IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout Part 16: Public Hearings Are Underway

GreyhoundFan

Trial date for end of September that was set in May and now a new guy enters the ring and wants a continuance?  Good for Judge Mehta.  I like how he made a good record of the ongoing digital discovery being provided and then pretty openly called out Tarpley getting into the case.  I am pretty impressed with these judges.  They are fully understanding their tasks and are making sure to keep a tight reign on these jackasses while putting everything on the record for the inevitable appeals.  Bonus that Judge Mehta isn't caucasian so that has to really irritate Rhoades that his case is being run by someone he thinks is inferior to himself just because of skin color.  It sounds like Judge Mehta is proving Rhoades wrong over and over by showing that he is superior to Rhoades in every single way.  

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

Trial date for end of September that was set in May and now a new guy enters the ring and wants a continuance?  Good for Judge Mehta.  I like how he made a good record of the ongoing digital discovery being provided and then pretty openly called out Tarpley getting into the case.  I am pretty impressed with these judges.  They are fully understanding their tasks and are making sure to keep a tight reign on these jackasses while putting everything on the record for the inevitable appeals.  Bonus that Judge Mehta isn't caucasian so that has to really irritate Rhoades that his case is being run by someone he thinks is inferior to himself just because of skin color.  It sounds like Judge Mehta is proving Rhoades wrong over and over by showing that he is superior to Rhoades in every single way.  

Yeah I think he’s a little tired of the oaf keeper antics.  It would’ve been better if he had kept a cooler head but I don’t fault him for yelling at that other attorney for the crap she tried to pull 10 days before trial.

One thing I learned in law school was that we may not and don’t have to agree with the judge or opposing counsel. But we need to be polite and respectful. Even if they’re yelling at you don’t take the bait. It’s unprofessional to get into a shouting match in court and rarely if ever helps the client.  And it can shorten one’s legal career if the judge gets pissed off enough. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Such fine, upstanding citizens. 

The U.S. Capitol attack was a crime unlike any in American history. But for some of the defendants accused of crimes related to the riot, it's only been the beginning of their legal troubles.

A CBS News review of U.S. Justice Department court filings shows a growing number of Jan. 6 defendants have been arrested again, for subsequent crimes involving guns, drugs and domestic abuse. The new charges complicate their ability to secure lenient sentences in their cases related to the rioting on Jan. 6, 2021, and they potentially jeopardize attempts by other Capitol riot defendants to secure pretrial releases in their cases.

University of Maryland law professor Michael Greenberger said the unique politicization of the prosecutions related to Jan. 6, including by former President Donald Trump, increases the risk of recidivism by some of the defendants. Greenberger said the ongoing denials the 2020 election results by some political leaders and the talk of future pardons for Jan. 6 defendants by Trump "leaves these bad actors with little doubt that  they will ultimately be forgiven—if not lionized."

Greenberger said, "Reality, however, is likely to settle upon those guys  when they are ultimately sentenced or resentenced to many years in jail."

Especially for state level charges a GQP President couldn’t pardon.  

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Such fine, upstanding citizens. 

Especially for state level charges a GQP President couldn’t pardon.  

Well you know Trump only attracts the best people.

• Upvote 8

32 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Well you know Trump only attracts the best people.

Yeah like flies to orange manure.  When deciding whether or not to grant pretrial release judges do have to evaluate if the person will show up for trial, if they'll obey the conditions set, and whether they're a danger to the community (namely if they'll commit more crimes or not)?  These idiots just made life harder for all the defense attorneys defending these scum because they'll have to work extra hard now to convince the judge to order pretrial release.  Some attorneys will probably have to squirm because a judge will likely ask them awkward questions about why they should grant pretrial release or impose a lenient sentence on their clients given the January 6 terrorist track record. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Interesting recording:

image.png.8eaf74128cd4f2b9ee6fbb925daed7fd.png

I was horrified listening to the recording but after I had a few minutes to sit with it, the part about “this is what we trained for” came back to me and my apologies to every person who was hurt or had a loved one hurt or worse yet die defending the Capitol and Congressional members and staff but - those videos that surfaced of the Proud Boys or Oath Keepers (oaf keepers as @47of74 has coined them) went through my mind and I started laughing. I am so grateful things did not end up as they planned on Jan. 6 but I really do wonder how much of the failure was due to their ineptitude combined with Trump getting people not in on the plans all riled up so they also went to the Capitol and got in the way of the people with the plans. Then that stupid woman went too far, tried to break into the area that was being maintained despite warnings to stay back, got herself shot, and it all just fizzled from there. 

That recording is evidence gold. My guess is they all thought they were so clever using walkie-talkies but whoops- I guess those can be recorded and preserved! I really wonder what went through all their minds when the coup failed, the election results were certified, and they realized it all failed. The hissy fits throughout the country, especially in the Oval Office, must have been spectacular! 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

This doesn't surprise me:

Only the best.  They may have thought they'd be promoted to bullying the country after 1/6, and instead got to slink home/get arrested.  Some decided to not let their talents remain unused.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Boo fucking hoo:

If I was the judge I would have said if one was so dependent on Hardee's or Mickey D's food then don't do the crimes because neither of those establishments will deliver there.

Meanwhile Iowa Branch Trumpvidian Doug Jensen's trial begins next week

Testimony is set to begin Tuesday in the trial for the first Iowan charged in connection to the January 6th Capitol riot.

Doug Jensen could be seen on video inside the Capitol building during the riot.

He was chasing a Capitol police officer while wearing a “q-anon” shirt.

Jensen faces several charges, including assault, resisting or impeding a police officer, disorderly conduct, and violent entry into a capitol building.

I hope if he or his lawyers try any of the garbage the orange shit is trying now he and his lawyers get told to go fuck themselves by the judge.

• Upvote 6

Every time more stuff comes out I really wonder what they thought was going to happen, and if they were aware of all the camera evidence or just didn't care.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

48 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Every time more stuff comes out I really wonder what they thought was going to happen, and if they were aware of all the camera evidence or just didn't care.

They fully believed they would win and get to keep Trump on the presidential throne. Why care about any evidence?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

36 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Wow. 

What the bloody hell?  Who in the White House was calling a rioter?  It almost had to be someone connecting to one of the Proud Boys or the Oath Keepers.  They seemed to be the organizers.  Don Jr.?  Mark Meadows?

• Upvote 6

Iowa Branch Trumpvidian / Q Fuckstick Doug Jensen was found guilty of all the charges against him at trial

The Iowan who was one of the first rioters to enter the Capitol on January 6th, 2021, was found guilty on all seven criminal counts Friday.

Douglas Jensen had a folding knife in his pocket and was wearing a T-shirt expressing his adherence to the QAnon conspiracy theory when he joined the rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. One of the videos that went viral after the siege captured Jensen at the front of the crowd that followed Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman up the stairs.

“The defendant wasn’t just leading the mob. He was weaponizing it,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Hava Mirell said during closing arguments for Jensen’s trial. “He knew he had the numbers, and he was willing to use them.”

Sentencing is set for December.  Hopefully he'll be going away for a while.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

12 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Iowa Branch Trumpvidian / Q Fuckstick Doug Jensen was found guilty of all the charges against him at trial

Sentencing is set for December.  Hopefully he'll be going away for a while.

Once again reminding us all what an absolute hero Eugene Goodman was and is. The man stayed calm, was quick thinking, and took out the trash. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

"Ex-staffer’s unauthorized book about Jan. 6 committee rankles members"

News that a former adviser to the committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection is publishing a book billed as a “behind-the-scenes” look at the committee’s work came as a shock to most lawmakers and committee staff when it was announced last week.

Denver Riggleman, a former Republican congressman, is set to publish “The Breach” on Tuesday, just one day before the final public hearing of the Jan. 6 panel, which has gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent unauthorized leaks, as well as keep its sources and methods of investigation under wraps.

Riggleman’s book announcement came in the form of a tweet touting his upcoming appearance Sunday on “60 Minutes” as his first time speaking publicly about the book. Lawmakers and committee staff were largely unaware that the former staffer had spent the months since leaving the committee writing a book about his limited work on staff — or that it would be published before the conclusion of the committee’s investigation, according to people familiar with the matter who, like others interviewed by The Washington Post, spoke on the condition of anonymity to detail private conversations.

Senior staff previously confronted Riggleman after rumors circulated that he was working on a book about his work for the committee, according to a person close to the panel. In one exchange, Riggleman told colleagues he was writing a book on a topic unrelated to his committee work. In a later conversation, before his departure from the committee staff, Riggleman said he had been approached about writing a book related to the committee but that it would not be published before the end of this year.

The ex-congressman gave notice in April after assisting the panel for eight months, saying he was leaving to work at an unspecified nonprofit group related to Ukraine. Riggleman and his book agent did not respond to requests for comment.

Riggleman also bragged about the committee’s work publicly and gave interviews — an unusual move for a congressional staffer. Earlier this year, he told a crowd of “Never Trump” Republicans at the National Press Club that he would show through his committee work that the effort to overturn the election was “all about money,” and mocked several of the people under investigation.

He stood outside with a range of Trump critics and told them he had just gotten new phone records and that they would be “explosive.” He declined to say what they were, but his comments tantalized those around him.

“I wish I could tell you about it,” he said of the data he was reviewing for the committee. “If I did, you’d be more shocked than you could imagine.”

“It’s all about the money,” he said. “I’m going to rip apart their ecosystem.”

The appearances rattled others who worked with the committee, and Riggleman eventually drew some anger from Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), who had initially pushed for his hiring, according to people familiar with the matter.

Riggleman, who split his time between Washington and rural Virginia, where he owned a distillery, has described himself as being in charge of the committee’s work analyzing call records, texts and online activities of those involved in the attack on the U.S. Capitol. But people familiar with his role note that the phone records were just one small piece of the sprawling and comprehensive investigation. “The work of the committee is not built on the bedrock of Denver’s efforts,” said a person familiar with his role.

Committee staff members were infuriated by Riggleman’s cable news tour earlier this summer during which he revealed private details about the staff’s work, according to people involved with the investigation. In a committee-wide email, staff director David Buckley wrote that he was “deeply disappointed” in Riggleman’s decision to publicly discuss their work and that his appearance was “in direct contravention to his employment agreement.” “His specific discussion about the content of subpoenaed records, our contracts, contractors and methodologies, and your hard work is unnerving,” Buckley wrote at the time.

In one of his appearances on CNN, Riggleman detailed his team’s work to link names and numbers after receiving a cache of text messages from former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows. Calling the messages “a road map,” he contended the data obtained from the messages allowed the committee to “structure the investigation.” The cache of Meadows’s texts was obtained by CNN earlier this spring. The Post also obtained a tranche of Meadows’ texts in March.

Macmillan Publishers’ description of his forthcoming book, which Riggleman co-authored with journalist Hunter Walker, teases “previously unpublished texts from key political leaders,” along with “shocking details about the Trump White House’s links to militant extremist groups.”

In an excerpt released ahead of his interview on “60 Minutes,” Riggleman revealed that the White House switchboard connected a phone call to a Capitol rioter on Jan. 6, 2021. “You get a real aha moment when you see that the White House switchboard had connected to a rioter’s phone while it’s happening,” Riggleman told “60 Minutes.” “That’s a big, pretty big aha moment.”

Riggleman also addressed claims he made in the book that he pleaded with the committee to push harder to obtain specific White House phone numbers. “I was one of those individuals, sadly, at the beginning, you know, where I was very, very aggressive about these linked connections, getting those White House phone numbers,” said Riggleman.

A statement from the committee underscored Riggleman’s “limited knowledge” of the investigation and threw cold water on Riggleman’s suggestion that the committee was not pursuing evidence aggressively enough.

“He departed from the staff in April prior to our hearings and much of our most important investigative work,” wrote committee spokesman Tim Mulvey. “Since his departure, the Committee has run down all the leads and digested and analyzed all the information that arose from his work. We will be presenting additional evidence to the public in our next hearing this coming Wednesday, and a thorough report will be published by the end of the year.”

Committee member Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said on Sunday that the committee was “aware” of the call but could not say anything specific about it. “We are aware of lots of contacts between people in the White House and different people that were involved obviously in the coup attempt and the insurrection,” Raskin said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “And that’s really what all of our hearings have been about. You know, we’ve had more than 20 hours explaining that this was an organized, coordinated attempt to subvert the electoral process.”

The committee has yet to reveal the topic of its final hearing but is expected to reveal new information after resuming investigative efforts during August recess. The upcoming proceeding follows eight hearings held over June and July that laid out a gripping and detailed account of efforts by Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

“Some of the information we have found to various issues we’ll be presenting to the public for the first time in the hearing coming up,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday. “It will be the usual mix of information in the public domain and new information woven together to tell the story about one key thematic element of Donald Trump’s effort to overturn the election.”

Lawmakers on the panel had previously said they hoped to unearth more information around the Secret Service and Defense Department’s response to the Jan. 6 attack after the committee learned that the two agencies wiped communications from phones of former and current officials.

Investigators also interviewed some of Trump’s Cabinet secretaries — including Mike Pompeo, Steven Mnuchin, Robert O’Brien and Elaine Chao — regarding internal conversations following the insurrection about invoking the 25th Amendment, which provides for the removal of a president on grounds of incapacitation, mental health or physical fitness.

• Thank You 3

The 1/6 hearing for tomorrow has been postponed.  A member of the committee is from Florida and that was the reason that they used.

It's also coming to light just exactly how involved Stone is in this whole plot.  He met early on with Proud Boys and Oath Keepers and he's the one who brought Mike Flynn on board.  Apparently, he's in the video that they're going to show during the next hearing and he's talking about how they're going to declare the election invalid and use violence.

I hope they stick that smarmy little fucker under the jail.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Another fuck stick terrorist from Iowa is going away for a while 

An Iowa man who admitted to taking part in the assault of a police officer as part of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol was sentenced to seven years in prison Tuesday after the judge called him one of the most serious offenders on that day.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson called Kyle Young a “one man wrecking ball” as she sentenced him to prison. She gave him credit for the 17 months he’s been held since his arrest, meaning he likely will serve nearly six years in prison.

Jusge should’ve told him he got off light and that if a certain former Iowan had their way she’d go for a walk around a couple hundred blocks and leave him to said certain former Iowan, my dad, and my family for disgracing Iowa.  

• Upvote 3

How awful. I wish the scumbag got much more than seven years.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic