IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 46: Counting On - 16 Weeks Until Sentencing

HerNameIsBuffy

Ok I just woke up. I can’t finish a full thread, I’m skimming it. Did the jury come back? Is he guilty? Please tell Me!!!!

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AussieKrissy said:

Ok I just woke up. I can’t finish a full thread, I’m skimming it. Did the jury come back? Is he guilty? Please tell Me!!!!

Not only guilty but cuffed and taken into custody immediately!  It's a good day!

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 9

Hallelujah for justice being served today!  

That said, for those of you more knowledgeable than me on all things legal, is it possible that JB and M could be held accountable for allowing the abuse of their daughters to continue for several years in their home?  Bobye’s testimony was pretty damning.  This wasn’t a one or two time deal, it was years of him getting away with the abuse and years of the daughters having to live in the same home as their abuser.  Even though this happened a long time ago, since it all just came to full light, can they be held accountable somehow?  

I hope CPS visits not only Josh’s kids, but the younger J kids as well.

Also, since his deviant proclivities seemed to be with girls / women, is it safe to assume the boys in the home were not subjected to his abuse?  

• Upvote 9

Interesting that when he knew cameras would be on him and trying to figure out what his emotions were, he wore a mask, but in the booking, he took it off. Wear a mask to protect others = abuse by the government of the highest order. Wear a mask to protect onesself from scrutiny = sure, why not.

• Upvote 17

2 minutes ago, SimplyMe said:

Hallelujah for justice being served today!  

That said, for those of you more knowledgeable than me on all things legal, is it possible that JB and M could be held accountable for allowing the abuse of their daughters to continue for several years in their home?  Bobye’s testimony was pretty damning.  This wasn’t a one or two time deal, it was years of him getting away with the abuse and years of the daughters having to live in the same home as their abuser.  Even though this happened a long time ago, since it all just came to full light, can they be held accountable somehow?  

I hope CPS visits not only Josh’s kids, but the younger J kids as well.

Also, since his deviant proclivities seemed to be with girls / women, is it safe to assume the boys in the home were not subjected to his abuse?  

Nope - statute of limitations has run out.  :( 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 1

Emily D Baker is discussing possible sentencing right now. She's predicting somewhere in the 8-12 year range. 15 years if the judge really thinks he needs the book thrown at him. She thinks the maximum of 20 is incredibly unlikely. 

I haven't followed her for long so I'm not sure how credible she is though.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10

So now we wait for the dust to settle and who says what.

I don’t expect any sort of humility or contrition from JB- he’s probably still whining about the router and he will redouble his election campaign. His belief in himself is astounding.

Michelle will dab her eyes and follow him. Who else is with him? My guess is Jana, Jason, Jed and Justin - encouraged by the Spiveys.

Who will make any sort of condemnation statement? Jill, possibly Joy.

Jessa, Jinger, JD, Josiah and the rest- say nothing and continue with their own thing.

As for Anna- for now she will be the martyred wife - no idea what her long term future is but if David Waller is in charge of her, she won’t be going anywhere.

• Upvote 16

12 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I find this disingenuous considering it's literally the title of the last thread and there are pages and pages of people celebrating. It's also the first thing that comes up when you google Duggar.

• Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 33
  • Eyeroll 10
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Emily D Baker is discussing possible sentencing right now. She's predicting somewhere in the 8-12 year range. 15 years if the judge really thinks he needs the book thrown at him. She thinks the maximum of 20 is incredibly unlikely. 

I think he will get 10 years. 

• I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Now if we can get some guilty verdicts on the Maxwell/Epstein trial, this will be a fantastic couple of weeks for overdue justice served. Haven’t been following that case as closely, but the more caught the better!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

Just now, TuringMachine said:

8-12 matches the general consensus and the math we could do for ourselves with what knowledge we have using the guidelines document. I think I did this many, many, many, threads ago and got 11-13 years, which is close. There's a good post on the Reddit by a prosecutor about other information, to which we will not be privy, that might be a factor;

Now that the jury has returned a guilty verdict...here are some things that will happen before sentencing. He's already been remanded into custody, which doesn't always happen.

He will meet with a federal probation officer so that the officer can complete Sentencing Guidelines. These will take many things into account--his age, education level, the severity of the images in question, the age of the victims in the CSAM, his history of abuse, etc. The probation officer may interview members of his family. Once the officer completes sentencing guidelines, they will have a recommended sentence for the judge to consider. This is to help ensure that people around the country receive roughly similar sentences for similar crimes. The judge can go above or below the guidelines as he feels appropriate, but must provide a justification for doing so.

The prosecution may ask for a psychosexual evaluation. This evaluation would be done by a qualified professional (informally called a "sexpert"), who will "examine" Josh to determine his risk of offending in the future, and potentially what risk category to assign him on the sex offender registry.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 21

Just now, TuringMachine said:

Duggar Data broke it down really well, they seem to have reliable knowledge of the subject. They thought 14 years.

https://duggardata.tumblr.com/

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

From the last thread, by @metheglyn:

Spoiler

The prosecution starts speaking at 13:06

Although I had initially felt rather confident that Josh would go to prison I was somewhat shocked when I learnt this morning (time difference, in the US it was the middle of the night still) that the jury had not made a decision yet.

Watching the press conference of the prosecution I cannot help but wonder how all those people must have felt who have been working on this case, some for over two years. If the wait was difficult for me, it must have been so much worse for them. It is so clear that this case was immensely important to them and that they took it personally. They have done the research, they have made the decisions on how to present the case. While they were waiting for the verdict they probably asked themselves for the hundredth time if they should have looked into this part of the investigation some more, if they should have given a longer or shorter explanation on this or that point or if they should maybe have called another witness. They must have felt very worried that in spite of everything they did they might have done something wrong or omitted one tiny little bit that might end up leading to a hung jury. I wonder how much sleep they got last night.

I feel so incredibly grateful that they all worked together so tirelessly and finally succeeded in winning this case for all of us.

Edited by St.Clara
grammar, make a decision on sth., not in sth.
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 8

14 minutes ago, Galbin said:

And here is his booking video to cheer you right up.

Hide contents

I can't believe that clip was released and shown on the news. Is that a common thing?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Nope - statute of limitations has run out.  :( 

Damn, I figured that was probably the case, but it still sucks.  I do hope this is enough to prompt a CPS visit though.  Goodness knows what other abuses are happening in that home. 

For example - what is up with the claim that they flew an M child to a friend in Texas rather than take them to the hospital?  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I've thought about this and do genuinely feel pity (but no respect) for Anna.  I may have many thoughts on what she should have done but in the end she didn't do them and is perhaps like many women who have a dependency on their abusers.  But, what I really sorry for is her three oldest children who were born before the molestation/Ashley Madison public info, they are old enough to know something is going on with their father in prison until they are into their 20's, old enough to hear what is being said about their father, and old enough to remember having their father consistently in their lives.  The molestation/Madison event took place before the younger children were born and they may not have had a father who was as present in their lives along with being too young to really understand it all.  Unfortunately for all of them there will be a spin put on all of this and given the past, will not get any professional counseling.  It's all a very sad situation and may have been preventable had Josh gotten the professional help he needed so many years ago.  i hope Anna has the opportunity to grieve for what she dreamed her life would be like, accept the nightmare it is right now and the courage to move on and create a different life for her and her children.

• Upvote 21

2 minutes ago, Clementine said:

I can't believe that clip was released and shown on the news. Is that a common thing?

Probably falls under the kind of public information you can FOIA, or similiar. It's uncommon but like...most people just don't care enough to request booking videos of any random booking. 

• Upvote 4

Just got out of my final meeting of the day, and I couldn't finish the last thread. 

HOLY CRAP ON A TATER TOT!!!! I AM SO RELIVED 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 12

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic