and you keep comlaining to whoever gives a hooping font.

Oh...and why can't the daughters just be virgins without us having to hear about it every episode? Why do we have to know what their hymens are like--is that modest? Really? You know, Jim Bob, every time I see a purity ring on one of your daughters, it makes me think of her vagina. And you know why? Because that is the public function of a purity ring: to telegraph to the world that no penises have been in that vagina, and that none will for awhile. Really, really modest.

It also (unsurprisingly) goes entirely against their insistence that it's just what they've chosen for themselves and that they don't care what other people do. Wearing a purity ring on a TV show turns the personal choice to only have sex within marriage into a political statement about premarital sex.

She's not a midwife. But anyway, anna mentioned she'd been involved in the natural birth community for 18 years. 18 years and she didn't know that feeling you have to poop means it's time to push?!

I believe she did know, something was said about it during the episode.

As I've refused to actually watch the show for the last 2 years but see this quoted repeatedly, I have to ask:

They actually filmed her and aired her BIRTHING HER CHILD ON A TOILET??

Yes, seriously. Oh, and Smuggar took a nap. :o

I wrote in depth about the Duggars and "modesty" in this post: http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot ... odest.html

I left a comment and forgot to add who I was. :doh: Anyway I'm one of the anon posters and I wrote about one of the lost boys stealing the candy at Anna's baby shower.

Awesome post and you really hit the nail on the head.

I think she should get a pair of these tights. Lol.

dating-fails-choose-your-level-of-involvement-handsy-stocking.jpg

OMG! I need to buy those tights for my neice who get the greatest kick out them.

Please, please share where we can buy those. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

What I learned about pants being for men and women wear skirts thing from my priest was God knew that 2000 years later humans would interpret that pants are for men and women wear skirts ( such as in the bathroom signs) and that's how it's supposed to be. I don't think I explained myself very well but I've only had 4 hours sleep.

So... Dunny* signs are ancient signs from God...?

Ditto on the 4 hours' sleep.

*Aussie for toilet.

I was thinking about this earlier today when I saw the two older girls at Wal-Mart. At first I didn't notice them because they were Duggars, I noticed them because of their clothing. Jana was wearing all black, and I don't remember what Jill was wearing other than one of those long jean skirts you really only see on fundies. They looked very pretty, but they stand out too much to really be considered modest.

What I learned about pants being for men and women wear skirts thing from my priest was God knew that 2000 years later humans would interpret that pants are for men and women wear skirts ( such as in the bathroom signs) and that's how it's supposed to be. I don't think I explained myself very well but I've only had 4 hours sleep.

No, just no, to the whole trousers for men, and skirts for women thing. That's a cultural thing. Now, deity-of-your-choice forbid my boyfriend ever reads this, but a kilt isn't all that different from a skirt. Said boyfriend loves his kilt with a passion, especially when Scotland is playing, or when we're hiking (not in the summer, you don't want to be caught with too much exposed skin in summer in the Highlands). Funnily enough, bathroom signs have never confused him. Neither has a divine bolt of lightning struck him.

Maybe god just forgot to send the memo to Scotland...

I just watched Anna on the toilet. I'd never seen it before. Was there a midwife in attendance? Why not a birthing chair or stool rather than a crapper? These people are worse than a train wreck. And yet no one in that family EVER experiences cognitive dissonance.

No, just no, to the whole trousers for men, and skirts for women thing. That's a cultural thing. Now, deity-of-your-choice forbid my boyfriend ever reads this, but a kilt isn't all that different from a skirt. Said boyfriend loves his kilt with a passion, especially when Scotland is playing, or when we're hiking (not in the summer, you don't want to be caught with too much exposed skin in summer in the Highlands). Funnily enough, bathroom signs have never confused him. Neither has a divine bolt of lightning struck him.

Maybe god just forgot to send the memo to Scotland...

Men in kilts rock.

I just watched Anna on the toilet. I'd never seen it before. Was there a midwife in attendance? Why not a birthing chair or stool rather than a crapper? These people are worse than a train wreck. And yet no one in that family EVER experiences cognitive dissonance.

Those words are both too long for the Duggars.

Nope. Not even Smuggar in his Hummer, driving over the local hospitals lawn, honking to deposit her where she could be helped. It was more important that he nap.

Archived