IGNORED

It's Inauguration Day 2021!

GreyhoundFan

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, during the presentation of the gifts. Maybe I'm behind a bit?

ETA: yep, I was behind. 

Thanks - yeah he is a hypocrite. 

Totally trivial but HRC's hair looks fabulous.  I have never been a fan of hers but I am a huge fan of bouncy waves.

• Upvote 13

15 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Bobby Ewing?

Trump had requested one (along with red carpet) for his farewell this morning.  Did he get one?

Please tell me he didn't get one.

Sadly, he did get one. He was still Commander in Chief, so he could demand it.

2 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, during the presentation of the gifts. Maybe I'm behind a bit?

It was about an hour ago here, when congressional leaders presented Joe and Kamala gifts.

Watching the ceremony at Arlington, it's striking how tall the Obamas are. Michelle alone is taller than W and Bill.

If you ever have a chance, watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is so worth seeing.

• Upvote 19

1 minute ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Watching the ceremony at Arlington, it's striking how tall the Obamas are.

It made me notice how petite Laura Bush looks. Michele Obama's dramatic outfit (in my favorite color!) adds to the effect.

I've also been noticing that everyone involved, all day long, seem capable of wearing a mask properly. Gee, anti-maskers, maybe it's not all that difficult.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Watching ABC.  There is a picture of a man kneeling respectively at the grave of Beau Biden at the cemetery.  He's been there for quite a while.  No idea who he is, the person who took the picture didn't want to intrude.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

Jake Tapper just cracked me up on CNN - he said something along the lines of "President Carter isn't here because he isn't physically strong enough to travel ... and President Trump isn't here because he isn't emotionally strong enough for it"

???

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 42
  • Love 2

I popped into r/conservative to see if they were up in arms about the inauguration and immediately saw posts talking about how talented Lady Gaga is and wishing Biden well because if he fails it's bad for all of us as a country.

I left the sub immediately before I saw something horrible which would ruin this delightful surprise.

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 5

McCarthy playing nice.

He has recently learned of a wonder of modern technology: photography.

• Haha 12

23 minutes ago, Becky said:

I have been watching NBC and they have gone out of their way not to say T****’s name. They have used “predecessor,” “who was in the office before,” etc. I approve!

ABC too. Everyone in the newsroom--and the inauguration itself!--basically ignored the orange thing. It was glorious. I think we should all avoid saying the T-word. I took the liberty of censoring it out of the quoted post :).

I thought the inauguration went really well. The only glitch was Justice Sotomayor mispronouncing the Vice President's first name, but the new Veep rolled with it. I didn't like all the religious nonsense--does no one read the establishment clause?--but it's a mild love-everyone version of religion, which I can live with. And, as has been pointed out, it may appeal to those on the political right who want religion in government (but aren't so far-right they reject the Catholic in charge). The sun came out as Biden was speaking, and if I wasn't an atheist I'd think it was a sign.

The one political event I've ever been to was Obama's 2008 election-night event in Chicago. When the election was called for him and McCain conceded (looking, as I recall, rather relieved), the crowd of tens of thousands of people were happy-crying, hugging strangers, and dancing. To this song:

Biden won't be perfect, and all those Rs now preaching unity will go back to divisiveness tomorrow (if they haven't already), but for a brief moment, we can relax. The grownups have arrived.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

It is a happy day to wake up and see that the inauguration went smoothly and President Biden is here to start rebuilding the USA. Love to all of you guys

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

Just now, AmazonGrace said:

Is it all just for Covid or are they looking for something else?

I'd hope the sweeps for bugs were thorough and multiple.

• I Agree 24

16 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Is it all just for Covid or are they looking for something else?

Probably both.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I was at work and couldn’t watch a lot of the ceremony but I made sure to watch the swearings-in, and waited till the clock turned twelve, had to make sure it was really over. 

I loved Amy Klobuchar announcing Sonia Sotomayor to swear in the Vice President, such a wonderful moment. I only wish RBG could have been there (and administered the oath, no disrespect meant to Justice Sotomayor).

• Upvote 10
  • Love 7

Annnd Al Roker got his fist bump! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

Annnd Al Roker got his fist bump! 

That was a wonderful moment, I loved it.

And did you see how the President was able to walk, even jog, without falling down a ramp, unlike a private citizen from Florida who shall not be named. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

yeah, and he managed a speech without sounding like he was a victim of kidnapping and/or reading off a teleprompter

it was wonderful to see him walking down to the whitehouse.. you can see that this family has a lot of love between them. It's such a stark contrast ☺️

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 9

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

How does Nancy Pelosi look so damn beautiful at 80?  She has a portrait aging in an attic somewhere, I know it.

Is she? I thought she was in her early 60's

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Is she? I thought she was in her early 60's

She bathes daily in the tears of butt-hurt bigots who feel emasculated in her presence. It’s her secret.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 32
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I love this!  After a rather sad parade back to the White House.  President Biden should have been waving at cheering crowds, but the roads were closed and the motorcade just sort moseyed along at a brisk walking pace.  But now he's closer and he's out of the limo and walking up the drive to the White House.  There are mostly reporters cheering him on, but probably a few others.  He keeps veering off course to talk to or fist bump people.  He and Dr. Biden look so happy!

However, I wish they would get inside quickly, just to make sure of their safety.

• Upvote 13

• GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic