IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm further betting he never asked Steve's permission to marry Sarah.

I hope he didn’t but I think it’s possible he did. Maybe as just a way to calm Steve down. Not because he actually wanted Steve’s permission. But because he didn’t want to get Steve all worked up. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I believe that is a reason we admire others who don’t change. 

Really, Steve?

Ugh, he really does have a stick up his butt, doesn't he? 

People don't admire others who "don't change". People admire others who know who they are, but that doesn't mean they "don't change" ever. Everything changes. Life is change. People change, attitudes change, culture changes, heck even the climate changes. 

Steve seems to be making an idol of inflexibility. He's allowed to make changes (removing his kids from sports, reversing his vasectomy, changing up his diet...) but nobody else should change ever. If they do they are just blown like a leaf in the wind. 

Sounds like he's still butthurt about his kids making some changes of their own.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hope he didn’t but I think it’s possible he did. Maybe as just a way to calm Steve down. Not because he actually wanted Steve’s permission. But because he didn’t want to get Steve all worked up. 

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm further betting he never asked Steve's permission to marry Sarah.

I would be very surprised if he didn't ask Steve's permission.  This is still very normal in mainstream circles, especially mainstream conservative Christian circles.  I think it is a terrible practice that I wish would die out, but unfortunately it's not dying out.  

I also don't think he asked to appease Steve. I think he asked because it's normal for most religious conservatives.

• Upvote 9

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "Never, Never Stop". It's dated January 11, 2022. 

First Paragraph: 

Hopefully, when we evaluated ourselves we saw still a great need for growth in steadfastness in Christ.

Wouldn't it be better to see a steady increasing growth that wasn't in danger of burning out?

Oh Brother, be committed. There is no autopilot. 

I would God would be the pilot.

We haven’t arrived and won’t until the trumpet sounds.

That might be a long time. At least hopefully. 

Every day is a new day. 

This is a song lyric from many songs. The song I was thinking of was All I Can Do by Jump Five. This song is very sugary pop, and Steve would hate it. 

Put off the flesh, and put on the Lord Jesus. “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof” (Romans 13:14).

More about the world being evil. Every day is a day to complain about Christians being wordly.

Second Paragraph:

Don’t ever think: “This won’t harm me. It’s harmless. It certainly isn’t sinful.” 

He seems to be talking about the whole world. STEVE!

That voice speaking is the voice of pride. 

No, it's the voice of sanity.

Always seek what is edifying (1 Cor 10:23) as it will lead to a closer walk with your Lord and holiness. “But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy” (1 Peter 1:15-16).

We've read this before. From Steve.

Third Paragraph:

Never, never stop pursuing Christ.

Listening to music or reading a book or enjoying art or learning science doesn't mean someone stops following Christ. We've heard this before. Although last time, it took six columns what you just said in less than 20 sentences. If you're going to repeat nonsense, at least keep it this short. Or shorter. Or you could write about fatherhood. 

I'm also wondering if this week's Dad's column is short, because he also wrote the Mom's column. It certainly read like he wrote it.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

On 1/4/2023 at 11:49 AM, Alisamer said:

Steve seems to be making an idol of inflexibility.

This post throws the most shade on Stevehovah in the history of every Maxhell thread, evah! 

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

Based on @goldbu's findings, I think these columns are mostly aimed at Joe Maxwell. He's the dad who's bucked Maxwell beliefs the most.

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Ahhh Peace and Rest and it's from January 18, 2023.

First Paragraph: 

When you want a peaceful, relaxing evening what do you do? Based on talking with others, including professing Christians, many turn to a movie or TV (and sadly some also grab a beer/alcohol). They sit down, turn on the tube, and turn off their mind. Ahhhhh. 

Of course.  Steve, speaking from experience, isn't it exhausting not being able to turn your mind off? Mediation is proven to lower stress which helps with medical issues like high blood pressure. You might consider trying a Christian meditation group. 

Beyond that, people are entitled to their own hobbies. You can be a Christian and watch tv, etc. 

Second Paragraph:

Where do you go for peace? Where should those who are bought and paid for by the blood of the Lord Jesus get peace? “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27). Notice, “not as the world giveth, give I unto you.”

In answer to the first question, not to you. Secondly, Jesus was trying to comfort people, not judge them. 

Third Paragraph:

Might the very best “place” we could go for peace be to our Lord? What might that look like practically? The first place to start is His Word. Is your ironclad habit to have family Bible time every evening? Reading Scripture, discussing it, and praying is a peaceful, delightful and restful time. 

Not everyone finds that peaceful. It would be especially stressful with little kids. It's also stressful depending on what part of the bible you read: too much violence, sex, etc. 

Maybe after family Bible time, you still have more time in your evening. Then, be enriched and challenged reading about how the Lord has worked in other lives. There are hosts of good Christian biographies that you can read to your family. 

Your own daughters used to play board games. There is more to life than just reading. 

Be sure your time is both peaceful AND edifying. “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not” (1 Corinthians 10:23).

Actually, it sounds like this verse says you have the right to chose how spend your time. If all decisions are lawful, then they are allowed. Some things are allowed, but aren't beneficial or constructive (NIV). It doesn't say you can't spend a little time on things that aren't helpful. It seems to be warning to be aware of you spend your time, but it doesn't say you can't spend a little free time on something fun.

We've read this before from you. Maybe it's time to give up the column?

• Upvote 12

Poor Teri. I guess he is reading biographies of great christian men to her now they have noone to fellowship with after bible time.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, ClareDeLune said:

Poor Teri. I guess he is reading biographies of great christian men to her now they have noone to fellowship with after bible time.

A thought: These “great Christian men” are only great because they and their buds say they are. Stevehovah, did you actually know any of them? Might you be worshipping false idols?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11

If it is aimed at Joe, I sincerely hope he gave up on reading Dad's shite a long time ago, just to make Stevehovah's rage-posting even more meaningless.

• Upvote 16

21 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

If it is aimed at Joe, I sincerely hope he gave up on reading Dad's shite a long time ago, just to make Stevehovah's rage-posting even more meaningless.

Joe lives in a nice big house, has a company with a few employees, a wife and kids. If Steve tells him he’s doing something wrong, he probably brushes it off. Because his life seems to be going so well. If his company was failing, he was filing bankruptcy or getting a divorce, maybe he would listen to Steve. But for now, he’s doing just fine and Steve’s bloviating is probably going in one ear and out the other. 

• Upvote 22

I don't think it's Joe as he was the most smug of all the kids.  Just a few years ago Steve was bragging about one of his sons saying he was glad he wasn't a sports fan, Joe once called watching sports "filth".  My money is on Jesse as he sold his house and rented an apartment for a year, Anna3 doesn't appear to be pregnant, and they hang out with a tattooed church member.

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

This week's Seriously, Dad? is a tribute to the Gideons and the Gideon's Bible. Gideon's Bible always reminds me of Rocky Raccoon

It's called Well Said and it's from January 25, 2023. 

First Section:

A tribute to the Gideons and their passion for God’s Word. They have shared over 2 billion copies of God’s Word. The following words are printed inside the Testaments they distribute.  

Steve, the first line is not a sentence. It should be "I want to write a tribute to the Gideons." I at least understand why Steve admires the Gideons. They have put a lot of bibles in the world. 

The next section is the words are printed inside the Testaments they distribute, So not anything Steve wrote. 

Second section:

“The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.”

So this is written by the Gideons. It sounds like Steve as well. It's almost like Steve's advice isn't that original or necessary.  

Third Section:

Wasn’t that well-said?

Yeah, Steve. It's well-written, even if I don't agree with all of it. I especially liked the curse at the end of it. 

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

And that's it. Another quote. Steve wrote 4 sentences and used quotes. Steve should have written more. 

He could have started by explaining who the Gideons are. I wasn't sure.  From Wikipedia:

Gideons International is an Evangelical Christian association for men founded in 1899 in Janesville, Wisconsin. The Gideons' primary activity, along with their wives in the Auxiliary, is "encouraging each other to do the work of the Lord, focusing on who they are before God, and strengthening the power of their personal testimony for the Lord Jesus Christ". They are most recognized for distributing copies of Scripture free of charge, paid for by freewill offerings from local churches and from members themselves. This Bible distribution is a worldwide enterprise taking place in around 200 countries, territories and possessions

He also could have talked about someone who benefited by Gideon's bible and their work if he wanted this column to be a tribute to them.

So in the end, Rocky Raccoon was the better tribute after all.  

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 7

On 1/21/2023 at 12:03 PM, SPHASH said:

I don't think it's Joe as he was the most smug of all the kids.  Just a few years ago Steve was bragging about one of his sons saying he was glad he wasn't a sports fan, Joe once called watching sports "filth".  My money is on Jesse as he sold his house and rented an apartment for a year, Anna3 doesn't appear to be pregnant, and they hang out with a tattooed church member.

Anna wrote a piece on why she's not going to college and now she's in college. Joe may be smug, but it doesn't mean he's as hardcore fundie as his dad.  He was one of the first sons to move away from he neighborhood. He and his wife may not be quiverfull. He and Jesse run a business where they deal with mainstream clients. I'm sure it would come off weird if he was calling sports "filth". He has a twitter account where he was apparently making references to Mario Kart. I think he is probably the most likely candidate for these columns, since he's actually a father and Jesse is not a father.

• Upvote 9

It could literally be disgust with any of his kids that is driving the current screed. Well, anybody but Christopher. What we know: Nate and John let their wives and daughters wear pants. Joe moved out of the compound, bought a house none of us can imagine he could get without a mortgage, tweets about video games and uses slang like "WTH," and only has three kids. Jesse lived in an apartment, interacts with regular-looking church people, and he's coming up on three years married without a kid in sight. Anna and Mary went to college, something Anna had publicly renounced over a decade ago, all the daughters wear pants and some have been seen in shorts, and Sarah just plain moved out on her own, dated online, and wore a wedding gown that didn't fit like an old T-shirt. From pics and videos we've seen, we know that John, Jesse, Sarah, and Mary have not had strict no-touch courtships. (And Nate also didn't, but they apparently weren't worked up about that back then.) Only Christopher is toeing his dad's very legalistic line, with his khakis and tucked-in polo shirts and his wife and daughters all still flocking close by in their baggy frumpers. The column is ostensibly for dads, so maybe the "wayward" sons are the target, but I think he's pretty disgusted with just about everybody.

I think his 100 year plan was for all of his children to grow up and be just like him, pop out a zillion frumper- or polo-shirt-clad babies for Jesus, and live within sight of his house. It was going so well for the first couple decades of having adult children...but now it's not.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

If I’m remembering correctly, it was Nathan who referred to popular culture, not just sports in particular, as “filth.”

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 1/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, Hane said:

If I’m remembering correctly, it was Nathan who referred to popular culture, not just sports in particular, as “filth.”

Honestly, Nathan has always struck me as probably the most sanctimonious and self-righteous of all the boys. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 1/27/2023 at 7:51 AM, danvillebelle said:

Honestly, Nathan has always struck me as probably the most sanctimonious and self-righteous of all the boys. 

I wonder who's more likely to end up sanctimonious in a family like that - the ones who had a "normal" childhood and had it yanked away and had to spend their teenage years shilling their parents' schedules and legalism, or the ones who were born into that and never knew any different?

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, Bethy said:

I wonder who's more likely to end up sanctimonious in a family like that - the ones who had a "normal" childhood and had it yanked away and had to spend their teenage years shilling their parents' schedules and legalism, or the ones who were born into that and never knew any different?

In the Maxwells, it’s the oldest 2 sons that seem to be the only ones still following most of the Maxhell rules. But they also have the largest families and oldest children. So their kids have been marinated in the kool-aid longer. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Bethy said:

Usually the first born, although that didn't pan out too good for the Duggars.

• Upvote 7

I've been stressed lately and in need of a laugh. Fortunately, Steve wrote what might be his funniest column ever. 

This week's column is called Not A Legalist! and it's from February 1, 2023.

Oh, Steve it's April Fool's Day that happens on the first of the month, not February Fool's Day. 

First paragraph:

Have you ever had a conversation with a Christian and at some point you ask, “Do you read your Bible every day?” 

Yes, Christians who like to ask that are usually looking for an excuse to be smug. Either that or they trying to escape a more extremist Christianity, and looking for validation and support in breaking habits like reading the bible every day.

Second Paragraph:

He replies, “No, I’m not a legalist about it.” What do you say in response to him?

I say in response to him, "Sounds like a healthy attitude." Or "It's good that you're able to practice your faith in a way that works for you."

Third Paragraph:

What about you? Maybe you don’t read your Bible and pray every day because you don’t want to be a legalist. You think, “The Bible doesn’t command us to read our Bible every day. I might be a legalist if I did.” 

No, I don't read the bible every day. It has less to do with not being a legalist, and more to do with I don't want to read the bible every day. I kind of agree with Steve that if you genuinely wanted to read the bible everyday and were able to read the bible everyday, then you shouldn't let other people's labels ruin something you enjoy/find fulfilling. You shouldn't have to read the bible every day if you don't want to. Reading it so others don't judge you is silly and legalist. 

Fourth Paragraph:

Give it some thought. Continued next week. 

Oh, joy! I'm looking forward to next week. I genuinely want to see what Steve says. My prediction is: that he will defend it by saying that reading the bible by saying it's motivated by love of God or necessary as food. He will quote 1 Peter 2:2 and Psalms 1:2.

Steve, if you're going to write this short, use full sentences. "Continued next week" isn't a full sentence.  Or it could be fixed with an ellipsis "...".

Fifth Paragraph:

“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him” (Colossians 3:17).

This verse actually implies you don't need to read the bible every day. You can do lots of things to honor God, raise a family, pain pictures, make music, write poetry, play sports, learn science, etc. Interesting choice, Steve!

See you next week!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 5

On 1/4/2023 at 11:49 AM, Alisamer said:

Really, Steve?

Ugh, he really does have a stick up his butt, doesn't he? 

People don't admire others who "don't change". People admire others who know who they are, but that doesn't mean they "don't change" ever. Everything changes. Life is change. People change, attitudes change, culture changes, heck even the climate changes. 

Steve seems to be making an idol of inflexibility. He's allowed to make changes (removing his kids from sports, reversing his vasectomy, changing up his diet...) but nobody else should change ever. If they do they are just blown like a leaf in the wind. 

Sounds like he's still butthurt about his kids making some changes of their own.

I know of a person who has dug in her heels and vowed to never change. Mr. Steve, please meet Mrs. JRod. 

• Haha 11

On 1/31/2023 at 9:06 PM, Bethy said:

I think it’s also important when looking at their lives to remember they seemed to have loosened up a bit too. Nate and Chris were setting the tone for their families when the maxwells were at the height of being strict. the younger ones were able to form their families in a slightly less strict atmosphere.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

I know of a person who has dug in her heels and vowed to never change. Mr. Steve, please meet Mrs. JRod. 

So.very.true. Jill absolutely refuses to change a single thing. I picture her in 30 years traveling around with David in the RV, wearing the same long tight skirts, with the same teased hair, and the same thick black eyeliner. Visiting each adult child while expecting them to take her out to dinner every night. Even if they are poor and have 10 kids. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic