IGNORED

Kristen Nicole Young 2: Angry Badger, So Full of Rage (at Gay Brothers, but not at Josh Duggar)

nelliebelle1197

I remember in high school having a friend tell me that she was so upset I was going to hell.  It definitely had the opposite effect she was hoping for since I have not renounced my atheism and we stopped being friends that very moment based on my disgusted response.

• Upvote 5

On 1/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And the whole threat of hell. How fucking terrifying. My Christian friends never threaten their children with hell. Actually I don’t think they ever even talk about it because they don’t want to scare their kids. 

When I taught Sunday School (Methodist) we were not supposed to talk about hell. Hellfire and brimstone preaching is out of fashion in many churches, as opposed to the popularity it held when I was a child.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

My grandma was raised southern Baptist. There were plenty of times she told me the devil would get me for lying…I also remember in high school going to a southern Baptist church with a friend, and the entire Sunday school lesson was how to get into hell. I didn’t go back to church with her again lol. All that being said, my mom and her side of the family are Episcopal. Growing up, I don’t think the idea of hell was ever brought up.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/5/2023 at 1:14 PM, Mabel said:

My grandma was raised southern Baptist. There were plenty of times she told me the devil would get me for lying…I also remember in high school going to a southern Baptist church with a friend, and the entire Sunday school lesson was how to get into hell. I didn’t go back to church with her again lol. All that being said, my mom and her side of the family are Episcopal. Growing up, I don’t think the idea of hell was ever brought up.  

Pre-Vatican Catholic and hell was always brought up in the dumbass nasty parochia school I went to. Pope Francis is on the record as saying there is no hell. I'm going with Francis.

• Upvote 3

I have a friend who is way into the mega church thing. Her and her group of fellow believers call the devil THE ENEMY. ☠️ It always reminds me of Voldemort. He who must not be named. 🤣 But man, he lurks everywhere, just waiting to pounce. She talks about staying vigilant and always being aware that THE ENEMY can sneak in and getcha! if you let your guard down. How exhausting that must be (and yet also a convieninet cop-out when you mess up). She and I are complete opposites, but have a good friendship nonetheless. I was UU for 100 years and now we are at my husband's Lutheran church of all places (a whole other story) and I've never once heard anything about hell or satan or the devil there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

It’s so odd to hear people be surprised by this teaching. I grew up with it my whole life and it was just truth, the same as the sky is blue. There’s a verse that says the devil goes around “as a hungry lion seeking whom he may devour”. Now as an atheist, I know this is all kinds of crazy messed up, but all of my friends/family still believe it. I guess they think I’ve been devoured. It’s not really funny though, it’s actually very sad, they all truly believe that I am going to burn for all eternity in hell. How awful is that!!  If you look at it from their sad perspective the most loving thing they can do is try to save you. The analogy I’ve always heard is that it’s like you see someone driving fast and you know there is a cliff ahead, wouldn’t you do absolutely anything/everything to save them, especially if it’s a dear loved one. That’s why I can’t be too upset with them, I know they truly believe it with all their heart and want to save others.  I was there, I felt such sadness for unsaved family members, I remember wanting them to be saved so badly. Now I look back and wonder how I ever believed in such a vile “god”…

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

Have you ever seen the 30 second Freedom From Religion Foundation ad by Ron Reagan, son of the president? It’s an ad that CBS refused to air for years but have since relented.  Here are his exact words:

“Hi, I’m Ron Reagan, an unabashed atheist, and I’m alarmed, as you may be, by the intrusion of religion into our secular government. That's why I’m asking you to join the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the nation’s largest and most effective association of atheists and agnostics, working to keep state and church separate, just like our Founders intended. Please join the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Ron Reagan. Lifelong atheist. Not afraid of burning in hell.”

I totally love it.

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/Gm2XiOvL_Fg

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3