IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 7: So Boring that No One Discussed Her Baby Shower

HerNameIsBuffy

5 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I mean I had two miscarriages  and two children by my 3rd wedding anniversary. I think at this stage it is hard to judge because having a few children early in a marriage is not unusual. I think you can’t really judge until they get past 4 or 5 or if they are going at a crazy pace (like Tori or Kendra Duggar). Hopefully, this difficult pregnancy and Kelton’s history will make them more cautious about future pregnancies, right now it’s too early to tell. 

But if it weren’t for her miscarriage she would have had her first and second at about the rate of Kendra and Tori. That is my point. They aren’t preventing or spacing that we know of. 

• Upvote 14
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, artdecades said:

But if it weren’t for her miscarriage she would have had her first and second at about the rate of Kendra and Tori. That is my point. They aren’t preventing or spacing that we know of. 

My oldest two are less than 20 months apart. I have friends who’s oldest two are 14 months apart. My point is it’s hard to judge the first two, Becuase that spacing is basically normal. With Kendra and Tori it’s the third child in three years that gets the eyebrows raised and makes you think they are going to keep on at breakneck speeds. If Kelton and Josie are pregnant again in 2022, them I will assume they are also on the “as many blessings as possible train” but until then, it’s hard to tell, especially since her first pregnancy seemed to be significantly easier than this one. 

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I totally agree.  I had my three all two years apart and two miscarriages.  We used BC in between but wanted our kids close together.  Looking back at that time it feels like I was continuously pregnant for those 5 years.

I was recently reflecting and realizing that I spent about seven straight years pregnant or nursing. I had 3 kids in less than 5 years but now I am done, done, done. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

My oldest two are less than 20 months apart. I have friends who’s oldest two are 14 months apart. My point is it’s hard to judge the first two, Becuase that spacing is basically normal. With Kendra and Tori it’s the third child in three years that gets the eyebrows raised and makes you think they are going to keep on at breakneck speeds. If Kelton and Josie are pregnant again in 2022, them I will assume they are also on the “as many blessings as possible train” but until then, it’s hard to tell, especially since her first pregnancy seemed to be significantly easier than this one. 

I was recently reflecting and realizing that I spent about seven straight years pregnant or nursing. I had 3 kids in less than 5 years but now I am done, done, done. 

LOL are you my sister?

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Smoochie said:

LOL are you my sister?

Lol no. 
I actually had that spacing becauseI knew I would be a stay-at-home mom and wanted to be back in the workforce by 40. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 4

On 5/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, llucie said:

No, he has a brother and a sister, Greg and Jenny. Both are featured in the mentioned episode. They did the sitting couch interviews together so maybe you though she was the wife? but Greg wife does appear in the background in the episode holding their youngest daughter, and Jenny mentions her husband name is Craig. They even show how both their houses are situated in the same property as their parents farm with a drawing in this episode, and Gil mentions he has land too in that property but he has not choosen to built in it yet, unlike his siblings.

Edit: to attach the drawing.

farm.png

Gotta say that's a pretty sweet set up. For family that's close and not overbearing(like mine) this would be a dream!  The Duck Dynasty clan all live on the same property too. I really like that.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Gotta say that's a pretty sweet set up. For family that's close and not overbearing(like mine) this would be a dream!  The Duck Dynasty clan all live on the same property too. I really like that.

My enquiring mind wonders why Gil and KG didn’t build a home on the family property? Especially considering they had money problems before the family show was born. Now, maybe the elder Bates didn’t want the family wrecking their land and peace and quiet 24/7 /365? ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My enquiring mind wonders why Gil and KG didn’t build a home on the family property? Especially considering they had money problems before the family show was born. Now, maybe the elder Bates didn’t want the family wrecking their land and peace and quiet 24/7 /365? ?

I don't think Gils mom approves of the family tbh. She doesn't exactly have an aura of support when she's around them. I don't think she wants them around.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

My dad lives next to his dad’s house. My cousins are building a house on the other side of grandpa’s house. It’s actually really common to build houses near other family houses on large rural properties. My dad can check up on grandpa very easily and he mows his yard. It just makes things easier in old age to live right by your family members. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I don't think Gils mom approves of the family tbh. She doesn't exactly have an aura of support when she's around them. I don't think she wants them around.

If this is the case I certainly can't blame them.  I love my kids, but wouldn't want 19 of them running around.   That's like moving a small summer camp onto your property, but all the counsellors are just older campers.  Talk about danger of turning grandparents into full time faux parents.

I love my family, but we would all nope out of living that close.  We have our quirks, but we're all expert boundary setters.  That's weird that I just realized that, I wonder how that happened?  

• Upvote 8

Just a thought...Besides KJ, Gil, JB and Michelle, and maybe the Jill Rods, are there any other prolific reproducers who support the notion of mega, mega families for their own adult children? I wonder if any of these folks have ever contemplated on their choices in the face of available and safe BC options? When even your own “religious “ parents do not support your unhealthy reproductive choices, especially when you struggle to house and feed your already born offspring, do you ever stop to consider more safe and sane options? This has to be a destructive affliction-

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

She doesn’t seem to enjoy when they come over because stuff gets broken. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I guess it’s just a difference of perspective. I assume these fundies are QF unless otherwise stated, even with medical issues. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Lgirlrocks said:

She doesn’t seem to enjoy when they come over because stuff gets broken. 

How do you even bond with grandkids when they're all in a pack like that?   My maternal grandparents had 25 grandchildren spread out over seven kids, and God knows how many great grandchildren before I came along and so my grandma would invite small groups of grandkids in the same age range over in order to spend time with us as individuals rather than the flurry of chaos of the big get togethers.  

It was a great concept in theory and I think a lot of her other grandkids benefited from this, she did know us as individuals.  She knew who hated sports, who was quiet because they were shy and who was quiet for other reasons, who was never quiet.  She knew stuff we excelled at and where we struggled, our favorite deserts, who was a pain in the ass when it came to meals, who was afraid of the dark.  And she knew who was snarky.  My grams was snarky and I have a suspicion she appreciated that some of her family was clever enough to get her when she was deadpan hilarious.  She would never say that aloud though.

I was probably the least close to her out of all of her grandkids (certainly my siblings and I were orders of magnitude more distant than the others) and she still knew more about me as a person than I'd bet either JB or M know about their own kids.  And that was without prying...just when you get people in smaller groups activities people tend to chat about their lives.  And we got to know her more than we would have without that.  It was over games of Chinese checkers that I learned the first baby can come any time, it's the rest of them that take 9 months.  And helping set the table is when I learned that she was glad Grandpa turned out to be easy to love because he could have been the devil himself and she'd have married him so she didn't end up a farmer's wife.  

TLDR you develop relationships with people, not as a herd.  

IIRC Alyssa was particularly close to Gil's mom so I'm wondering if Jane didn't spend time with them one on one or in smaller groups.  

• Upvote 10
  • Love 6

12 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

IIRC Alyssa was particularly close to Gil's mom so I'm wondering if Jane didn't spend time with them one on one or in smaller groups.  

Alyssa was quiet and apparently did a lot of the cooking at home, so she likely helped Mama Jane in the kitchen when they would come visit as a group. Guessing that's how their relationship got to be stronger than the rest.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I always though the same but then i found this article that not only gives some clue on how Gil converted (his high school coach radicalized him) but his parents are interviewed and give a very positive opinion about it, Jane is quoted as saying that the change Gil had was actually a blessing, and that they are great parents.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

2 minutes ago, llucie said:

I always though the same but then i found this article that not only gives some clue on how Gil converted (his high school coach radicalized him) but his parents are interviewed and give a very positive opinion about it, Jane is quoted as saying that the change Gil had was actually a blessing, and that they are great parents.

A lot of parents aren't going to complain about their child converting to be a good christian man. They probably didn't know how radicalized he was or would become at the time. Definitely not 19 kids radicalized. 

• Upvote 10

I was really fortunate that as a child, I lived in the same city as both of my grandmas and my surviving grandpa, and that all of my cousins on both sides lived out of state, so being the only local grans, we all developed a special relationship.  I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. I only have one grandchild who lives overseas, and I'm sure I've seen her more this year than JB and M have seen the Dillard boys or Vuolo girls. Having more of something doesn't mean you cherish those things MORE.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, raayx01 said:

A lot of parents aren't going to complain about their child converting to be a good christian man. They probably didn't know how radicalized he was or would become at the time. Definitely not 19 kids radicalized. 

This interview was in 2012, when the first episodes on the Bates were going to be released though. They already had at least 18 kids.

Edited by llucie
to add
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, llucie said:

They can say whatever they want, but Jane looks really disgusted every time the whole Bates crew goes to the farm. She adviced Alyssa to stop having kids or at least slow the babymaking when she had only 3 children. So while Jane is very religious and probably shares Gils's beliefs, in no way she is supportive of the quiverful thing. In addition, she may say Gil and Kelly are great parents, but videos show that she doesn't like Kelly.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, llucie said:

This interview was in 2012, when the first episodes on the Bates were going to be released though. They already had at least 18 kids.

They had 19 kids when the interview took place. (I looked it up.)

That being said, most people have qualms about talking smack about family in public.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

How do you even bond with grandkids when they're all in a pack like that?   My maternal grandparents had 25 grandchildren spread out over seven kids, and God knows how many great grandchildren before I came along and so my grandma would invite small groups of grandkids in the same age range over in order to spend time with us as individuals rather than the flurry of chaos of the big get togethers.  

My mom and stepdad prefer to take my kids one-on-one. They find even 3 a lot for them to handle and they like getting to spend the individual time with their grandkids and my kids love it too. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

They had 19 kids when the interview took place. (I looked it up.)

That being said, most people have qualms about talking smack about family in public.

Yup. I don't get along well with my MIL. But if I was interviewed on TV, I probably wouldn't mention that.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Josie said on Instagram that the baby was going to be induced at 37 weeks. By my calculations (I think her due date is 30th June) that would be today. So we may hear that baby Hazel is here. I hope that she arrives safely and that both Josie and baby are well. 

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Angelface said:

I think that Josie said on Instagram that the baby was going to be induced at 37 weeks. By my calculations (I think her due date is 30th June) that would be today. So we may hear that baby Hazel is here. I hope that she arrives safely and that both Josie and baby are well. 

Man I'm as far along as Josie (38 weeks on Friday) with like a belly 10x as big based on photos and I'm so jealous if she'll have her baby out before mine. The last month truly feels like 100 days. I'm sitting on a sitz bath as I type with toilet paper in my nose because one of my weirdest pregnancy symptoms is chronic nose bleeds. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 24

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic