IGNORED

Botkin 2: Geoff Tried to Advise Trump

Coconut Flan

I thought it was a pretty decent overview. But I wish she had said more about Audri and Jasmine. 

• I Agree 1

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I thought it was a pretty decent overview. But I wish she had said more about Audri and Jasmine. 

I wish she had included that Jasmine has straight up denounced the stay-at-home-daughters movement as harmful and not actually helpful in preparing for marriage. That’s pretty important. I’m a little surprised that Geoff’s weird videos and apparent spin into QAnon didn’t make more of an appearance, too. 

I went to check Geoff’s channel after that video, and it looks like he hasn’t posted anything since the new year, with the exception of one anti-immigration video back in February. I’m very surprised he’s not putting out loads of commentary on the war in Ukraine. He’s an expert on everything else, why not Eastern European geopolitics?

• Upvote 8

I too wish Jen of Fundie Fridays had gone into more depth about the women affected by Geoff and the clusterfuck that was VF, but she admitted she had limited time—so maybe we can hope she’ll revisit them in the future.

Oh, and did everybody see the FJ shout-out she gave?

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Hane said:

Oh, and did everybody see the FJ shout-out she gave?

Yes!

The video was a decent overview but I agree that she could have given Jasmine more credit on her turnaround. Several commenters also asked her to do a video on Jennie Chancey who they apparently did not know was a VF A-lister & BFF of Dougie et al -- they only knew of her through historical costuming. That would be an interesting video to see.

Re: Lucas Botkin. His wife's public IG provides an interesting glimpse into their lives although Geoff & other Botkins are nowhere to be seen. Mrs. Lucas Botkin is quite the entrepreneur, very interested in real estate acquisitions, and quite serious about saving for retirement. The more posts I see the more I wonder how they got together. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

ANNA SOFIA GOT A JOB.

HOLY MOLY BIG FRIJOLE! 

I'm gobsmacked.  Will she disavow her previous SAHD stance and explain how this is now OK and Godly?  You know she won't. 

Anyway, it's a great time to visit the "About page" on the Botkin Sisters blog where they claim they were never all about the SAHD movement, when that is very clearly EXACTLY what they were all about. 

"In addition to my work as a Realtor, I work with my family's manufacturing, retail, and media company, T. Rex Arms, and serve as vice president of the Hickman County Chamber of Commerce."

She's been a busy not-so-SAHD and she could potentially be successful.  The big question: is she still living at home?  Is becoming a realtor an off ramp to get out of the house, leaving Elizabeth to tend to the eventually ailing parents? 

Sweet Rufus on a hot red tin roof. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 3

It’s so easy to say “that’s not what our message was all about.” It’s a lot harder to actually address what went wrong and admit that you were teaching harmful or dangerous things. 

It’s so easy to give a speech 15 years later and say “we’ve realized a few things and made some changes.” It’s a lot harder when you’re the young woman who never had a chance to make changes because So Much More/Return of the Daughters was used to hamper your entire experience and eliminate any options you may have had. 

Oh girls, girls, repent. Admit that what you taught set up an environment ripe for abuse. Acknowledge the stories of girls who were crippled by your teaching. Get together with Jasmine and discuss what went wrong. Advocate for others’ freedom the same way that you’ve stepped into your own. It’s not too late. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

Oh girls, girls, repent. Admit that what you taught set up an environment ripe for abuse. Acknowledge the stories of girls who were crippled by your teaching. Get together with Jasmine and discuss what went wrong. Advocate for others’ freedom the same way that you’ve stepped into your own. It’s not too late. 

Itʻs not too late but as long as Geoff is around I'm betting they'll stay silent.

I had wondered if the Hickman C of C job was a paying one but this position certainly is.

I also wonder if Lucas's marriage has changed the financial dynamics at tRex Arms. His new wife appears to be very interested in money management & finance so I could see that she might insist on running more of the show at the company.

• Upvote 6

Look at all the SAHD’s that have decided against it:

Sarah, Mary, Anna Maxwell

7 Richardson sisters

Botkin sisters

Jasmine Holmes

Sarah Malley was one of the very few who stuck with it until her 40s and then got married. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10

35 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Itʻs not too late but as long as Geoff is around I'm betting they'll stay silent.

Maybe, but I think there might be trouble in Centerville. Someone removed the names of the elders of Christ the King Church from their website. As of December last year (according to Wayback) it used to list Geoff and Jonathan Tucker as elders. Audri recently posted something on Twitter about how one of her elders used to gaslight her, and I wonder if Geoff’s leadership is being called into question since he can’t manage his family properly. It would explain why he’s only put out one video this year, especially since the war in Ukraine would, in theory, give him all the fodder he needed to talk for days. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

46 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I also wonder if Lucas's marriage has changed the financial dynamics at tRex Arms. His new wife appears to be very interested in money management & finance so I could see that she might insist on running more of the show at the company.

Very good point.  Lucas and New Wife are getting into real estate investment in a very big way and A-S having a real estate license could certainly be helpful to Lucas and New Wife as they are cutting deals and buying/investing in rental properties. Getting more interesting by the minute.  Ms. New Wife could be breathing some fresh air into the stagnant Botkin Borg.  

I got very excited about A-S getting a job, but contemplating, it may be a daughter being economically productive (Biblical profit earning!) within the larger context of the family and not the huge leap into independence that we hope it is.  It would not have happened without Geoff's approval. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

I don't know if there is a thread on Sarah Malley but I have heard her name mentioned before. Did she have any children after marrying in her 40's?

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

7 Richardson sisters

Botkin sisters

Jasmine Holmes

Sarah Malley was one of the very few who stuck with it until her 40s and then got married. 

Don't forget the Ah-the-Lifers, Kelly & Andrea. Andrea married several years ago but Kelly still appears to be single.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I don't know if there is a thread on Sarah Malley but I have heard her name mentioned before. Did she have any children after marrying in her 40's?

No, and I think it’s pretty unlikely. I believe they are both mid 40s now so the chances are very low. Her wedding was not great. Her dad said some things that would make anyone cringe. I’ll look for the thread. 

Here it is. They got married right at the beginning of the pandemic. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Thank You 7

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, and I think it’s pretty unlikely. I believe they are both mid 40s now so the chances are very low. Her wedding was not great. Her dad said some things that would make anyone cringe. I’ll look for the thread. 

Here it is 

• Thank You 3

Anna Sofia is still at home as far as we know. She has a job, but she may still live at home.

We knew she was working for the county last we heard. (I posted about this last year.)

It's good that she's working though. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

7 Richardson sisters

Botkin sisters

Jasmine Holmes

Sarah Mally Hancock and her husband Andrew Hancock are 43. She 41 when she got married 2 years ago and her birthday is in January.

Sarah Mally's sister Grace was married in November 2019. She's about 9 years younger than her sister. She was another stay-at-home daughter who got married and she wasn't a young bride. She was about 31 when she got married. They have a daughter named Hosanna. 

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Her dad said some things that would make anyone cringe.

Didn’t he basically stand up at her wedding and say “we never thought you’d get married?”

Have your children’s hearts, indeed. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Didn’t he basically stand up at her wedding and say “we never thought you’d get married?”

Have your children’s hearts, indeed. 

Yeah he said something with that sentiment. And he also said that when she was born, he had wanted a boy. It was a horrible wedding speech. His wife only gave birth to two girls and I’m guessing that’s why they adopted a son. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 3

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah he said something with that sentiment. And he also said that when she was born, he had wanted a boy. It was a horrible wedding speech. His wife only gave birth to two girls and I’m guessing that’s why they adopted a son. 

A friend of mine married 4 years ago and her dad also gave a really really bad wedding speech. She was 35 when she got married and she and her boyfriend already had a son and had been together a few years already. She is a highly educated woman with two degrees. She has lived and worked on different continents, speaks three languages and so on and yet her father didn't fail to mention that he thought she'd never find a man since she was way too tomboyish (she was a really good soccer player) in his eyes.
I nearly choked on my white wine and felt so sorry for her, because you could see how hurt she was, sitting there in her beautiful white gown.

• Sad 16

Fuck the Babylon Bee for so many reasons. They had a terrible, cringey "parody" of ex-evangelicals de-conversion stories. Infuriating. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Fuck the Babylon Bee for so many reasons. They had a terrible, cringey "parody" of ex-evangelicals de-conversion stories. Infuriating. 

I remember when Babylon Bee first came out. Some of it was entertaining and kind of funny. After awhile, it seemed like they just started to make fun of the left instead. It sucks now. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I remember when Babylon Bee first came out. Some of it was entertaining and kind of funny. After awhile, it seemed like they just started to make fun of the left instead. It sucks now. 

i thought this was a good reflection on how the Babylon Bee has become what it originally mocked. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Christians can actually be funny while making fun of Christian culture. There’s a guy named Taylor Ransom is Christian but can be really funny when pointing out some of the more ridiculous things some Christian’s will do. He’s more silly than anything so I guess no one takes him too seriously. But my point is that you can be funny while making fun of Christian culture without going total MAGA like the Babylon bee. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, I remember loving Tim Hawkins back in the day, another one who poked fun at evangelical culture without being mean spirited.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic