IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 12: They Should Set Up Fundie Mingle

Coconut Flan

The thing that will be difficult to manage is that he will be dad to the youngest kids. Because if they stay married for the next 20 years, the youngest kids will remember him as the father figure in their lives. While the older kids will not feel that way at all. It’s like the older kids and younger kids will have completely different experiences being raised by a different man. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would just love to know what his kids think of Kendra. 

Not to mention his ex-wife who may well share custody with the Mr. Kendra-to-be.

Maybe the RCC can erase the marriage but I doubt that family court will erase parental bonds & obligations.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

Not to mention his ex-wife who may well share custody with the Mr. Kendra-to-be.

Maybe the RCC can erase the marriage but I doubt that family court will erase parental bonds & obligations.

His kids are all grown. His youngest two are in college like Kendra’s oldest 3. The kids went to the same high school. So I assume they knew each other in school. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Kendra's FB post about the engagement says his children are 19-25, so custody is not a problem,  But I suspect that his children see Kendra and children replacing the wife he divorced and annulled as well as the 4 of them.

Her fangirls comments to the FB post were all swooning over the engagement and how fun "blended" families are.  One comment realistically noted that all the people she knows who are from blended families would never describe it as "fun".

Kendra says mutual friends set them up a while ago.  

I still think this is really quick as they seem to have gotten engaged a few months ago, but went FB public a week ago.

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Kendra's FB post about the engagement says his children are 19-25, so custody is not a problem,  But I suspect that his children see Kendra and children replacing the wife he divorced and annulled as well as the 4 of them.

Her fangirls comments to the FB post were all swooning over the engagement and how fun "blended" families are.  One comment realistically noted that all the people she knows who are from blended families would never describe it as "fun".

Kendra says mutual friends set them up a while ago.  

I still think this is really quick as they seem to have gotten engaged a few months ago, but went FB public a week ago.

She said they were set up at a Halloween party. I’m guessing Oct 2023 because no one would set her up in October 2022. Her husband had literally just died. But then she said he didn’t even call her for three months after. So they didn’t start seeing eachother until the end of January? Yes, that’s fast. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She said they were set up at a Halloween party. I’m guessing Oct 2023 because no one would set her up in October 2022. Her husband had literally just died. But then she said he didn’t even call her for three months after. So they didn’t start seeing eachother until the end of January? Yes, that’s fast. 

I'm shocked she celebrates Halloween. I was good friends with a strict RCC kid in our neighborhood and I always gave him a bunch of my Halloween candy because he wasn't allowed to trick-or-treat.

4 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I'm shocked she celebrates Halloween.

Same - after all, you know she wouldn't be attending the alternate celebration on October 31, Reformation Day.

• Haha 2

I don't think she has ever done Halloween, as in decorating and parties. On her blog she discusses saint costumes for All Saints Day that can do double duty for Halloween. There are photos.

There is a 2013 blog post that says for Halloween they carved pumpkins and went T or T in the neighborhood. Then she discusses her family's All Saints and All Souls traditions:  off to Mass with her kids in Saints costumes for All Saints. On All Souls they bake soul cakes and say a family Rosary at a Catholic Cemetery.  

I hope that Kendra's fiance reads/ has read her blog.  It's a very revealing look at who Kendra is,  how/what she thinks and believes, and how she has raised her children to believe (know) the Tierneys are better people/ better Catholics than everyone else. She calls it the family culture.  And, like many other fundies, because there are 10 children they are a unit unto themselves, friends with their siblings. There is also BroDad-ing and SisMom-ing.

Full disclosure:  I am a cradle Catholic. We were observant but didn't grow up uber strict uber trad as the Tierneys are.  Halloween was a fun dress-up holiday with decor and parties and candy.  As we lived in a small town, kids roamed in packs Trick or Treating.  We were the only Catholic family in town for years. There was no Catholic cemetery anywhere, just regular cemeteries and family burying grounds on people's farms. One priest served the 3 infinitesimal parishes in the 5 county area.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I'm shocked she celebrates Halloween. I was good friends with a strict RCC kid in our neighborhood and I always gave him a bunch of my Halloween candy because he wasn't allowed to trick-or-treat.

I went to Catholic schools, grew up in a heavily Catholic neighborhood, etc, and we celebrated Halloween with no reservations whatsoever. Being anti-Halloween was strictly an evangelical phenomenon. Of course now a lot of these holier-than-the-pope types will adopt any evangelical trait in an effort to appear more conservative.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Much of Kendra's uber strict uber trad Catholicism is exactly the same as the fundies we follow.

Kendra definitely believes she holier than the pope. Her hubris about this knows no bounds.

She absolutely adored Pope Benedict (Best. Pope. Evah.).

She seriously dislikes Pope Francis.  As I mentioned above, several years ago she wrote Pope Francis (and encouraged her readers to do the same,) because she said he was doing something/ said something wrong.

She wanted him to know it was wrong and to stop it. Because she disagreed with him. She posted the letter in her blog for her readers to use as a template.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Much of Kendra's uber strict uber trad Catholicism is exactly the same as the fundies we follow.

Kendra definitely believes she holier than the pope. Her hubris about this knows no bounds.

She seriously dislikes Pope Francis.  As I mentioned above, several years ago she wrote Pope Francis (and encouraged her readers to do the same,) because she said he was doing something/ said something wrong.

She wanted him to know it was wrong and to stop it. Because she disagreed with him. She posted the letter in her blog for her readers to use as a template.

Just imagine being Catholic and thinking you are a better Catholic than the pope. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

I don't think Catholics have a problem with Halloween usually, it's a very catholic sort of festivity, all about memento mori, especially when combined with all saints and all souls. Also I live in Ireland where Halloween is massive.

I didn't think Kendra went to Latin mass, does she? She's not Society of St Pius X or St Pius V or FSSP or any of those, is she? She is Opus Dei and I think the school si Opus Dei also.

A homeschooling, mommy blogger with 11 children who converted from evangelicalism to one of the above latin mass only, skirts only, mothers stay trad catholic groups (I forget which one) is Celeste of Joyouslessons.

I find the trading of one strict religion for another very interesting and also the sudden descent in to very strict catholicism from a "normal" catholic background

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

You may know this but one of her sons even received his first Communion from Pope Benedict. I was like, damn, she just has everything, doesn't she? P.S. I'm a cradle Catholic too.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, none of my Catholic friends ever expressed disliking Halloween. It was always my southern Baptist friends that had issues with it. Meanwhile, I’m over here like what costume should I put on? Should I be pajama girl again this year? and I can’t wait for November 1 for discounted candy!

Edited by sleepygirl1
Grammar
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Several of Kendra's children received First Communion from the Pope. I don't remember which kids and I think it was Pope Benedict for all of them.

She likes to humble brag when this happens.  Along the lines of anyone can request this so you other Catholics can too.

However, she completely ignores the travel/ lodging costs and the red tape it takes to make it happen. 

She was raised regular Catholic by 2  parents who both worked and only had 2 children. She's written several times that her parents didn't raise her the right Catholic way, i.e., her 'uber strict uber trad Latin Mass Opus Dei observe every saint day' life. 

One of the reasons for her Catholic All Year blog and business is to push this on all of us Catholics who are doing it so so so wrong.

Because she's doing it so so so right as she knows better than we (and the Pope) do.

Can you tell she chaps my cradle Catholic lips?  😇 🤭

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Several of Kendra's children received First Communion from the Pope. I don't remember which kids and I think it was Pope Benedict for all of them.

She likes to humble brag when this happens.  Along the lines of anyone can request this so you other Catholics can too.

However, she completely ignores the travel/ lodging costs and the red tape it takes to make it happen. 

She was raised regular Catholic by 2  parents who both worked and only had 2 children. She's written several times that her parents didn't raise her the right Catholic way, i.e., her 'uber strict uber trad Latin Mass Opus Dei observe every saint day' life. 

One of the reasons for her Catholic All Year blog and business is to push this on all of us Catholics who are doing it so so so wrong.

Because she's doing it so so so right as she knows better than we (and the Pope) do.

Can you tell she chaps my cradle Catholic lips?  😇 🤭

Which sounds almost exactly like most Christian fundies we talk about on FJ. The Duggars and the Bateses didn’t grow up fundie and quiverful. But they decided to have 19 kids and get into IBLP

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I’m always fascinated when someone who was raised not religious & becomes extremely religious. I know 2 people who were raised not very religious Jewish & became very religious.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I’m always fascinated when someone who was raised not religious & becomes extremely religious. I know 2 people who were raised not very religious Jewish & became very religious.

I have family who have done this and it is so strange. Both were raised in mainline Protestant churches but have became conservative Catholics through marriage. The younger one is in an especially conservative church - they had a Latin Mass wedding where the only thing in English was a reading from Ephesians 5:22-33. The relative's new in-laws were also very upset about Pope Francis firing that asshole bishop in TX. Lots of eye-rolling from the rest of the family but we love our relative dearly and hope that it all works out.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

We had one of those hip cool nondenominational churches with a dance ministry in my hometown when I was in high school. Very popular youth ministry with a very hip sounding name.

Every single person that I know who attended that is either A)still very religious and went somewhere like Liberty, or B)not religious whatsoever.

I also was friends with a guy growing up who landed somewhere in the middle. He’s a DJ now who’s super into anime and cosplay and has a shitload of tattoos but also was retweeting Benny Johnson the last time I went on Twitter.

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Katey Duggar's Dad didn't become very religious and involved with IBLP till Katey was in a public middle school. Whitney Bates was raised secular, went to public school, etc. and is now religious because of marrying into the Bates.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, dawn9476 said:

Katey Duggar's Dad didn't become very religious and involved with IBLP till Katey was in a public middle school. Whitney Bates was raised secular, went to public school, etc. and is now religious because of marrying into the Bates.

Was Michelle raised that religious? I know she went to public school unlike JB who went to Christian school, but did she go to church regularly?

I don't think I'm making this up, but I vaguely remember Meech was a cheerleader in public HS

Two things that she and Jim Boob would never allow for their daughters.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

No, Michelle didn’t grow up super religious. She was probably run of the mill Christian when she was growing up. And then JB sucked her into the super religious life when she was a teen. Even though they were super religious when they got married, they weren’t IBLP religious until after they had their miscarriage, blamed BC, and became quiverful. They had already attended a Gothard seminar at that point and they went back to Gothard when they decided to homeschool when Josh was 5.

• Upvote 5

On 5/22/2024 at 4:36 PM, medimus said:

A homeschooling, mommy blogger with 11 children who converted from evangelicalism to one of the above latin mass only, skirts only, mothers stay trad catholic groups (I forget which one) is Celeste of Joyouslessons.

I read 'joyous lessons' as 'joylessness' first.

20 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I was raised atheist and became very religious in my teens. I was a deep thinking philosophical kid with big emotions, cracking under the pressure of adolescence in an extremely academic environment; Christianity offered me something to help answer the 'why' of it all (although even then, I always believed in the scientific account of the 'how'). I am also - although I didn't understand or have the label for it then - asexual, and the whole notion of no-sex-before-marriage was oddly reassuring to me, like a 'safe' way to date and fall in love with church boys who weren't supposed to want to touch me sexually (spoiler alert: they still did). While I was at university I worked for a Christian organisation and led the youth group at my church, then I got married and moved to a country town where I knew nobody, and the church community was my first 'in' into the community. I was a stay-at-home mother who spent my days going to church playgroup or hosting bible study with other stay-at-home mothers. Regardless of what's happening inside or what your private prayer life is like, when your social group is all religious it helps keep you religious. It's only in the past few years, with my kids all at school, my divorce finalised, working in secular arts organisations, plus time on more forums like this, that I've become a much more liberal Christian who doesn't let it dictate my entire life. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

Marjorie Jackson is dating a guy named Phillip Todd.

• Thank You 4