IGNORED

Coronavirus 4

GreyhoundFan

32 minutes ago, Becky said:

For what it’s worth, my doctor was very reassuring when I asked her about it. She said that the procedure to create a new vaccine is well known and has been proven safe and effective over the years. She is confident no corners have been cut, she will take the vaccine herself and she will recommend her patients take it.

If you have a regular doctor you trust, you might want to reach out in order to get good information regarding the vaccine. 

Yeah once it’s available to me I’ll get the shot. If the experts are on board and we have guys like Clinton and Obama willing to receive than I have no problem.

That said I will see what my doctor says about it just to see if there are any concerns but I don’t think he’ll have any. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I think (at least this is the conversation playing in my mind) it's because it's so new and there's no way to understand long term effects of something that has only existed for a few months. I don't feel like they cut corners with safety, because they still had to go through all the appropriate trials, but it still feels a little like being a guinea pig. That's not to say I won't get it, or that the benefit of getting it doesn't outweigh the risks, but I completely understand where people are coming from when they say that it makes them uncomfortable. We're not used to being "first in line" for medical treatments; we're used to receiving tried and true vaccines/medications/therapies.

If it helps at all, this is a modified vaccine, not a completely new invention. I am definitely not an expert but I spoke to someone in the vax development field about it recently and they very much helped me to put my fears to rest.

A SARS vaccine has been available (and has been safely used) for many, many years. Covid is a SARS virus, so my understanding is that they modified the exisiting vaccine.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Becky said:

For what it’s worth, my doctor was very reassuring when I asked her about it. She said that the procedure to create a new vaccine is well known and has been proven safe and effective over the years. She is confident no corners have been cut, she will take the vaccine herself and she will recommend her patients take it.

If you have a regular doctor you trust, you might want to reach out in order to get good information regarding the vaccine. 

Our personal physician has recommended both my husband and I have the vaccine as soon as its available for us. Our ages (71 and 74), health issues (COPD, diabetes, heart issues) all mean we should, but I'm still hesitant. Maybe by the time it's available in our very rural area, I'll feel better about it.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I just sent a message to my doctor so I'll see what he comes back with in the next day or so.  Unless he has a real good reason why I shouldn't I do want to get the vaccine so I can do my part in putting this giant cluster fuck behind us.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

My doctor just responded back that he has no concern with either the Pfizer or Moderna and is planning on getting one as soon as they come in. Which sounds like in the next month for him. 

19 minutes ago, clueliss said:

In Pandemic world - why are this idiots going to see Santa?

I hope when my niece goes to see Santa next year she’s happy to see him. She was not a happy camper last year. 

• Upvote 7

On 12/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, adidas said:

If it helps at all, this is a modified vaccine, not a completely new invention. I am definitely not an expert but I spoke to someone in the vax development field about it recently and they very much helped me to put my fears to rest.

A SARS vaccine has been available (and has been safely used) for many, many years. Covid is a SARS virus, so my understanding is that they modified the exisiting vaccine.

I just wanted to add to this - the vaccine hasn't been rushed. It usually takes longer because basically there is less money available, so fewer people working on it. There has been a lot of money thrown at vaccine development this year, and as a result a huge number of people working on development, cell, animal and human trials and crunching the data. About the only people allowed to work in research labs here for a while were people working on covid vaccine development. 

Basically we could develop vaccines this quickly all the time, but usually we prioritise other things.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

I believe I posted at some point about the allegations about Tyson Supervisors betting on who would get covid. - Well - 7 have been fired now.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

20 hours ago, clueliss said:

In Pandemic world - why are this idiots going to see Santa?

There's a couple in our neighborhood who dress up as Santa and Mrs. Claus, and in normal years, parents can drop off a gift for their child, then they pick a Saturday where Santa and Mrs. Claus go around delivering all the gifts. They obviously aren't comfortable going into people's homes this year, but they wanted to still do something. The fire chief also lives in our neighborhood, so he volunteered to have one of the trucks drive Santa around this Saturday to he can wave to the kids; other neighbors volunteered to ride behind the truck and toss out candy canes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

45 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

There's a couple in our neighborhood who dress up as Santa and Mrs. Claus, and in normal years, parents can drop off a gift for their child, then they pick a Saturday where Santa and Mrs. Claus go around delivering all the gifts. They obviously aren't comfortable going into people's homes this year, but they wanted to still do something. The fire chief also lives in our neighborhood, so he volunteered to have one of the trucks drive Santa around this Saturday to he can wave to the kids; other neighbors volunteered to ride behind the truck and toss out candy canes. 

When I was a kid this happened in my neighborhood every 4th of July.  A firetruck would go down all the streets where Santa would toss out candy (regular candy, not candy canes, but still.)

One of those things you just accept as a kid without questioning, but as an adult looking back wtf with Santa in July?  Did someone get drunk on the planning committee one year and then they just continued the weirdness.

I actually need an answer for this now.

I think what you're neighbors and fire chief are doing is so sweet!

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I believe I posted at some point about the allegations about Tyson Supervisors betting on who would get covid. - Well - 7 have been fired now.

Yeah #CovidKim wanted to keep the plant going no matter what - no doubt because she's pretty fornicating deep in their pockets.  She listens to only reich wing extremists and wealthy well connected business interests.  Regular people in this here state can go self fornicate themselves as far as she's concerned. 

• Upvote 5

Yes, employers can require vaccinations

As some people decide if they even want the vaccine, one question that many are asking is can an employer require workers get vaccinated? `Associate Professor of Law Anya Prince with University of Iowa says the short answer is yes. She says most employees work at will, and a company can make the vaccine mandatory, and fire a person if they choose not to get the shot.

There are some exceptions. Prince says a person can be excused for medical or reasons of a person’s faith. The medical issues could be something as common as allergies.

Awaiting the BT freak out over this.  

• Upvote 3

On 12/18/2020 at 1:57 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Some employers, on the other hand...

Yeah that's the kind of thing ER's Robert Romano would do to the residents and front line staff, put them at the back of the line and make sure all the big shots who worked for but never stepped foot in the hospital were front in line.

Fuck you Stanford.  Support the front line workers first you pieces of shit.

• Upvote 8

In personal news, my youngest is out of quarantine after getting exposed, and he has not developed any symptoms.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 16

Found out today that someone I knew from school about 25 years back passed from covid back in April of this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 11

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. This is purportedly from the Indianapolis Star in 1918:

1918.jpg.94fb21f800386d600b9370e6e5e393d8.jpg

Apparently they had Gary Hawkinses back then, too.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

In yet another example of the incompetence of the Fed response to this pandemic, 14 states are receiving fewer vaccines than promised due to, er, confusion. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/19/world/operation-warp-speed-vaccine-delivery-problems.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20201220&instance_id=25246&nl=the-morning&regi_id=117896100&segment_id=47427&te=1&user_id=2b8adf6220fd711b458af1ca3c68bca7
My state, California, is one of those 14 states. I must say I am absolutely fed up w/ my liberal governor - Newsom’s handling of the whole thing, he mandates strict distancing rules, but has done zero enforcement, thus the third wave we are experiencing w/ our ICUs full. I realize he can’t control county police departments or sheriff’s offices - but he could pull state money from those counties that refuse to enforce distancing and IME w/ 35 years working for the government, people change their tune when you threaten to cut their budget. Heck, I walk most days in a state marine reserve, I see the state employee ranger most days, he ignores mask free folks walking by him on the 3’ wide trails, when chairs/tents/coolers were banned from the beach he let visitors set up their ‘compounds’ for a day at the beach. Plus, Newsom & his cronies flouted his own rules w/ their little French Laundry debacle. https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/politics/gavin-newsom-french-laundry-california-governor/index.html
And typical of the absolute failure to communicate that’s been the norm in the 9 months people of my age have been ordered by CA to shelter at home, there’s no communication about where, when, or how we are to receive the vaccine. We old folks are supposed to receive the vaccine in phase 1b - so fairly early - yet there’s been no communication about what that means.

In other news my IPhone keeps alerting me that I can sign up to be notified if I’ve had contact w/ a Covid+ person, https://canotify.ca.gov/#section2, interesting concept, but too little too late IMO. Now if they could use the data to see that I’ve been dutifully complying w/ no travel, keep my ass out of indoor dinning, group gatherings, etc. and use that data to move me up the queue for a vaccine ahead of the people who’ve flouted the rules, then I’d sign up.

Sorry for the vent, and thanks for listening :(

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

That’s what pisses me off more even more than the response of the Fuckmuppet and his groupies is all the own goals on our own side. I don’t fucking care what your hair looks like or what celebrations you forego but I fucking hate people who demand things of others that they aren’t willing to endure themselves. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Mr. No and I signed up at our county's health department website to be notified when a vaccine is available.  We expect it to be several months but we plan on getting the vaccine at the first opportunity whether it's the county health department, doctors or Walgreen's, don't really care, just want to get it.  Mr. No expects to get his first because of age. 

Certainly I will be watching to see how the vaccination rollout goes, whether there's any serious reaction issues and all that but don't see any reason whatsoever not for us to get vaccinated at this point.  If any issues crop up, we will evaluate then. 

• Upvote 6

Australian update - there has been a cluster outbreak in Sydney, which most likely originated from flight crew (given how exposed they are this is not that surprising.) As a result internal borders here are slamming shut again, and chaos is ensuing as people rejig Christmas plans. I hope they will bring it under control again soon - It's at 83 positive cases right now, but with testing and quarantining it will hopefully drop in the next two weeks. It is a reminder that we still need to stay vigilant, even when we think it's safe - this is an infectious virus that spreads easily, and unfortunately we're not great at maintaining new behaviours without a perceived present threat. Meanwhile one friend currently in quarantine in Sydney is unsure if she will be able to return to her family in WA, which has shut the border; my SIL's parents (who travelled to Sydney to stay with her brother for Christmas) are trying to work out whether to return home to QLD tonight before the border shuts; my sister is trying to work out how the restrictions affect her in laws travelling from about 4 different states/parts of NSW, and dammit, this is crap timing for everyone. Bring on this bloody vaccine - and after first line healthcare workers I think flight crews should be up there too.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Is the Qld border shutting tonight?? I thought it was banning hotspots and if Qld residents don’t get home before 1am they have to quarantine? I wouldn’t put it past Annastacia though, she is brutal.

We don’t know what to do about our plans for the week. It’s such crappy timing :( 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Is the Qld border shutting tonight?? I thought it was banning hotspots and if Qld residents don’t get home before 1am they have to quarantine? I wouldn’t put it past Annastacia though, she is brutal.

We don’t know what to do about our plans for the week. It’s such crappy timing :( 

I'm so sorry @adidas. Hard border closure from 6am tomorrow morning, with people crossing the border until then if they have a permit. I got this from The Guardian. I hope your plans aren't totally ruined. Wishing you the best for Christmas. 

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

My SIL said shutting, but she may be wrong - it does look like it's quarantining (at this point). Given all of greater Sydney is now a hotspot I think they'll have to quarantine no matter when they get home. In some respects it would have been easier if this had happened a month ago, at least we wouldn't have made plans!

Dammit, read @Katzchen24's post, and yeah, hard border restricting entry. Oh yay. Again. 

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Thank You 1

Okay I’ve checked - no entry for greater Sydney, and need to have a permit for the rest of nsw. All permits will be checked at the barricades which is what they mean by ‘hard border’.

It is so hard to find clear, accurate information! 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic