IGNORED

Blast from the Past ... Chelsea Pomeroy

danvillebelle

If you think about it it’s actually sort of mean to do this because it reinforces stereotypes that all older people are infirm, dress funnily, use walkers, etc. I use a walker sometimes and I’m 73 years from being 100. 
I also didn’t understand if they actually called 911 when a kid got hurt by another or if that was a make believe scene.

Good thing George is growing up where the women are expected to be doormats, because he’d have a hard time finding a wife otherwise. My uncle has 3 older sisters and was treated like a god by his parents growing up. My mom has explained to me how he never had to do any chores, had everything handed to him, no responsibilities, etc. He grew up to be *that* uncle, the one who everyone dislikes but nobody says anything to. He lives alone, has no retirement plan, no long term partner ever, and is lucky that one of my cousins welcomes him into their family on holidays because nobody else would. Let’s just hope George has better fashion sense. My uncle still wears a suit from decades ago that resembles 2 year old George’s - blue and white striped seersucker, faded and wrinkled by now - at every warm weather occasion, wedding, etc. Every time we hope he won’t show up in ‘that suit’ - every time he does.

• Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They aren’t the only school that does this. I’ve seen other schools have kids dress like they are 100 for the 100th day of school. We are having a food drive for the 100th day of school. I much prefer that. 

Really? What a strange thing to do. I'd much prefer the food.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

If you think about it it’s actually sort of mean to do this because it reinforces stereotypes that all older people are infirm, dress funnily, use walkers, etc. I use a walker sometimes and I’m 73 years from being 100. 

I’m in my late 50s and also use a walker, at least for the time being. I had spinal surgery several months ago and have been more dependent than I’d like on walkers and wheelchairs for the past year. I would kill to be able to walk without one. Seeing Chelsea use them for cosplay feels like a slap in the face to the people I met in rehab, some of them quite young, who couldn’t stand up without aid. 

The whole “dress like old people” concept feels off, even without Chelsea taking it to the extreme with wigs and walkers. I don’t know any so-called old people who dress like that. 30 years ago, my grandmother might occasionally have done so, but she would have been offended at being stereotyped in that way. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

@postscript okay thank you for validating my feelings and saying what I felt much better than I did. I didn’t want to be overreacting it’s just that I don’t know about you but I hate the pity looks I get when using a cane/walker. I hate the way people speak to me in a voice meant for 2 year olds. On the other hand, sitting down in the middle of the grocery checkout line is, I’ve found, frowned upon, so sometimes I’ve no choice

Does George even have any clothes that aren’t pastels? I wonder what age he will need to be to be allowed bright colors. The girls used to wear fuchsia and turquoise and sunshiny yellow but in recent years their clothes are just as fancy, but more conservative. At least they don’t wear those headbands thingies that look like giant menstrual pads anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

@postscript okay thank you for validating my feelings and saying what I felt much better than I did. I didn’t want to be overreacting it’s just that I don’t know about you but I hate the pity looks I get when using a cane/walker. I hate the way people speak to me in a voice meant for 2 year olds. On the other hand, sitting down in the middle of the grocery checkout line is, I’ve found, frowned upon, so sometimes I’ve no choice

Does George even have any clothes that aren’t pastels? I wonder what age he will need to be to be allowed bright colors. The girls used to wear fuchsia and turquoise and sunshiny yellow but in recent years their clothes are just as fancy, but more conservative. At least they don’t wear those headbands thingies that look like giant menstrual pads anymore.

I agree 100%. I find people tend to treat me like a little old lady, which I’m not. For example, I’ve needed a lot of housekeeping help since I can’t manage stairs unassisted. My regular person was away yesterday so I had a substitute. When I greeted her at the door, her first question was “have you eaten breakfast?” and her second was “Have you taken your meds?” Uh, you don’t need to remind me of that. I have spinal stenosis, not Alzheimer’s. My mind is working fine (other than depression, but that’s another issue). 

• WTF 2
  • Love 15

What else is interesting about the 100 post is that oldest daughter is not in the pic. She mentions that she didn't want to dress up. SHOCKED that this was allowed.

• Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

What else is interesting about the 100 post is that oldest daughter is not in the pic. She mentions that she didn't want to dress up. SHOCKED that this was allowed.

I'm more shocked she'd admit it!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Is it just me or is this very very strange. Nicole mentioned the middle two girls (who are roughly 4&6) weren’t told about the new baby until Tuesday, the day she was born. And people in the comments were shocked she was pregnant. Teachers who work at her childrens school, church members etc. 

who on earth hides a pregnancy up to the day you give birth? I have a 4&7 year old and not only is it very obvious I am pregnant we are preparing them for the baby and well. Everyone I know in real life knows? 

So is she embarrassed she’s having a baby so soon after another? That’s she’s having 5 girls? What could it possibly be?

• Upvote 10

Yes, that is very, very strange. The NYTimes (I think) recently had an article about how people are able to not tell about their pregnancies while working from home but that was different. People who see you in person can usually tell. If the kids are taught to never question adults and not anything about the facts of life, then I can see a 4 and 7 year old missing it - depends on how much weight was gained, how much throwing up was done, etc. But you’d think she’d want to announce the pregnancy so she could put her feet up more.

My last nibling has 2 school aged siblings and not only did they know, they helped prepare, went to the baby shower, had opinions on gender, decorations, everything. Preparing for babies is fun for many people, including myself. Really, really weird.

And is Nicole’s Instagram or whatever public and in that case, where is it please? I can only find the old, private one.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

7 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Is it just me or is this very very strange. Nicole mentioned the middle two girls (who are roughly 4&6) weren’t told about the new baby until Tuesday, the day she was born. And people in the comments were shocked she was pregnant. Teachers who work at her childrens school, church members etc. 

who on earth hides a pregnancy up to the day you give birth? I have a 4&7 year old and not only is it very obvious I am pregnant we are preparing them for the baby and well. Everyone I know in real life knows? 

So is she embarrassed she’s having a baby so soon after another? That’s she’s having 5 girls? What could it possibly be?

For some very religious people, talking about a pregnancies is frowned upon because it essentially acknowledges that the couple/woman had sex. So it is seen as more modest to remain silent. And once the baby has arrived, you can focus on the “blessing from God” and whatnot so that’s a different matter and is more acceptable then. Also, you can’t hide the kid so there’s that… 

I’ve also recently learned some stuff about communities like the Bruderhof (I reckon we have a thread about them here) where women aren’t allowed to discuss a pregnancy cause it would be seen as “prideful” and they are to be meek, modest, and not gloat. And obviously, talking about one’s body and looking forward to a child is immodest gloating 🙄 So they aren’t allowed to talk about it for this reason. 

Maybe one of the two explanations is the reason Nicole didn’t announce her pregnancy? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 3

I think apostolic Pentecostals aren’t against announcing pregnancies. I imagine she just didn’t tell because it was so close to the last pregnancy. People can be judgy when you have babies super close together. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

@Milly-Molly-Mandy, this brings up memories of children’s stories I read in the ‘50s, where kids were sent off to spend a weekend with Grandma or something, and came home to—surprise!!!—a new baby sibling. This was the era of Lucille Ball having to tiptoe delicately around CBS’s fragile sensibilities in order to show her pregnancy on her show.

I can imagine, though, that there are little kids clueless enough not to notice a mom’s pregnancy, or too intimidated to mention her bodily changes.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think apostolic Pentecostals aren’t against announcing pregnancies. I imagine she just didn’t tell because it was so close to the last pregnancy. People can be judgy when you have babies super close together. 

They definitely aren’t as I follow so many of them from her church and they have big ‘gender reveals’ baby showers etc. A pregnancy is usually documented and celebrated. So bizarre. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

They definitely aren’t as I follow so many of them from her church and they have big ‘gender reveals’ baby showers etc. A pregnancy is usually documented and celebrated. So bizarre. 

I think they aren’t usually quiverful. And if you use some sort of NFP, I’m betting they are all about perfectly spaced children. As if all people have total control over that. Infertility is a thing. Anyway. I could see people who believe in NFP looking down their noses at a woman who had two babies very close together. Even if they do think all babies are blessings. They may be judgy about the timing. 

• Upvote 5

On 1/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I love all her names as well, this one was just not quite the theme I was expecting. Every Elizabeth I know is called Liz. Maybe they will call her Betsy? 
Her last two babies have only been 5lbl 13oz so tiny! 

Maybe the nickname can be Bitty!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

41 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

Maybe the nickname can be Bitty!

Gd#2 is Elizabeth, mostly called Liz or Lizzy (both are her preference). I call her Beth, or Bet. She's also been known as Lizzybet, little bit (she's tiny!, 4'9", 80 pounds at 12) el, ellie, izzy and many more I'm forgetting. It's definitely a name made for nicknames! 

• Upvote 3

I wondered if they had some worrisome test results early in the pregnancy. If they were concerned about miscarriage, stillbirth , or a serious medical issue they may have only shared the pregnancy with very close friends and not on social media. 

Frankly, no person is compelled to share their pregnancy, either in real life or on the computer. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

My close friend got pregnant when she had a very young baby. I wasn’t judgy about it. Accidents happen. I guess I was more shocked than anything. But she did wait a little longer than usual to announce because she was afraid of some reactions she might get. 

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

I wondered if they had some worrisome test results early in the pregnancy. If they were concerned about miscarriage, stillbirth , or a serious medical issue they may have only shared the pregnancy with very close friends and not on social media. 

Frankly, no person is compelled to share their pregnancy, either in real life or on the computer. 

Except not even telling their own children to prepare them? Also how do you hide it, I have a similar body shape to Chelsea and Nicole (tall and slim) and honestly I could not hide the bump if I tried at this point? Although it’s summer here probably easier in winter. 

Yes, good point about worrisome testing early on! 

• Upvote 6

On 1/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Every Elizabeth I know is called Liz. Maybe they will call her Betsy? 

My mother was an Elizabeth, and everyone called her Betty.  She was born in 1929 :)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

Do you think it was a didn't know she was pregnant type of situation? With breastfeeding maybe she just hadn't gotten a period yet and didn't know but now is ashamed to admit it? I would watch the crap out of a TLC didn't know I was pregnant special on this family. 

Also- does Nicole have a public Instagram? 

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I had my baby (now age 28) a month early  born 12/10. So then I had tremendous fun bringing her to xmas parties where no one knew she had been born. I brought her to a party. She had this bilirubin light wrap thing that had to be plugged in. So I put her in a corner with my gifts and plugged it in. I thought, "Why aren't these people making over my baby, they must not be into babies". They thought I brought gifts in the carseat, not a real baby! See! It's all about making memories.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

22 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

I had my baby (now age 28) a month early  born 12/10. So then I had tremendous fun bringing her to xmas parties where no one knew she had been born. I brought her to a party. She had this bilirubin light wrap thing that had to be plugged in. So I put her in a corner with my gifts and plugged it in. I thought, "Why aren't these people making over my baby, they must not be into babies". They thought I brought gifts in the carseat, not a real baby! See! It's all about making memories.

I suppose it would be fun to surprise people. But now with social media it would be so easy for someone who found out right after the birth to spill the beans. My youngest came so fast and in the middle of the night that no one knew I had even gone into labor. So everyone woke up to a surprise that morning.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic