IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 2: Still Grifting

Coconut Flan
hoipolloi
Message added by hoipolloi,

REMINDER:

Please be sure that when you quote from someone's social media accounts or provide screenshots that their account is a public account, and not private.

Please review FJ's rule on the use of private information. Paraphrasing is allowed if you happen to be a FB friend or IG follower. 

Art has asked for money ($100) to for the rent/utilities and for food.  Another tweet requested money for the laundromat (6.50 per load).  Another tweet says they have raised $40 and still need $137 (doesn't jive the $100 they asked for in the first tweet).  Also says they found 2 oatmeal cream pies so that was dinner. 

I seriously can't imagine the stress of living moment to moment like this.  And Art has all of the burden.  Their partner doesn't beg on facebook nor seem to share in any of the household chores.  How does their partner's SSI benefit not at least cover the rent?

• Upvote 13

They're in subsidized housing aren't they?  That limits their housing payment to a percentage of income usually.  SSI is only $943 a month for an individual.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

They're in subsidized housing aren't they?  That limits their housing payment to a percentage of income usually.  SSI is only $943 a month for an individual.

Yes they are in subsidized housing.  I think it is only supposed to be 1/3 of their income. 

• Upvote 3

Art says they have more compassion and empathy than Jesus Christ 

Spoiler

Canadian Lol GIF

Edited by Coconut Flan
Animated gif.
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

They didn't happen to define their words, did they?

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I can sit on the couch and feel bad for people all day. Nobody cares unless I add action to the feeling. Also: have they deconverted? Because that's blasphemy in any branch of Christianity I've ever heard of.

• Upvote 9

Quotes from their most recent newsletter:
"2015 was so full of transformations. I worked three different jobs, and my relationships were in a constant state of flux."

It seems odd to mention 2015, and the working of three different jobs. They make it sound wild and crazy but working three jobs over the course of a year at their age is pretty normal. Whatever happened to their attempt to work? What happened between then and now that they are now disabled?

"I know now that you weren’t taught much at all – you were indoctrinated into being a loyal Christian, and a patriotic American. You wanted answers, and you dug for decades, coming up empty every time."

Go finish high school, Artemis. You stopped short of your goals that you started a decade ago. If you want people to care about your opinion as a writer, and to really make a difference (which I think you do), you have to finish what you started. Believe it or not, your journey out of indoctrination is not complete. 

" I see you as a young adult, Artemis, writing desperately. Hoping someone would understand. You are encouraging other people to trust their own instincts, too. That is a success! You are succeeding, even as it feels like you’re dealing with so much betrayal and grief."

It's really hard to see the final "success" story they are trying to sell. People did understand. But they also understand that you gave up between then and now. So... pick up the pieces and keep going. But don't try to sell us lies and cop outs.

• Upvote 6

Fucks sake.  After grifting their rent/bills AGAIN this month they get food benefits on Monday but "are struggling to make the food they have last" and are asking for more.  You aren't going to starve in the next 24 hours.  Stop fucking begging.

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Fucks sake.  After grifting their rent/bills AGAIN this month they get food benefits on Monday but "are struggling to make the food they have last" and are asking for more.  You aren't going to starve in the next 24 hours.  Stop fucking begging.

I work with low income people who are bringing up kids with less money than this and not begging. This blows my mind.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

They seem to be 'anti-work' but not anti-other-people's-work 🤔

Why is it okay to benefit from other people's labour in a capitalist society?  How is that 'better'? 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 13

You have to wonder, with their update about a "supporter" offering to match donations, if someone reads here and is like "screw you, I'll send them money", meanwhile they can giggle all the way to the bank, until one week from now when they've spent it on cheesecakes and "treats" because sitting around the house all day makes them too tired to cook low-cost, healthy meals.

And Art, since you're reading here (you were on the board last night), all you should be eating is oatmeal/cold cereal for breakfasts, wraps or sandwiches for lunch, absolute basics (rice, beans, potatoes, veggies, occasionally meat) for dinner and NOTHING else that you can't afford.  That's it.

You're a sad human being and literally nothing like either a fictional or a real Jesus Christ.  Get over yourself.

Edited by LilMissMetaphor
  • Upvote 7

Per my last post, I've been in their position - poor, stressed, having to appeal disability, isolated, life feels like a constant worry. I didn't have a partner for company, any pets, secure rent controlled housing and the luxuries they seem to feel entitled to. 

I shopped sparingly in Poundland/Home Bargains/utilised economy supermarket lines (equivalent Dollar Tree in the US?), ate repetitive meals of cheap cereal, pasta, rice, apples (didn't go off as quickly as other fruit), sometimes bread + peanut butter if I didn't feel like cooking and whatever budget protein and reduced veg I could get some evenings. Took an Aldi multivitamin + iron. Walking to the supermarket to get some reduced food bargains gave my evening a little structure. I appreciate Art lives in a big city not a walkable town but they and their partner could surely factor in two journeys to the budget grocery store/food bank per week by (seemingly affordable in Seattle) public transport even if you are disabled.  That's enough food to cover 3-4 days and have fresh stuff not go off. What else are they doing?  Afaik public transport has to be wheelchair accessible. 

I'm not saying it's fun but at least it's a bit of gentle exercise and gets you out of the house for an hour or so (good for mental health).

I also used the library and/or had a basic SIM only internet package, was careful with my belongings (couldn't afford to replace them) and had a no-frills android smartphone from before disaster struck.

I'm not trying to be holier than thou but I can't relate to e-begging at all.

Edited by LurkyLurkerson
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 7

33 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

You're a sad human being and literally nothing like either a fictional or a real Jesus Christ.  Get over yourself.

What on earth?! Art’s post was about self-compassion, which is a really good on-ramp for learning compassion, the concept of it. The fact that several people just seem so primed to pile on makes me disappointed. Art hasn’t reproduced, brought no children into this mess. There is a weird hateful vibe on this thread and I really hope Art doesn’t take any of it personally. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 5
  • WTF 1

10 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

What on earth?! Art’s post was about self-compassion, which is a really good on-ramp for learning compassion, the concept of it. The fact that several people just seem so primed to pile on makes me disappointed. Art hasn’t reproduced, brought no children into this mess. There is a weird hateful vibe on this thread and I really hope Art doesn’t take any of it personally. 

Have you been keeping up with this mess? 

• Upvote 13

22 hours ago, LurkyLurkerson said:

Per my last post, I've been in their position - poor, stressed, having to appeal disability, isolated, life feels like a constant worry. I didn't have a partner for company, any pets, secure rent controlled housing and the luxuries they seem to feel entitled to. 

I shopped sparingly in Poundland/Home Bargains/utilised economy supermarket lines (equivalent Dollar Tree in the US?), ate repetitive meals of cheap cereal, pasta, rice, apples (didn't go off as quickly as other fruit), sometimes bread + peanut butter if I didn't feel like cooking and whatever budget protein and reduced veg I could get some evenings. Took an Aldi multivitamin + iron. Walking to the supermarket to get some reduced food bargains gave my evening a little structure. I appreciate Art lives in a big city not a walkable town but they and their partner could surely factor in two journeys to the budget grocery store/food bank per week by (seemingly affordable in Seattle) public transport even if you are disabled.  That's enough food to cover 3-4 days and have fresh stuff not go off. What else are they doing?  Afaik public transport has to be wheelchair accessible. 

I'm not saying it's fun but at least it's a bit of gentle exercise and gets you out of the house for an hour or so (good for mental health).

I also used the library and/or had a basic SIM only internet package, was careful with my belongings (couldn't afford to replace them) and had a no-frills android smartphone from before disaster struck.

I'm not trying to be holier than thou but I can't relate to e-begging at all.

Art lives in Seattle and I think they can make it work, they just don't want to. I follow on TikTok a young girl who has health challenges and is legally blind, she's a single mom to two toddlers (one with speech delay and other stuff), she can't drive and she can't afford a car anyways, she works at a daycare and her two kids are in daycare while she works. They lived somewhere else with her ex who was abusive to her so she left him and moved across the country to Seattle because of accesibilty (public transportation and such) so they take public transportation to buy groceries and do everything pretty much, they have food stamps plus what she makes. Yesterday, she even showed them going to the aquarium/museum and they didn't spend any money and had fun. The kids seem pretty happy and well taken of, and the mom seems way more happy than before. Don't get me wrong she has shared how difficult it is for her some days but she makes it work. Being a mom is the hardest thing anyone can do IMO, if she can do it, Art can definitely improve their life. 

Edited by HermioneSparrow
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Art lives in Seattle and I think they can make it work, they just don't want to. I follow on TikTok a young girl who has health challenges and is legally blind, she's a single mom to two toddlers (one with speech delay and other stuff), she can't drive and she can't afford a car anyways, she works at a daycare and her two kids are in daycare while she works. They lived somewhere else with her ex who was abusive to her so she left him and moved across the country to Seattle because of accesibilty (public transportation and such) so they take public transportation to buy groceries and do everything pretty much, they have food stamps plus what she makes. Yesterday, she even showed them going to the aquarium/museum and they didn't spend any money and had fun. The kids seem pretty happy and well taken of, and the mom seems way more happy than before. Don't get me wrong she has shared how difficult it is for her some days but she makes it work. Being a mom is the hardest thing anyone can do IMO, if she can do it, Art can definitely improve their life. 

Exactly. These are choices in a lot of ways.

• Upvote 6

On 2/3/2024 at 3:29 PM, LilMissMetaphor said:

It's ridiculous.  They have been in the same home since July 18, that's plenty of time to get settled into a routine, develop a meal plan based on their available SNAP allocation, and look for alternative streams of income.  Have they tried freelancing on Fiverr? Looked for a part time job on indeed? So many of us have pain from childhood injuries or deal with depression. One of the many non-pharmaceutical ways to helps alleviate depression is exercise and routine - getting out of bed, showering, leaving the house, going to work, paying bills.  

They should both be filing as "head of household" and if they are as poor as advertised, they should be receiving the maximum amount - $291/each.  They should easily be able to feed themselves with that.  Furthermore, going to work in any sort of business environment or restaurant will also decrease food costs.  I haven't paid for my own lunch in years - there's always some sort of free food in the kitchen or someone wants to meet and buy me lunch or there's an event and food is provided.  Even when I worked in food service, there was always a discount or a family meal available.  

But let's say that they are unable to work outside the home and only have $291 a month to feed themselves.  2 lbs of rice is equal to a little more than four cups and is $2 at fred meyer.  One cup should feed two people.  They can stock up on that and beans, and supplement with stuff like eggs (huevos rancheros), tortillas (quesadillas), cheese (sparingly), chicken (buy on sale), salsa, and pico.  There are so many combinations they can make with just basics.  Learning to not buy the other stuff - like cheesecakes, prepackaged stuff, the oatmeal cream pies - would save them so much money.  They should be making sure that they have 90 base meals a month (or less, not everyone needs three meals a day), then supplementing with the treats.   

• Upvote 10

They should also be going to the local food pantries if their ebt isn't enough per month to cover food.  There are many.  I live in the middle of California and even in my sort of red area of CA we opened a free grocery store.  They stock it just like a regular grocery store and you can go 2x per month.  It is open 3 days per week.  The news articles say they have culturally appropriate food for different cultures and dietary needs. 

• Upvote 8

23 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

They should also be going to the local food pantries if their ebt isn't enough per month to cover food.  There are many.  I live in the middle of California and even in my sort of red area of CA we opened a free grocery store.  They stock it just like a regular grocery store and you can go 2x per month.  It is open 3 days per week.  The news articles say they have culturally appropriate food for different cultures and dietary needs. 

Yeah, but the food bank doesn't deliver.  It's way too much to ask Art to do anything to help further their own survival, like go pick up food. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 4

The biggest issue is that when the online community rallied around them, and supported them, they became even more isolationist. 

It is not a winning strategy, nor are they doing everything they can to stay housed. It's just constant victimhood, with no goals for stability or a better future. SMH.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

22 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Yeah, but the food bank doesn't deliver.  It's way too much to ask Art to do anything to help further their own survival, like go pick up food. 

I know Art has posted about pain and physical limitations; are they able to pick up food or are they completely housebound? Are there options in Seattle for individuals who need PT and OT but can’t pay? 

• Upvote 1

If one is on SSi I think Medicaid is sitll automatic so prescribed therapy would be covered at least for basic therapy.  

• Thank You 3

I think one of the things that bugs me so much is that with mobility, if you don’t use it, you lose it.  And they don’t seem to be putting a lot of effort into keeping as much of their mobility as they can, which just means it will only get worse, never better. This sounds harsh, but I did home care for years working with elderly and disabled clients, and we were told over and over again to get the clients to do as much as possible on their own. Even if it took a long time, even if they didn’t want to or it hurt (obviously don’t push an injury, but general aches and pains, you know) because it was as do important to maintain independence and mobility. Physical movement is just essential to health, both maintaining and getting better. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9

On 1/31/2024 at 10:32 AM, Coconut Flan said:

It depends on the type of subsidized housing. Most of it is adjustable based on the households income, but some of it is units built /converted with set monthly rental rates that are lower than the going market rate costs for the area. The cost needs to be reasonably manageable  to them at move in, but if they initially had some sort of temporary subsidy, or later had a drop in income, it could now be out of their price range. That’s pretty common in the high-cost area where I live. I expect Seattle, which isn’t cheap and has a very active affordable housing push, also has housing in this category. 
lol, sorry - housing nerd here. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

Physical movement is just essential to health, both maintaining and getting better.

This is so true! I just spent a week in hospital with pneumonia, and before that was at home and mostly in bed for a week with a fever. I’m not disabled in any way and generally healthy, but wow, you lose your fitness and mobility so quickly! Obviously you can’t go for a run or go swimming with acute pneumonia, but I made it a point to at least walk up and down the hospital hallway and do some stretches as soon as I felt a little bit better. It made such a difference vs. just lying in bed all day.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic