IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

If someone in their seventies, eighties, nineties starts becoming meaner, making more social gaffes,  putting their foot in their mouth more often and otherwise losing their filter I would consider the possibility that they might have undiagnosed, or at least undisclosed brain degenerative changes or cognitive impairment. Lacunar strokes, mild dementia, that sort of thing. 

Outwardly he was aging pretty well but he always had a bunch of people to help him out unlike many other senior citizens.

This is exactly what happened to The Queen of Denmarks husband… He started speaking out to the press about all sorts of things, telling them how his family treated him unfairly and badly ETC. And announced he did not want to be buried with The Queen. He was always eccentric and irascible but they finally diagnosed him with dementia. 

• Upvote 6

According to reports, Prince Andrew and Fergie are the ones that will take care of the corgis. Apparently, Fergie would join the Queen when she was walking the.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, TN-peach said:

According to reports, Prince Andrew and Fergie are the ones that will take care of the corgis. Apparently, Fergie would join the Queen when she was walking the.  

Seems like a good solution.  They are on the Windsor estate and can make themselves useful for a change.  

• Upvote 5

That’s seems nice but the story is some of those Corgis were/are badly trained, bad tempered  and one of them attacked Beatrice westie and either seriously hurt or killed it. Yikes. 

• Sad 4

On 9/10/2022 at 4:01 PM, KnittingOwl said:

It’s truly awe inspiring to be in the presence of someone truly so omniscient. Jackie, I don’t know how you do it.

I also don’t know you account for polyamorous relationships. I have a few friends in several and they are very happy. Wouldn’t work for me, but I’m not going to judge. Nor can we judge the Queen and Prince Philip. We have no idea the true nature of their relationship and what kind of understanding they may have had. 

I also know several poly couples who are pretty happy with their arrangements.

I think historically, Royal couples seem to have always had someone on the side(especially the men).  Historically  it probably comes from marrying for political gain and not love; the understanding, probably like Charles and Diana’s marriage, was that the marriage was for politics and heirs, and the good sex was the mistresses’ job. Obviously that did not work out in their case, but there really was a lot of historical precedent.

I am not saying any of that makes it right or wrong.  I don’t make it a practice to judge other people’s loves, marriages, or consensual sexual activities. 
I am just pointing out that historically, that’s how Royal marriages went. 

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s seems nice but the story is some of those Corgis were/are badly trained, bad tempered  and one of them attacked Beatrice westie and either seriously hurt or killed it. Yikes. 

When dogs are particularly bad-tempered, it is often because they are spoiled and/or only respect one “master.”   I assume some retraining will be necessary.

Fortunately, the dogs she leaves are pretty young.  As I recall the last one of the “family” corgis Elizabeth had bred died early in the pandemic and she was gifted two or three others.  Elizabeth had said she didn’t want her dogs to outlive her, but apparently was persuaded that she needed dogs in her life. (It may have been offered by Andrew then that he would take them.  Maybe.)

In any case, the dogs have a home.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sableduck said:

I also know several poly couples who are pretty happy with their arrangements.

I think historically, Royal couples seem to have always had someone on the side(especially the men).  Historically  it probably comes from marrying for political gain and not love; the understanding, probably like Charles and Diana’s marriage, was that the marriage was for politics and heirs, and the good sex was the mistresses’ job. Obviously that did not work out in their case, but there really was a lot of historical precedent.

I am not saying any of that makes it right or wrong.  I don’t make it a practice to judge other people’s loves, marriages, or consensual sexual activities. 
I am just pointing out that historically, that’s how Royal marriages went. 

We do not know that Phillip was unfaithful to Elizabeth.  The most credible story I have read about Phillip’s sexual adventures is from before he married or was even engaged to Elizabeth.

We often talk about how Elizabeth “fell in love” with Phillip at 13, but if we said that he fell in love with her at the same time we would have to question his proclivities. The reality is he probably thought she was a nice kid and didn’t develop any serious interest in her until later.  Even as adults, his initial love for her may well have had some element of recognizing the advantages of marrying the future queen, as well as being flattered by her obvious enthusiasm for him.  That doesn’t make the love any less real.

However, you are absolutely right that in the world that they lived a little quiet infidelity would not have seemed out of place, even if Elizabeth were to have found out and been hurt. (Again, we don’t know that he had any affair much less that Elizabeth found out.)

I have always thought that Charles married Diana with the intention of being faithful but with the idea in the back of his head that if the marriage didn’t work out he could quietly resume his affair with Camilla.  Unfortunately, no one explained this to Diana. (I really blame her parents.) 

In any case Elizabeth and Phillip were a good team, a good couple. They had the same values and much the same goals. They seemed to love each other, and they should be remembered for that, not whether he was/was not faithful.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

If someone in their seventies, eighties, nineties starts becoming meaner, making more social gaffes,  putting their foot in their mouth more often and otherwise losing their filter I would consider the possibility that they might have undiagnosed, or at least undisclosed brain degenerative changes or cognitive impairment. Lacunar strokes, mild dementia, that sort of thing. 

Prince Phillip:

Aged 43--“It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from school art lessons.” (pointing to a  primitive' exhibition of traditional art)

Aged 45: "British women can't cook".

Aged 48: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?" To Sir Tom Jones after a Royal Variety Performance.

Aged 60:  "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." During the 1981 recession.

Aged 63: "You are a woman, aren't you?" In Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman.

Aged 65: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed." To a group of British students during a royal visit to China.

Aged 65--"If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an airplane, or swims and is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it," he said. Speaking of Chinese cuisine

Aged 67--"You managed not to get eaten then?" Talking to a student trekking through Papua New Guinea

Aged 67--I don't think doing it [killing animals] for money makes it any more moral. I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.

This is just a sample of things he said long before he reached aged 70. I doubt he had dementia or senility at age 43.

"Slitty-eyed" is more than a "gaffe", but I guess using words like "gaffes" normalizes it.  Is that your goal, to normalize racism?

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 3

52 minutes ago, viii said:

Yeah, I’m not sure why anyone wants to die on this hill. Philip was a racist. The end. 

I know, imagine defending a racist, just to "support" the royal family. 

He was also pretty nasty to his wife, the Queen of England.

"Yak, yak, yak; come on, get a move on."—1994. It seems there's no one Prince Philip was intimidated by. He shouted this to the Queen from the deck of Britannia in Belize after growing increasingly impatient with her chatting to people. 

Imagine talking that way to the Queen. She must have been so humiliated. Is this also a "gaffe", or is that term just used for racist comments? Perhaps, since it's about the Queen,  it's OK to call out Phillip's rudeness and disrespect?

He may have walked behind her, but that doesn't mean he respected her position.

He also had little respect for the young people in his Duke of Edinburgh program.

"Young people are the same as they always were. Just as ignorant."—

He had little respect for the disabled. Here he "jokes" with a blind, wheelchair-bound girl with a guide dog

"Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?" he said.

And when he visited a class of deaf students sitting next to a brass band:

'Deaf? I'm not surprised with that bloody racket!' 

And his prophetic words about viruses (he got his wish!)

"In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation."

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 4

1 hour ago, viii said:

Yeah, I’m not sure why anyone wants to die on this hill. Philip was a racist. The end. 

Exactly. 

Just like Harry dressed up as a Nazi and used racist slurs against Pakistani people, except I don’t see anyone clutching their pearls over that in the Harry and Meghan thread.

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

This is just a sample of things he said long before he reached aged 70. I doubt he had dementia or senility at age 43.

"Slitty-eyed" is more than a "gaffe", but I guess using words like "gaffes" normalizes it.  Is that your goal, to normalize racism?

I'm not a native English speaker, and I learned the word gaffe from your post that I was responding to...

No one is disputing  that he said racist things. 

Aged 67--I don't think doing it [killing animals] for money makes it any more moral. I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.

Do we think that making money for animal cruelty makes animal cruelty more moral? Do we believe that prostitution is morally better than marriage?

34 minutes ago, adidas said:

Just like Harry dressed up as a Nazi and used racist slurs against Pakistani people, except I don’t see anyone clutching their pearls over that in the Harry and Meghan thread.

That was definitely wrong. If you want to discuss that on the Harry and Meghan thread, I would be happy to clutch my pearls about it over there.

I'm not sure if you can compare him to Phillip, though. Phillip wins in terms of sheer quantity, lack of personal growth, and the large number of groups he insulted. 

To my knowledge, Harry hasn't called any small children "fat" or insulted the disabled (actually he has tried to support disabled vets). Harry hasn't insulted his wife, as Phillip did. Harry also stopped his offensive behavior, while Phillip continued without remorse or growth for his entire life.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

That was definitely wrong. If you want to discuss that on the Harry and Meghan thread, I would be happy to clutch my pearls about it over there.

I'm not sure if you can compare him to Phillip, though. Phillip wins in terms of sheer quantity, lack of personal growth, and the large number of groups he insulted. 

To my knowledge, Harry hasn't called any small children "fat" or insulted the disabled (actually he has tried to support disabled vets). Harry hasn't insulted his wife, as Phillip did. Harry also stopped his offensive behavior, while Phillip continued without remorse or growth for his entire life.

Has he ever apologized?  At the time Harry's spokesman tried to insist that "raghead" and "Paki" were not at all intended as racist.

• Upvote 3

Harry and Meghan are not the topics of this thread. Please move any discussion about them to their thread.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 14

Back to Queen Elizabeth’s funeral, I was quite moved by Princess Anne’s deep curtsy as her mother’s coffin passed.  It was deeper than it needed be for protocol, and it suggested a very personal gesture of respect that was really a sign of love.  Like most of us, Anne can’t have remembered a time when her mother wasn’t Queen. 

Prncess Anne Curtsies (People)

For everyone, the death of a parent is the death of an era.  How much more so when your parent was the Queen that defined an era herself?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Well, looks like the orange fuck ain't invited to the funeral (then again none of the former Presidents still living are).

President Joe Biden will not be bringing his predecessor — or any other former president — to accompany him when he travels to London for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, the White House has said.

In response to a question on whether Mr Biden would invite Donald Trump or any of the three other living ex-presidents to join an official delegation to the late sovereign’s memorial service, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters that the official invitation from His Majesty’s Government was extended only to the incumbent president and his spouse, First Lady Jill Biden.

Ms Jean-Pierre said the invitation was transmitted on Saturday as a diplomatic note from the protocol directorate of the UK foreign and commonwealth office, with Mr Biden accepting it a day later.

“The invitation was extended to the US government for the President and the First Lady only,” she said.

I bet Biden was relieved that the British made that decision for him.  Of course fuck knob, Tapper, CNN, Faux News, and all of the Nazi Republican party will still try to blame him for that.

I rather like that CNN and Tapper are having to eat a bit of crow today.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 3

King Charles, the Princess Royal and Princes Andrew and Edward are now part of the vigil in St Giles.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

King Charles, the Princess Royal and Princes Andrew and Edward are now part of the vigil in St Giles.

It is very moving.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic