IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 9: Biden Wins Again And Continues Building An Administration

GreyhoundFan

35 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

The difference is that you guys vote for a party, not necessarily a person. Over here, we vote for people who are listed per party. Lists differ in length according to the size of a party, And we have a lot of political parties. Hence the need for such big ballots. It looks like the ballot for this year (March 17) is going to be just as big, of not bigger than the one pictured in my earlier post, as there are more eligible parties than ever this year. A total number of 39 parties are actually eligible to be on the ballot, but it could be even more as 89 (yes, you read that right eighty nine!) parties have been registered. 

Apart from the 13 more 'normal' political parties (mainstream left, right and centrist) who are currently part of the Second Chamber there are all manner of weird and wonderful political parties. These are literal translations of their names-- you may guess for yourself what they stand for :pb_wink:.

• JESUS LIVES (yes, in all caps)
  • Child Party
  • Nexit
  • Party with no name
  • Young
  • Code Orange
  • The Pirate Party

Oh I want to be a member of the pirate ?‍☠️ party.  Do I get my own parrot ? 

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I don't vote 'for a party.'  I vote for someone typically affiliated with a party who is running for a particular office.  And, I don't belong to a party because I'm an intentionally unaffiliated voter. 

I changed my registration to ‘unaffiliated’ just last night. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I don't vote 'for a party.'  I vote for someone typically affiliated with a party who is running for a particular office.  And, I don't belong to a party because I'm an intentionally unaffiliated voter. 

Everybody is unaffiliated here, unless you’re running for office. It would be completely unheard of to officially state what party you adhere to. You can choose to become a member of a party, but that’s between you and the party and nobody else’s business.

Of course I know you vote for people, but it’s not like there are options per party, rather it’s just one candidate and their running mate, and that’s what I meant. (I am not referring to primaries of course).

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

I liked Gabriel Sterling's righteous anger debunking all the BS. (but he's superscared that dems will win the runoff).

Our ballots look like this

kuva.png.3effe5837926e1459780770bd98d7c15.png

There is a plane going to Scotland on the 19th and speculation that Trump is planning to be on it.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18984381.donald-trump-could-ditch-inauguration-turnberry-trip/

He will be flying straight into a lockdown. (As of midnight tonight) Not that that will bother him. We don’t want him. Not at all. Never. Ever. Nope . Just nope. 

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

He will be flying straight into a lockdown. (As of midnight tonight) Not that that will bother him. We don’t want him. Not at all. Never. Ever. Nope . Just nope. 

I’ll give everyone a puppy, kitten and chocolate ice cream (THREE scoops) if you take him 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11

2 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I’ll give everyone a puppy, kitten and chocolate ice cream (THREE scoops) if you take him 

Hmmm.. puppy tick, chocolate tick, kitten no - I’m allergic. Don’t like ice cream. Hmmm. No we still don’t want him!! There must be a vast empty mountainside somewhere between USA and Scotland where the pilot and crew could ‘accidentally’ eject him?? Yes?? Pretty please?

• Upvote 8

28 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Of course I know you vote for people, but it’s not like there are options per party, rather it’s just one candidate and their running mate, and that’s what I meant. (I am not referring to primaries of course).

Not always.  This year we had two from the same party running for at least two maybe three offices.  Normally we have what we call primaries to figure out who will run from each party.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Cleta MItchell was in the WH and part of the call to Raffensperger: 

Firm Response to Reports of Partner Cleta Mitchell’s Involvement in Post-Election Challenges

("Firm" refers to the law firm Foley and Lardner LLP, rather than the relative strength of their response.)

Bye, Cleta, and don't forget #ETTD (Everything Trump Touches Dies)

Is this the legal version of a burn notice?

WIKI: A "burn notice" is an official statement issued by an intelligence agency to other agencies. It states that an asset or intelligence source is unreliable for one or several reasons, often fabrication, and must be officially disavowed.

Yeah this might just very well be a burn notice on the part of the firm.

Interestingly enough Foley and Lardner had as alumni

• Barack Obama (Summer associate).
  • Jim Doyle (Governor of Wisconsin right before ol Scottie Wanker).
  • Russ Feingold (Associate at Madison office).

So Cleta might be wearing out her welcome at the firm pretty damn quick.

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

The difference is that you guys vote for a party, not necessarily a person. Over here, we vote for people who are listed per party. Lists differ in length according to the size of a party, And we have a lot of political parties. Hence the need for such big ballots. It looks like the ballot for this year (March 17) is going to be just as big, of not bigger than the one pictured in my earlier post, as there are more eligible parties than ever this year. A total number of 39 parties are actually eligible to be on the ballot, but it could be even more as 89 (yes, you read that right eighty nine!) parties have been registered. 

Apart from the 13 more 'normal' political parties (mainstream left, right and centrist) who are currently part of the Second Chamber there are all manner of weird and wonderful political parties. These are literal translations of their names-- you may guess for yourself what they stand for :pb_wink:.

• JESUS LIVES (yes, in all caps)
  • Child Party
  • Nexit
  • Party with no name
  • Young
  • Code Orange
  • The Pirate Party

Back in 2010 when I was in Italy I remember seeing signs for some of the political parties.  Our tour director definitely didn't like "the horrible and disgusting" Silvio Burlesconi and said it would be hard to find someone who voted for the Italian version of the Orange Load.  They had a number of parties too and our TD explained that the parties didn't exactly correspond to what we were used to in the states. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

All the mail in and absentee ballots obliterated the chances of his fix working, and it completely blindsided him. 

Also a lot of formerly die-hard Republicans hate Trump. So they voted GOP down ticket but either left the prez ticket blank or voted for Biden.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

Hmmm.. puppy tick, chocolate tick, kitten no - I’m allergic. Don’t like ice cream. Hmmm. No we still don’t want him!! There must be a vast empty mountainside somewhere between USA and Scotland where the pilot and crew could ‘accidentally’ eject him?? Yes?? Pretty please?

Are any of the Aleutian Islands uninhabited? He can be closer to Putin. 
I think Indigenous Peoples live on many of them, so we can’t drop him on any of those. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.414101836dad102736b4c132e9678d56.png

I would enjoy an investigation into at least the first, followed by some forensic analysis of bank accounts of Trump cronies.

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Yep. About a decade ago, we changed over to voting machines. Turned out, they were easily hackable, and no alternative machines were trustworthy enough either. And with Putin renowned for his hacking, we quickly went back to paper ballots and red pencils. Tallying votes takes longer, and we're back to humongous paper ballots. With a teeny tiny font (7pt or thereabouts)-- and they're double sided. But everyone agrees it's worth it to safeguard democratic and safe elections.

And no, I am really not exaggerating when I say they are humongous. This was the actual ballot for the 2017 national elections:

image.png.4c941f6afa8bb45a1b3e7b1ff7ea3192.png 

Is all of the Netherlands one electorate then? 

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Where was that new volcanic island near Iceland? Is that still uninhabited?

• Upvote 5

Since Trump considers global warming to be fake news I'm say we need to put him on an iceberg. While he can't have a whole golf course he could still have a few holes. He could also be the king of his own kingdom. And if it turns out global warming is true, Trump can discover that himself.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Everybody is unaffiliated here, unless you’re running for office. It would be completely unheard of to officially state what party you adhere to. You can choose to become a member of a party, but that’s between you and the party and nobody else’s business.

How can you be unaffiliated if you choose to become a member of a party?

• Upvote 2

I didn't know worms could be douchebags, but Hawley pulls it off:

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Is all of the Netherlands one electorate then? 

Yes. One person, one vote. It doesn’t matter where you live. We tally our votes per county, but that’s just for expediency. It’s not like one party gets the majority of votes in a county, so therefore all votes in that county go to that particular party. 
All votes for a certain party across the country, regardless of county, are tallied up. If that number exceeds the threshold (percentage of the vote total) they get a seat in the second chamber. The more votes, the more seats. There are a total of 150 seats to be shared. 

• Thank You 7

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Are any of the Aleutian Islands uninhabited?

Yes, but I don't want him in Alaska. Maybe he can figure out how to live on Rat Island, which has been eradicated from Rats. But that would mess up whatever science they are doing there. 

• Love 6

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

How can you be unaffiliated if you choose to become a member of a party?

You and I may have a different concept of affiliation, I think. What I mean is, nobody needs to register affiliation with a party. I can become a member of a party in order to influence their policies and financially support them, but no other entity will know that other than the party and myself, or people I choose to tell. 
It’s not like I need to register as a Democrat, or as a Republican, or as an Independent voter. 
Does my answer make sense, or am I not quite understanding the definition of political affiliation and how it works in the US? 

• Thank You 7

8 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

You and I may have a different concept of affiliation, I think. What I mean is, nobody needs to register affiliation with a party. I can become a member of a party in order to influence their policies and financially support them, but no other entity will know that other than the party and myself, or people I choose to tell. 
It’s not like I need to register as a Democrat, or as a Republican, or as an Independent voter. 
Does my answer make sense, or am I not quite understanding the definition of political affiliation and how it works in the US? 

Each state is a little different.

In Virginia, where I live, you don't register by party. The only time you even mention it is during primary season when you are asked if you want a Dem primary ballot or a Rep primary ballot. Many people purposely vote in the primary of the party they don't plan to vote in for the general election. This is to skew results. My BFF and her husband voted for Rubio in the 2016 primary, in the hope that Twitler wouldn't win the R nomination. They both voted for Hillary in the general election.

A good friend of mine is in Pennsylvania. His wife registered as Dem and he registered as Independent, though there's nothing obligating either to vote for the candidates affiliated with any party.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

2 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

A good friend of mine is in Pennsylvania. His wife registered as Dem and he registered as Independent, though there's nothing obligating either to vote for the candidates affiliated with any party.

I’m a bit flummoxed. What purpose does it serve to register in this case? 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

50 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Yes, but I don't want him in Alaska. Maybe he can figure out how to live on Rat Island, which has been eradicated from Rats. But that would mess up whatever science they are doing there. 

How about Russia or North Korea? 

• I Agree 6

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Yes. One person, one vote. It doesn’t matter where you live. We tally our votes per county, but that’s just for expediency. It’s not like one party gets the majority of votes in a county, so therefore all votes in that county go to that particular party. 
All votes for a certain party across the country, regardless of county, are tallied up. If that number exceeds the threshold (percentage of the vote total) they get a seat in the second chamber. The more votes, the more seats. There are a total of 150 seats to be shared. 

No, that was what I was asking, I misread your reply the first time - rest in spoiler

Spoiler

Australia is broken up into electorates representing roughly the same number of people and then in the House of Representatives people run on behalf of a party or as independents. For the Senate our form looks more similar to yours because the entire state is the electorate, and you can either vote preferentially by party or by individual - the senators for each state are roughly proportional to the vote for each party (excepting preference deals, which for complicated reasons occasionally makes it interesting).  From what you're saying the Netherlands is pretty much how I would think of one electorate.

Also yes whoever gets the majority of the votes in an electorate is elected, although that can also be complicated due to preferential voting - the candidate with the largest number of first preference votes may not win. 

So for us the Rep ballot is a lot smaller because most parties won't have a candidate running in each electorate (the lowest mine has gotten is five I think - kudos to the TM mob who continually field candidates despite a stunning lack of success).  The Senate ballot is not quite as extreme, but usually manages to be over a metre long.

Edited by Ozlsn
Reading comprehension
  • Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

How about Russia or North Korea? 

The Aleutians aren't in Russia or NK. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

The Aleutians aren't in Russia or NK. 

I know, but since he loved the Dear Leader and Putin so much I’d be fine having him be an ex pat. 

• Upvote 5

• Destiny locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic