IGNORED

Coronavirus 4

GreyhoundFan

On 11/18/2020 at 1:09 PM, OHFL2009 said:

I have to admit, I don't fully understand the obsession with taking temperatures. Most people who have a fever will  stay at home anyway, as they probably know they aren't feeling well. The bigger issue in my mind is asymptomatic transmission, which a temperature check is not going to prevent. 

You'd think so but no. Our provincial chief medical officer out right said two weeks ago 

"In Edmonton, nine per cent of active cases worked while they had symptoms. A further eight per cent visited retail or service businesses, and eight per cent attended a social gathering. The data is similar for Calgary, where 11 per cent worked while symptomatic and nine per cent travelled. Further, seven per cent attended a social gathering."

A few months back my sister's FIL became symptomatic on the weekend but refused to be tested on Monday. Went in for a test on Wednesday after getting his shopping done. Thursday he went to a neighboring city to shop and eat out, Friday a different city to visit friends and go out for dinner. Saturday he recieved his negative test results while at a local music festival. 

Some of their grandkids had been with him all weeked. Did they quarantine while they waited for his test results? Nope, their parents took them to a family reunion. ?‍♀️

My sister and her son are high risk. She literally quit her job as a teacher to take an office job just to lower her risk. Her inlaws are mad because she won't let her asthmatic epileptic son with a possible heart condition spend more time with them. 

Honestly, my faith in people right now is not high ?.

• Sad 10

@Skyline  I hear you! It’s crazy what people do in the midst of a fucking pandemic.
My 20 something year old cousin is fully online with his university but parties hard on weekends [emoji849]
This is why strategies who rely on the sense of responsibility and common sense of people don’t work. You need to shut down those places otherwise you have skyrocketing numbers.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
fixed mention formatting
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

My aunt tested positive today. 77 with high blood pressure. Husband is 81 and has Addison's disease, early signs of liver disease (lifelong alcoholic, still drinking), and various heart issues. This won't end well. 

Their activities in the last week: 

Saturday: Football watch party at their son's house with maybe 20 people. No masks. No distancing. 

Sunday: Church. No masks. No distancing. She recently explained to my mother that it's fine at their church as they are all "older people" and "it's small". Because that makes sense. 

Tuesday: Had a random couple from 150 miles away visit in their tiny condo for a few hours. No masks. No distancing. 

Wednesday: A nephew (not our side of the family) brought them a deer and stayed for dinner. No masks. No distancing. 

Thursday: Two family friends picked up the deer to process for them. Stayed for an hour or two. No masks. No distancing. 

Friday: Aunt had symptoms. 

Today: Went to urgent care for rapid test. When asked if she'd seen people outside of her household, been to social gatherings, etc...she told them she had only been to the grocery store in the past week. So she was marked down as "community spread" from unknown source and told that, indeed, she may have picked it up at the grocery store. 

Her reason for lying: she "didn't want to get anyone in trouble" and "didn't want anyone to have to quarantine". 

People like her are why we can't have nice things, America! 

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 20

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Thanksgiving should provide another boost. 

AFAIC, anyone well enough to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving this year should show their appreciation by staying TF away from anyone they don't co-isolate with.

Selfish assholes.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My aunt tested positive today. 77 with high blood pressure. Husband is 81 and has Addison's disease, early signs of liver disease (lifelong alcoholic, still drinking), and various heart issues. This won't end well. 

Saturday: Football watch party at their son's house with maybe 20 people. No masks. No distancing. 

Sunday: Church. No masks. No distancing. She recently explained to my mother that it's fine at their church as they are all "older people" and "it's small". Because that makes sense. 

Tuesday: Had a random couple from 150 miles away visit in their tiny condo for a few hours. No masks. No distancing. 

Wednesday: A nephew (not our side of the family) brought them a deer and stayed for dinner. No masks. No distancing. 

Thursday: Two family friends picked up the deer to process for them. Stayed for an hour or two. No masks. No distancing. 

Today: Went to urgent care for rapid test. When asked if she'd seen people outside of her household, been to social gatherings, etc...she told them she had only been to the grocery store in the past week. So she was marked down as "community spread" from unknown source and told that, indeed, she may have picked it up at the grocery store. 

Her reason for lying: she "didn't want to get anyone in trouble" and "didn't want anyone to have to quarantine". 

I am just... where on earth do you go with that? Specific questions and phone metadata might be a start - and if someone else gets it and names her as a potential contact then I hope they go back and ask some hard questions, because this is ridiculous.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I am just... where on earth do you go with that? Specific questions and phone metadata might be a start - and if someone else gets it and names her as a potential contact then I hope they go back and ask some hard questions, because this is ridiculous.

Right? I’d figure out how to report it but other than her idiot son and his wife, I have no idea who the people she’s been around are. My mom just pieced all this together by texts she’s got from her each day. Mom asked about masks today in response to the diagnosis and aunt told her they don’t wear them around their friends and family. My mom hasn’t been around them because she knew they’ve not been taking it seriously since the beginning.  And that’s a lot on their idiot son and daughter-in-law. They are gun loving, Trump cultist, Covid deniers. 
The general extended family response to her getting it has been surprise that it took this long for them or one of their kids or grandkids to get it. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 8
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 11/21/2020 at 3:29 AM, clueliss said:

What the hell is wrong with people? Supervisors did WHAT??????

I hope they lose, badly, and that any relevant OH&S  agencies come down on them hard too. 

11 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

:roll:

They are going to charge him the full cost of treatment, right?

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, louisa05 said:

It is frustrating, isn't it:? My FIL passed away from Covid 2 days ago. He didn't even go for a test until he had bee sick for 10/11 days and needed to go to the hospital. He then spent 12 days in the ICU before he died. He lived in another state and my husband did the best he could to contact trace. Several other people he was with also tested positive, but none had severe symptoms. But he had been to church, out to breakfast with friends and several other places before having symptoms and when symptoms first started. The town he lived i was small, around 1500 people but most of the are older and the nearest full hospital is almost 2 hours away. It is a recipe for disaster. You would think his friends would take things more seriously ow that he was so sick and passed away but one of them seem to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 21

@Skyline are you hearing rumours of a lockdown here in Alberta too? I’ve heard it 3 times this week from three completely unrelated sources. I’m in Edmonton. 

7 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

@Skyline are you hearing rumours of a lockdown here in Alberta too? I’ve heard it 3 times this week from three completely unrelated sources. I’m in Edmonton. 

I think people are looking at BC and Manitoba and getting scared. 

I'm just tired. The conspiracy theorists who don't believe covid is real or believe that it's just a cold or flu are driving me nut. They just keep having big get togethers, going out while sick, refusing to mask, etc. 

If we lock down it's going to because we couldn't control the spread and the people who do most of the damage won't follow lockdown rules anyways. 

I have several very high risk family members and I honestly feel like I'm going to lose at least one before this thing is through. 

• Love 19

Los Angeles is stopping even outdoor dining due the rapid increase in cases.

Someone on our street is ratting out our neighbors.  More police visits today.  I don't mind.  They shouldn't be having people over unmasked and indoors or having birthday parties (see post above). 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Listening to a podcast about coronavirus (coronacast) which is talking about evidence of some level of seasonal transmission. Apparently current modelling is predicting that deaths in the US will peak around inauguration day. Two thoughts - this is going to send the Trumpers right over the edge, and to quote the podcast host "If Biden were to be like Trump he'd be claiming credit for the decline on day 2 of his Presidency."

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I wish all of our FJ american friends a good Thanksgiving despise everything that is going on in the world. I hope you and all your family members will stay safe.

This week, our provincial government in Quebec has released their recommendations for the holiday season. In Canada, public health is managed by province. We will be allowed to see people between Dec. 24th to Dec. 27th but limited to 10 people per gathering and the population is asked to limit the number of gatherings. Not see 10 different people everday for those 4 days.

We have been on lockdown, since early october and it did help stabilized the number of new cases per day. It would be better if the cases had really dropped, but at least, the lockdown did flatten the curve. I say that for our Ontarian neighbors, whom I know are starting this week another 1 month lockdown in the Toronto metro area. It may seem bleak to return into lockdown, but it can help.

Which is why I really don't know what that little 4 day window will do for the pandemic. I agree we have less cases than in the US., so the pandemic is a bit more contained here. Maybe this is why we are allowed to have some gatherings? I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit thorn. On one hand, I'm scared of the consequences that this 4 days permission will bring to the number of cases.

But on the other hand, my parents have invited us for Christmas dinner and I kind of wanted to go. (PLEASE don't judge me FJ! ?) They were thinking of inviting probably 2 or 4 adults max. + them (so below the 10 people limit). We were planning on wearing masks thoughout the night and only removing ours for dinner. We kind of know it's a risk, but it seems the province has allowed a certain level of risk in general.

On another subject: as soon as the news was announced, I have friends on Facebook who went: ''We have a 4 days permission: let's organized a party on the 26th or 27th! GO!'' and I was like: NOPE. Sorry, if I see people during that window, it will be my parents only. I'm not stupid enough to go to a house party with 5 other couples.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Alberta is out of control and we get an announcement tomorrow with new restrictions. Since we are the only province without a mask mandate I have no idea what to expect.  Mask rules are left to the municipal governments. 

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-reports-more-covid-19-cases-on-sunday-than-any-other-province-1.5200077

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

Yeah, the situation is kind of turning now in Canada. During the first wave of the pandemic from march to may, Quebec certainly was the worst of all the provinces in terms of numbers. Since May, masks have been mandatory in public transit and businesses. And like I explained previously, certain area of the province, depending on what ''zone'' you were in (red zone being the most critical) have been back on lockdown since early October. It's not a question of bragging (because no one can really mock their neighbor during a pandemic, and I really wish for everyone to get through this). At least it simply shows that some of these measures seem to show their effect after all.

Since the lockdown, our cases have stayed at around 1100-1200 new declared cases per day for a population of 8.5 million. So the curve at least stays stable and doesn't go up. It isn't perfect. It would have been best if the cases had really go down more drastically, but it is probably a because of the schools that we are unable to really go below the 1000 cases per day.

Elementary schools are still open even in lockdown. The government seems really adamant to keeping elementary schools open at all cost. While it is true that children are less affected and seems to transmit the virus less as well; a school is also full of adults that can spread the disease to one another. The state-sponsored daycares (yes we have that in Quebec) have also stayed open during the pandemic. My mom has been retired from the public daycare system for a few years but still has some contacts, and it seems that from what she is hearing, it's always the daycare workers (so the adults) that bring in the virus within an establishment. High school and higher education has been done remotely for the most part since the lockdown (I say the most part, because I know some of the younger highschoolers are doing half the week at home and half at school).

I really wish that Alberta and Ontario will be able to at slow the hike in numbers as much as possible. Best of luck!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

Alberta is out of control and we get an announcement tomorrow with new restrictions. Since we are the only province without a mask mandate I have no idea what to expect.  Mask rules are left to the municipal governments. 

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-reports-more-covid-19-cases-on-sunday-than-any-other-province-1.5200077

FB_IMG_1606157049759.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

My family has been isolating since March 2020 with very limited shopping or pick up, no social gatherings except outside and staying apart, no indoor or outdoor restaurants (occasional take out). I’ve been having stomach issues for a couple weeks and yesterday we were concerned I was showing signed of appendicitis so... off I had to go... to the ER. Guys, it’s terrifying out there. God bless our medical personnel. The ER is full, the hospital is full. There is not enough healthy staff. I got blood work and CT promptly and one doctor visit at 645 am ordering iv antibiotics, then they had to move me to ‘holding... which is the hallway where I sat for 6 hours with no assigned nurse, no room, no doctor orders, no treatment plan, no access to food or water. Finally an overworked nurse who was moved from another floor to help the slammed ER took pity on me, read my case to a random doctor because the doctor name on my file couldn’t be reached and got permission to discharge me with at home antibiotics and promise to follow up... anyone saying this is a hoax or a political thing or just not wanting to mask up and stay home for the greater good is spitting in the face of exhausted, overworked medical staff.

• Love 23

On 11/18/2020 at 7:17 PM, Ozlsn said:

That is so weird to me - how they think a workplace with people coming in sick is going to benefit anyone I don't know.

I have no sick days, either. Worked here 15 years, and if I stay home sick, I don't get paid. And on at least one occasion I've called in, been told I absolutely have to come in anyway, and did. Though the boss did buy me chicken soup for lunch that day.

They're not mean about it, but it's a small place and money is tight. A couple years ago I was out for a week with the flu and they did pay me a small amount because they felt sorry for me, but yeah if I'm sick I don't get paid. They are being more careful now, since the boss is high risk, and at least one person has had to have a test before coming back from being sick, so there's that. 

On 11/20/2020 at 4:53 AM, Smash! said:

This is why strategies who rely on the sense of responsibility and common sense of people don’t work. You need to shut down those places otherwise you have skyrocketing numbers.

This. So much.

There are people all over my facebook going on about "muh rights" and how you can't control people and you have to let people make their own decisions. The problem is there are SO MANY STUPID PEOPLE. So many. People are idiotic, willfully stupid, won't use their brains. You can't just say "this is what you SHOULD do" because way too many people just won't do those things, at all.

My regard for humanity is just sinking lower and lower. At this point I kind of wish there was a way to have the sensible people all do a hard complete isolated lockdown for 8 weeks or so and let the idiots all go infect each other. Hospitals are for people who are isolating only.  If you're not isolating wear a nametag so we can ID your body afterward. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic