IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

I thought someone mentioned Jinger mentioning it on social media a while back. I didn't see it personally so I may be mistaken. 

Jinger and Jeremy’s book confirmed that they used birth control for almost a year before trying for Felicity. She’s had a miscarriage and a baby since then, so it’s not clear if they’re using it now, or what their long-term plan is.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3

10 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jinger and Jeremy’s book confirmed that they used birth control for almost a year before trying for Felicity. She’s had a miscarriage and a baby since then, so it’s not clear if they’re using it now, or what their long-term plan is.

I always suspected it since they seemed to get pregnant exactly a year after they had gotten married. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Oh wow! Can you please share the way it was worded?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Oh wow! Can you please share the way it was worded?

The book alternates between Jeremy and Jinger’s voices. For obvious reasons, he tells this part. He doesn’t mention birth control or anything about Jinger’s family’s beliefs. He says that they had a whirlwind courtship and engagement. “We needed to slow down and take a year to get to know each other as husband and wife before we had kids.” They spend time together in Laredo, they buy a house, they’ve been married almost a year, and Jinger tells him she’s ready. She gets pregnant right away and finds out during their first anniversary weekend in San Antonio.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 8

23 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The book alternates between Jeremy and Jinger’s voices. For obvious reasons, he tells this part. He doesn’t mention birth control or anything about Jinger’s family’s beliefs. He says that they had a whirlwind courtship and engagement. “We needed to slow down and take a year to get to know each other as husband and wife before we had kids.” They spend time together in Laredo, they buy a house, they’ve been married almost a year, and Jinger tells him she’s ready. She gets pregnant right away and finds out during their first anniversary weekend in San Antonio.

Their relationship still feels predatory as shit to me.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Their relationship still feels predatory as shit to me.

*stage whispers* THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 4:36 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Just imagine a Duggar or Bates going into the military. The parents no longer have control of their adult child. The son is now far away doing things they likely wouldn’t approve of. They meet a lot of non religious people. They become friends with people that aren’t fundie. Fundie parents would hate this. 

Yup. That’s why they have ALERT. We grew up friends with an ATI family. After the two oldest boys enlisted, they left the cult and their family behind. The family did not let the youngest son enlist.

• Upvote 8

I posted this on the Duggar thread too but I wanted to post here as well. They are going to focus on the Duggars, Bateses, and Plath’s. But I just have a feeling Gil Bates will still look the best in that group and will have very few consequences. He’s slippery as fuck. 
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/docuseries-duggars-other-reality-tv-214522691.html

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I posted this on the Duggar thread too but I wanted to post here as well. They are going to focus on the Duggars, Bateses, and Plath’s. But I just have a feeling Gil Bates will still look the best in that group and will have very few consequences. He’s slippery as fuck. 
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/docuseries-duggars-other-reality-tv-214522691.html

I think they’re going to dig for dirt. This is the opportune moment when there’s a last gasp of interest in the Duggars. They will get better ratings if it can expose the crazy. I hope JB and Gil are arrogant enough to want to be interviewed. I don’t really know anything about the Plaths.

• Upvote 13

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was thinking that too. That the Bates will come out looking the best of the three.

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I was thinking that too. That the Bates will come out looking the best of the three.

They always do. And it drives me nuts. Gil can turn on the tears in an instant. Kelly can feign ignorance of anything and everything brought up about racism. I hate  it. I’m sure they have more skeletons in their closet but are great at hiding it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I’m excited about it, but I too worry that the Bates will get out of this looking harmless. Nothing ever really seems to impact their image. The Bates are good at sugar coating evil. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I think one problem with the Bateseseses is simply that they are more media savvy as opposed to the Duggars who are too much in their own bubble and make mistakes as a result.  The Bateseseses have also made their mistakes but seem to make the necessary course corrections once they perceive something doesn't go over.   And Kelly and Gil have the charm offensive down pat.

ETA: I also think that after the fall of the Duggars, there's fans who still want to believe the Wholesome Christian Family schtick and therefore they find some other family to feed into that fantasy. 

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 10

The Bates are more media savvy than the Duggars. I think they are also naturally more charming and more intelligent (still ignorant) and the combination, along with their very pretty children, is incredibly dangerous. The Duggars always came off a little weird, even before all the skeletons started coming off, the Bates have managed to change their image so that they come off more relatable. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

It’s also down to editing. TLC made the Duggar’s look a bit weird from the start. So it’s easy to get lots of questionable looking footage. UP presents the Bates as wholesome Christians. So you have to dig deeper and into their private accounts to find the problematic stuff on easy display. 
I think people quickly forget the no one sees the real people. Most of it is highly curated. We all do it to a certain extent when we show ourselves to others (social media, meeting (new) people, being on a forum….). The fact that many of them use it specifically for PR or as a business only means it’s even more curated. They slip up from time to time, which is good because it gives a. glimpse of their real self.

It will be interesting to see what is made out of it.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

The Bateses have also been in a sweet spot, fame-wise, where they reap the benefits of a show, social media endorsements, and the occasional magazine coverage, but the overwhelming majority of people outside of their target demographic still have no clue they exist. Basically, right now they’re mostly only famous with sympathetic people. Because the Duggars have a higher profile (and such egregious behavior from their eldest), they deal with a lot more scrutiny and negative attention. While I do agree that many of them are more charismatic than most of the Duggars, I think it’ll be interesting to see how the Bateses handle it once they get a taste of fame with a less sympathetic public. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Keep in mind that UP is a Christian network.  They are presenting the Bates as a wholesome Christian family.  Even if the upcoming documentary paints them in a bad light, I seriously doubt there will be any fallout.  Now, if their original show on TLC hadn't been cancelled, there very well could be some fallout.  This is because TLC has a much broader audience than UP.  TLC is all about the freak factor with it's shows, but UP is all about Christian family values.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Yes, the Duggars, the first of the 2 to be marketed by TLC, were presented as weird or odd. And perhaps TLC tried that with the Bateses too, but it had already been done, so it was over saturation, AKA, been there done that. The Bateses are the first for UP, right? They are riding that image, and lets face it, do it better. Just look at KJ’s birthday messages to her kids vs the Duggars’. KJ plays it up and hides the dysfunction way better. Plus for me, having jobs outside of the show (G2) gives an impression that these folks are not above working to support themselves, buy homes, have children and in general, finance life. IMO, that is a step towards integrating into the RW and understanding how people can believe differently from you, but still be decent people. The Duggars are still too isolated in their own, non working bubble for my liking-

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

The Bateses have also been in a sweet spot, fame-wise, where they reap the benefits of a show, social media endorsements, and the occasional magazine coverage, but the overwhelming majority of people outside of their target demographic still have no clue they exist. Basically, right now they’re mostly only famous with sympathetic people. Because the Duggars have a higher profile (and such egregious behavior from their eldest), they deal with a lot more scrutiny and negative attention. While I do agree that many of them are more charismatic than most of the Duggars, I think it’ll be interesting to see how the Bateses handle it once they get a taste of fame with a less sympathetic public. 

I agree. I don’t think it will necessarily affect their show, because UP is t even really a well known network. I do think it will hamper any potential future ambitions, like if they wondered a bigger network would pick them up or something. Maybe it might affect some sponsorships or Gil’s preaching options. I do wonder if they’ll engage it at all or just publicly ignore it as they’ve done with the Gothard and Duggar investigations. If they are smart, they’d ditch IBLP and claim to have moved on before the special airs. I am actually unreasonably looking forward to the special, because I can’t help but think the studio intends to pitch this to audience as a expose. 

• Upvote 5

On 12/24/2021 at 11:35 AM, RosyDaisy said:

Keep in mind that UP is a Christian network.  They are presenting the Bates as a wholesome Christian family.  Even if the upcoming documentary paints them in a bad light, I seriously doubt there will be any fallout.  Now, if their original show on TLC hadn't been cancelled, there very well could be some fallout.  This is because TLC has a much broader audience than UP.  TLC is all about the freak factor with it's shows, but UP is all about Christian family values.

I remember people reporting they complained to UP about Trace and Lawson being at the capitol rally on Jan 6th but UP did not give one care about it. 

• Upvote 15

That's probably because a huge chunk of UP's viewers sympathize with the insurrectionists.

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

That's probably because a huge chunk of UP's viewers sympathize with the insurrectionists.

It's all about the advertisers. THEY apparently agree with the insurrectionists. Sad.

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, marmalade said:

It's all about the advertisers. THEY apparently agree with the insurrectionists. Sad.

If People puts Lawson’s wedding in the magazine we can know that not only do they agree with the insurrection, they also agree with the racist remarks Nathan said and Lawson laughed at. 

• Upvote 10

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic