IGNORED

Harry and Meghan 15

samurai_sarah

I have no problem with saying an outfit or a particular piece is ugly but I don‘t like women (it‘s almost never done to men) being picked on for how their clothing fits or for visible underwear lines. I know it‘s not exactly the same as body shaming but it gets uncomfortably close to that for me. Sorry, if this is just me being hypersensitive. 

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, Manda said:

Meghan really, really needed and probably does still need that stylist that she hated the whole concept of having one.  

as the person in the video said, people expect a different level of care for dressing from the privileged than the rest of us. It is what it is.  Frankly, I don't care how she dresses, but I have noticed that things seemed tight on her, or her underwear were showing, or what have you. *I* would be uncomfortable dressing that way, but if she isn't, well, people are going to talk about her.

And I do believe that this stylist thing is probably another episode of Meghan not listening to advice that was offered. It's a shame, really. She is shooting herself in the foot, exposing herself to criticism.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

as the person in the video said, people expect a different level of care for dressing from the privileged than the rest of us. It is what it is.  Frankly, I don't care how she dresses, but I have noticed that things seemed tight on her, or her underwear were showing, or what have you. *I* would be uncomfortable dressing that way, but if she isn't, well, people are going to talk about her.

And I do believe that this stylist thing is probably another episode of Meghan not listening to advice that was offered. It's a shame, really. She is shooting herself in the foot, exposing herself to criticism.

But all over the internet you have people also picking apart the way Kate dresses. And the absolute avalanche of styling hate the Princesses Bea and Eugenie received in their 20’s. And I’m sure will be coming the way of Charlotte and her cousins in a few years. The main difference with Meghan is they seem to not just pile on about the clothing - but put a big layer of snark for her as a person in to the commentary. Like in this video, with the comments of how she must want to be a sex symbol and is a narcissist because her bra doesn’t fit — with lots of added snark about padded bras — completely ignoring that she was either pregnant or breastfeeding /postpartum for the majority of her public appearances as an official royal.  A slip and stylist probably would be a good thing for anyone who is photographed endlessly - but the LEVEL of scrutiny these women get is off-the-charts. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I have no problem with saying an outfit or a particular piece is ugly but I don‘t like women (it‘s almost never done to men) being picked on for how their clothing fits or for visible underwear lines. I know it‘s not exactly the same as body shaming but it gets uncomfortably close to that for me. Sorry, if this is just me being hypersensitive. 

It's misogyny. It's almost never done to men.

• Upvote 4

@Mama Mia I agree. Royal females get tons of criticism for how they dress (and some have some incredible misses under their belt). For me it crosses from light hearted snark on superficial stuff to unfair over critical comments when fashion misses are used to create a narrative of character. It wasn’t just M though. Interestingly enough, K definitely had this in the beginning of her marriage. Her adamant critics loved to shame her for ignoring advice of HMTQ herself, snubbing royal protocol left and right, always dressing inappropriately and basically insulting the UK, veterans, families and foreign countries by flashing them. For some Kate’s clothes were prove that she was a mean, lazy, fame hungry gold digger with no class whatsoever, shitting on the institution, family and public. She was really lucky M got handed that torch. 
Sometimes it seems the women in the BRF have it the hardest in that regard. But who knows. I wonder if Queen Letizia got similar backlash for wearing black leather pants with a very prominent big silver zipper on her crotch. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4

I like to watch the clothes and yes sometimes snark on them.  With the amount of money the BRF women spend on clothes, they should look at a minimum properly fitted and approrpriate.  I don't think one can make an entire personality assessment based on apparel.  It's tough to comment much on a navy or black suit.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

@Mama Mia I agree. Royal females get tons of criticism for how they dress (and some have some incredible misses under their belt). For me it crosses from light hearted snark on superficial stuff to unfair over critical comments when fashion misses are used to create a narrative of character. It wasn’t just M though. Interestingly enough, K definitely had this in the beginning of her marriage. Her adamant critics loved to shame her for ignoring advice of HMTQ herself, snubbing royal protocol left and right, always dressing inappropriately and basically insulting the UK, veterans, families and foreign countries by flashing them. For some Kate’s clothes were prove that she was a mean, lazy, fame hungry gold digger with no class whatsoever, shitting on the institution, family and public. She was really lucky M got handed that torch. 
Sometimes it seems the women in the BRF have it the hardest in that regard. But who knows. I wonder if Queen Letizia got similar backlash for wearing black leather pants with a very prominent big silver zipper on her crotch. 

It's not only reserved for royal women. When Angela Merkel became german chancellor back in the early 2000s the news where filled with comments about the ways she dressed, her hair, her wrinkles and so on. A very memorable instance whas when she wore a evening dress that showed some cleavage. Newspapers got nuts over it and it was compared to men showing their buttcracks and other disgusting things. That woman was the leading policitian in Germany, but many people where only obsessed with her looks. She looked like a woman her age that didn't care about make up or being fashionable and she got hate for that.

• Upvote 12

I'll be interested in seeing the hats the royal women wear at the Coronation.  I don't understand what the point of the strangeness is, but I guess they do, and it's fun to watch.

Regarding Harry:  My guess is he'll be kept at a polite distance from the main action, which may be most comfortable for all involved.  He's been unhappy with them and I'd be surprised if any of them want to be focused on in any potential sequel to "Spare", especially given that he wasn't above sharing some very personal info.  I don't know if the RF family will ever feel able to trust him again and vice versa.  If not, why would they bother making any real effort to mend fences?  I think his being at the Coronation will be a small step in a good direction, though, and will also minimize the possibility of major Harry-related distractions from the event.

• Upvote 4

Angela Merkel? Remember Hillary Clinton? Dowdy, ugly, non fashionable...

Now there is one evening newsperson whose outfits I don't understand.

She is a lovely woman, but her lipstick drives me to distraction. It's, to me, not flattering at all, and it oftentimes clashes with her clothing. And she wears colors I wouldn't dare wear... If she likes them, have at it.

And while I'm grousing about it, this trend of men in suits that appear to be too small. Cropped at the ankle, pegged, tight and short at the wrist, can be buttoned but then the suit flares out as if a 10 year old is wearing a 5 year old's suit.. This woman sometimes wears similar looking outfits. I don't get why anyone would want to dress that way.. so I don't. If they want to, more power to them

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Angela Merkel? Remember Hillary Clinton? Dowdy, ugly, non fashionable...

Now there is one evening newsperson whose outfits I don't understand.

She is a lovely woman, but her lipstick drives me to distraction. It's, to me, not flattering at all, and it oftentimes clashes with her clothing. And she wears colors I wouldn't dare wear... If she likes them, have at it.

And while I'm grousing about it, this trend of men in suits that appear to be too small. Cropped at the ankle, pegged, tight and short at the wrist, can be buttoned but then the suit flares out as if a 10 year old is wearing a 5 year old's suit.. This woman sometimes wears similar looking outfits. I don't get why anyone would want to dress that way.. so I don't. If they want to, more power to them

I think I know who you're referring to, is she an older woman who has been on the news for a fairly long time? For the life of me I can't remember her name right at the mo. I can see her face clear as day, though, it will come to me at some point. Her lipstick used to bother me, but these days I try to remember that she's been on the air a long time for a reason: she's really good at what she does. Nowadays, I find her lip and clothing color choices more empowering ("You do you, NameICan'tRecall!") than annoying. LOL.

• Haha 3

Clothing for on-air news personalities by gender? /Joan Rivers -style shout!! Don’t get me started!  The heaviest-set man on-screen covers his body with a typical boxy suit ensemble. So does the thinnest man. All that shows: head, face, neck, hands. 

Any given news or weather or sports woman on-air personality? Bare arms, low necklines, form-fitting dresses, peek-a-boo cutouts— Saint Joan Of Rivers, deliver US!!

… phew … I actually came here to ask if it’s been determined whether Meghan l got cosmetic facial surgery or if the Ted Talk intro looked as it did because of a filter.  Anyone know?

Much gratitude in advance-itude….

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I'm not any good at seeing all the "evidence" that people cite for surgery. I have seen so many of those contouring videos where tricks of light and make up make people look completely different that I can't believe anything about a surgery.

But out of curiosity I went to look and all.the stills are sooooo blurry and the color is so oddly golden. I mean *maybe* they filmed that at perfect golden sunset lighting....but more likely it's a filter I think.

I dont like the way her hair is hanging around her face. It's so close to her eyes it makes them seem almost cut off. I doubt it's to "look like Kate" like the articles are saying. Kate's hair never seems hair straight down like that. Reminds me of the shy sister in Incredibles movie (violet?) whose hair is always hanging over her face.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I'm not any good at seeing all the "evidence" that people cite for surgery. I have seen so many of those contouring videos where tricks of light and make up make people look completely different that I can't believe anything about a surgery.

I don’t understand. Is there something wrong with getting plastic surgery? Is this something we shame women for now?

I don't think it's plastic surgery, but even if it is, I don't particularly care what Meghan does with her face to feel comfortable. I can't even imagine the amount of scrutiny celebrity women go through to look physically perfect. I think in this particular instance, it was a filter, because it also made it look like she had severe grey roots, and I don't think we've seen any evidence of Meghan having grey hair. 

The way her hair hung so sleek reminded me more of Kardashian than Kate, tbh. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I think M looks like she always does 🤷‍♀️ if she had something done it’s very subtle. I am not a fan of the hair - too 90s for me. But then I was a fan of her messy buns. Anyhow - M is a beautiful woman and I think most of the time her hair and make up look good (maybe not always fitting to the occasion but that’s another matter entirely).

How anyone can come up with the idea the look is similar to Kate’s style is beyond me.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 9

Yes, Meghan did rock the messy buns.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Yes, Meghan did rock the messy buns.

I liked her sleek pulled back off her face looks. Somehow when I do that I look....bad. just bad. and then get all sorts of weird fly aways. and it's not cute "messy" it's "is that lady a hobo?" messy.

This latest look seems very "california" to me and thus kinda bland. I feel like there's sort of a LA look that she has now vs the classic look she had during engagement/early marriage. I'm a little jealous I never looked that classic or sophisticated.

• Upvote 3

Looking at her clothes over the years, the classic look seems to have been the aberration.  She seemed to adopt that later in the engagement andd only kept it until around the time of the first pregnancy.  

• I Agree 3

Just watched a bit of the balcony waving bit. And I'm struck how sad it is to have no Harry. We've watched him waving on the balcony his whole life. No fancy robes and all that today. It must be very very hard for him. I'm sorta of bittersweet sad. I think he brought it on himself and has acted an ass. But still, it's a sad break and I'm unexpectedly touched by it.

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Looking at her clothes over the years, the classic look seems to have been the aberration.  She seemed to adopt that later in the engagement andd only kept it until around the time of the first pregnancy.  

Yeah, it was a change. But she looked soooo good! Haha. I dont want to do all the work to look like that but I can appreciate it!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Just watched a bit of the balcony waving bit. And I'm struck how sad it is to have no Harry. We've watched him waving on the balcony his whole life. No fancy robes and all that today. It must be very very hard for him. I'm sorta of bittersweet sad. I think he brought it on himself and has acted an ass. But still, it's a sad break and I'm unexpectedly touched by it.

14 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I don't think he wants the fancy robes and all the pomp. People may miss him but I don't think he misses that scene at all.

Actually, I was struck at how unhappy everyone looked on the balcony, except perhaps Louis and Kate. Were they getting rained on? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, prayawaythefundie said:

He wasn‘t on the balcony for the jubilee either. It‘s not so new.

Yeah, I think he got what he at least says he wants this go round--his privacy. He went in with family, was seated with family (albeit not the working members, of which he isn't one anyway, by his own choice), and was not the center of attention at all, as far as I could tell. Of course, I watched most of the ceremony on PBS, which didn't have the same breathless, eager-to-stir-shit focus that CNN and other networks always seem to have regarding him, so maybe he got a lot of attention that I didn't see on those channels. I barely noticed him, to be honest. Just saw his balding head a few rows back in a couple of aerial shots. Should he have been on the balcony? Maybe. But again, it was his choice to leave The Firm, so if he really wanted to be there--and I suspect maybe he did, though I have nothing to base that on but my own opinion! I mean, it was his father's coronation, for crying out loud!-- it's his own doing that he wasn't. 

I enjoyed the hell out of the proceedings, from 5 am until I fell asleep sometime after the ceremony itself. Woke up to the balcony stuff, so rewound and watched what I missed. The music was wonderful, the sermon very brief, the crowns stayed on heads without slippage, and there were no ill omens such as the one when young Richard II was crowned in 1377. One of his shoes fell off, and people took that to be a bad sign of his coming reign. Thankfully, Charles's shoes stayed firmly on! 😆

God Save The King.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Loveday said:

But again, it was his choice to leave The Firm, so if he really wanted to be there--and I suspect maybe he did, though I have nothing to base that on but my own opinion! I mean, it was his father's coronation, for crying out loud!-- it's his own doing that he wasn't. 

Why would he want to be on the balcony? He's been on the balcony tons of times, throughout his life. I don't think it's as thrilling as everyone thinks. The royals--even the children--generally aren't smiling and don't look that excited. Is anyone really happy on there?

I think *commoners* think the balcony is super-great. To royals, it's another boring chore. Why would it be fun to stand in the cold (and rain!) and wave?

Now, dinner at Sandringham or hiking in Balmoral--that might be a fun royal perk. But the balcony? I doubt Harry cared and he's probably having much more fun at home. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

He wasn‘t on the balcony for the jubilee either. It‘s not so new.

True, but the two aren’t comparable to me. This is the pinnacle of his father’s life and service. This is what he has been waiting 74 years for. Big difference (to me, anyway) between celebrating X amount of years for grandma and THE coronation of his father. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic