IGNORED

Russians: Now Using Poison Underpants

clueliss

53 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I hope this official request will be granted asap. Although I'm aware that there are drawbacks to accepting their request immediately, the one big advantage that I see will be that EU troops will be able to assist Ukraine against Russia. 

Hope this isn't a dumb question...is the EU really not allowed to send troops without the request being granted, or fully granted (vs. provisionally; e.g., until all elements are properly reviewed and approved), especially if Putin has indicated that he won't necessarily stop at Ukraine?

• Upvote 3

Turkey made some moves that could impact Russia

Turkey has officially labeled Russia's invasion of Ukraine as a war, in a move that experts said could potentially hinder some of Moscow's military activities in the region.

On Thursday, Russian forces launched a land, sea and air assault on Ukraine in the biggest attack by one state against another in Europe since World War Two.

Ukraine's ambassador to Turkey Vasyl Bodnar went on local television last week and appealed for the government in Ankara to close its key straits to Russian warships under provisions of the 1936 Montreux Convention. Turkey said it could only do so if it officially recognized the conflict as a war, and on Sunday, that's what it did.

The convention gives Turkey certain control over the passage of warships from the Dardanelles and Bosphorus Straits that connect the Aegean, Marmara, and Black Sea.

Closing off either the Bosphorus or the Dardanelles to Russian ships means any ships in the Black Sea looking to go to the Mediterranean and larger oceans would be blocked from doing so.  (The convention does allow ships to use the straits to return home even during a state of war).  

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

46 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Hope this isn't a dumb question...is the EU really not allowed to send troops without the request being granted, or fully granted 

The EU doesn't have an army. Every country has is own army, some countries work together, others don't. 

The EU started as a economic union, so there was never the need for an army. Not with NATO in the background. And I don't think there is enough trust between the countries. The speed in wich they agreed about the sanctions is unprecedented. Most of the times they argue for months. 

Edited by Workingmom
Spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 4

Venting here.

Reading and hearing lots of stuff about racism in reporting because Ukraine is getting more attention than Yemen, Syria, or Myanmar, etc. There is a huge difference between internal factions in a country fighting a civil war between themselves within their own borders and the invasion of a sovereign country by another. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

1 minute ago, Workingmom said:

The EU doesn't have an army. Every country has is own army, some countries work together, others don't. 

The EU started as a economic union, so there was never the need for an army. Not with NATO in the background. And I don't think there is enough trust between the countries. The speed in wich they agreed about the sanctions is unprecedented. Most of the times the argue for months. 

Oh, I know the EU doesn't have its own army (although it wishes it did, and this conflict may be a catalyst to move more towards a 'union' defense force). But the European countries could individually send troops to one of their member states, and that was what I was implying.

51 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Hope this isn't a dumb question...is the EU really not allowed to send troops without the request being granted, or fully granted (vs. provisionally; e.g., until all elements are properly reviewed and approved), especially if Putin has indicated that he won't necessarily stop at Ukraine?

No, not a dumb question at all. As said above, the EU does not have its own military, but each member state individually does. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Looking at an article on CNN right now Finland is going to send weapons to the Ukraine. $2,500 assault rifles $150,000 cartridges for attack rifles 1500 single shot anti-tank weapons 70,000 combat ration packages

• Upvote 6

The Russian economy is already in freefall.  The ruble is in the tank to the extent that their stock market was closed this morning.  The interest rate on loans has doubled...and it's only getting worse.   

Ordinary Russians are being fed amazing disinfo -- as noted in the Tweet posted above, that Ukrainians are baking pies for their liberators and so forth.  However, they'll be realizing something is up pretty quick. 

There may be a divide between younger heavy social media users of TikTok especially and youtube who can access what's going on.  The older generation isn't snapping to what's happening, but it may just be a matter of time.  

People in the West in phone contact with Russian family say that many have zero idea what's happening in Ukraine and are unaware of the tsunami of sanctions on the way that will cripple the Russian economy, both economic sanctions on banks and financial institutions and blocks on imports.  These sanctions may also block remittance money that people in the West send back to families back home in Russia. 

Meanwhile, Putin WILL NOT BACK DOWN.  Bombing of civilian infrastructure (apartment buildings, residential areas, business districts) will become more lethal and relentless.  If you don't think this is a possibility, revisit Russia's bombing campaign in Syria. Chemical warfare is not out of the question. Again, Syria. 

Putin is beyond isolated/insulated.  In photographs of  a recent meeting w/ business elements, Putin is sitting 30 to 50 ft away from these people in a huge room. 

In the latest photos, his closest economic advisors are sitting scrunched up very close together about 20 to 30 feet down a very long, narrow table from Putin. They look distressed.  In this same room, two generals are sitting side by side, again at the end of the same very long table from Putin, who is sitting alone at the head of this table.  

This is not normal.  Micheal McFaul, American ambassador to Russia for several years, noted that he's been a careful observer of Putin for 30 years.  He says that Putin does not seem "normal". 

Others note that he seems to listening only to the voice inside his own head.  None of this is good news.  

Might one of his advisors or generals make an attempt on his life?  Russians are very very good at poisoning.  Pretty certain that Putin has a taster and is in a state of paranoia. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 9

27 minutes ago, Howl said:

Might one of his advisors or generals make an attempt on his life?  Russians are very very good at poisoning.  Pretty certain that Putin has a taster and is in a state of paranoia. 

I think this is why he is down at the end of that long table.  He's terrified that someone will poison him the same way he's had so many other people poisoned.  I'm sure he has a food taster by now.  And he probably gets everyone patted down who approaches him to check for guns and knives.

He has backed himself into a corner.  I agree with @Howl that he's just going to get more violent.  I think it now depends on whether some senior cabinet member can grab the reins and remove Putin from power.  Like Trump, Putin is a narcissist but he's always been smarter and more calculating.  I don't know if he's got some dementia or if he's just isolated himself to a point where he doesn't believe in reality anymore.

• Upvote 10

16 minutes ago, Xan said:

I don't know if he's got some dementia or if he's just isolated himself to a point where he doesn't believe in reality anymore.

He believes in his reality.  I think the oligarchs will be his undoing. Their very, VERY nice lives are being upended, and who wants to be inconvenienced when you're a billionaire? 

Maybe not such a big deal, since the Russians have already moved many ships and a sub through the straits weeks ago for a "naval exercise"...but still good if true: 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Ordinary Russians are being fed amazing disinfo -- as noted in the Tweet posted above, that Ukrainians are baking pies for their liberators and so forth.  However, they'll be realizing something is up pretty quick. 

There may be a divide between younger heavy social media users of TikTok especially and youtube who can access what's going on.  The older generation isn't snapping to what's happening, but it may just be a matter of time.  

People in the West in phone contact with Russian family say that many have zero idea what's happening in Ukraine and are unaware of the tsunami of sanctions on the way that will cripple the Russian economy, both economic sanctions on banks and financial institutions and blocks on imports.  These sanctions may also block remittance money that people in the West send back to families back home in Russia. 

In regards to above. People from around the world started reviewing Russian restaurants on Google Maps. Instead of typical feedback they leave comments that Putin started invasion in Ukraine and kills civilians.

Very clever way to skip censorship and fight with disinfo. So, dear FreeJers, would you like to support this idea?😊

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Xan said:

I think this is why he is down at the end of that long table.  He's terrified that someone will poison him the same way he's had so many other people poisoned.  I'm sure he has a food taster by now.  And he probably gets everyone patted down who approaches him to check for guns and knives.

He has backed himself into a corner.  I agree with @Howl that he's just going to get more violent.  I think it now depends on whether some senior cabinet member can grab the reins and remove Putin from power.  Like Trump, Putin is a narcissist but he's always been smarter and more calculating.  I don't know if he's got some dementia or if he's just isolated himself to a point where he doesn't believe in reality anymore.

I know he also sat at a comically long table a few months ago when him and French President Macron talked in person. Macron said he refused to take a COVID test (I suspect he doesn't trust the Russians to not poison him) and that was given as the reason. I wonder how much of it is Putin's paranoia (I'm sure he has just as much lack of trust for Macron as Macron did for him) and even those in his own military not trusting Putin to not poison them. 

• Upvote 6

Just a few random from today:

Panzerfausts are on the way to Ukraine from Netherlands. They are called one-shot tank killers

Spoiler

IMG_20220228_210817.thumb.jpg.9039120f941d661b1c953612f42f77d1.jpg

Kadyrov and his sanctions. I haven't found any reliable source so possibly it is provocation to make kadyrov a fool. If it's true it is pure facepalm 🤣 i'm tottaly scared what happens with our world after the 31st of February 😁 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-02-28-21-06-21-495_com_sec.android_app.sbrowser.thumb.jpg.17f082aafcd98661df948a3a8540cc5f.jpgIMG_20220228_210705.thumb.jpg.560cacd1e4393df874bc7b9421a13613.jpg

Last but not least. Very encouraging and simply amazing solidarity in the world. When scrolling facebook post in a group I belong with help for Ukraine, I came across help offers from around the world. I am truly touched. Just a few Under spoiler. There are even people in US asking how they can help. Amazing 😘 

Spoiler

IMG_20220228_212819.thumb.jpg.6fb682dd86c106451b4c7b255d2db2d5.jpgScreenshot_2022-02-28-21-30-26-527_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.150633896fc3f5d1c5976e57921e5def.jpgScreenshot_2022-02-28-21-30-48-156_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.463d72351954eaa1627a1b62bffdec17.jpgScreenshot_2022-02-28-21-33-51-805_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.0fd92e42c87ab3535de4789a2a9f8338.jpgScreenshot_2022-02-28-21-36-33-297_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.216c0743890489e4b9ed078164181472.jpgScreenshot_2022-02-28-21-30-56-069_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.8ad859f7ca32acb3681ba1110c710811.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

Putin has a tendency to get more violent - but he has most of the world united against him. His army doesn‘t stand a chance against the NATO and the US army is still the biggest army in the world. Whatever he does next will be very expensive for him. It‘s not like he‘s able to start WW3 by himself.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, fish_ca said:

In regards to above. People from around the world started reviewing Russian restaurants on Google Maps. Instead of typical feedback they leave comments that Putin started invasion in Ukraine and kills civilians.

Very clever way to skip censorship and fight with disinfo. So, dear FreeJers, would you like to support this idea?😊

Please share.

Example if Review: 

Еда была отличной! К сожалению, Путин испортил наши аппетиты, вторгшись в Украину. Противостаньте своему диктатору, прекратите убивать невинных людей! Ваше правительство лжет вам. Вставай!

IMG_20220228_232420.thumb.jpg.cd0a93eb78b60794f2c108c98a509bb8.jpg

Edited by fish_ca
Adding example in Russian
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, I know the EU doesn't have its own army (although it wishes it did, and this conflict may be a catalyst to move more towards a 'union' defense force). But the European countries could individually send troops to one of their member states, and that was what I was implying.

No, not a dumb question at all. As said above, the EU does not have its own military, but each member state individually does. 

What might happen, and how quickly, if Ukraine is admitted to the EU?  Do you believe countries would send troops individually or would they attempt to coordinate/set up a coalition?  Also, what would be the impact, if any, on EU countries deciding to stay out of it?

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Meanwhile, Putin WILL NOT BACK DOWN.  Bombing of civilian infrastructure (apartment buildings, residential areas, business districts) will become more lethal and relentless.  If you don't think this is a possibility, revisit Russia's bombing campaign in Syria. Chemical warfare is not out of the question. Again, Syria.

Putin is beyond isolated/insulated.  In photographs of  a recent meeting w/ business elements, Putin is sitting 30 to 50 ft away from these people in a huge room.

I also don't believe he'll back down, at least willingly, but continue to wonder about his true motivations for the invasion.  I'm not inclined to blame acute mental illness, at least at this point.  I do think he underestimated the pushback; however, he should have foreseen the possibility.  Was it considered acceptable risk in light of whatever's driving him?

I'm concerned about chemical attacks, especially as it's difficult to identify and mitigate until the damage is done and could occur (IMO) essentially anywhere.  If he really won't stop then I doubt he'd feel bound by the tenets of more traditional warfare.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Somebody is not mincing his words.

I just wish we all could fast forward this real life movie to the scene where Putin is holed up in bunker somewhere reenacting the part of Der Untergang where he's yelling at Russian generals because their version of Felix Steiner refused to carry out some insane orders Putin wanted him to carry out.

• Upvote 7

A Russian airline flight to NYC had to go back to Russia mid flight. 

On Sunday, the European Union and Canada officially banned Russian airlines from using their airspace. While the United States hasn’t yet banned Aeroflot, it looks like Aeroflot may be canceling flights to the United States due to lack of feasible routings to operate these flights, at least temporarily.

This was most evident on Aeroflot 124 from Moscow (SVO) to New York (JFK) on Sunday, February 27, 2022. The flight was supposed to depart at 2:40PM and arrive at 5:20PM, and was operated by a Boeing 777-300ER with the registration code VP-BHA.

The flight took off roughly on schedule, and continued a standard northerly routing for around four hours, over Finland and Sweden, and then toward Greenland.

However, I suppose the news that both the EU and Canada are banning Aeroflot caused Aeroflot’s operations people to cut their losses while they could, and have the flight return to base. Without being able to use Canadian airspace, odds are that the plane didn’t have enough fuel to land in New York, and where can the plane even really refuel at that point?

• Upvote 7

Because of course he believes this and is spewing.

• Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 9
  • WTF 9

Just now, clueliss said:

Because of course he believes this and is spewing.

I refuse to call that sack of shit a man of God cause he sure as fuck ain’t one.  This is the same fuck stick who blamed the Haitian earthquake on those who overthrew their French enslavers and said they made a deal with Satan. Despite their all being one billion trillion times the Christian he is.

(My new church in St. Paul does a lot of work supporting Haiti so I really despise Robertson now). 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

Can god compel Robertson to fade into retirement and actually stay there? Seems an easier ask than trying to invade Israel from Ukraine. 

I mean sure, one day the world will come to an end, and I’m sure someone’s “prediction” will  “come true”, but I’m pretty sure Robertson won’t be around to see it. Keith Richards might be, but he’s not (as far as I know) making any predictions about it. 

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • Upvote 10

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic