IGNORED

The Rehm Family Website ?

Turning-A-New-Leaf

Wait, since the event???

I was wondering about that. I posted it on his thread too (don't want to go too off-topic here).

Link to that thread/post? I can confirm this. She's from another large family in the same church.

No link to a thread/post since it came from eyewitnesses.

But I do have a link to the new No Greater Joy Magazine where Andrew Wissmann and Micah Nelson (son of MAC pastor) are photographed on page 19 (last two guys on the right). Michael Pearl features Joshua Steele regularly. I think Caleb Beasley went another year so he's not in this photograph (Abby Grady's husband).

So many interconnections....

http://nogreaterjoy.org/wordpress/f/201203_May-June.pdf

No link to a thread/post since it came from eyewitnesses.

But I do have a link to the new No Greater Joy Magazine where Andrew Wissmann and Micah Nelson (son of MAC pastor) are photographed on page 19 (last two guys on the right). Michael Pearl features Joshua Steele regularly. I think Caleb Beasley went another year so he's not in this photograph (Abby Grady's husband).

So many interconnections....

http://nogreaterjoy.org/wordpress/f/201203_May-June.pdf

Correct. They did go to Ukraine with a "ministry" connected to Michael Pearl and Joshua Steele. Caleb went in 2006 so it's been a little while.

Someone messaged me and wondered if things have liberalized in this Omaha community over the years. I guess it depends on how you define liberalized. Yes, some of the girls are now wearing more fashionable clothes and makeup and having more types of unsupervised activity with boys. But the religiosity and pride that goes with it seem the same to me.

One test will be to see how the community and individuals react to one of their own who publicly announced a few days ago that he likes men and is in a relationship with a man. It will probably be tough for them to see the lover's facebook pictures and to read some of the comments on the photos (from gay men friends) since some comments are explicit.

Last month, the Rehm Family facebook page published this:

Please sign this petition against Starbucks taking a stand against marriage being the union of ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN!!!! I would also challenge you to commit to not buy ANY COFFEE from Starbucks until Starbucks chooses to change the position they are taking on this most pertinent issue! I know people...I'm a coffee lover too, and Starbucks coffee is REALLY good, but marriage being defined as the way God created it to be is WAY MORE IMPORTANT! There's also a phone number on this website where you can make your voice heard! Let's take a stand while we still can!!!! ~Bekah

http://www.dumpstarbucks.com/

Someone messaged me and wondered if things have liberalized in this Omaha community over the years. I guess it depends on how you define liberalized. Yes, some of the girls are now wearing more fashionable clothes and makeup and having more types of unsupervised activity with boys. But the religiosity and pride that goes with it seem the same to me.

One test will be to see how the community and individuals react to one of their own who publicly announced a few days ago that he likes men and is in a relationship with a man. It will probably be tough for them to see the lover's facebook pictures and to read some of the comments on the photos (from gay men friends) since some comments are explicit.

I did see that, but the other thing you mentioned is news to me. I hope and pray that they will respond lovingly and not turn on that person and spew hate and garbage.

I recently talked with someone else who felt like things had become a lot more "normal" there so that they were more comfortable with it. But that said, it still felt to me it was just the externals changing, not what was really at the core.

And just because of that I am going to go to Starbucks tomorrow.

Thanks NKA. Hopefully his community offers him love and support, but I won't be holding my breath.

They are very much ATI fundies, and to be honest, the Millard Alliance Church has a lot in common with IFB. The only reason the church did not leave the denomination and go independent was because the C&MA could have taken the building and everything in it.

Millard Alliance Church started as a plant of Christ Community Church, one of the largest churches in Omaha. But as a C&MA church, it has always been deeply involved in the Keswick/Higher Life theology, which teaches two-stage sanctification. For Millard Alliance, the teachings of Bill Gothard in particular were promoted as the means to get to that second stage and "break through" to higher life. The church was often the host site for any IBLP events in the Omaha area; basic and advanced seminars, financial freedom, etc. Groups from MAC also attended ATI events in other states; Knoxville each year, Sound Foundations a couple times, I think EXCEL or EQUIP too. Quite a few of the boys in the church went through the ALERT program. The Miller family (known through the Gradys' blog) had once been influential in ALERT.

Snipped for length, but I did want to thank formerlegalist for this very interesting and informative post!

• 2 years later...

Wow. As a teenager my parents attended MAC. About '95-'99. It's so nice to find other people who got away from that!!

• 2 years later...

Archived