IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 46: Counting On - 16 Weeks Until Sentencing

HerNameIsBuffy

2 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

There is no way they can be worse than Bret Alan Smith II and his mommy and daddy. Cap'n Bret supported and defended an actual child rapist and threw his many grandchildren and other daughters away in order to protect Alan. The Smiths are much worse than the Duggars believe it or not.

I think they are equally abhorrent. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I can’t believe it’s finally over, and justice has been done. I’ve followed the threads here but not commented; I was too nervous that he’d beat it, being a white male. I just wish I’d been here for the verdict as it came out!

• Upvote 15
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JillRodsEyeliner said:

So he's now in jail? He can't be bailed out?

Not a chance!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 5

48 minutes ago, St.Clara said:

From the last thread, by @metheglyn:

Hide contents

The prosecution starts speaking at 13:06

Although I had initially felt rather confident that Josh would go to prison I was somewhat shocked when I learnt this morning (time difference, in the US it was the middle of the night still) that the jury had not made a decision yet.

Watching the press conference of the prosecution I cannot help but wonder how all those people must have felt who have been working on this case, some for over two years. If the wait was difficult for me, it must have been so much worse for them. It is so clear that this case was immensely important to them and that they took it personally. They have done the research, they have made the decisions in how to present the case. While they were waiting for the verdict they probably asked themselves for the hundredth time if they should have looked into this part of the investigation some more, if they should have given a longer or shorter explanation on this or that point or if they should maybe have called another witness. They must have felt very worried that in spite of everything they did they might have done something wrong or omitted one tiny little bit that might end up leading to a hung jury. I wonder how much sleep they got last night.

I feel so incredibly grateful that they all worked together so tirelessly and finally succeeded in winning this case for all of us.

I think what both drives and haunts ethical prosecutors the most is the victims. 

• Upvote 12

18 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

@Galbin I want you to know before I say anything else - I am not jumping on you with this comment. But I was a little disturbed about the Kyle Rittenhouse comment in the last thread and I did not get a chance to comment before it closed. I understand why you would change your mind about Rittenhouse based on the trial but that trial was a travesty. The judge was clearly biased for the defense and made a lot of bad rulings. In fact, if the prosecution had the right to appeal the way it does in other countries, I think his rulings would have been squashed. Dropping the gun charge was a flagrant slap to the actual law - it was illegal for Rittenhouse to have that gun at his age in that state. There were a lot of rulings that were stunningly pro defense and tilted the trial. What really stunned me is that he excluded a video blow up of the incident that seemed to demonstrate that Rittenhouse WAS the aggressor because the judge thought it was "altered". This seems to be a pattern with this judge. He is well-known as a defendant's judge. He does not allow the prosecution to use the word "victim" for the murdered! Frankly, I think Rittenhouse's mother should be on trial for driving her son across state lines and buying him weapons. The problem with the Rittenhouse case was some weirdness in the Wisconsin law and a flagrantly pro-defense judge (and like I said, the guy has that reputation and has for a long time). Rittenhouse did murder those people and he was not in any danger other than the danger he and his mother put him in themselves by being somewhere they should not have been.

We will agree to disagree. He worked in that city and his father lived there. Furthermore, he went there to protect a garage owner's property as he had lost so many cars the night before. I have watched that video and it absolutely looks like he was being attacked - especially with the skateboard shot to the head. 

I do however agree that a teenager should not have access to weapons.

I just find it insane that these white vs white killings were turned into a race issue. I feel it does a tremendous disservice to people like George Flyod and Eric Garner who were killed due to overzealous and narcassistic cops. 

• Upvote 10
  • Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 10
  • Downvote 10
  • Disgust 2
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • WTF 3

14 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Agreed. That judge inserted Himself into the verdict unnecessarily. As soon as he disallowed the gun charges, that case was sunk.

It was a very badly written law. Blame the legislature, not the judge.  The judge really had no choice.  Unless the barrel of gun was too short then the law didn't apply.

• Upvote 7

I hope that some of the kids take stock of their lives, and Sue for a lifetime amount of pay from JB, especially Joy and Austin.  Like Jill and Derrick did, as pretty soon them lawyers fees are going to take it all.. 

Edited by Jrodseyeliner
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

I feel relieved that Josh was found guilty and sad that JB&M aren't being held more to account, somehow.  I wish JB would stfu and especially not be running for office.  The nerve of him.  Dear Rufus, may the voters have a clue and not put him into a position of power.

I imagine that Josh is realizing, or will be shortly, that any near-term hopes and dreams of his are irrelevant now.  Sentencing will likely be in years and months, per guidelines, and what Josh wants doesn't matter anymore.

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

Hey Everyone!  Just an update on the organization that supports kids and their families who have experienced physical and sexual abuse.  Yesterday they had said they'd raised $5000 and today it is up to $12000.  Also, their amazon wishlist was then completely bought out and they restocked it and now that is close to being completely bought.  Here's the link to the update if you're interested: 

.  Thanks to everyone who donated!

Oh gosh, it suddenly became very misty in my house ❤ Thank you to everyone who organised this.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 10

11 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

This is an excellent podcast. Season 2, about the Curtis Flowers case, is even better. If you haven't heard it, it's well worth a listen. It's an outrageous case of injustice... the D.A. couldn't get a conviction so he retried him six times while Curtis was kept in prison for decades. If this podcast hadn't gone viral, Curtis would probably still be in prison today.

Curtis Flowers was convicted multiple times and the convictions were overturned because of the actions of the DA disallowing black jury members.  One time there was a hung jury and there happened to be one black juror.  Right after the announcement of the hung jury, the DA had that juror arrested for perjury.  The Flowers case is horrible and an example of everything that can go wrong in our judicial system.  It makes me sick when I would read about it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3

I’m really hoping he gets in the 15 year range. 

5 years, and Madyson will be 5 and Mackenzie won’t yet be 18, I think. They’ll still have actual “kids”, and I think Anna might stay with him. 

15 years? Madyson will be a 15 year old whose only ever seen her dad in prison visits. He will probably have missed the older kids weddings and probably the birth of a couple grandkids. I can’t imagine her not coming to her senses at some point if it’s that long.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

For some lightheartedness, I have done some investigative journalism of my own inspired by the baffling call for 1/4 Cup Green Bell Pepper in the Chicken Etti Recipe. We're still doing corn beef hash but with some red bell pepper and Partner Antimony requested we see how much of a bell pepper is accounted for in 1/4 cup.

I give you The Recommended Amount in Chicken Etti and then The Rest;20211209_173140.thumb.jpg.27c41ec173df864a60f840c28f03c4ac.jpg

It begs the question - what the hell did Anna do with the rest of the bell pepper?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 43

Emily D Baker is discussing possible sentencing right now. She's predicting somewhere in the 8-12 year range. 15 years if the judge really thinks he needs the book thrown at him. She thinks the maximum of 20 is incredibly unlikely. 
I haven't followed her for long so I'm not sure how credible she is though.
I hope for 19 years, only for the brand of course.
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Carrots said:

Oh gosh, it suddenly became very misty in my house ❤ Thank you to everyone who organised this.

If you want to increase the mist, on the reddit thread there are people who are donating in the name of other redditors who aren't in a financial place to donate.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 25

@AussieKrissy, It's good to see you here and I'm celebrating with you. Such great news for you to wake up to!! I hope the occasional wet blankets don't keep you from posting!

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

9 minutes ago, Antimony said:

For some lightheartedness, I have done some investigative journalism of my own inspired by the baffling call for 1/4 Cup Green Bell Pepper in the Chicken Etti Recipe. We're still doing corn beef hash but with some red bell pepper and Partner Antimony requested we see how much of a bell pepper is accounted for in 1/4 cup.

I give you The Recommended Amount in Chicken Etti and then The Rest;20211209_173140.thumb.jpg.27c41ec173df864a60f840c28f03c4ac.jpg

It begs the question - what the hell did Anna do with the rest of the bell pepper?

To be honest, my 3 children would have eaten the rest of those bell peppers while I was cutting the 1/4 cup, can’t imagine what 7 children starved of vegetables would manage…

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

As for Anna- for now she will be the martyred wife - no idea what her long term future is but if David Waller is in charge of her, she won’t be going anywhere.

I don’t know if JB or David Waller/Pa Keller will be stepping in for Josh. I think JB obviously will be financially providing for them. I think JB fears Anna will divorce after detoxing from Josh as he is in jail.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 9

But seriously, what’s up with the lack of statements from the Duggars? They must have foreseen at least the possibility of a quilty verdict, couldn’t they have prepared something for us? They manage to delete Facebook comments, so it’s not that they are busy side hugging and grieving…

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

And I find this really rude. And for Krissy it is 7:44 am on Friday. She is just getting up and checking things out. She has never been disingenuous and you don't know how her device is set up to read FJ.

thank you 

that is so nice of you you made me cry happy tears, I needed a pick me up today after a long week and the josh guilty verdict was it and your comment was the cherry on top.

I responded to Bluebird before I noticed how people reacted to her post and read through people defending me. Thank you all. you made me feel lovely good ju ju to you all on this great day where justice was done.

On another note has it come up how much JB will invest in appeals or do you think he is done? 

Any legal eagles know or care to predict what the defences next move will be?

• Upvote 12
  • Love 27

Just a bit of history: Jack Schaap (now ex-SIL of the late Jack Hyles and formerly of HAC and FBCHammond) was found guilty of transporting a minor across state lines for sex, maybe in 2013/2014-ish in federal court. The recommended sentence for what he was charged with was 10 years and the judge sentenced him to 12 or 12-1/2 years. His wife of 30 years divorced him. I think he has about a year and a half remaining to serve on that sentence.

Federal sentencing is not really like state sentencing.

I guess time will tell how much Josh gets sentenced with.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic