IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

So they posted pics of Kelly's mom. The one hospitalized with COVID last winter who's husband died of COVID? From the pictures she posted her mom.has had significant long term issues since then. The pictures showed her in bed eating soup with a towel as a bib and in a wheelchair.  And were captioned with a thank you to her sisters for taking care of her. And yet they still carry on as if everything is OK. Disgusting. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on reddit this am and cross posted to main Duggar's thread

Why haven't they had to publish financials since 2018, I thought all non profits were required to do that yearly.

Also, "other wages" etc. section is shady af and makes my auditor brain itchy.

As I asked over there, I wonder how much of Gil and Kelly's newfound wealth is UP and how much is them lining their pockets after they let Gothard out with his golden parachute?  Does anyone know approximately what kind of bank they're making from UP?  Reality tv doesn't pay that well comparatively, from what I've read.  Also, do the Bates kidults get paid directly, or are G and K pulling a Duggar and keeping it for themselves?  

I usually roll my eyes when someone says "sorry if this has been discussed before, but I don't have time to scroll up" but today I'm that person.  Corporate is here and I have to go smile at people some more.  (I keep picturing the scene in TBBT theory where Sheldon tries to smile and Howard says something like, "we're here to congratulate koothrapali, not kill Batman" every time I fake a smile these days.)

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:35 PM, JMO said:

So they posted pics of Kelly's mom. The one hospitalized with COVID last winter who's husband died of COVID? From the pictures she posted her mom.has had significant long term issues since then. The pictures showed her in bed eating soup with a towel as a bib and in a wheelchair.  And were captioned with a thank you to her sisters for taking care of her. And yet they still carry on as if everything is OK. Disgusting. 

Was Michaela pictured helping? Didn’t see reference caring for her grandparents as a career path?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Was Michaela pictured helping? Didn’t see reference caring for her grandparents as a career path?

No. She just mentioned her sisters.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

On 1/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, SassyPants said:

Yes she wrote that. No she didn't actually care for her grandma. I think she only said that because everybody asks her why she got a degree if she wasn't planning to work. 

In another occasion, Michaela said she doesn't want to work or volunteer by now because it may interfere with her fertility doctor appointments. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 3

I bet she will never answer the questions about vaccination. I’ve never asked her. But I would bet 1 million dollars she’s been asked. I bet she won’t answer because she probably hasn’t been vaccinated. If by small chance she actually has been vaccinated, she wouldn’t say because she knows how the fundie community in general feels about it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet she will never answer the questions about vaccination. I’ve never asked her. But I would bet 1 million dollars she’s been asked. I bet she won’t answer because she probably hasn’t been vaccinated. If by small chance she actually has been vaccinated, she wouldn’t say because she knows how the fundie community in general feels about it. 

you know her?

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

you know her?

Oh no! She had invited people to ask her questions on Instagram and she would answer. I didn’t ask any questions. I always assume at least some FJ people ask fundies questions when they invite them on Instagram. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh no! She had invited people to ask her questions on Instagram and she would answer. I didn’t ask any questions. I always assume at least some FJ people ask fundies questions when they invite them on Instagram. 

Oh, thought I had been so oblivious I missed you were a Bates insider.  🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yes she wrote that. No she didn't actually care for her grandma. I think she only said that because everybody asks her why she got a degree if she wasn't planning to work. 

In another occasion, Michaela said she doesn't want to work or volunteer by now because it may interfere with her fertility doctor appointments. 

She couldnt work anyway without passing the licensing exam that she either didnt take or just didnt pass. 

It is weird to say she wanted to study nursing to care for her granparents when she currently has a grandmother that needs great amount of care and she is not the one providing it. Or maybe she would just care for her paternal grandparents? in any case i think it is in poor taste for her aunts that are actually caring for grandma.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 3

The way she worded that post with „I love science and medicine“ makes me think maybe she would love to work as a nurse but the culture she‘s in doesn‘t allow it. She‘s only allowed to obtain that degree if she later uses it to care for family.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Smash! said:

The way she worded that post with „I love science and medicine“ makes me think maybe she would love to work as a nurse but the culture she‘s in doesn‘t allow it. She‘s only allowed to obtain that degree if she later uses it to care for family.

Honestly she may just not have passed the certifications as the poster above noted, 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Honestly she may just not have passed the certifications as the poster above noted, 

If she's licensed, wouldn't it be posted somewhere? People look up Abbie Duggar's licensure all the time (she's still current). 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Smash! said:

I read it as "I enjoy studying", which does not equal "I enjoy working". Nurse is a very social job. Michaela does not seem to be involved in volunteering, church group etc. Maybe she found that working in a doctor office or hospital made her feel uncomfortable.

(Speculation, of course!)

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I read it as "I enjoy studying", which does not equal "I enjoy working". Nurse is a very social job. Michaela does not seem to be involved in volunteering, church group etc. Maybe she found that working in a doctor office or hospital made her feel uncomfortable.

(Speculation, of course!)

It can be uncomfortable (and I've been a nurse for almost 21 years).  I'm not a clinic nurse.  I tried it for six months and was absolutely miserable.  I like hands-on care, wounds, the occasional trauma/code, and hospice.  I'm a social butterfly at work, but need to recharge at home after every shift.  I do fill in at the clinic on occasion, but its not where I want to be.  At all.

4 hours ago, marmalade said:

If she's licensed, wouldn't it be posted somewhere? People look up Abbie Duggar's licensure all the time (she's still current). 

Yes, each state has an online database for licensure, to my knowledge.

Edited by 3splenty
  • Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Some of the women in that family own that online 'boutique,' Whitney worked as a realtor for a while (Idk if she still does), Josie was a hairstylist even after marriage iirc, and Alyssa worked cleaning offices even after she had kids.  

If she's not allowed to work that would be rare in that family.  

And in each of those cases the women "working" are working independently and not for someone else. Josie worked for a salon, but she was basically renting a booth and had her own hours, clientele (sometimes walk ins, etc.). Erin and Carlin (with Whitney) started their own business where they can take their children and do it in their spare time. Josie's business now is the same way. Alyssa's cleaning offices was to work alongside her husband. Even with Whitney (who no longer actively does real estate), she was not necessarily reporting to a boss so much as working independently when she wanted. From her online listings that wasn't very often. 

There is a big difference logistically and philosophically between their version of work for a woman and what Michaela would potentially do as a nurse. Education for Michaela was a consolation prize for her infertility. In each of the above cases, the women have spoken about their "working" as a way to spread their ministry and not actually make money. 

• Upvote 9

20 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

And in each of those cases the women "working" are working independently and not for someone else. Josie worked for a salon, but she was basically renting a booth and had her own hours, clientele (sometimes walk ins, etc.). Erin and Carlin (with Whitney) started their own business where they can take their children and do it in their spare time. Josie's business now is the same way. Alyssa's cleaning offices was to work alongside her husband. Even with Whitney (who no longer actively does real estate), she was not necessarily reporting to a boss so much as working independently when she wanted. From her online listings that wasn't very often. 

There is a big difference logistically and philosophically between their version of work for a woman and what Michaela would potentially do as a nurse. Education for Michaela was a consolation prize for her infertility. In each of the above cases, the women have spoken about their "working" as a way to spread their ministry and not actually make money. 

IDK…I think Alyssa was and Josie is in it to make money. Cleaning businesses after hours would not have provided any clientele to spread the message to. Josie is always shilling something and linking to her shop, again, no connection to God.

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I'm so confused, about how I'm quoted here. I do see a post supposedly by me which says I said these things 52 minutes ago. But I never even went to this thread today, as far as I know.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I'm so confused, about how I'm quoted here. I do see a post supposedly by me which says I said these things 52 minutes ago. But I never even went to this thread today, as far as I know.  

I am SO sorry!  I was troubleshooting your tech support question and temp logged in as you to see why the settings weren't saving and commented from the wrong window.  

It was my comment.

I hope people know I do not mess around with people's accounts and wouldn't post as someone else intentionally, none of us would.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

IDK…I think Alyssa was and Josie is in it to make money. Cleaning businesses after hours would not have provided any clientele to spread the message to. Josie is always shilling something and linking to her shop, again, no connection to God.

I'm not saying that they didn't want money just that it is anti-brand for them to say that. In the case of Alyssa, John led the cleaning business and Alyssa was following the doctrine of being his helpmeet - just as Erin does with Chad of him designing and her decorating. Josie went to Crown where she had just as many classes on the Bible and how to convert heathens as she did haircare. Josie point blank said on the show more than once that doing hair was a way to do her ministry. 

They have found things/excuses to allow their "work" to be acceptable. Selling things online is acceptable because they are not just selling items but reaching the hearts (and wallets) of followers. No doubt Carlin wants money from the boutique, but the premise they used and continue is that it is part of their ministry to reach women with cheap, modest clothing. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01

Jackson has some very moody pictures posted. They remind me so much of Lawson. Jackson will definitely be the next Lawson 🙄 let’s just hope he doesn’t get martyred until 30 like Lawson too. Kelly commented she was happy to have him home for a few days. Why does he get to be unmarried, 19, and living outside of their house? They would never allow a daughter to do that.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jackson has some very moody pictures posted. They remind me so much of Lawson. Jackson will definitely be the next Lawson 🙄 let’s just hope he doesn’t get martyred until 30 like Lawson too. Kelly commented she was happy to have him home for a few days. Why does he get to be unmarried, 19, and living outside of their house? They would never allow a daughter to do that.

I am sure they justify it because he needs to be away for his job. He showed up on Katie stories in NJ with his boss.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, llucie said:

I am sure they justify it because he needs to be away for his job. He showed up on Katie stories in NJ with his boss.

Yet they would never allow Katie to travel that much for work. She could only travel to visit Alyssa or her fiancé. She had to work in TN doing hair. 

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He tagged Lawson in them as PC (picture credit), so Lawson took them. Makes sense why they remind us (me included) of Lawson.

Question though: where is he living now? The Bates Fam (Kelly probably) insta commented saying it was good to have him home for a few days.

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic