IGNORED

Alyssa and John 8: Four Daughters, a New House, and a Pool

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Will be interesting to see how she “educates” a son as I think it’s a given she or they won’t prioritize a daughters education. The daughters should be well and always cutely dressed, have make up done right and hair always cutely done and act cutely. The aim is to train them be like mom...get them married youngish to Godly young men not make them intellectual or career oriented

A boy is different and need enough education to get a job in politics or maybe Law presumably for the Webster’s So he can attract a Godly cute pretty young girl like dear old dad did , impress her dad and the cycle can continue. 

A son would likely be educated and steered toward the family business. 
How come the G1 can be educated but their kids can not? Looking at you, Websters Paines, Bateses, Maxwells...

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

49 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Will be interesting to see how she “educates” a son as I think it’s a given she or they won’t prioritize a daughters education. The daughters should be well and always cutely dressed, have make up done right and hair always cutely done and act cutely. The aim is to train them be like mom...get them married youngish to Godly young men not make them intellectual or career oriented

A boy is different and need enough education to get a job in politics or maybe Law presumably for the Webster’s So he can attract a Godly cute pretty young girl like dear old dad did , impress her dad and the cycle can continue. 

Daniel.Webster is absolutely against schools. Homeschooling is the only way for him. 

I doubt Alyssa would put more effort to homeschool a boy. She is a lazy homeschooler, but even if she tried to do better, she wasn't a good student herself. I suppose the boy would be a mini John and educated to work in the family business, as his dad.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

The Bateses seem to value boys education even less than girls education. They start working some manual labor job around age 14 and thats it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I think the oldest men in the family support their sons working in a family establishment as a way to maintain control and to keep their own fingers in the til. I’m sure Daniel Webster garners some financial gain from the family heating and air conditioning business.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think the oldest men in the family support their sons working in a family establishment as a way to maintain control and to keep their own fingers in the til. I’m sure Daniel Webster garners some financial gain from the family heating and air conditioning business.

I'm not sure, but I think Websters have 8 children, 4 or 5 are boys. Do all of them work in the family business? I wonder if the oldest children went to a school. 

• Upvote 1

John Webster is one of six. He has three brothers and two sisters. I think that he is child number 5. I’m not sure whether or not the brothers all work in the family business or what schooling they had. Their father certainly attended a real school and college but, in the usual fundie way, denied this opportunity to his children. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

According to the Webster Air Conditioning website, Jordan, Brent and John work for the family company. The oldest brother, David, does not appear to work for the company. According to the website, Daniel (the father) has an electrical engineering degree from Georgia Tech and Jordan has a Bachelor of Science in business administration but it does not say from what school. Neither Brent's nor John's bios mention education.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 13
  • Love 1

I think the fundie aversion to education is ultimately what keeps their lifestyle from spreading and gaining traction. It’s simply not possible for most people to comfortably support a large family without a high-earning career, and most high-earning careers require education. The poverty that results from no qualifications or education drives some to leave the fold because it’s just not desirable or sustainable to have a ton of kids on a low income.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:23 PM, HereticHick said:

Alyssa probably doesn't allow her girls to play in puddles or feed pigs, lest they ruin their flammable-tulle-dollar-story-faerie ensembles sent by Tiki the Stalker

Guys, I just wanna remind all of you that my user title is #superficialtwit. I believe @nausicaa came up with it as a descriptor for ....  Alyssa Bates! This was before or just around the time she married. Good to see things never ever change.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:30 AM, Melissa1977 said:

There is plenty of nice Christian storybooks. But if those children really like reading, there will be a moment most books will be banned. They will never be free to go to a library or a bookstore by themselves. Censorship is part of their upbringing.

Erin is showing a country uthopia. Green grass, animals and happy children running wild. It's great. But those children cannot socialize in a daily basis (just with several cousins) and have a very limited education despite Erin's efforts. If Carson wants to be a builder or a farmer or a pilot, ok, but what if he wants to join a secular college? And are the girls allowed dream about being a professional adult someday? 

Erin is clearly making an effort lately. I suppose she realises she has to focus in her actual children, instead of in future blessings that are not coming. But for a long time, Everly has been basically a lost girl. Carson was Erin's favourite, Brooklyn the naughty funny one, and then baby Holland. If Erin is noticing Everly now, good for her. But at least Alyssa doesn't play favourites.

I am pretty sure Brooklyn has always been the lost girl.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I think the fundie aversion to education is ultimately what keeps their lifestyle from spreading and gaining traction. It’s simply not possible for most people to comfortably support a large family without a high-earning career, and most high-earning careers require education. The poverty that results from no qualifications or education drives some to leave the fold because it’s just not desirable or sustainable to have a ton of kids on a low income.

To me this is the difference between watching the Duggars and Bates vs watching (on YouTube) Not Enough Nelson’s.  The Nelsons are educated, encourage education, send kids to school and have money to support their brood of 16 kids (and one son in law)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I want to make 1 correction. Obviously Dan Webster has a family business and his sons do have the necessary skills to work in that business, and do so to support their families. Not really sure what the Duggar boys do or what kind of structure business/es they have or how they support all those kids. Same goes for most of the male Bateses, although only Zach has a family to support. He also has an established job.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, clueliss said:

To me this is the difference between watching the Duggars and Bates vs watching (on YouTube) Not Enough Nelson’s.  The Nelsons are educated, encourage education, send kids to school and have money to support their brood of 16 kids (and one son in law)

The Nelsons are LDS. The LDS have long prioritized education. It's a completely different ballgame. Same with Catholics.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2021 at 10:02 PM, SassyPants said:

I want to make 1 correction. Obviously Dan Webster has a family business and his sons do have the necessary skills to work in that business, and do so to support their families. Not really sure what the Duggar boys do or what kind of structure business/es they have or how they support all those kids. Same goes for most of the male Bateses, although only Zach has a family to support. He also has an established job.

Not any more ... he quit the police force to work for the Bates tree service! 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

In their latest vid (Zoey’s 3rd birthday), I noticed at one point Zoey is outside on the porch alone with the pool fence wide open.  John and Alyssa are both in the house w/Maci and the other two girls (or anyone else—Alyssa says the party’s over) aren’t around. So very dangerous.  They need to be paying much closer attention. 
I also wonder if they are leaving that living room empty forever or are waiting on furniture. The little spot off the kitchen looks odd too w/ just a kids picnic table. I’d probably put a small table and chairs there.  I also think the pantry looks strange w/no doors. The whole first floor looks empty. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I will admit to being of a strange sort. Both when I moved into my first apartment and when I moved into my former house I didn't have enough furniture for my place and very slowly bought and furnished it getting the pieces that I wanted instead of furnishing it right away. 

My dad trained me that I needed to use a stud finder to hang the pictures on the studs so my walls were bare for about 8 months until my dad and mom came out with a stud finder. I didn't figure I would use one again so really didn't want to buy one, and I was afraid if I ask for one at work (Elementary School) that someone would put a copy of Playgirl in my box!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

I just watched the latest video and they are being awfully casual about leaving that gate to the pool open. First of all, it's a flimsy looking gate. I hope it has a sturdy lock. But even worse, they left Lexi (who doesn't swim) out alone on the porch with the gate wide open. And there were multiple other times when they were wandering about the place, filming, and it's clear the gate is wide open. 

She mentioned their girls are getting swim lessons next week. That means they don't swim right now. This is very dangerous!

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

I just watched the latest video and they are being awfully casual about leaving that gate to the pool open. First of all, it's a flimsy looking gate. I hope it has a sturdy lock. But even worse, they left Lexi (who doesn't swim) out alone on the porch with the gate wide open. And there were multiple other times when they were wandering about the place, filming, and it's clear the gate is wide open. 

She mentioned their girls are getting swim lessons next week. That means they don't swim right now. This is very dangerous!

They're absolutely cruising for a drowned child. I'm both horrified and sadly unsurprised at their lack of discipline regarding pool safety.

Edited by CaptainFunderpants
Gerunding.
  • Upvote 18
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

And the kids running around the pool and leaning over the side...I’m thinking John and Alyssa are unaware of basic Pool safety rules.

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, Smoochie said:

Not any more ... he quit the police force to work for the Bates tree service! 

Is this an April Fool’s joke? Did he really quit?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Is this an April Fool’s joke? Did he really quit?

Zach quit and talked about it in length on the first episode of the current season.

It sounds like he might be missing out on 'family' stuff as a police officer, but the 12 hour shifts were really an issue. And he'll 'miss swat.'

Edited by GracieLou Free Duggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2

36 minutes ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

Zach quit and talked about it in length on the first episode of the current season.

It sounds like he might be missing out on 'family' stuff as a police officer, but the 12 hour shifts were really an issue. And he'll 'miss swat.'

Wow! UP must pay well. Can you even imagine popping out kid after kid and quitting a good job with benefits? What  skewed thinking. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Wow! UP must pay well. Can you even imagine popping out kid after kid and quitting a good job with benefits? What  skewed thinking. 

He gave it ten years ?I think that’s what someone said)? That’s a good amount of time for someone to know if they love the work, or want to try something else. A lot of millennials want to work for themselves and be their own bosses and after awhile of trying their hand at being an entrepreneur some of them drift to more stable employment. Zach seems pretty on par for his age/generation. He tried something no one else in his family had done, there may not be lots of room for advancement/pay raises in a small precinct and I can understand not being willing to move to a big city just to pursue a detective or chief’s position that may or may not work out. Now that he’s had experience being paid by someone else, he might eventually decide to go back to it after a few years running the family business. I don’t think changing jobs after ten years is that weird of a decision. Going to work for the family business is fairly common in the south.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

He gave it ten years ?I think that’s what someone said)? That’s a good amount of time for someone to know if they love the work, or want to try something else. A lot of millennials want to work for themselves and be their own bosses and after awhile of trying their hand at being an entrepreneur some of them drift to more stable employment. Zach seems pretty on par for his age/generation. He tried something no one else in his family had done, there may not be lots of room for advancement/pay raises in a small precinct and I can understand not being willing to move to a big city just to pursue a detective or chief’s position that may or may not work out. Now that he’s had experience being paid by someone else, he might eventually decide to go back to it after a few years running the family business. I don’t think changing jobs after ten years is that weird of a decision. Going to work for the family business is fairly common in the south.

He was a cop for 10 years? Isn’t his oldest kid about 6, so married 7 years? He was a cop for 3 years as a single guy? 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

He was a cop for 10 years? Isn’t his oldest kid about 6, so married 7 years? He was a cop for 3 years as a single guy? 

I think I saw that over in his thread, and thought it seemed too long. Should have double-checked. Still...it’s not like he was only there a year and then quit. Lots of people leave jobs to move on to something else. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

I think I saw that over in his thread, and thought it seemed too long. Should have double-checked. Still...it’s not like he was only there a year and then quit. Lots of people leave jobs to move on to something else. 

I think he became a cop after he married Whitney. When they were first married he ran for office right after he married. 

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic