IGNORED

It's Inauguration Day 2021!

GreyhoundFan

10 minutes ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

I do wish there wouldn't be all that hugging. I totally understand why it happened though.

I agree with you, but damn...if we were all watching this together I'd be hugging any one of you who was willing.  And I'm not a hugger....I'm just completely overwhelmed with relief, joy, and gratitude for all of you and everyone out there who have shared our fear for the last four years and came out in record numbers to try to right the ship.

And for the rest of my life I will hold Stacey Abrams and every blue Georgia voter deep in my heart, those who came out on behalf of the rest of us...we owe you all a tremendous debt.   

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 22
  • Love 13

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Agreed - but I'm in pollyanna mode so keep in mind that as a devout Catholic he has not let the tenants of the Church inform his political actions in keeping choice for women and gay marriage.  

Biden separates his religious beliefs from his duty to represent his constituents If Pence and his ilk did the same they wouldn't pose such a danger to the rest of us.

I agree with this 100%. It's refreshing that my dislike for the religious aspect is only because of wanting to keep state and church separate and not because he's - like Pence and others like him - trying to turn us into a theocracy. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 5

When I lived in New England, and would visit my family in the middle Atlantic states, I would sometimes have a "why does this look more normal?" moment, and then realize it was because I was seeing more of a racial mix, especially in suburban settings.

I had that experience again watching the cheerful aftermath of the inauguration. It looked normal, representative of humanity, of our country.

All Trump events, whether rallies or meetings with staff, were so white white white, and it always looked weird. That "where the hell are the rest of the people" feeling is gone (I hope forever).

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

7 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I agree with this 100%. It's refreshing that my dislike for the religious aspect is only because of wanting to keep state and church separate and not because he's - like Pence and others like him - trying to turn us into a theocracy. 

This just occurred to me that I haven't heard anything about those bigots being afraid of Biden due to being Catholic.  A lot of those people have some deep seated hatred, but I haven't seen the "papist" rhetoric tossed around at all.  

Means nothing - just occurred to me and I'm shocked they missed the opportunity to sow more division.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
I know difference between sew and sow - I'm not JRod
  • Upvote 14

My natural tendency is to be agnostic but seeing the damage fundamentalism can do has forced me to choose a side. So I've chosen atheism. However,I wish that there were fewer fundies and more people who are reasonable and moderate and choose a religion that respects other people's choices because this way I could just go about my own business and I could stop worrying about the damage extremists do. 

All this to say, I did not mind the religious aspects of the ceremony because all of it seemed reasonable and all of it seemed to come from a place of a religion that was moderate. Perhaps some might call this a cop out but it suits me better than the hard line fundies force me to take.  

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I feel weird here on FJ telling someone they are in my prayers when they post something personal and painful, and try not to do it unless I know they have said they are Christian.  For me it's never about pushing religion, it's letting someone know you care about what they are going through and are putting healing love into the universe for them.  Prayer is shorthand for that from me, but in an effort not to offend I try not to say it. 

I agree with all of what you said. Separation of church and state is so important, that to have so much blatantly Christian stuff going on feels a little... squicky I guess... to me. On the other hand I'm kind of glad it's in there, because there are likely a few gullible people watching who had been convinced Christianity would be banned who are scratching their heads and saying "Hey, wait a minute..."

I agree also that if I say someone's in my prayers, I don't mean it to be offensive (and I rarely say it, because of that). I mean putting out some positive energy in their direction. And for the record, I'm never offended no matter what form that might take for others - if I'm having difficulty and someone wants to light a candle/say a prayer/cast a spell/toss a coin in a fountain/whatever? I'm happy and appreciative.

That said, I'm a liberal Christian who reads tarot and is pretty convinced that God goes by lots of names in different cultures, and figures the end goal is being a good person and putting out positivity into the world. 

4 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I have to say I'm very relieved that there were no incidents during the inauguration. 

Me too! Right up until noon I was tensed up a little. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

19 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

wouldn't that be a lot better than him wearing a helmet while biking? (The daily show, obamas biggest scandals, in case somebody is confused)

I hope Biden will not wear a tan suit either - the horror!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 20

Unfortunately, my satellite reception crapped out on me during Biden’s speech.(It’s back on now.)

And @Destiny, it’s great to see Grumpy Cat again.(Although, and I hate to nitpick, wasn’t GC a girl?)

• Upvote 4

And yet somehow fundies are the persecuted ones in all this.

Where's my Jewish president?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

And @Destiny, it’s great to see Grumpy Cat again.(Although, and I hate to nitpick, wasn’t GC a girl?)

You are absolutely right. I sit corrected. 

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Where's my Jewish president?

We now have a Jewish Second Gentleman.  There’s hope!

• Upvote 22
  • Love 4

What a difference four years makes. Last inauguration, I was doing my best to pretend it wasn't happening, and watching Les Miserables instead. Now, I'm crying tears of joy. 

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

I whooped, I yelled "play it, boys!" at the band, I'm so happy.

My clock said 11:50. Do you think Sidney Powell is already working on a lawsuit stating that they need to remove Biden because they made him president 10 minutes early?

Release the krakens

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

if I'm having difficulty and someone wants to light a candle/say a prayer/cast a spell/toss a coin in a fountain/whatever? I'm happy and appreciative.

Me too.  Years ago I was going through something dark in my personal life and @Destiny sent me love and light...I swear I actually felt it.  It's just about sending peace toward others and whatever form that takes I personally just take it as love.

And I don't think there can be too much love for others sent into the world.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 18

Which former presidents were there today? I only saw Obama and wondered if any others came. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't show up due to Covid but I think it would have been nice if GWBJ showed up for unity reasons.

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Ticklish said:

My daughter made a newspaper this morning. Her headline reads: "Joe Biden is new president. People are happy." 

IMG9581331.jpg

I've watched the inauguration all day and still this is the best thing I have seen all day.  Thar has ben room'rs.  

So much ugly crying here today.  Thank you all for doing the talking here during the past few months, I don't post often but reading the politics threads here have made me feel so much better throughout this.  

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 7

1 minute ago, OldFadedStar said:

Which former presidents were there today? I only saw Obama and wondered if any others came. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't show up due to Covid but I think it would have been nice if GWBJ showed up for unity reasons.

All the living past presidents with the exception of Jimmy Carter were there. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

Just now, fraurosena said:

All the living past presidents with the exception of Jimmy Carter were there. 

Chump was also not present, to the relief of everyone.

• Upvote 20

Thank you all for being here, and allowing me to give voice to my horror in the past few years. You helped give me perspective, and helped me remember how many truly good and sane people there are. Love and happiness to everybody today! 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 9

49 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

But Rufus, please... not bare chested...

I'd actually be okay with that.  

Okay, someone cut off my keyboard access and I think I'm flooded with so much dopamine I may be currently impaired!

• Haha 16

Just now, Flossie said:

Chump was also not present, to the relief of everyone.

Pfft to him. He was never anything other than presidunce. He is not in their league and does not deserve to be named in the same post, let alone the same sentence.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 19

42 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree with you, but damn...if we were all watching this together I'd be hugging any one of you who was willing.  And I'm not a hugger....I'm just completely overwhelmed with relief, joy, and gratitude for all of you and everyone out there who have shared our fear for the last four years and came out in record numbers to try to right the ship.

And for the rest of my life I will hold Stacey Abrams and every blue Georgia voter deep in my heart, those who came out on behalf of the rest of us...we owe you all a tremendous debt.   

Stacey Abrams, who was robbed by the dubious activities of the GA legislature, of the GA governor’s seat. She is smart and determined, and needs a major role in the Democratic Party.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 25

• GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic