IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout Part 16: Public Hearings Are Underway

GreyhoundFan

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

And they're going to subpoena Trump!

Cue meltdown in three, two, one...

Putting popcorn on the post-work shopping list now...

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

The committee showed footage from the army base Congressional leadership had been evacuated to.

The Jan. 6 select committee aired previously unseen footage from Fort McNair, the DC-area Army base where congressional leaders took refuge during the insurrection and scrambled to respond to the unfolding crisis.

CNN has obtained additional footage from Fort McNair that wasn’t shown by the committee. The exclusive footage will air on CNN on Thursday night at 8 p.m. ET, during a special edition of “Anderson Cooper 360°.”

During Thursday’s hearing, committee member Rep. Jamie Raskin, a Maryland Democrat, said the footage shows how Trump administration officials and congressional leaders worked around then-President Donald Trump to put down the riot that he had incited.

“You’ll see how everyone involved was working actively to stop the violence, to get federal law enforcement deployed to the scene to put down the violence and secure the Capitol complex,” Raskin said. “All of them did what President Trump was not doing what he simply refused to do.”

• Thank You 7

5 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

The committee showed footage from the army base Congressional leadership had been evacuated to.

The really gut wrenching parts are that he believed- and probably still believes- he had the despot-like power to do what he did and his takeaway is that people love him so much they will kill for him. All of the members of Congress who still back him don’t get that the insurrectionists were likely “shoot first and let God sort ‘em out” hence the Gym Jordan running footage and the scenes of the members of Congress running down the stairs. If the traitors (and you all know who I mean) thought they were safe, they really underestimate how things can go wrong when people get trigger happy in the heat of the moment or mistake one person for another. Hell, if any of them were part of the conspiracy they may have been killed just to eliminate witnesses. It’d be mighty suspicious if a few members of Congress were left alive but killing them insures their silence. (Gah- now I am starting to think like those reprehensible monsters!) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I couldn’t help it, I thought of “Deliverance” when I read the comment above. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

Ronny needs to prescribe himself a large dose of Xanax. 

• Upvote 9

Trump has told people he'd testify under oath if HE GETS TO DO IT WHILE IT'S BROADCAST LIVE.  If the committee agrees to that, they're crazy.  

Donny's had a bad day today.  He gets the subpoena.  He lost at the Supreme Court when they declined to intervene about the Mar-a-Lago docs.  And AG James continues to pursue him.

• Upvote 5

Pelosi very cool, calm, and collected in those video snippets.  Not like Mango Mussolini at one of his hate rallies where he's screaming like a banshee or throwing ketchup at the walls.

• Upvote 10

Do not mess with Nancy. Repeat: Do NOT mess with Nancy!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

Scalise is disgusting. He is blaming Nancy for the attack, saying she didn’t ask for assistance. He was standing right next to her while she made multiple calls. 

• Upvote 8

I have to say, while I'm not generally a member of Nancy Pelosi's fan club and think it's long past time for her to move on and let someone else take her place, she was a BAMF in these videos. I guarantee you I would not have been as calm and collected as she was. I'd still have been making the same calls, but the fucks, they woulda been a-flyin'. Every other word out of my mouth would have been a curse word and my rage would have been very clear to all and sundry.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

I’m watching the extended version of the footage on CNN. I honestly not sure whether to cry or vomit. We came so close to losing everything. 

Also, Pelosi has fucking ice water in her veins. I’m so impressed.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Destiny said:

I’m watching the extended version of the footage on CNN. I honestly not sure whether to cry or vomit. We came so close to losing everything. 

This.  Exactly this.  If Donald had been able to get them to let him go to the Capitol it might have fired up the crowd more.  If Pence hadn't gotten out of the building in time, the crowd might have gotten him.  If the people hadn't been able to get the ballots away from the crowds, the vote would have been cancelled.  If the police hadn't been able to deflect and delay the crowds, things would have been much worse.  We were so close to having everything fall apart back on 1/6.  

I watched it that day as it was broadcast.  I hyperventilated, paced, and cried.  That should have been the reaction of most people.  I just never thought he'd try to reinstall himself through a coup.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

On 10/14/2022 at 9:28 PM, Xan said:

This.  Exactly this.  If Donald had been able to get them to let him go to the Capitol it might have fired up the crowd more.  If Pence hadn't gotten out of the building in time, the crowd might have gotten him.  If the people hadn't been able to get the ballots away from the crowds, the vote would have been cancelled.  If the police hadn't been able to deflect and delay the crowds, things would have been much worse.  We were so close to having everything fall apart back on 1/6.  

I watched it that day as it was broadcast.  I hyperventilated, paced, and cried.  That should have been the reaction of most people.  I just never thought he'd try to reinstall himself through a coup.  

It’s why I had to cut all Trumpers out of my life after 1/6. Anyone who could still support him after that attempted coup was someone I couldn’t give my energy when there were far more pressing matters that needed my attention at the time. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Washington Post article with judge directing John Eastman to turn over more emails.  I bolded my favorite part (out of many favorite parts, lol).

Trump knew voter fraud numbers were fantasy

Spoiler

Former president Donald Trump and his political allies understood that their allegations of widespread voter fraud in Georgia were baseless but continued to push the unfounded claims in courts and the public, according to recent federal court filings.

The revelations came in an 18-page opinion Wednesday over Trump ally and conservative lawyer John Eastman’s resistance to a subpoena for emails from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.

U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter found that several documents between Trump’s allies must be made public, as they showed that the group participated in a “knowing misrepresentation of voter fraud numbers in Georgia when seeking to overturn the election results in federal court.”

“The emails show that President Trump knew that the specific numbers of voter fraud were wrong but continued to tout those numbers, both in court and to the public,” Carter wrote. “The Court finds that these emails are sufficiently related to and in furtherance of a conspiracy to defraud the United States.”

A spokesman for Trump did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

On Thursday, however, Trump responded to Carter’s decision, writing on his social media platform that the judge had made “very nasty, wrong, and ill-informed statements about me.” Trump also repeated his false claim about the 2020 election having been "Rigged and Stolen.” Trump also wrote that the judge “shouldn’t be making statements about me until he understands the facts, which he doesn’t!”

In March, Carter said Trump “more likely than not” committed federal crimes in trying to obstruct the congressional count of electoral college votes on Jan. 6. That determination came in a ruling addressing scores of sensitive emails Eastman had resisted turning over to the House committee.

Eastman wrote key legal memos aimed at denying Democrat Joe Biden’s victory and later cited attorney-client privilege as a shield against turning over the documents sought by the committee, saying he was representing Trump at that time.

The committee had argued in its filing that Eastman’s claim of privilege was voided by the “crime/fraud exemption.” That exemption means communication between a lawyer and their client does not have to be kept confidential if the attorney is found to be helping the client commit a crime. To resolve the dispute, the committee asked Carter, the judge, to privately review the documents to see whether he thought Eastman had, in fact, been assisting Trump in criminal acts.

In the Wednesday filing, Carter concluded from the collective documents that Trump’s legal team currently “make clear that President Trump filed certain lawsuits not to obtain legal relief, but to disrupt or delay the Jan. 6 congressional proceedings through the courts.”

In one email, Eastman wrote that Trump signed paperwork for a lawsuit in Georgia on Dec. 1 but has “since been made aware that some of the allegations” in it are “inaccurate.” Eastman then wrote that for Trump to sign new paperwork for that lawsuit “with that knowledge (and incorporation by reference) would not be accurate.”

But, Carter wrote, “Trump and his attorneys ultimately filed the complaint” with the knowingly inaccurate numbers. Carter also wrote that Trump signed a legal document, under oath, attesting to the court in Georgia that the numbers “are true and correct” to the best of his knowledge.

Carter has ordered Eastman to disclose more than 30 documents sought by the House committee by 2 p.m. on Oct. 28.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

I bet Lindsay is crying right now:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

On 10/20/2022 at 8:17 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I bet Lindsay is crying right now:

If nothing else, making these people submit to the power of a court subpoena or, as in Bannon’s case, pursuing a contempt action, does make clear that these people are not above the law. I am happy to see lower AND higher courts smacking down these whiny and thin claims being made about why Sooner Speshul Snowflakes should be able to avoid having to testify.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

If nothing else, making these people submit to the power of a court subpoena or, as in Bannon’s case, pursuing a contempt action, does make clear that these people are not above the law. I am happy to see lower AND higher courts smacking down these whiny and thin claims being made about why Sooner Speshul Snowflakes should be able to avoid having to testify.  

He’s already cried to SCOTUS. 

• Upvote 5

If Clarence was ever unsure about what corruption looks like, he can just look in the mirror. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic