IGNORED

It's Inauguration Day 2021!

GreyhoundFan

I've watched too many Bro Gary videos - I keep expecting to hear someone moaning orgasmically during the prayer.

Speaking of fundies, I bet they will be enraged that neither clergyman mentioned Jesus.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm sorry but I'm LOVING not recognizing @Destiny by avatar.

It's a bit strange to not recognize myself by avatar, I'm not gonna lie. 

I hate that this is so Christian. I totally get it, because Biden is, but I hate that other faiths aren't as well represented as they ought be. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 14

HA!  Closed captioning just gave me, instead of "democracy has prevailed", "democracy for our bail."

Some members of congress may just need bail soon, God willing.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 20

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

Who are the untouchables?

J-Rod’s “smelly and unlovable,” probably. 

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I didn't realize how much I needed my president to acknowledge covid and its deaths until Biden did it last night. 

It really hit me when I was about to text my sister a happy message that it's over, we lived through it. But I couldn't even say that because under the circumstances it would sound, not hopeful and relieved, but callous and dismissive to the hundreds of thousands of people who didn't live through it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 10

The US is exhaling too

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I hate that this is so Christian. I totally get it, because Biden is, but I hate that other faiths aren't as well represented as they ought be. 

This has been my only pet peeve about Biden so far. 

eta: I'm not saying he's perfect but it's nice to have a president where my complaint is that he's too openly religious and not that he commits treason. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 17

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Wait I thought Lawson said Biden hates christians?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

6 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I wish we could do these ceremonies with no religious content at all, other than statements that come from the heart of a speaker.

Faith is so individual, and we officially have a separation of church and state. As a non-believer, I wish that was respected.

But, after 60-some years, I'm somewhat resigned to it. Maybe someday.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 2

I do wish there wouldn't be all that hugging. I totally understand why it happened though.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

The US is exhaling too

So is the rest of the world....

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

5 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Wait I thought Lawson said Biden hates christians?

Maybe Lawson would change his tune if Biden posed for selfies with a horse.

• Haha 17

Just now, GreyhoundFan said:

Maybe Lawson would change his tune if Biden posed for selfies with a horse.

But Rufus, please... not bare chested...

• Haha 15

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

I agree - it is even if he weren't (here is a lot of Christian stuff happening that's generic.)  I am bothered by the religious aspect in our public rituals, or even when Nancy Pelosi talked about working in a prayerful way on the floor of the house.

As a (sort of) lapsed Catholic I get the need for prayer, I get believing...but I don't like it as a part of government in any sense.  I've long thought they need to be sworn in on a copy of the Constitution rather than the bible, as that's what they are swearing to be governed by and uphold.  

I feel weird here on FJ telling someone they are in my prayers when they post something personal and painful, and try not to do it unless I know they have said they are Christian.  For me it's never about pushing religion, it's letting someone know you care about what they are going through and are putting healing love into the universe for them.  Prayer is shorthand for that from me, but in an effort not to offend I try not to say it.  You'd think the government would stay more secular, but I'm so overwhelmed with happiness right now I'll quibble later.

I do want to say, as a Christian, I am not personally offended by the use of bibles and such this time as I was whenever Trump touched one or invoked God.  Part of me was always hoped he'd burst into flames whenever he invoked religion, but alas he did not.  

IMO bibles shouldn't be part of government ceremonies, but given that they are it pained me to see him sworn on based on a book for which he had nothing but contempt.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 21

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

But Rufus, please... not bare chested...

wouldn't that be a lot better than him wearing a helmet while biking? (The daily show, obamas biggest scandals, in case somebody is confused)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

The US is exhaling too

Four years of hyperventilating is over.

• Upvote 14

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree - it is even if he weren't (here is a lot of Christian stuff happening that's generic.)  I am bothered by the religious aspect in our public rituals, or even when Nancy Pelosi talked about working in a prayerful way on the floor of the house.

As a (sort of) lapsed Catholic I get the need for prayer, I get believing...but I don't like it as a part of government in any sense.  I've long thought they need to be sworn in on a copy of the Constitution rather than the bible, as that's what they are swearing to be governed by and uphold.  

I feel weird here on FJ telling someone they are in my prayers when they post something personal and painful, and try not to do it unless I know they have said they are Christian.  For me it's never about pushing religion, it's letting someone know you care about what they are going through and are putting healing love into the universe for them.  Prayer is shorthand for that from me, but in an effort not to offend I try not to say it.  You'd think the government would stay more secular, but I'm so overwhelmed with happiness right now I'll quibble later.

I do want to say, as a Christian, I am not personally offended by the use of bibles and such this time as I was whenever Trump touched one or invoked God.  Part of me was always hoped he'd burst into flames whenever he invoked religion, but alas he did not.  

IMO bibles shouldn't be part of government ceremonies, but given that they are it pained me to see him sworn on based on a book for which he had nothing but contempt.

In which you expressed what I was thinking better than I did, as usual. ❤️ you B. 

• Upvote 5

Amanda Gorman  is 22. Now I have to go through the whole "not everyone can be Mozart, you've achieved some things too, it's OK . . . " thing with myself again. ?

President Obama chatting with Lady Gaga and affectionately patting her on the back;  ?

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

My job got in the way...lunch break...I can breathe....oh and decide on a new avatar! Thanks all for keeping up the commentary so I can carch up!

• Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

This has been my only pet peeve about Biden so far. 

Agreed - but I'm in pollyanna mode so keep in mind that as a devout Catholic he has not let the tenants of the Church inform his political actions in keeping choice for women and gay marriage.  

Biden separates his religious beliefs from his duty to represent his constituents.  If Pence and his ilk did the same they wouldn't pose such a danger to the rest of us.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 22
  • Love 4

I have to say I'm very relieved that there were no incidents during the inauguration. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 28

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm in pollyanna mode

Hurray! Welcome to the club ? 

You are cordially invited to stay as long as you can.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic