IGNORED

Blast from the Past ... Chelsea Pomeroy

danvillebelle

It makes my heart sing to see all these comments about Chelsea and her sister. 

Its going to annoy me til my dying day that we don’t know what went from Nicole and Chelsea always being together, the girl cousins all matching, to a sudden split where they don’t even like one another’s posts anymore. What went on!!?? 

Not sure the education is that poor, I follow a massive amount of their church from when Chelsea went private and I had to follow all her friends to get her to accept me. Anyway lots of physicians assistances, RN’s, chiropractors etc from the graduates. 
I don’t think the school turns out well rounded students but academically they seem to do pretty well. 

I really worry about any LGBTQ young people in their church.  They’d have to be in the closet or leave.  

• Upvote 11

7 hours ago, DottyC said:

She is only one step down from that batty woman that used a ton of wedding dresses to make a Christmas tree and decorate her dining chairs.

I just googled "using wedding dresses to make a Christmas tree" and up popped a bazillion entries on how to convert the lower part of a wedding dress into a Christmas tree skirt.   Who knew?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I just googled "using wedding dresses to make a Christmas tree" and up popped a bazillion entries on how to convert the lower part of a wedding dress into a Christmas tree skirt.   Who knew?

I feel like you can make most dresses with a long skirt into a Christmas tree skirt. I would be more likely to use an old prom dress 😂

• Upvote 5

The thing about the Pomeroys is that they are probably one of the most genuinely happy families that we follow, despite their church’s hateful beliefs and the ridiculous dresses and obsession with boys and blue. If one of their kids had a learning disability or a medical problem I’ve no doubt they’d get the best care possible, even if it meant sending them to public school. If you watch their videos the girls seem bright and bubbly when they aren’t modeling and gritting their teeth for a picture. I do feel sorry for their recently- acquired puppy, who looks batshit terrified and will no doubt be used as a photo prop soon.

The other thing is, these are kids who know and have good relationships with many different adults. So if one of them did have a crisis or discover an identity their parents objected to, I would hope that they would have friends or family to go to, probably. Maybe? 

Unfortunately, because the only people they know are other right wing Christians, their world is beautiful but it’s also small. They likely don’t know any families headed by a divorced mom, let alone gay moms or dads. I was very late figuring out I was queer because I didn’t have the words for it, and it took me a few years of being immersed in a culture where *all* identities are openly valued and talked about to figure out which words applied to me. The Pomeroys are so sheltered. I hope if/when they venture out into the wider world, they aren’t too shocked.

They remind me of Kendra Tiernys family - those weird Catholic all year people who live out in California? Just with a different sort of fundamentalism.  And it’s hard for me to imagine the girls looking back and remembering how weirdly gendered their Christmas gifts were when their parents had a *bounce house* for them to play in on Christmas Day. (A white bounce house, of course, but bounce houses are awesome.)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

20 hours ago, Howl said:

That's a new one on me too some of them look pretty.

This is the one I was thinking of, she started off with a frame and piled the dresses up over it.

http://penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-romantic-christmas-tree.html

This is her home page but if you are going to browse I suggest you get sunglasses, coffee and snacks first!

http://penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/

Edited by DottyC
Added a comma.
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, DottyC said:

That's a new one on me too some of them look pretty.

This is the one I was thinking of, she started off with a frame and piled the dresses up over it.

http://penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-romantic-christmas-tree.html

This is her home page but if you are going to browse I suggest you get sunglasses, coffee and snacks first!

Oh no!  I haven't looked at her blog in years.  Dear Dog Almighty!!!  Her house makes me itch.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, VooDooChild said:

Her house makes me itch.

Yes, it's shabby chic taken to the nth degree. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, anachronistic said:

The thing about the Pomeroys is that they are probably one of the most genuinely happy families that we follow, despite their church’s hateful beliefs and the ridiculous dresses

These kids are physically punished and Chelsea has been open and proud about that. They undoubtely live better than many fundies, because many fundies are poor and can't afford healthcare, education... and proper shoes. But I'm not going to praise a rich mom for taking her kids to the doctor or taking them to nice vacations or buying toys. The truth is that those girls have no other option than being young brides and moms. It's infuriating that a girl, especially from a well-off family, has her professional future banned because her family interpretation of the Bible.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

On 1/17/2022 at 6:57 AM, Howl said:

Except Penny made the whole tree out of wedding dresses! 

I think I was most impressed with the time she put an old mink coat over every chair in her dining room.

7 hours ago, VooDooChild said:

And take an anti-histamine because you will start sneezing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DottyC said:

All I can think when I see that blog (and Debbie Dabble, which is even worse) is that when she dies her kids are going to have to go through her 10,347 bins of "decor" and sell it, donate it or pitch it.  BTDT with in-laws.  I promised my kids I would never, ever do that to them and that if I ever show any signs of slipping into hoarding in my old age they have permission to intervene.  Forcibly.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

All I can think when I see that blog (and Debbie Dabble, which is even worse) is that when she dies her kids are going to have to go through her 10,347 bins of "decor" and sell it, donate it or pitch it.  BTDT with in-laws.  I promised my kids I would never, ever do that to them and that if I ever show any signs of slipping into hoarding in my old age they have permission to intervene.  Forcibly.

That is an excellent point, having to go through all that crap would be a nightmare.

I Googled Debbie Dabble. Now my eyes are bleeding. WTF do people use so many exclamation marks?!!!!!! Eleventy!!!!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ElizaB said:

and she is private again....

I wonder if she reads here.

Ignore me, I just remembered that she changes from public to private on a regular basis.

Edited by DottyC
Had more coffee so can think logically!

On 1/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Melissa1977 said:

These kids are physically punished and Chelsea has been open and proud about that. They undoubtely live better than many fundies, because many fundies are poor and can't afford healthcare, education... and proper shoes. But I'm not going to praise a rich mom for taking her kids to the doctor or taking them to nice vacations or buying toys. The truth is that those girls have no other option than being young brides and moms. It's infuriating that a girl, especially from a well-off family, has her professional future banned because her family interpretation of the Bible.

Melissa - thank you for telling me that. I guess I forgot that. I am one of those people that is very easily taken in by strong opinions and fancy….stuff….so I really needed this reminder. People who hit children or physically punish them in any way are all terrible, and I take back the compliments I’ve given the Pomeroys, if it’s okay. 

The thing is I don’t know the backgrounds of my doctors, dentist, etc. I just know that some of them are absolutely amazing. Women were responsible for the development and rollout of numerous COVID vaccines and they are on the front lines of fighting it. When I take a moment to think about my life and how much it has been impacted positively by strong, educated women, I feel awful for the chances those girls will never have, as well as the people they could have impacted in their alternative-universe careers.

I still like the dresses. But I can just look at catalogs where the kids were not beaten or coerced into behaving, yet still look happy in great clothes, and I know that what the Pomeroys are doing is wrong. 

This is why I love FJ. You all take me out of my bubble and remind me of cold, hard facts, and educate me in different ways. I love learning. I’ll never get tired of learning from you all, and I’ll never not be sorry for all those fundie kids who will never get the chance to learn any different viewpoints at all. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

Wow Chelsea’s sister Nicole just had her 5th girl, only 13 months after her last girl. They both have 5 kids now but Chelsea has the only boy. 
Elizabeth Anne. Probably my least fav name. 
I wonder if they will keep trying for that boy? 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Wow Chelsea’s sister Nicole just had her 5th girl, only 13 months after her last girl. They both have 5 kids now but Chelsea has the only boy. 
Elizabeth Anne. Probably my least fav name. 
I wonder if they will keep trying for that boy? 

Oh boy. What’s funny is you can tell they love dressing their girls like dolls. I’m sure they would have kept trying for a girl if they had 4 boys in a row. 

• Upvote 2

oh! I meant Nicole’s. I found it because I forgot her last name. But the account is private unfortunately.

I love all of Nicole’s names including Elizabeth Anne but I’m biased because those are family names for me.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, anachronistic said:

oh! I meant Nicole’s. I found it because I forgot her last name. But the account is private unfortunately.

I love all of Nicole’s names including Elizabeth Anne but I’m biased because those are family names for me.

I love all her names as well, this one was just not quite the theme I was expecting. Every Elizabeth I know is called Liz. Maybe they will call her Betsy? 
Her last two babies have only been 5lbl 13oz so tiny! 

I prefer Betty and Betsy for nicknames to Elizabeth. My generation called all Elizabeth’s “Liz” or “Beth.”

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

What's with the dressing up as old folks? They have done this several times and I still don't get it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DottyC said:

What's with the dressing up as old folks? They have done this several times and I still don't get it.

It's to mark the 100th day of school for the year. I guess they pretend to be old folks because it's like they've been in school "sooooo loooong". I don't think George has even started preschool yet (is their school PreK-12 or K-12? Or am I wrong on either account) so I'm not sure why they made him an old fogey too, but at least the girls aren't in blue and white for once.

Their dresses are PINK! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! Someone fetch me my smelling salts.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Thank you 🙂 what a strange thing to do!

2 hours ago, AliC said:

Their dresses are PINK! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! Someone fetch me my smelling salts.

That was my first thought too  😆 back in pink dresses!

Edited by DottyC
Not all the words!
  • Upvote 1

They aren’t the only school that does this. I’ve seen other schools have kids dress like they are 100 for the 100th day of school. We are having a food drive for the 100th day of school. I much prefer that. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic