IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 42: Prosecution Rested. After His Conviction Maybe We Can, Too

HerNameIsBuffy

6 minutes ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

I am genuinely looking forward to hearing the closing statements from the defence. Seriously, they barely have enough to pull together a coherent sentence from their 'expert' witness. What could they possibly try and summarize from all of this? 

Aliens?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 23

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Sadly, this is unlikely.  He likely will have a presentence review/report done and will be free until February or March. 

We need a Dammit emoji.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 14

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Sadly, this is unlikely.  He likely will have a presentence review/report done and will be free until February or March. 

Wait, What?!? This is horrible! Maybe the Reber's will develop a backbone after a guilty verdict and refuse to take him back. 

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It seems so. Was that all boob could afford? 

What a flimsy defense. I can’t believe Josh just didn’t take a deal.  The Smug is strong with that one 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Heidijoey said:

When all this is said and done and the dust settles I hope people remember who showed up to support Josh and if they ever try to do any sort of sponsored content that the masses come out messaging the company in hopes they drop them.

To be fare, we don't know who is supporting who unless they make a statement. Many may be supporting Anna or Jill/Jed (in case they were called to testify) or just there to hear the facts.  Being present or being civil to Josh does not necessarily equate to support.  

I feel like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  Last week they were getting blasted for not attending to hear what Josh did. Now they get blasted for attending and 'supporting' Josh.  They are not the bad guys here. They were dealt the crappy hand in life to have Boob and Michelle as parents and Josh as a brother.  

Until one of them comes out and publicity supports Josh I am going to reserve my hate for Smuggar, himself.

• Upvote 26
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 9

Also, as far as the trial goes, the prosecution could call rebuttal witnesses.  Then of course there are closing arguments.  But after the closing arguments, they also have to do the jury charge.  It can take a while to do that.  They also may spend time arguing over what the judge will charge the jury on.  So I doubt they will be deliberating today, but they definitely could be tomorrow.  I don’t think the deliberations will take more than two or three hours.  I’m not a lawyer, but was a court reporter for many years and am familiar with the process of a jury trial.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 11

There once was a fellow named Josh

Who looked at his screen and said "Gosh"

What is all that there?

I surely don't care

Then went to the can for a wash

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 20
  • Love 1

Since the jury hasn't been sequestered, once the case goes to them I believe they won't be allowed to leave until they return a verdict. That was the case for me - we heard testimony for three days and could go home the first two nights, but that third night we would have stayed in the deliberation room until we reached a verdict, even if it went on for days itself. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Aliens?

Yes, the same aliens who built the pyramids and invented liberals also came back to destroy the life of a family-values Christian man.

Those ungodly extra-terrestrials!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Heidijoey said:

How does the jury work ? I don’t watch legal type shows and have never had jury duty. Do they deliberate first or cast guilty not guilty first and deliberate from there ?

It's been a while since I was on a jury but I seem to remember that we took a quick poll first just to see where people were starting from.  I was on a civil trial where you don't need all 12 jurors to agree and also can assign partial guilt to both sides which made it easier I think to come to an agreement.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

What a flimsy defense. I can’t believe Josh just didn’t take a deal.  The Smug is strong with that one 

I hope this all plays into sentencing. He literally wasted the people’s time and money. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Heidijoey said:

How does the jury work ? I don’t watch legal type shows and have never had jury duty. Do they deliberate first or cast guilty not guilty first and deliberate from there ?

They will go to deliberate and how they handle it is up to them. When I was on a jury we talked first then voted.  They won’t vote first in front of the court. 

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

So he and his family had to go back to Arkansas to a house that was not on the compound? How long did he stay there before he moved his family into the warehouse? Was there ever any explanation. I wonder if there was yet more acting out by Josh so they had to move him closer, where they could keep better track of him.

I’ve always thought that there might have been some incident that shortened his leash. The other possibility is that he’s too lazy (and, uh, distracted) to make much $ from the car lot, so he sold the house because he needed the money, then threw himself on JB’s mercy.

• Upvote 5

Did they know? Did Anna, JB or the siblings know how weak the defense would be? Or do you think Josh told them he was going to ace this? Will they be stunned right now ore have they been grieving already and was the laughing and joking the Sun reported about the kind of after-funeral relief?

• Upvote 5

Dear Rufus in your name  I pray. Bring justice to all victims of the unspeakable hurt brought upon them by Josh and all who are like him. Bless and keep these dear ones safe. 

And while you are at it, bring suffering on JBoob and his first spawn son. 

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 24
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Back when I was in grad school, I had a teacher who had a page LIMIT. He would say, “any more than blank number of pages is just BS.” I loved it. Because I’m the type of person who gets straight to the point on all my papers. No extra BS. 

I never gave number of page assignments.  I gave number of words assignments.  And I always had a word limit also.  For example, a “short” paper was “600-800 words, do not go over 1000.”  I explained that I expected the average student to do well with 800 words, but that less than 600 was just poor development and more than 1000 was just poor planning. 

Some students, especially from high school, ask for page limits and sometimes try to “pad” with bigger fonts and or spacing or margins. I stopped it by requiring the number of words. (Computers can tell you, but an easy check is to figure an average word count per page and count the pages.) 

The biggest form of “padding” is still quotations or repetition of unnecessary data. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I have seen cases where the jury was not sequestered during the trial, but then was sequestered during deliberations.  I’ve also sat in court until 1:00 in the morning once while a jury deliberated, because they didn’t want to come back the next day.

• Upvote 11

I do not believe for one second that Derrick Dillard has been attending court daily to support Josh.  Nor do I believe Austin has.

I actually question the thoughts of all the Duggars we've seen there before today.  We don't know why any of them went.  Some were to support Josh, but others may have been pretending or there for their own reasons.

Today its JB approved, but even now, its not for Josh.  Its for the family image.  Its because JB says jump.

I don't know if anyone is there for Josh other than Josh.  Even Anna could be there for the image and because she's been told to be.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 9

26 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Did they only have one witness?

I'm guessing that had at least one more since we don't have any info yet for what was presented after lunch.  It does tell me that if they did their testimony was short so it seems most of their defense is relying on their expert witness.  

• Upvote 3

So the defence opening remarks about presenting some sort of whodunnit mystery didn’t really happen. I don’t think Agatha Christie’s publishers will be worried.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 32
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Until one of them comes out and publicity supports Josh I am going to reserve my hate for Smuggar, himself.

You do you, but I think JD having him as a groomsman and letting his baby ride on the float with his folks in the recent parade, and Jana staying to raise her parents kids with their methods is enough for me to say they suck.

The victims choices I won't touch, they have a right to deal with their pain in anyway they need to, but some frankly I'm tired of people who are over 30 getting the benefit of the doubt while they are clearly, obviously, supporting the brand.  

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

some whodunnit they had there.....smh

I keep hearing Giorgio Tsoukalos' voice in my head:

"One has to wonder" before he spouts off a bunch of unrelated facts that actually prove nothing.

I really can't believe this one flimsy witness is all they had.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ms. Squishels said:

I had to skip through a lot of this, but a while back someone mentioned wondering about what Josh is thinking in court.  I too have been thinking about what is going on in his head.  I am curious about a few things.  One, is he enjoying the attention?  Is that how narcissists work?  And since he obviously doesn’t love or care about his wife at all, is he enjoying the pain that she must be going through?  Does he have any concern at all for what this will do to his children?  Is he enjoying the downfall of Jim Bob and Michelle?  I wonder also if he truly thinks he’s not going to jail.  I enjoy hearing everyone’s take on the physocology of Josh!  It’s very interesting to me.

I think it is important to remember he views children in a way completely unlike probably 98% (99.999%?)of the human population views children so it's next to impossible to hypothesize how he considers the impacts of his actions on them. Ditto his wife/women/intimate partners.    I am no expert in psychology but I think even people highly skilled would find him something of a case study.  All the factors which converge to have created his life experiences, including his religion, growing up on TV, the confusion he would have had instilled in him between the profound and the mundane, the commodification of spirituality, the objectification of children (putting them on TV as props to make a point, hell, conceiving them as props to make a point!), the confusion between chastity and hyper-focus on "courting" and making babies, exploitation of ideology for money.  Etc. etc.  it is really fascinating and very very dark. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

They will go to deliberate and how they handle it is up to them. When I was on a jury we talked first then voted.  They won’t vote first in front of the court. 

When I was on jury duty we usually did a first vote to see where everyone stood and then we discussed each piece of evidence or why we thought they were guilty or not guilty.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic