IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 2: Still Grifting

Coconut Flan
hoipolloi
Message added by hoipolloi,

REMINDER:

Please be sure that when you quote from someone's social media accounts or provide screenshots that their account is a public account, and not private.

Please review FJ's rule on the use of private information. Paraphrasing is allowed if you happen to be a FB friend or IG follower. 

21 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I know Art has posted about pain and physical limitations; are they able to pick up food or are they completely housebound? Are there options in Seattle for individuals who need PT and OT but can’t pay? 

They are not completely housebound.  They can get around.  I am not sure how mobile Art claims to be but they can get around.  Their partner has a motorized wheelchair that they fundraised for a while back.  I don't know how they get around the city but I think a lot of it is via uber or if someone give them a ride.  Honestly though it seems like the pair spend 99% of their time in their studio.  And do it laying in bed or sitting.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, keepercjr said:

it seems like the pair spend 99% of their time in their studio.  And do it laying in bed or sitting.

There are so many free things to enjoy in life, but many of them involve some degree of effort. Or, work. And as we know, they have a problem for every solution.  I'm still baffled by the idea of asking strangers to pay your internet when it's not essential for day-to-day. Is library internet not good enough for them? Why not? And since they make it a priority to ensure they always have high-speed internet, why not do some work-from-home gigs? Unwinding that first level of entitlement is where I'm stuck. The food thing also makes no sense to me, but at least food you NEED to live. Maybe not the kind of food experiences they are seeking out to maintain the style to which they've become accustomed, but food in general, yes. Internet... no.

• Upvote 10

On 2/6/2024 at 12:38 PM, Expectopatronus said:

I know Art has posted about pain and physical limitations; are they able to pick up food or are they completely housebound? Are there options in Seattle for individuals who need PT and OT but can’t pay? 

I do not know if there are options for low/no cost PT/OT in Seattle (or anywhere, really).  I do think Art has reached the point of depression where I believe the best thing for them to do, both mentally and physically, is get outside and move.  They posted a blog about how they struggle with standing for long periods of time, and "chronic pain" and how they have fatigue.  I don't know the ins-and-outs of their body, but a 31 year old with no history of actual injuries beyond "holding my siblings as a teen" should be able to stand long enough to do the dishes, And even if they can't, they can still use their roller walker/chair thing that I don't know the word for to get to the bus, then sit to wait for the bus.  There's no stigma in using the public transportation system in Seattle, but they choose to beg for money to uber so they can avoid hills and get door-to-door service.

It's something I saw with my disabled father, time and time again.  Doctors sent him home with instructions to follow a specific exercise routine (easy stuff - like walk 10 minutes three times a day, do some stretches).  He wouldn't do it because "it hurt" or "I'm too tired."  Of course you are tired.  Anyone who has ever spent a few days in bed is familiar with the horrible feeling of how tired you are from doing nothing.  As some famous physicist once said: "An object in motion remains in motion" and it's true for people too.  The more active people are, the more energy they have to stay active.  I have very little patience for people who don't do the bare minimum to help themselves (baring actual physical or developmental disability or injury). 

There is nothing preventing Art from applying for WFH jobs, or finding a part time position in Seattle. They want fun experiences? Go work at a convention center or arena. It's part time work and you get to watch shows and sports for free. Need food and art supplies? Work at the art supply store for the discount. I work part time at an outdoor store - like 10 hours a month - so I can get a discount on all the stuff I like since no one is going to sponsor me. (I'm just not that good at outdoor stuff, and that's OK) 

But instead they just stay in bed and feel sorry for themselves.  After reading their last blog post about the rights of children, I think they really need therapy.  The beginning starts off ok, nothing groundbreaking or new information, but by the end it just sounds so weird.  Like, no, most people do not abuse their kids.  It's OK to call some's kids "their kids" and "they belong to X" is fine.  No one actually believes that they are possessions like a couch, but kids do have parent and guardians with the power to make decisions for their kids.  I also do not believe that most parents are abusive.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just a solution based person who is the polar opposite of Art.  I still have sympathy for all of the Jeub children, as Chris Jeub is a complete and total jerkwad.  And it's his fault that his oldest biological child is just like him, grifting and lazy and arrogant. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

It's also entirely possible, that as much as Art says their old relationship was controlling and horrible and life-ruining, that their current one is bad, or that there is some degree of codependency/enmeshment where one of them cannot do something without the other.  I don't think I've ever seen Art post about going for a beautiful walk outside, even for five minutes, looking at the sunset, smelling the fresh breeze.  Why? What if they're guilted into not leaving their partner alone for half an hour to go have some me time? I wouldn't be totally compos mentis either.

As for that whole self-indulgent rambling "children" post, I also grew up in a large family where I was expected to work hard and be an asset to the family.  Boo hoo.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

There is nothing preventing Art from applying for WFH jobs, or finding a part time position in Seattle. They want fun experiences? Go work at a convention center or arena. It's part time work and you get to watch shows and sports for free. Need food and art supplies? Work at the art supply store for the discount. I work part time at an outdoor store - like 10 hours a month - so I can get a discount on all the stuff I like since no one is going to sponsor me. (I'm just not that good at outdoor stuff, and that's OK) 

I love this advice. It hits to the heart of their entitlements. Want a pet, but can't afford one? Volunteer in a pet store, or at a rescue center. Offer to pet sit for friends that need help on occasion. Make money dog walking. Want to break through your writer's block? Join a writing/critique circle. Seattle is FULL of the "amwriting" crowd. It's really what you make of it, but one does have to break out of their comfort zone in order to experience these things. 

Committing to being bedridden with your cats, coloring books and fun snacky food sounds like being fake-sick as an adolescent so your mom will give you some attention. It's as real as the writer's block they complained about in their last blog (staaaahp... if you can't commit to writing regularly, just don't-- find a new hobby). 

I see people on the bus every day who can barely walk, compute basic facts, or have some kind of extremely disabling condition that they have to work around. The level of skill it takes to operate a blog and a personalized mailing list is so far beyond the beyond. And the cleverness exhibited to obtain "funds" from strangers on the internet belies their stated limitations. 

• Upvote 13

On 2/7/2024 at 9:59 PM, formerhsfundie said:

I love this advice. It hits to the heart of their entitlements. Want a pet, but can't afford one? Volunteer in a pet store, or at a rescue center. Offer to pet sit for friends that need help on occasion. Make money dog walking. Want to break through your writer's block? Join a writing/critique circle. Seattle is FULL of the "amwriting" crowd. It's really what you make of it, but one does have to break out of their comfort zone in order to experience these things. 

Committing to being bedridden with your cats, coloring books and fun snacky food sounds like being fake-sick as an adolescent so your mom will give you some attention. It's as real as the writer's block they complained about in their last blog (staaaahp... if you can't commit to writing regularly, just don't-- find a new hobby). 

I see people on the bus every day who can barely walk, compute basic facts, or have some kind of extremely disabling condition that they have to work around. The level of skill it takes to operate a blog and a personalized mailing list is so far beyond the beyond. And the cleverness exhibited to obtain "funds" from strangers on the internet belies their stated limitations. 

Definitely. I used to work for a call center of the biggest arena here just booking tickets and it was so much fun, we made bets of who's show was going to be sold out and we also had discounts and sometimes free tickets to shows. I LOOOOOOVE going to concerts and I got tickets for Shakira, Black Eyed Peas and many other super cool artists. It was a dream job and to be part-time it paid well.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

On 2/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, formerhsfundie said:

You nailed it. They want to lay around, color, paint pictures of mediocre quality when they feel like it, and eat well. On their schedule. They claim they can't do a WFH job because they can't always meet deadlines. Really? Yet somehow meeting those deadlines for rent and bills seems important enough to pull out the electronic begging bowl. Their priorities are out of whack. The crux of it is they are big into the anti-work movement, and a bunch of these people got them into the mindset that working is contributing to capitalist greed and that the way to affect change is by refusing to work. The problem is that most of us aren't independently wealthy, need to keep a roof over our heads and know that we can't rely on others who go out and work for funding. It's not like we can all stop working to protest capitalism and stop it. I think the anti-work idea is something they fell in love with because it doesn't require them to step outside their comfort zone: they can continue their codependent relationship with Ryann without having to leave his side, don't have to deal with a supervisor telling them how it is, don't have to deal with an alarm clock and deadlines, etc. They seem to balk at public transportation, food banks and meal planning because according to them the poor deserve DoorDash, Uber rides and "quality" cheesecake. Problem with that is that most hard-working people in an urban area have to settle for public transportation, grocery shopping on a budget and making meals at home, and the occasional dinner out (like once a month at most). The entitlement is mind blowing. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On 2/7/2024 at 7:01 PM, Maggie Mae said:

After reading their last blog post about the rights of children, I think they really need therapy.  The beginning starts off ok, nothing groundbreaking or new information, but by the end it just sounds so weird.  Like, no, most people do not abuse their kids.  It's OK to call some's kids "their kids" and "they belong to X" is fine.  No one actually believes that they are possessions like a couch, but kids do have parent and guardians with the power to make decisions for their kids.  I also do not believe that most parents are abusive.

Just to add some informative clarity , the sentiments that they express here in their blog post , which admittedly I have not myself read , seems to reflect that of the children's liberation movement . https://www.hegemonmedia.com/p/the-mistake-of-the-childrens-liberation ( link goes to an essay critiquing the idea )  It appears to me that Artemis Stardust , or whatever they are calling themself now of days , might want all of the rights , but not all of the responsibilities of adulthood . 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:01 PM, Maggie Mae said:

After reading their last blog post about the rights of children, I think they really need therapy.  The beginning starts off ok, nothing groundbreaking or new information, but by the end it just sounds so weird.  Like, no, most people do not abuse their kids.  It's OK to call some's kids "their kids" and "they belong to X" is fine.  No one actually believes that they are possessions like a couch, but kids do have parent and guardians with the power to make decisions for their kids.  I also do not believe that most parents are abusive.

The more these blog posts come out on "general" topics, i.e., less about Artemis' childhood and more about life in general, the more I realize how cool memoir is. There is exactly ONE subject everyone is an expert in... themselves. Artemis lacks the general education/awareness to write about bigger topics than themselves. They should stick to their area of expertise. Growing up in an abusive family does not make one an expert on all abusive families. 

Not only that... they are ignoring what little they do know about writing and rhetoric. These essays are poorly organized, make vague or wrong statements about how things are, and overgeneralize to the point of inanity. The one where they had the audacity to quote authors they admitted they hadn't read the works they were quoting from. I mean.... why? Here is an actual quote from the blog

“There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.”

This phrase is commonly attributed to Hemingway, but may have been said by Red Smith in an interview about column writing. I haven’t read the works of either of these men, but for years I lived by this mantra in my writing practice. All I had to do was turn on music, and let the emotions flow out onto the page.

One of the odd thing I've noticed with fundies is their commitment to semi-literacy. They use writing and reading as tools to justify their worldview (the bare minimum, at that), rather than find out more about what is really going on in the world scientifically, politically, and historically. I don't see Artemis breaking from that, and until they do, they will continue to be stuck in this failure loop.

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, formerhsfundie said:

The more these blog posts come out on "general" topics, i.e., less about Artemis' childhood and more about life in general, the more I realize how cool memoir is. There is exactly ONE subject everyone is an expert in... themselves. Artemis lacks the general education/awareness to write about bigger topics than themselves. They should stick to their area of expertise. Growing up in an abusive family does not make one an expert on all abusive families. 

Not only that... they are ignoring what little they do know about writing and rhetoric. These essays are poorly organized, make vague or wrong statements about how things are, and overgeneralize to the point of inanity. The one where they had the audacity to quote authors they admitted they hadn't read the works they were quoting from. I mean.... why? Here is an actual quote from the blog

One of the odd thing I've noticed with fundies is their commitment to semi-literacy. They use writing and reading as tools to justify their worldview (the bare minimum, at that), rather than find out more about what is really going on in the world scientifically, politically, and historically. I don't see Artemis breaking from that, and until they do, they will continue to be stuck in this failure loop.

If one were to be writing a report analyzing the intellectual works of a given figure , then yes I would agree that that one should have some extensive knowledge of their writings , and stated point of view .  As Mao Zedong once wrote , not that I have ever read all of the works that he wrote , such as the "Little Red Book" 😉 ,

Spoiler

image.png.0eaca85eb47ae8718f7a5b191de93cdb.png

However , if one is simply quoting someone , so as not to plagiarize , I do not think that one would necessarily need to have read the person's entire bibliography in order to cite some random quotation .  But I also don't feel that it's necessary to admit they aren't altogether familiar with the literary works of Ernest Hemingway , when they aren't even claiming to be an authority on the subject of Hemingway , in the first place .  None of that is even germane to the topic that they were themselves writing about .  Now , if they were to be commenting on a topic whose subject matter they do not have authoritative knowledge of , then they should reference the sources of information , that they are using to form the basis for their opinion .  And this also refers back to the above quote , under the spoiler .  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

It's odd that they hate capitalism, they ask for money earned through capitalisitic endeavors to buy items created through capitalism (like Doordash).

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

There's a new blog post up. I guess they, like a lot of people, struggle with perfectionism and trauma, and that make it hard to learn new things? Not really following the logic there but cool they are writing again on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's a new blog post up. I guess they, like a lot of people, struggle with perfectionism and trauma, and that make it hard to learn new things? Not really following the logic there but cool they are writing again on a regular basis. 

I think one of the things they might have to "unlearn" is not trusting any kind of authority. Pondering the depths of one's own brain has value, I guess. But the blog post has a distinct lack of acknowledgment of teachers in theory or in general. 

Homeschoolers expect to learn on their own. In this case, Artemis seems to have lost motivation to do this, but doesn't seem to acknowledge any other method. I think they would benefit from going to a real classroom model, where they listen to a teacher. 

The other thing I notice is that there is no mention of goals. On the blog they say "Learning takes a bit of stubbornness and a lot of dedication." Kinda. You also need to have a goal. Teachers have lesson plans, with targeted goals. They help guide students to that point, and nobody expects the student to either know the goal in advance, or know how to teach themselves there.  Maybe you should trust educators on this one, Artemis. Take a class. Let someone else teach you something. 

Edited by formerhsfundie
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Art seems like a textbook example of someone who deconstructs their beliefs but doesn't deconstruct their fundamentalism. This is pretty common with folks leaving high-control groups and I've tried to be more mindful of it in my own deconstruction process.  Their mental health and ability to engage critically with ideas seems to have only deteriorated in the last few years as they have isolated themselves from any kind of real community, outside of their romantic partners and Internet echo chambers.  As a former supporter for years, it's also a bummer that they continue to double down on dismissing anyone's attempts to offer sustainable help. 

I wish they had someone in their "real" life who could intervene and help them get on a better path. 

• Upvote 10

Today's ask on public social media (paraphrased):

>1.25 for laundry (they are short by that much)

>and either $10 or $18 for OTC medication. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 4

20 hours ago, formerhsfundie said:

Today's ask on public social media (paraphrased):

>1.25 for laundry (they are short by that much)

>and either $10 or $18 for OTC medication. 

Someone sent them some money so they can wash their clothes and get the med.  I can't imagine living so much on the edge that I can't afford to wash my clothes.  That just has to suck.  And there seems to be zero attempt to get themselves out of that situation.  It seems like this will be it.  They will live like this forever.  At least there aren't children caught up in this. Also, I want to know what Art's partner provides to the relationship (besides emotionally).  I recognize that not everyone has the ability to physically help (and often I am in that boat with my illness) but it seems like literally everything is resting on Art's shoulders.  Physically and otherwise.  If their partner insisted he could take care of a dog then what else could he do to help their daily lives.  I recognize that all we hear is one side but still...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

23 hours ago, keepercjr said:

They will live like this forever. 

I don't think they'll have internet supporters forever. Followers, maybe, but people get sick of getting asked for money all the time.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, MariaariaM said:

I don't think they'll have internet supporters forever. Followers, maybe, but people get sick of getting asked for money all the time.

This is what ultimately made me stop supporting the Patreon. It started to feel like I was perpetuating an unhealthy cycle of dependence/desperation. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Kolache said:

This is what ultimately made me stop supporting the Patreon. It started to feel like I was perpetuating an unhealthy cycle of dependence/desperation. 

I think you're right. They are now mostly into rage and anger political posting from what I can see of their social media. I still think it's a shame that they can't see the good in anything, especially after people rallied around them to prevent them from experiencing homelessness. They managed to survive with cats and selves intact, but only with the ongoing support of people with jobs. 

I doubt they see how their anger affects them currently. They rail against capitalism, but rely on people who earn expendable income to help them do their laundry. They demand luxuries like home internet and Doordash because according to them poor people deserve an equal lifestyle to rich people... is this some bastardized version of socialism? They serve up increasingly banal content on their writing channel and blame their dwindling audience for their lack of success. 

Fundie logic is always us vs. them in some form or fashion. 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, formerhsfundie said:

I think you're right. They are now mostly into rage and anger political posting from what I can see of their social media. I still think it's a shame that they can't see the good in anything, especially after people rallied around them to prevent them from experiencing homelessness. They managed to survive with cats and selves intact, but only with the ongoing support of people with jobs. 

I doubt they see how their anger affects them currently. They rail against capitalism, but rely on people who earn expendable income to help them do their laundry. They demand luxuries like home internet and Doordash because according to them poor people deserve an equal lifestyle to rich people... is this some bastardized version of socialism? They serve up increasingly banal content on their writing channel and blame their dwindling audience for their lack of success. 

Fundie logic is always us vs. them in some form or fashion. 

Yeah, this is the thing. Throwing in the (unlaundered) towel and using your platform to say "well, the system wants me to die so what's the point" and hoping that garners enough sympathy for today's laundry is unsustainable activism. 

As someone posted upthread, the kind of Tumblr style quirky "gotcha speak" and contemporary anti-work rhetoric is counterproductive to most progressive (and pro-union/fair labor) efforts.  I also think some of it can be counterproductive to healing for survivors of trauma and abuse. When you grow up in a high stress environment you already live like danger is around every corner (because your experience shows that's true). The last thing you need is more people telling that actually everything IS dangerous and out to get you. 

Fundamentalism sucks. Full stop. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Kolache said:

Same. I supported them for probably close to a year. I am on a low fixed income and I decided enough was enough, I didn't sense any growth or change.

• Upvote 2

Their latest attempt at humor and explaining their perspective on the rest of us who are suckers for wanting to keep a roof over our heads and pay bills. 

FB_IMG_1708714260922.jpg

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

Their latest attempt at humor and explaining their perspective on the rest of us who are suckers for wanting to keep a roof over our heads and pay bills. 

FB_IMG_1708714260922.jpg

Ok, so here's the thing, Art. This would be funny if I sent it to my roommates because we're working our asses off and can barely pay our bills. That's why it's funny. When you post it? Yeah not so much. When tou post it it pretty much gives me the exact opposite reaction you're probably hoping for. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

Maybe they need comments to their posts like, "I came here to support you, but I see you are against having an evil job. The money I planned to give you was earned through my job, therefore it is evil and you won't want it."

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic