IGNORED

Russians: Now Using Poison Underpants

clueliss

New sanctions from the EU. 

Restrictions on import of gas and oil, ban on investments,  ban on export of hightech products. Ships are not allowed in EU ports. Same sanctions for Belarus1317131252_Screenshot_20220301-120841_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.35c4b1eb14e0fed1ba54f64766745fb1.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-120857_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 10

Iowa's #CovidKim is stopping Russian alcohol from being sold at the wholesale level - Iowa's one of 17 states that controls the sale of alcohol at that level.

Monday Governor Reynolds announced a ban that would stop the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division from selling Russian Liquors. Iowa is one of 17 states that control the sale of alcoholic liquor at the wholesale level.

This move comes as the Governor expresses her solidarity with Ukrainians. Other states have made similar bans such as Ohio, Utah, and New Hampshire.

“I do think there’s value symbolically, and telling them what we think of their actions in Ukraine,” said David Cooper, Economist with the University of Iowa.

Cooper says the move won’t have much of a financial impact on the country but it shows support for other sanctions against Russia.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Good

Magomed Tushayev, one of the leaders behind the horrific “gay purge” in Chechnya, has been killed in Ukraine.

Tushayev was a top advisor and military commander for Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, and helped oversee a brutal so-called “purge” of LGBT+ people in the region since at least 2017.

He was reportedly killed while heading up the 141 motorised regiment of the Chechnya National Guard on Saturday (26 February), the Ukrainian news agency the Kyiv Independent reported.

Tushayev’s death was confirmed by Illia Ponomarenko, defence reporter for the Kyiv Independent, and by a spokesperson for Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky, according to the Los Angeles Blade.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

On 2/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, fish_ca said:

Still not yet in  Poland. They are very close to the border checkpoint. On the road since Friday, in the queue since Saturday! 

Both girls arrived sound and safe at destination place. It took 96 hours, 900 km. In usual circumstances it would take around 12 hours. But it is not that important.

They could get a shower and fall asleep in a bed. And are safe. I still don't know what is happening to her family in Ukraine. 

Thank You All for following their journey. I realized yesterday that people around the world kept fingers crossed for two strangers from a far away country. And I am really glad I shared their story. It is very encouraging.

There is more Ukrainians in a much worse situation so please make people aware around you what civilians have to face. Any other help is also much appreciated.

Once more THANK YOU!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 28

I think this might've been posted already but here the Georgian tanker telling off the Russian ship with subtitles

• Upvote 12

14 hours ago, 47of74 said:

A Russian airline flight to NYC had to go back to Russia mid flight. 

VASaviation is a channel on YouTube that posts interesting clips of air traffic control communications. Yesterday they posted a brief video with two different Aeroflot flights communicating with Canadian ATC. I felt a little for the pilots because there was some clear confusion and stress in their voices. It seems like these were ones leaving the US and having to skirt Canadian airspace.

The ATC controllers were calm and professional - and unless you've listened to ATC recordings before it might not make much sense, but basically the pilots were checking in with the Moncton Air Traffic Control, as normal, and the controllers were calm and polite when responding and asked them if they are aware of NOTAM R (Romeo, when spoken). Notam is basically "notice to airmen" which has any important updates every pilot needs to know.

NOTAM R must have been the notice that said "Canadian airspace is closed to all Russian owned and affiliated aircraft" or whatever. Basically the Moncton controllers made sure they were aware of the closing of airspace, and then told them "go talk to Gander." (Gander, Newfoundland, well known for having tons of planes land there when US airspace was closed during 9-11, and which I think is the farthest east ATC center and major airport for North America.) I take that to mean Gander was the one giving the routings to keep Aeroflot flights out of Canadian airspace, I think most if not all flights between Europe and the Northern US or Canada via the Atlantic speak to Gander at some point. 

I found it interesting - there was no discussion, no joking, no small talk which occasionally happens on ATC. No mention of Ukraine, no coming out and saying "you can't come here", just "are you aware of the notice?" and "contact Gander on this frequency" and that was it. ATC sounded calm and professional, and the pilots sounded to me like they were a bit concerned and trying to figure out their routing.  Probably also doing all kinds of calculations on fuel and such, to make sure they can get where they needed to go. And also probably wondering if they'll have a paycheck in the next weeks, or if they'll be grounded soon. 

I was wondering how this would affect the largest cargo plane in the world, Mriya. Apparently Mriya was Ukrainian, and was destroyed in the attack. This particularly sucks because it is not only the largest plane in the world, but it is sometimes used for humanitarian missions when large amounts of supplies are needed to be delivered to places in need. The thing is absolutely gigantic, and I had hoped to see it land somewhere someday. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12

Someone fornicated around and found out

World of Tanks creative director Sergey Burkatovskiy has been fired by studio Wargaming after publicly supporting Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

In a now-deleted Facebook post, Burkatovskiy wrote that he supported "the operation of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, the DPR [Donetsk People's Republic] and the LPR [Luhansk People's Republic]".

Wargaming has since confirmed in a statement to PC Gamer that Burkatovskiy is no longer employed.

"Sergey Burkatovskiy expressed his personal opinion on social media which categorically does not reflect the position of the company," a Wargaming representative said. "He has been let go and is no longer at the company."

6 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

VASaviation is a channel on YouTube that posts interesting clips of air traffic control communications. Yesterday they posted a brief video with two different Aeroflot flights communicating with Canadian ATC. I felt a little for the pilots because there was some clear confusion and stress in their voices. It seems like these were ones leaving the US and having to skirt Canadian airspace.

The ATC controllers were calm and professional - and unless you've listened to ATC recordings before it might not make much sense, but basically the pilots were checking in with the Moncton Air Traffic Control, as normal, and the controllers were calm and polite when responding and asked them if they are aware of NOTAM R (Romeo, when spoken). Notam is basically "notice to airmen" which has any important updates every pilot needs to know.

NOTAM R must have been the notice that said "Canadian airspace is closed to all Russian owned and affiliated aircraft" or whatever. Basically the Moncton controllers made sure they were aware of the closing of airspace, and then told them "go talk to Gander." (Gander, Newfoundland, well known for having tons of planes land there when US airspace was closed during 9-11, and which I think is the farthest east ATC center and major airport for North America.) I take that to mean Gander was the one giving the routings to keep Aeroflot flights out of Canadian airspace, I think most if not all flights between Europe and the Northern US or Canada via the Atlantic speak to Gander at some point. 

I found it interesting - there was no discussion, no joking, no small talk which occasionally happens on ATC. No mention of Ukraine, no coming out and saying "you can't come here", just "are you aware of the notice?" and "contact Gander on this frequency" and that was it. ATC sounded calm and professional, and the pilots sounded to me like they were a bit concerned and trying to figure out their routing.  Probably also doing all kinds of calculations on fuel and such, to make sure they can get where they needed to go. And also probably wondering if they'll have a paycheck in the next weeks, or if they'll be grounded soon. 

I was wondering how this would affect the largest cargo plane in the world, Mriya. Apparently Mriya was Ukrainian, and was destroyed in the attack. This particularly sucks because it is not only the largest plane in the world, but it is sometimes used for humanitarian missions when large amounts of supplies are needed to be delivered to places in need. The thing is absolutely gigantic, and I had hoped to see it land somewhere someday. 

And oh how I wish Kennedy Steve could’ve handled that one. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Oh my!

• Thank You 10
  • Love 1

We might get a der Untergang  bunker scene after all.

U.S. intelligence agencies have determined that Russian President Vladimir Putin is growing increasingly frustrated by his military struggles in Ukraine and may see his only option as doubling down on violence, current and former U.S. officials briefed on the matter told NBC News.

As the Russian economy teeters under unprecedented global sanctions and his purportedly superior military force appears bogged down, Putin has lashed out in anger at underlings, even as he remains largely isolated from the Kremlin in part because of concerns about Covid, the sources said.

“This is somebody that’s clearly been caught off guard by the size of the Ukrainian resistance,” Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., the chairman of the Intelligence Committee, said on MSNBC. “He has isolated himself. He’s not been in the Kremlin very much. ... You’ve got less and less inputs, and these inputs are from sycophants."

He added: "I do worry that he’s been backed into a corner. I do worry that there is no obvious exit ramp.”

I can suggest an exit ramp for Putin but it wouldn't be that nice.

• Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Any chance he could be convinced to take Trump with him?

• Upvote 9

It seems the Belarusian people aren't behind this invasion either. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Oh my!

What rights and benefits, if any, is Ukraine entitled to as an EU candidate?

How long might it take for membership to be approved?

• Upvote 6

It seems the Belarusian people aren't behind this invasion either. 

I'm not surprised. Many belarussians are sick of Lukashenko's corrupt regime. And he knows he is only holding his reign because Putin backing him. The longer the war lasts, the greater the chances that the belarussian people see their chance to get rid of him for good. Maybe that will be the training excerises for a civil war in Belarus.

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Honestly, I fear such a scenario. Hitler only offed himself because their wasn't anything left to throw at the allied forces and even then he ordered practically a scorched earth for Germany. With Putin in such a situation we can easily get to the point where he lauches the nuclear weapons in a "I will take you with me when I go" scenario.

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

It is a long and time consuming procedure. Before a country can join the EU they have to meet a lot of requirements. 

https://european-union.europa.eu/principles-countries-history/joining-eu_en#:~:text=A country wishing to join,agree upon a negotiating mandate.

https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/enlargement-policy/conditions-membership_en

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I’m not sure what benefits the candidate status has, I’ll have to look it up tomorrow (it’s late here and I’m on my phone in bed).

It can take years to be finally approved. They have to show compliance with a large set of requirements.

• Thank You 4

And now Russia is going to lose access to a bunch of cargo ships

Two of the world's biggest container shipping companies are halting cargo bookings to and from Russia.

"As the stability and safety of our operations is already being directly and indirectly impacted by sanctions, new Maersk bookings to and from Russia will be temporarily suspended, with exception of foodstuffs, medical and humanitarian supplies," shipping giant Maersk said in a statement on Tuesday.

MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company, a Swiss-owned container shipping line, also said it will stop all cargo bookings to and from Russia starting Tuesday. That will include "all access areas including Baltics, Black Sea and Far East Russia," the company said in a statement.

Another shipping company, CMA CGM, also suspended all bookings to and from Russia on Tuesday "in the interest of safety."

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

Anti-maskers can fuck off if they want to use Snider's song

Twisted Sister's Dee Snider is OK with Ukrainians using his smash hit, "We're Not Gonna Take It" as an act of defiance against the Russian invasion.

Anti-maskers? Absolutely not, he says.

"I absolutely approve of Ukrainians using 'We're Not Gonna Take It' as their battlecry," the rocker tweeted. "My grandfather was Ukrainian, before it was swallowed up by the USSR after WW2. This can't happen to these people again!"

But that favor does not extend to anti-maskers, he said, emphasizing that people disregarding public safety measures should not blast the classic tune to show defiance.

• Upvote 11

I’m not sure what benefits the candidate status has, I’ll have to look it up tomorrow (it’s late here and I’m on my phone in bed).

It can take years to be finally approved. They have to show compliance with a large set of requirements.

Thanks - I've been poking around but haven't found anything yet.

Am trying to figure out the near-term motivation for Ukraine's request for membership.  If there's no benefit during the crisis, then perhaps there would be afterwards; e.g., $$s and assistance for rebuilding.  OTOH, as things appear now, Ukraine could probably expect a lot of help anyway.

Another thought is that EU candidate status could somehow hinder Putin/Russia from claiming Ukraine as part of its territory.  No clue about the potential legalities, but the application certainly seems to demonstrate Ukraine's intent to ally itself elsewhere.  How might this make a difference?

I suspect there's also a PR element (and I'm not knocking it).

• Upvote 6

Looks like more of North America is being closed off to Russian planes

President Joe Biden will announce during Tuesday night's State of the Union that the US will ban Russian aircraft from US airspace, joining a growing number of countries who are closing their skies to Russia following President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, two sources familiar with the decision told CNN.

When asked if the Biden administration was considering this move in recent days, press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters that the number of US flights that fly over Russia to go to Asia and other parts of the world played a role in the decision.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the decision.

In recent days, the State Department has encouraged Americans in Russia to consider leaving immediately while there are still commercial flights out of the country.

Yeah they had to think of that cause Vlad Tepes II will probably do a tit for tat thing and ban US plans for Russian airspace. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• Upvote 7

Thank you to all who who are keeping us updated! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic