IGNORED

Lifeway stops selling pink bibles over Komen/PP

Alecto

The Southern Baptist Convention's publishing division is recalling pink Bibles it sold to support breast cancer research, after it says some money went to Planned Parenthood.

Lifeway Christian Resources no longer markets the pink-bound version of The Holman Christian Standard Bible and is recalling copies it sold, according to The Tennessean.

A portion of the purchase price went to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

The Komen foundation issued a statement in which it said all proceeds from the Bible sales were going to breast cancer screenings and expressed disappointment in Lifeway's decision.

Lifeway's move came after complaints that some local Komen affiliates were helping fund cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood, which also provides abortions.

The pink Bibles had been in stores since October.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/15/so ... z1gdJjzlpS

Now, I think Komen is a pile of crap charity, but I suppose preventing the chance someone might come in contact with someone who might happen to be affiliated with someone who performs abortion is more important than breast cancer screening and treatment.

They're actually recalling them?! What, are they going to demand Komen/PP give back the money they have to refund to the customers, too? Why can't they just acknowledge that PP does a helluva lot more than just provide abortions and the cancer screenings save lives?

I'm a survivor X2 who doesn't like Komen, and it has nothing to do with PP or pink Bibles. But good luck recalling the pink Bibles. :geek:

I'm a survivor X2 who doesn't like Komen, and it has nothing to do with PP or pink Bibles. But good luck recalling the pink Bibles. :geek:

Would you mind elaborating on why you don't like Komen?

Would you mind elaborating on why you don't like Komen?

I can tell you why I don't like them. They are the masters of corporatizing "charity". They have a huge administrative overhead, and they allow corporations to profit from women's misery by slapping that stupid pink ribbon on everything from yogurt to hemorrhoid cream. It's rendered the whole campaign meaningless.

I can tell you why I don't like them. They are the masters of corporatizing "charity". They have a huge administrative overhead, and they allow corporations to profit from women's misery by slapping that stupid pink ribbon on everything from yogurt to hemorrhoid cream. It's rendered the whole campaign meaningless.

That is one important reason.

2nd: I signed up to do the 3 day walk. As a survivor I really wanted to do it. I was $300 short, they refused to let me walk. Never mind that other walkers in my city raised thousands more than they needed (by getting corporate sponsorships), Komen would not allocate some of that extra money to those of us who couldn't raise the full amount. I raised $1200, which I thought was great. I was asked why my employer couldn't kick in a matching amount. I work for a public school system, they don't provide any matching funds to anyone. So, I couldn't walk and I was very bummed.

3rd: Breast cancer treatment has made great strides. Komen likes to stress early detection but actually it's more related to what kind you get. If you get the genetic form or the estrogen negative form early detection doesn't make a big difference. They also don't publicize the fact that men get breast cancer, and have a higher mortality than women. I would rather support lung cancer research at this point. More women die of lung cancer than die of breast cancer. And after that, I'd rather support heart disease research since heart disease kills more women than any cancer.

Thanks for the clarification. I had reservations about the whole commercialization thing, but I was curious if there was more.

That is stupid they wouldn't let you walk. Did they still take the $1200 you raised?

Thanks for the clarification. I had reservations about the whole commercialization thing, but I was curious if there was more.

That is stupid they wouldn't let you walk. Did they still take the $1200 you raised?

Of course they took the money.

I hear ya...

It also bugs me that they've trademarked "for the cure" and they have their attorneys zealously suing anyone that puts the 3 words "for the cure" on their charity endeavours...I understand protecting yr brand, but come on!

People like this are why our Republican party has become so ridiculous over the past few decades. For some people, the only thing they care about is abortion, and the taint of abortion is like cooties because it contaminates anything that it touches even remotely. And Republicans know that there are enough of these single-issue voters out there that they can do whatever the fuck they want and people will still vote for them as long as they say they want to make abortion illegal.

People like this are why our Republican party has become so ridiculous over the past few decades. For some people, the only thing they care about is abortion, and the taint of abortion is like cooties because it contaminates anything that it touches even remotely. And Republicans know that there are enough of these single-issue voters out there that they can do whatever the fuck they want and people will still vote for them as long as they say they want to make abortion illegal.

It's crazy how the GOP changed over the years! Even during the Reagan years, when they got much more conservative, liberal-Republicans still had a seat at the table. The Tea Party movement is the bullet that killed liberal and moderate Republicans; now woe to anyone telling a die-hard Republican that they are pro-choice on abortion but believe in the same things re: foreign policy and economics than them. They'll be told that they're RINO and should join the Democrats. Remember the 2000 GOP Convention when some delegates turned their backs at Colin Powell when he was giving his speech because of his pro-choice beliefs??

A lot of Republican political figures of the past would be aghast at the 2012 GOP: Eishenhower must roll over in his grave and even Barry Goldwater must do so as well!! He was very conservative but he hated the "Moral Majority" and the Religious Right (he wrote them an angry missive a few months before his death).

I've never liked Komen. They have more money than the research they can fund and I've heard many stories similar to NN. One of them included sending someone to collections over a $18 check that bounced as part of her pledge. Ridiculous.

Guest Anonymous

It's crazy how the GOP changed over the years! Even during the Reagan years, when they got much more conservative, liberal-Republicans still had a seat at the table. The Tea Party movement is the bullet that killed liberal and moderate Republicans; now woe to anyone telling a die-hard Republican that they are pro-choice on abortion but believe in the same things re: foreign policy and economics than them. They'll be told that they're RINO and should join the Democrats. Remember the 2000 GOP Convention when some delegates turned their backs at Colin Powell when he was giving his speech because of his pro-choice beliefs??

A lot of Republican political figures of the past would be aghast at the 2012 GOP: Eishenhower must roll over in his grave and even Barry Goldwater must do so as well!! He was very conservative but he hated the "Moral Majority" and the Religious Right (he wrote them an angry missive a few months before his death).

It's sad, because I'm old enough to remember Millicent Fenwick, whom Gary Trudeau modeled his "Lacy Davenport" character after in Doonesbury. Mrs. Fenwick was a liberal Republican Congresswoman from New Jersey in the early 1970s. Mr. Trudeau would have no luck finding her like now.

Komen has also taken funding and put their logo on products that have been linked to breast cancer... such as water bottles with BPA. They take a lot of corporate money, and don't really care if the money they're taking was made by selling things either known to or thought to cause breast cancer, and don't really publicize any of those possible risk factors.

De-lurking; I had to join for this topic. The pink campaign has always made me squirm, and when my mother got ovarian cancer any pink ribbon made me furious and refuse to buy the product. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Though I'm not surprised, often when I'm reading here, I'm :clap: and nodding, should have joined earlier!

Welcome, Ztwist. You have found your people!

A lot of things about the pink ribbon campaign make me uneasy and I'm prudish enough to dislike the whole "boobies" and "ta-ta" stuff anyway.

But a Bible recall? :cry:

And did ya'll see Newt Gingrinch signed some kind of pledge to be faithful to his 3rd wife, and in the document, promised to de-fund Planned Parenthood?

What's the matter with these people?

THIS....and it pisses me off.

I've never liked Komen. They have more money than the research they can fund and I've heard many stories similar to NN. One of them included sending someone to collections over a $18 check that bounced as part of her pledge. Ridiculous.

I'm curious as to why this is. Is there some sort of regulation, legal or otherwise that prevents them giving more money for research. I would think that there would be more than enough PIs in academia willing to write grants and take that money off their hands.

Everything I've heard about Komen is awful ... not the least being the huge investments in products that are actually cancer causing. I was at some conference where the key note speaker went off on some long rant about the pink ribbon campaign and how unethical they were.. I don't remember the particulars, but it was very interesting.

Recalling Bibles ??? That is just ...wow.. what on earth do they hope to accomplish with this ??

Archived