IGNORED

Coronavirus 4

GreyhoundFan

8 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

My family has been isolating since March 2020 with very limited shopping or pick up, no social gatherings except outside and staying apart, no indoor or outdoor restaurants (occasional take out). I’ve been having stomach issues for a couple weeks and yesterday we were concerned I was showing signed of appendicitis so... off I had to go... to the ER. Guys, it’s terrifying out there. God bless our medical personnel. The ER is full, the hospital is full. There is not enough healthy staff. I got blood work and CT promptly and one doctor visit at 645 am ordering iv antibiotics, then they had to move me to ‘holding... which is the hallway where I sat for 6 hours with no assigned nurse, no room, no doctor orders, no treatment plan, no access to food or water. Finally an overworked nurse who was moved from another floor to help the slammed ER took pity on me, read my case to a random doctor because the doctor name on my file couldn’t be reached and got permission to discharge me with at home antibiotics and promise to follow up... anyone saying this is a hoax or a political thing or just not wanting to mask up and stay home for the greater good is spitting in the face of exhausted, overworked medical staff.

I'm glad you went in. I took my son to the ER a couple of weeks ago with a concussion (don't try and stand on balls, wtaf) and I was surprised at how busy it was (ERs here have a covid and non-covid area, completely separate).  I mentioned that to the nurse, and she said "it was really quiet during the peak because people were avoiding coming in. A lot left it too late because they were afraid of catching covid." 

There are a lot of knock on effects from this virus.

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Good luck.

Hawaii needs to close their borders to travel or require all arrivals stay in quarantine for two weeks before they go downhill. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Just saw this today.

When people left their offices as pandemic lockdowns set in back in March, they probably didn’t realize they’d be gone so long. Some, it turns out, would never return. Now, these long months later, some companies are seeking to cut their losses by offloading empty office space, and landlords are looking to sublease them, often at bargain-basement rates. But what’s inside some of these abandoned offices is less than picturesque.

“I saw on someone’s desk in a plastic bag an English muffin that was past the point of being green and fuzzy. It was dripping this disgusting liquid,” says Emilie Goldman, a broker at the commercial real estate company SquareFoot in New York. “It was so gross. Someone just left this here because they thought they were working from home for the rest of the afternoon.”

She’s been reentering deserted offices and showing them to potential subtenants, and encountering some nasty vestiges of office life past. There’s the rotten milk in office fridges, half-eaten and now rotting snacks on desks, and moldy coffee cups, as well as sad tableaux of dead plants, disheveled desks, and paperwork abandoned mid-completion.

“No one really tidied up their office, like, ‘Oh, let me clean up my office because I might not be back here for a year, or there might be people coming around to take our office.’ That thought didn’t cross anyone’s mind,” Goldman says. “And the responsibility is slightly on me to tidy that up, because it’s my job to sublease the space for my client.”

When I went back in late September to pack up my stuff I was surprised how much stuff I had at the office. I had managed to grab all the essentials including my Keurig but left a lot behind figuring I’d be back in a few weeks.  But my visit in March to get some stuff was the last time I was in the office for six months.  Right afterwards they closed down all access to the site.

At least they gave everyone hour long windows to pack up and weren’t fuckwads about that. I needed about the whole hour to pack everything up. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

I now feel vindicated for being the department refrigerator nazi and asking a coworker to do something with a container that had been left long enough that I kept smelling “something” any time I opened the refrigerator (through a mask).  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

At least they gave everyone hour long windows to pack up and weren’t fuckwads about that. I needed about the whole hour to pack everything up. 

I haven't been in to where I was sitting since the end of March - I was in the "trial working from home" day on the Monday during which they announced that everyone would be working from home from the following day. I was able to go in on the Tuesday to collect the work laptop, and I basically took literally everything personal home. They did allow people in to collect things like screens and chairs to work from home after that but I didn't go in. 

I did go in twice when we had planned power outages, but to a different building - the building where I was based has been completely shut down. 

Now we're talking about planning to go back, even if partially, and... it's going to be challenging.  Personally I don't think we'll even start before Jan, but even then the logistics of keeping teams safe but functioning is tricky. Oh and we're having a major restructure which has been in the planning phase for about 5 years, and probable forced redundancies due to covid. Yay? 

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I haven't been in to where I was sitting since the end of March - I was in the "trial working from home" day on the Monday during which they announced that everyone would be working from home from the following day. I was able to go in on the Tuesday to collect the work laptop, and I basically took literally everything personal home. They did allow people in to collect things like screens and chairs to work from home after that but I didn't go in. 

I did go in twice when we had planned power outages, but to a different building - the building where I was based has been completely shut down. 

Now we're talking about planning to go back, even if partially, and... it's going to be challenging.  Personally I don't think we'll even start before Jan, but even then the logistics of keeping teams safe but functioning is tricky. Oh and we're having a major restructure which has been in the planning phase for about 5 years, and probable forced redundancies due to covid. Yay? 

One place I interviewed at said they were planning on a return to the office in early January but I'm betting that got pushed out given current conditions.  A couple of the other places I interviewed at said it would probably be this summer before they had a return to office. 

I guess we had the option of taking our monitors home with us for the duration but I didn't.  I already had a 27 inch monitor at home and I went and bought a second 27 inch monitor.  They had a truckload of unused monitors at work - I wonder if they sent them somewhere else or just gave them over to an electronics recycling place. 

The building I worked in had been sold about a year ago and even though the lease had just been renewed it sounded like the new owners wanted work to look at moving sooner rather than later so I think even if the pandemic hadn't happened our site would have closed anyways this year. 

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

I now feel vindicated for being the department refrigerator nazi and asking a coworker to do something with a container that had been left long enough that I kept smelling “something” any time I opened the refrigerator (through a mask).  

One place I worked at I assumed that role.  I remember someone put a pop can in the freezer because he wanted to rapidly cool it down.  Problem.  He forgot it was in there and the damn thing later exploded.  After it sat in there a few days I got tired of looking at it so I went and completely cleaned the fridge and freezer out.  This was the weekend my grandpa died so it helped to have something to do at work on the weekend.  I sent a nasty gram to everyone in the area asking them not to put pop cans in the freezer.  I later caught the guilty party doing it again and had to explain that likely: (a) he would forget the can was in there; and (b) the pop can would explode and leave a mess again. 

Plus I became the departmental nazi when it came to keeping the computer operations console clean as well.  There were a couple operators who took the attitude it wasn't their place so it was ok to leave a mess.  The having a thin layer of coffee over the entire console got old after a while and I didn't want to work in a pit.   

• Upvote 8

It would take me FOREVER to pack up all my crap from here at work. I've been here 15 years and have so much STUFF. Like insane amounts of stuff. Toys, plants, mugs, an entire fairy garden, a Christmas tree and decorations, photos, a lava lamp, tons of water bottles and cups... just so much stuff. Luckily while I was on furlough my co-worker who stayed on watered my plants, and we've never really closed because despite what the Rods think you really can't run a busy print shop from home.

I'm hopeful, now that the vaccine is within sight. We've cut hours significantly, and gone to alternating weeks when we're not busy for the positions we have double people on, but haven't laid anyone off and this past week has been very busy. I'm hoping with the election done, vaccines in sight, and a new year beginning soon things will pick up.

One thing that has happened that is sad but good for us - some competitors have gone or are going out of business, or have cut way back on their services. We've picked up a lot of new (to us) equipment over the past few weeks, and are hoping many of their customers will come to us as well. Our goal as a company has been to get through this intact as best we can.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 8

ITT I learned most people have a lot more personal stuff at work than do I.

For me it's a Hello Kitty coffee cup, a lip gloss, a bottle of Trader Joe's sparkling water (grapefruit), a Hello Kitty toothbrush kit (with added floss), and 2 tiny cross stitches (3x4") my sister made me.

Could shove it all in my purse in about 5 seconds and be good to go.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

That's two cross stitches and a lip gloss more than I used to keep at work.  The lip gloss stayed in my handbag.  ?

My first job after college management had a horrible habit of moving us around on almost no notice.  I decided a mug was enough to keep up with and even kept the toothbrush in my handbag there.  After that I never developed the habit of having personal items at work.  

• Upvote 8

I've been home since the 3rd week of March, and I didn't really have any personal stuff at work because I don't have a desk to keep stuff, just part of a cabinet which can hold my purse and the safety vest and company issued hat I sometimes have to wear because of OSHA regulations. I've been told that we could go back in January at the earliest, but unless this spike goes down, I'm beginning to wonder if that's going to be delayed yet again even though I could do my job while social distancing and by wearing a mask. Since I can't do my job from home, when I do go back, most of the company is still going to be working from home until the vaccine is out and most people have gotten it.

I did find out that my SIL's twin sister and her husband have Covid, the tests coming back positive last week, but nobody else that I know of has it at this point.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 6

Oh for the ever loving Rufus  

Someone posted this on our neighborhood list-serve

65630AE5-CA5B-4618-A79E-1A355825E768.jpeg

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 10

While walking my dogs during Thanksgiving break I found it incredibly difficult not to yell "super spreader event" at homes that clearly were exceeding the 10 max person recommendations.  Now I'm hearing of people planning big Christmas get togethers and don't forget the fools that are traveling everywhere sans mask. This is driving me crazy and I just needed to vent. Did I mention it is driving me crazy.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

While walking my dogs during Thanksgiving break I found it incredibly difficult not to yell "super spreader event" at homes that clearly were exceeding the 10 max person recommendations.  Now I'm hearing of people planning big Christmas get togethers and don't forget the fools that are traveling everywhere sans mask. This is driving me crazy and I just needed to vent. Did I mention it is driving me crazy.

I feel the same.  Idk when I'm going to see my daughter again and the people not taking it seriously prolong that and it makes me so mad.

I've heard a lot of people say lately they just assume everyone will get it eventually so it's useless to try to prevent it.  And these are mask wearing people who aren't Trumpers, they just see limiting travel as futile since they think everyone will get it anyway.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 5

Except if 'everyone gets it' - what we want is for everyone not to get it all at the same time so that hospitals/healthcare isn't overrun.  (the idiots)

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Except if 'everyone gets it' - what we want is for everyone not to get it all at the same time so that hospitals/healthcare isn't overrun.  (the idiots)

Oh I know.  I wasn't condoning it - just noticing a lot of people I know jumped from thinking it's not a big deal to assuming we'll all get it.  Missing the critical step of taking it seriously and trying to prevent spread.

That said, I do feel silly sitting alone in my private office with a mask on.  I do take it off for phone calls, after shutting my door, but that's it.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

46 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh I know.  I wasn't condoning it - just noticing a lot of people I know jumped from thinking it's not a big deal to assuming we'll all get it.  Missing the critical step of taking it seriously and trying to prevent spread.

That said, I do feel silly sitting alone in my private office with a mask on.  I do take it off for phone calls, after shutting my door, but that's it.  

This is something I remind myself of whenever I hear from the "we are all going to get it" crowd. Medical science has made great strides in how to treat a severe case of COVID 19 just since last spring. The longer we don't get it, the better the likely outcomes if me my loved ones or I do get it. And now, when it seems likely that a vaccine will become available at some point? (Remember, a lot of experts were worried about whether they would ever be able to vaccinate against COVID 19 back in Spring 2019, since there weren't too many existing vaccines for other coronaviruses.) 

Edited by FiveAcres
cleaned up syntax
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

So I have this direct report fairly new to my team.  She sits in CA and was going on a month or so ago about how much she hates Gavin Newsom and how he has no right to tell her she has to wear a mask or that she can't sing loud and proud in her church.   About a week and a half ago she called in sick with "the flu".  I asked if she got tested, and she said she would never buy into that stupid hoax made up by Democrats.  She would not get tested.  I gave her the number for the company's disabiity carrier and hadn't heard further.

Her sister called me about an hour ago to tell me she's fighting for her life in the hospital.  She may not make it.  I'm going to guess she's about 50. 

As much as I want to feel sympathy, I just can't.  It's one thing to go and get yourself a deadly disease just because you're on TeamTrump.  It's another to feel that you have no responsibility to consider other people.  And from what I've seen of her work, she's not a stupid woman.  

I don't understand how people can behave like this.  Just can't.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 14

2 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I don't understand how people can behave like this.  Just can't.

I can't either.  At the hospital this morning for monthly treatment I watched as the guy waiting across the hall from me tried to sneakily adjust his mask to just below his nose.  I looked down at my phone for a couple of minutes and then started chirping, sir, oh sir, your mask has slipped.  I'm sure you hadn't noticed.  He yanked it up and he didn't touch that thing again waiting to be called.  He's waiting at the hospital for treatment and thinks it's OK to play the pull the mask down game?  Talk about idiots.  

BTW, after seeing one of my doctors and both vets Dawg has seen in the last two weeks double masked.  I double masked going in for treatment.  I wasn't the only one. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic