IGNORED

The Duggars and Modesty

Sister Mary Savage

I've been wondering for a while about the Duggars "modesty". Why is it that wearing skirts down to the ankle is modest but filming your dead father is totally acceptable? Also, some of the Duggars just seem like total snobs (yes Anna, I'm looking at you) yet preach modesty day in and out. It seems to me like the family has picked out parts of the bible to follow and make up the rest of their religion as they go along. They follow Gothard and take his advice dispite the fact that his teachings on the bible are totally out of context. Their entire brand is just full of contradictions.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think most fundies when speaking of modesty every think of modesty of spirit or actions (Miss Raquel I'm looking at you!), they just think about what body parts are covered up. It if very clear that the Duggars are as far from modest as you can get when it comes to their attitude and actions.

I guess death is not defrauding. I think applying to much thought, reasoning, logic and rational thinking to the Duggar's belief system is futile. You probably put more thought into their beliefs in the time it took you to post that than they have in their entire lives.

Thank you Boogalou! Yeah, I think that fundies and thinking are just two things that do not mesh together at all. It is really sucky that the Duggar kids are never taught that modest goes beyond outside dress. They didn't choose their religion, it was forced upon them. It would be one thing if the kids researched, studied, and decided for themselves what spiritual beliefs they wanted to follow but it is sad that their parents allow them no freedom to think for themselves. I would much rather follow a belief because I chose to do so, not because I was forced into it.

And Anna giving birth on the toilet =/= modest.

As I've refused to actually watch the show for the last 2 years but see this quoted repeatedly, I have to ask:

They actually filmed her and aired her BIRTHING HER CHILD ON A TOILET??

Yup, good ole' Anna was on the toilet birthing away while being filmed. If I remember right, they did blur out things but she was on the toilet nevertheless. She had been traveling by bus with the rest of the family before the due date and actually talked about delievering on the bus if they didn't make it home in time.

I often winI only saw Jackson's birth, and since then, I refuse to watch anymore birthing specials. I wonder whats so "modest" about seeing a doctor reaching up Michelle's baby hole and grabbing the baby by the ankles. Its an image I have yet to erase from my memory. And they didnt blur anything then.

I think Michelle is the worst offender in the modesty area. Let's see, we know about her inverted nipples, the consistency of her breastmilk, what the inside of her uterus looks like, the exact date that one of her children was conceived on, and how long she waits after giving birth to have sex again.

Oh, but thank goodness we never had to see her knees.

Yup, good ole' Anna was on the toilet birthing away while being filmed. If I remember right, they did blur out things but she was on the toilet nevertheless. She had been traveling by bus with the rest of the family before the due date and actually talked about delievering on the bus if they didn't make it home in time.

No to mention she went to the bathroom to "go potty" right before she pooped him out.

The Duggars feel that modesty is only related to sex. Since you dont fuck a dead body or someone giving birth modest dress/actions dont apply.

I don"t understand how the ardent Duggar Defenders can't recognize the burning hypocrisies. The mental gymnastics they have to perform to justify their love must be exhausting.

I often winI only saw Jackson's birth, and since then, I refuse to watch anymore birthing specials. I wonder whats so "modest" about seeing a doctor reaching up Michelle's baby hole and grabbing the baby by the ankles. Its an image I have yet to erase from my memory. And they didnt blur anything then.

What? Are you serious, they filmed up... there? Right up into Michelle's coochie? Not like on Baby Story where they film from the side, so you know what's happening but aren't traumatized?

What? Are you serious, they filmed up... there? Right up into Michelle's coochie? Not like on Baby Story where they film from the side, so you know what's happening but aren't traumatized?

The first time they aired it, little or nothing was blurred. And it was very clear Jackson was a boy.

But don't look at Michelle's knees, please.

But if mens cant be gynocologists, and if Michelle's knees might defraud somebody... what makes them think seeing her give birth isnt gonna give some man bad ideas? I mean, if the slightest bit of bare skin is going to give a man sexual thoughts, then wont seeing her vagina really get them revved up? Obviously JIM BOB still wants it, so why not anybody else?

An yes they did show that. AAnd I noticed my major typos just now and I meant to say THE ONLY ONE I saw was Jacksons birth lol I remember flagging it on youtube because I didnt wanna see Michelles lady bits.

I never understood the whole skirts are for women and pants are for men thing... When essentially Jesus and his apostles wore what is essentially nowadays a dress! Not to mention the fact that he and most of his apostles are pictured with LONG hair, which again is a no-no for the menfolk according to duggar-rule...

Essential if 1st century Jesus were to be walking down the road, the Duggars would scream NIKE and avert their eyes, simply because he doesn't fit in with their modest sensibilities of what a man SHOULD dress and look like.

No, not the coochie. Jacko is a C section baby and they showed her having a jack the ripper job on tv.

I never understood the whole skirts are for women and pants are for men thing... When essentially Jesus and his apostles wore what is essentially nowadays a dress! Not to mention the fact that he and most of his apostles are pictured with LONG hair, which again is a no-no for the menfolk according to duggar-rule...

Essential if 1st century Jesus were to be walking down the road, the Duggars would scream NIKE and avert their eyes, simply because he doesn't fit in with their modest sensibilities of what a man SHOULD dress and look like.

Nuh-uh!! Haven't you ever heard the PP's sermon about how Jesus had short hair and wore pants???? I later heard him make fun of a woman who told him that in Jesus' time, pants hadn't been invented yet, and he scoffed at the idea that pants had to be invented.

Ha. PP's a moron. He isn't the only one I've heard that from, either. Jesus wore pants. so there.

Of course, I agree - Jesus didn't wear pants and those folks are idiots.

Un-freaking-believable. :?

But I don't know why anything about the Duggars surprises me any more.

I'm going to have to watch some of those old seasons on youtube sometime for the sheer fundy craziness. But I'll consider myself warned about that particular episode.

I think Michelle is the worst offender in the modesty area. Let's see, we know about her inverted nipples, the consistency of her breastmilk, what the inside of her uterus looks like, the exact date that one of her children was conceived on, and how long she waits after giving birth to have sex again.

Oh, but thank goodness we never had to see her knees.

This. I found it funny that Michelle was ok with the crew filming her putting Jordyn under her shirt to breasfeed, but later on she requested that her knees be covered.

No, not the coochie. Jacko is a C section baby and they showed her having a jack the ripper job on tv.

Oh, I see. That is slightly less traumatizing, still don't think it's something I want to watch though!

Nuh-uh!! Haven't you ever heard the PP's sermon about how Jesus had short hair and wore pants???? I later heard him make fun of a woman who told him that in Jesus' time, pants hadn't been invented yet, and he scoffed at the idea that pants had to be invented.

Ha. PP's a moron. He isn't the only one I've heard that from, either. Jesus wore pants. so there.

Of course, I agree - Jesus didn't wear pants and those folks are idiots.

If not incredibly sad it would be hilarious that people believe that.

I don't know what the deal is with the no pants for girls - isn't even a long skirt revealing more flesh than a pair of pants? I guess their problem is that pants show the outline of the crotch (egads!! he horror!).

IMHO, all of this hyper-focusing on covering/hiding so much makes parts that aren't normally thought of as sexy seem sexy, KWIM? It's like back when women's ankles were rarely seen it was sexy when they were revealed whereas nowadays ankles are rarely considered sexy. So by having the girls wear skirts it's actually bringing focus to what's hidden under them and makes the normal shape of the legs/bottom seem sexier.

I don't know what the deal is with the no pants for girls - isn't even a long skirt revealing more flesh than a pair of pants? I guess their problem is that pants show the outline of the crotch (egads!! he horror!).

IMHO, all of this hyper-focusing on covering/hiding so much makes parts that aren't normally thought of as sexy seem sexy, KWIM? It's like back when women's ankles were rarely seen it was sexy when they were revealed whereas nowadays ankles are rarely considered sexy. So by having the girls wear skirts it's actually bringing focus to what's hidden under them and makes the normal shape of the legs/bottom seem sexier.

They must hide and cover their women because they man cannot get a hold of themselves and most are horny beasts like Jimbo. I would probably wear a wholesome tinwear like knights in the medieval ages.

Archived