IGNORED

Coronavirus 4

GreyhoundFan

A small rant ahead because I’m so frustrated. My coworker had an unmasked big holiday thanksgiving. Came to work yesterday and today. This morning she found out one person who was at thanksgiving has tested positive. So basically she’s put all of us at risk, despite our case numbers rising and LITERALLY EVERY SOURCE saying don’t have a big family thanksgiving. I’m just so angry. It’s so, so selfish. Now her coworkers are out pending testing and guess what? They don’t get to make any money for that time. So you think your stupid dry turkey is worth risking people’s lives and livelihoods...UGH. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 16

So the CDC has decided to reduce the quarantine time to 7 to 10 days.  And to me it sounds like it was done, not because that is the correct time period, but because we can’t get dumbass idiot Americans to keep their butts at home for the full 14 days.  

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4

9 hours ago, clueliss said:

So the CDC has decided to reduce the quarantine time to 7 to 10 days.  And to me it sounds like it was done, not because that is the correct time period, but because we can’t get dumbass idiot Americans to keep their butts at home for the full 14 days.  

If people can't afford to stay home for 14 days, what makes them think they can afford to stay home for 7? 

I honestly wish there wasn't this lame duck period, because so much could be being done with a competent federal government right now.

19 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

A small rant ahead because I’m so frustrated. My coworker had an unmasked big holiday thanksgiving. Came to work yesterday and today. This morning she found out one person who was at thanksgiving has tested positive. So basically she’s put all of us at risk, despite our case numbers rising and LITERALLY EVERY SOURCE saying don’t have a big family thanksgiving. I’m just so angry. It’s so, so selfish. Now her coworkers are out pending testing and guess what? They don’t get to make any money for that time. So you think your stupid dry turkey is worth risking people’s lives and livelihoods...UGH. 

I do not understand some people, honestly. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

It's even worse when those Covidiots are somehow family, as my youngest step sister and her in-laws are all not taking this seriously, as they all traveled from Utah to Downtown Disney last Friday so one of her SIL's could get engaged with the family being there. They did wear masks because they couldn't have gotten into Downtown Disney otherwise, but it was all extremely stupid. In her case, it's even more reckless as she not only has children 4 and under, but she's got at least one underlying health condition that puts her at greater risk of complications if she got Covid. There's no way I can understand such behavior, but I guess it could be worse, they all could have flown to the real Florida and visited Disneyworld instead.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

I've heard of people literally losing their jobs over quarantines. So then they don't quarantine at all. And for those of us in "at will" states, it's perfectly legal to be fired on account of missing work for it. Don't blame people who are trying to keep themselves and their families fed and sheltered. Blame the system that allows employers to behave badly. 

Update on my aunt with Covid: As I said before, she was all over the place exposing herself prior to her diagnosis and insisted she got it at the grocery store (the only place she was actually wearing a mask and not socializing). She found out now that 7 other people in their tiny church have it, including the pastor and his wife. She refuses to believe that any of them got it from each other at church unless "there was something going on that no one knew about it". My brother: "A worldwide pandemic that's on the news every four minutes; that's what was going on!" (Mind you, 8 people is roughly 10% of that congregation and I'm sure it's more by now as she last heard a number Monday and they continue to have non-distanced, unmasked services in spite of their outbreak). 

Her husband allegedly tested negative even though he had symptoms last weekend. But he also lies about his medical conditions all the time and we're not sure he actually got tested. Both continue to be ill. So their idiot son and his wife brought food to them this week and hung around the house to eat with them. And their granddaughter WHO WORKS IN A NURSING HOME has visited regularly. 

As I said before, this branch of my family is one of the reasons America can't have nice things. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2
  • Love 6

14 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

That is what leadership looks like. Not the tweeting toddler..I actually hope between toddlers says he had the virus and so he's not getting a shot.  We will let him be the guinea pig and see what it's like to get covid twice.

The supreme Court today just sent the decision back to California that since they've ruled the churches in New York can be open without restrictions then California needs to rethink their closing churches. I don't get them period not only do they want to tell people about Jesus they want to help them get to see him faster.

• Upvote 7

On 12/1/2020 at 8:53 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Idk when I'm going to see my daughter again and the people not taking it seriously prolong that and it makes me so mad.

I have posted about in-law family especially that aren't taking it seriously though it seems that FIL and MIL are getting a clue finally.    SIL thinks it's no big deal and sees her parents sans mask "because they don't have it" but totally missing the part that she could possibly give it them.   She also went into Chicago for Thanksgiving where technically she is supposed to quarantine because she travels all the time to a state on the city's quarantine list.   And her daughter and fam went to a water park where pictures are posted on FB, sans masks of course in public spaces.

And they all scream about how Mr. No and I are "living in fear" because we aren't going anywhere and in particular will not see them.   Damn straight we are living in fear, we don't want to get this thing and trying to get to the other side of this, namely to the point when the vaccine is available to us.  Oh and FIL / MIL will not take the vaccine because SIL, who's a screaming anti-vaxxer, thinks "it won't work anyway". 

Honestly it's to the point where if any of them get this, I am going to have a very hard time mustering any sympathy.    

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

My son and his girlfriend only mask if is absolutely required. They have each tested negative three times since September. Her for exposure to others, he tested once for exposure and twice for pre medical procedures. We might see them for a few minutes a couple times a month when they help with some heavy carrying at our house, and thats mostly outside. My husband does all the grocery shopping and other errands and I stay home. We both have health issues that classify us as vulnerable. Husband has surgery scheduled for later this month, so we are trying extra hard to stay healthy. Seeing all the idiots running around unmasked and in all kinds of groups is just horrifying. I'm in a state that has some of the most cases per population. We live in a very small town, about 600 people.  I know at least 20 people here who have been positive and 7 who have died. That's bad.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

When i was working full time, I had 3 sick days per year. Since I was our sole source of income, I did work when I shouldn't have. Wonder what I would have done during Covid? If I missed more than three days. I would have been fired. Some employers are total jack asses!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I've heard of people literally losing their jobs over quarantines. So then they don't quarantine at all. And for those of us in "at will" states, it's perfectly legal to be fired on account of missing work for it. Don't blame people who are trying to keep themselves and their families fed and sheltered. Blame the system that allows employers to behave badly. 

Oh believe me, I blame the system and lack of leadership that lets it continue. From an outside perspective it is both horrifying and frustrating - even if a vaccine becomes available tomorrow and starts being rolled out first thing Monday we are still going to keep having outbreaks because the same people who won't wear masks will refuse to take the vaccine because the internet told them it was unsafe.  

Even with a vaccine and theoretical full uptake it is not going to get back to post-covid normal quickly.

Employers should be requiring staff to wear masks if they are in close contact with people (whether other staff or customers), to work from home where possible, and should be directing people to stay home if required to quarantine - and should be liable from a legal standpoint if they are not taking basic precautions to maintain a safe workplace. Governments should be supporting employers and employees in being able to do so, and ensuring compliance.

One thing I read was that "epidemics expose the weaknesses in the system". They did and are continuing to here, in Singapore, in Europe, in North America, and probably everywhere else (you can pick what I've read more on). For us it brought out that the casualisation of workers had major impacts on being able to slow spread (among other things), for Singapore that controlling the virus in your population won't work unless your migrant workers also have access to testing, care and quarantine (again among other things).  Hopefully we can get through and fix some of the holes before the next time.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 9

One of the biggest things we need to remember and pass on is that pandemics will continue to occur and we need to not get complacent.  There are so many lessons from 1918 that have been ignored or were forgotten far too long.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

Unfortunately, there are too many stupid, selfish people who will never learn that this virus is no joke. They will also make the next pandemic even worse than this one.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

Southern California region dropped to 13% ICU capacity last night and stay at home goes into effect at 1:00 PM today.  

That was a drop from 20% ICU capacity just a day or so earlier.  

Stay safe everyone.  I wonder how many of the cheaters wearing their masks under their noses are now in the hospital.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Southern California region dropped to 13% ICU capacity last night and stay at home goes into effect at 1:00 PM today.  

That was a drop from 20% ICU capacity just a day or so earlier.  

Stay safe everyone.  I wonder how many of the cheaters wearing their masks under their noses are now in the hospital.  

I am in the far northern region of California, in a county where the available ICU beds are always zero, because our two little hospitals don't have any in the first place.

This means that anyone with a need for "serious" hospitalization, for covid or otherwise, gets transported out of the area.

Not a time to feel good about having to rely on the available ICU capacity of surrounding urban hospitals.

Our "naturally socially distanced lifestyle" kept the virus from hitting us for several months.  Our county had their first cases in July -- we were the very last county in the state to get a first case.  

For a while each positive case or group of cases would be recovered before the next cases showed up.  They were all travel related.  Then community spread appeared.  Now it's multiple cases a day (the whole county is less than 10,000 people so percentwise this is a lot) and lots of them are school-aged kids and elderly.  Fortunately it's not in the residents of our long-term care facilities yet, although at least one staff person has gotten it.  Our ambulance crew has been exposed and I don't think they have proper PPE.

Of course hardly anyone here wears masks of any sort.  Many businesses are still open, including restaurants for dining in.

Our Sheriff has loudly announced that his department will not be enforcing any covid rules that limit people's freedoms.  So most government offices and a few businesses are complying while plenty aren't.  We have no mail delivery here -- everyone gets their mail from PO boxes in the lobby of the post office -- where masks are not being enforced!

On the plus side at least we can always go for a walk or drive without encountering others.  We have fresh air and wide open landscapes for those of us opting away from indoors activities with others.  

I have a piece of vacant land ten miles out of town and this year have had sheds built, a well drilled, and currently fencing is going up.  All outdoor activities done by 1-2 people at a time and the closest I get without a mask is a brief outdoor conversation and handing them a check.

In town I am now double masking and I'm wearing my hoarded n95s*, rotating them to only wear each once per week or longer, and covering them with a cloth washable mask.  I am beyond caring about the odd looks...

*I have offered some packs of n95s to the ambulance crew and so far been told thanks but not needed.  I have some unopened packs to donate if they change their minds.

/covidrant

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

I'm posting this even though a member of an Eastern Orthodox church.  I haven't attended in ages because of the risk of illness and doctor's advice to stay home every year during cold and flu season.   The belief that communion can't transmit illness is one that has nearly driven me out of church at times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/world/greece-orthodox-church-coronavirus.html

One bishop, Anthimos of Alexandroupolis, condemned those who, with “criminal sermons,” have urged Greeks to ignore public health restrictions.

“We believed we were supermen. We hid the fact that we’d been infected by the virus and were led to the grave,” he wrote in an article posted online last month. “Pious Egotism Kills!” he added.

I need to hang onto the phrase Pious Egotism Kills.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 11
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm posting this even though a member of an Eastern Orthodox church.  I haven't attended in ages because of the risk of illness and doctor's advice to stay home every year during cold and flu season.   The belief that communion can't transmit illness is one that has nearly driven me out of church at times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/world/greece-orthodox-church-coronavirus.html

I need to hang onto the phrase Pious Egotism Kills.

I've got some scripture for them. How about, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Howl said:

So, good news! 

I hope this gets a lot of coverage.  That should certainly improve mask compliance among that part of the population.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic